Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Good News for Competitive X and Y

Cecil-Jacobs

That Mawile sounds beast. 

We should all trade FCs, I have no idea why I never thought to do that haha. More Friend Safari are always nice.

My FC is 2294-3932-9688 and my type is Poison with Garbodor, Cascoon, and Drapion.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

4425-1511-7084 with Dragons. Dragonair, Druddigon, and Fraxure.

--

The destructor has gone

December 1, 2013 at 1:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

3265-6404-7082

Yeah, Mawile is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Only problem is figuring out the ideal moveset to give her. Also, Ultra Mawile looks sick.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

December 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I just looked up Mawile's new movepool for the first time and good lord, the world is your Cloyster. If you have two Heart Scales to spare, Play Rough and Iron Head are obvious STAB options that you'd otherwise have to wait til endgame for. Going along with that you've got Crunch/Sucker Punch, Brick Break, your preference of Rock Tomb/Rock Slide/Stone Edge, Power-Up Punch if you want some form of setup, Stockpile/Swallow for a defensive set... So many options.

--

The destructor has gone

December 1, 2013 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Just a quick update on my competitive status: I've just been inspired by an idea for a Poke that has made me completely reconsider the whole team. Fortunately I still have a good bit of time before the break when (presumably) the formation of our metagame will begin, but... yeah. Redoing everything.

--

The destructor has gone

December 2, 2013 at 1:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I've been using my Sunny Day triple team to much success at the Masion but I can't imagine it is worth much else and with weather nerfs I don't think it will be a viable Single Battle team. So I'm still pretty far behind having a team either.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Mixed feels about the weather nerfs. As glad as I am to see the decline of Sand and Rain teams, I'm just as saddened by the demise of the Hail team. That's something I wanted to try ever since your epic Stallrein battle with Diddy a few years back, and now it seems I'll never get to.

If there's one thing I'll miss about perma-Sand though, it's Curse Regirock. Another sweet trick you showed me that I've missed the boat on :T

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2013 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Aww crap man, why'd you have to remind me of that? 

Now I'm going to miss him too T_T

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 3, 2013 at 12:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Tha BOSS, if I remember correctly? Boy did that thing live up to its name.

Great. Now I feel like reminiscing about old 4th Gen Pokes.

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2013 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

The Boss was the name yeah haha. He really was scary, pure rock is actualy pretty defensible it was only when you mix it wiht ground and Steel that it fails. 

Do you remember Cresselia? Or Uxie? I doubt those Pokes could exist anymore in this meta. Too much Dark and Ghost moves flying around.

Back in the Day when MixMence was the end of the world. You were almost guranteed to lose a pokemon in your attempt to predict it's moveset.

Those were the days.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I'm gonna give Uxie a shot again, especially since my set is more support/troll than true wall. I hope that shiny one you made me for my birthday will go through Transfer, but even if it doesn't, I have a near-identical non-shiny one that I caught myself.

And Cress, how could I ever forget her! Mine was lolbad Nature with EVs all over the place and most of my friends still threatened to stop battling me if I used her again XD I always wanted to get a really good one... I still have a farmable encounter in White 2, I may just see if I can't make her if not fearsome, at least usable in 6th. Yeah, you're probably right about those two, but I love them too much to just abandon them. I'll give em both a shot at least.

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I have an extra 4V Seismic Toss Chansey (4V because both Attacks stats don't matter since it is an Evoilte Chansey build).

Who wants it?

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

While I am waiting on you guys to respond to the above as well I thought I would talk about some ideas I had while in the shower yesterday that appear to be viable but I would love to hear second opinions of.

My first idea spawned the second which is why I'll only be discussing the Dragonite line.

First idea was for using Weakness Policy. If you don't know, Weakness policy is a held item that boosts Attack and Sp.Att +2 when the holder is hit with a Super-Effective move. 

My thinking was taking a Bulky Nite with Multiscale and give it either DD or Agility. On  your first turn you should be able to DD/Agility and then be hit by a Dragon/Rock/Ice/Fairy move but survive b/c of Multiscale. Then your Looking at a Nite with +3/+2/+1 or +2/+2/+2 depending on if you pick Agility or DD.

Looking at Multiscale Nite it can take a Banded Mamoswine's Ice Shard and still live

252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Multiscale Dragonite: 206-246 (53.3 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, on retaliation it doesn't quite kill the Mam even at +3.

+2 0+ Atk Dragonite Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 196-231 (54.2 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It makes me sad but do you think there is still merit to be had or a way to fix it? Mam is probably the scariest thing a Nite would face but the fact it can't win even at +3 is a little sad. Maybe it is late game sweeper material?

The other idea I had was for Dragonaire. Remember Marvel Scale Milotic from RSE times? Same idea but with Evolite to boost the defense further. Calcs!

252+ Atk Choice Band Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 252 HP / 0+ Def Eviolite Marvel Scale Dragonair: 126-150 (38.6 - 46%) -- 16% chance to 2HKO after burn damage

That is some serious stopping power without any Defense investment imo. The only problem I find is getting a status on the Nair while holding Evolite as well so my thinking was a Rest/Talker

Rest

SleepTalk

Toxic

Dragon  Tail/Dragon Claw

She would end up asleep more often than not to trigger Marvel Scale but it could spread all types of chaos with Toxic and Dragon Tail. Not to mention if you had Rocks and Spikes up (although Defog looks to kill most status hazing attempts)

Anyway just some musings here.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 7, 2013 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I wants it! Me, me!

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2013 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring your Nite/Nair set ideas, I just wanted to make sure I was indeed first to claim that Chansey ^.^' ALWAYS wanted a good S-Toss Chansey.

That Nite is scary good, but yeah, since there seems to be no way to OHKO Mamo, I'd probably just chalk that up as a perfect counter and set it up to kill literally everything else that doesn't have STAB Ice Shard. Team reveal will let you know if that's a concern before you even start the match anyway, you could easily plan accordingly and save the Nite until after you've handled the Mamo. Personally, I'd probably go Agility over DD but I can see merit to both.

That Dragonair is really interesting as well. The only problem I could see is that any Fairy at all ruins its phasing/non-Toxic damage. I know Florges in particular gets Aromatherapy, and of course there's always Magic Guard Clefable (cannot WAIT to transfer a good one of those over). So even if Nair is specially bulky enough to take their Moonblasts, it's at best a pure stalemate. Still definitely worth using though, I think.

You bring up an interesting point about Defog, too. Do you know if you can transfer over (from 4th to 5th, I mean) a Pokémon who learned Defog from TM in HG/SS? I know it won't let you transfer HM moves, but since Defog lost its HM status in Johto, I don't know if that means there's some way to bring over more competitively viable Pokes who get it through TM. Which would be huge, as by my estimation, the only good Poke that can learn it through breeding is Crobat.

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2013 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Scizor and Mandibuzz are also considered good users of Defog the latter is making some big waves this gen if you check the Smogon boards. She may have jumped 2 tiers!

As for transfering Defog, I do not know. I think that is the #1 question on every competative player's mind this gen if we will be able to transfer Defog. 

If we can it may end most entry hazards as we know it besides SR (which is so easy to set. It will change to bulky setters though since Defog is pretty much unblockable).

I'm available anytime to trade you that Chansey, just text me and I'll head to a wi-fi spot!

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 7, 2013 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Defog on a Scizor, really? Is there some kind of utility set that's being used now?

I also figured the arrival of Fairies and the removal of perma-sand would only weaken Mandibuzz, but more power to it for the popularity boon. I've always been a fan of the buzzard.

Oh, hey, I wish I'd checked this before I posed the question but Bulbapedia's page on Defog says that a Pokemon that knows Defog can be transferred to Black and White, but only from HeartGold or SoulSilver. This opens it up to Aero, Gliscor, Skarm, Empoleon, and Togekiss, just to name a few obvious good users that jump out at me.

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Skarm and empoleon. That alone makes me think Hazard setting will be severly hampered.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Hey, just noticed the changes in critical hit mechanics for this Gen. (Scroll to the bottom)

While crits as a whole just got less devastating, Super Luck Absol's Night Slash is now a scary thing indeed.

--

The destructor has gone

December 8, 2013 at 1:33 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Well, I've also missed my goal of having the team ready by the start of Christmas break, but I do have four members bred (maybe three... trying to decide if I'm going to be okay with a single-digit defensive IV on a sweeper). As fast as EV training goes these days I should have that done in under an hour, even with the spastic mixed spreads I like to run.

--

The destructor has gone

December 12, 2013 at 9:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments