Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Video Games (Miscellaneous) > Kerbal Space Program

Vesicant Lemur

Not so long ago, on a planet closer than you'd think, there lived a little green man named Jebediah Kerman. Jebediah was the proprietor of a small junkyard, but he had big dreams. He spent his quiet nights staring up at the night sky in wonder, wishing that he could fly among the stars.

Anytime he shared these dreams with others, however, he was met only with derisive laughter or looks of concern.

"It's too dangerous to go to space!"

"If Kod wanted us to fly, he would have given us wings!"

You see, most of the Kerbal people are either cowardly, stupid, or most likely, both.

But not Jebediah. The spirit of adventure was strong in him and he used his inventive mind to build strange and complicated machines, half of which never worked, a quarter exploded immediately (regardless of the presence of anything explosive), and an eighth was never spoken of again. But the remainder worked beyond anyone's expectations. They were mostly impractical, however, so despite regional notoriety, he remained a poor junkyard proprietor.

One day, while drinking a beer on his front porch and looking over his junkyard, he had an idea.

He ran pell-mell across the junkyard, gathering up bits of scrap, metal tubing and discarded fireworks and locked himself inside his workshop.

Three days passed and his family and friends grew concerned. But finally, he emerged carrying an invention he called a "rocket". After he explained its purpose to his confused loved one, he was once again met with the same reactions he always recieved.

But this time, he ignored them and carried his rocket to a clearing in the junkyard. He set it straight up, nose pointing to the sky, lit the fuse and stood a few feet back while everyone else dove behind cover, already knowing how many of Jebediah's inventions ended.

The flame inched its way acros the fuse and into the rocket and... nothing. After a few nervous seconds, Kerbals started popping their heads out from their cover. But just as the last Kerbal believed it was safe, the rocket took off screaming into the sky!

Jebediah was hooked. He spent the months that followed building bigger and bigger rockets, honing his fuel formulas and stuffing various animals into capsules mounted on top of them. After his 13th test, his test subject came back alive. He decided it was finally time to test his rocket personally.

"My name is Jebediah Kerman."

"And today, I am history's first kerbalnaught."

At this point, the town was used to Jebediah's antics, but this time was bigger than anything he'd done before. The launch of the Kerbin 14 rocket caught the attention of half the town. Jebediah smashing the sound barrier caught the other half. As his solid rocket fuel emptied and the capsule's ascent zeroed out, he stared out his tiny window towards the Mun and thought "You've done it, Jeb. Higher than anyone."

The rattle of his rocket as it descended back through the atmosphere knocked Jebediah out of his reverie. He fired the explosive bolts and seperated his capsule from the rocket and launched the parchute that would, hopefully, bring him safely to the ground.

Jebediah stared nervously at his makehift altimeter as the hands quickly declined, when finally his chute opened in full, slowing the capsule with a heavy jerk.

Scared and curious folks from the town watched as the capsule slowly descended and touched down. They crowded around the capsule and jumped when the hatch opened. Everyone stared in awe as Jebediah, the one they'd ridiculed and doubted for years, climbed out and triumphantly set foot on Kerbin.

10 years later, Jebediah's foolhardy mission caught the eye of the world and the government has started the Kerbal Aeronautics and Space Administration (KASA) to explore space in defiance of the Kerbal's natural cowardice and in pursuit of expanding knowledge.

You are in charge of approving new craft for construction, deciding what missions KASA will undertake  and managing our budget. Despite the enthusiasm with which most Kerbals have embraced the new program, money is still tight in these uncertain economic times. We have to make every penny count.

Our brave Kerbalnaughts and Kerbals everywhere are counting on you to see this program become a success. God Speed.

---

I'll explain the rules in another post. For now, this took far too long to put together and I have plans tomorrow morning, so I'll just go ahead and post what I have and worry about the details later.

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

May 31, 2013 at 1:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

This looks awesome, Lemur, thank you for taking the time to put this together. Take your time going forward, if you're busy; I check this site just about hourly, and I know X visits when he can, but outside of us two there's no telling if you'll get any other comments on this for awhile.

Which makes me nervous, cause it's now up to me to mismanage KASA to its doom, it seems. Maybe I can avoid driving the ENTIRE program into the ground before we get more returning members? I'll know more when I see the rules, I guess!

--

The destructor has gone

May 31, 2013 at 2:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I will gladly help in trying to run this thing into the opposite of the ground!

--

June 1, 2013 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Even if there are only a couple people participating, it's still an excuse to challenge myself in this game. In fact, I have a bit of a confession: I've never actually left Kerbin's sphere of influence. I've gone to the Mün quite a few times and Minmus once or twice, but never another planet. So this'll be new territory for me.

Also, it wasn't until I finished writing Jebediah's little origin story that I realized I had no idea how I was going to run this, so bear with me while I try to balance things and if you have any suggestions to make this more engaging, feel free to let me know.

---

RULES:

KASA has been given an annual budget of 100 million SB (Space Bucks (The little Kerbals have gone so stir crazy over space exploration, they unanimously renamed their currency)). For every successful mission, you will be refunded 75% of the construction cost of the vehicle(s) used. Secondary objectives will carry extra rewards, if you choose to persue them.

If a mission ends in "unexpected spontaneous disassembly", it comes out of your pockets. Thankfully, we have good old Jebediah and our crack team of pilots behind the controls.

Currently, the Kerbals have just begun their foray into space and are still limited in their technology. Opportunites may arise to research new parts and technology, leading to better rockets, new secondary objectives for more cash and more things to go horribly, horribly wrong in deep space.

This will be a permadeath game. I'm not going to save scum to undo ANY stupid mistake. If Jebediah dies, even if it's because of a mistake in the rocket staging that results in an explosion on the launch pad, that's what we'll roll with. It's the KSP way. Also, while I have access to an awesome, nearly infallible autopilot through mods, I will not be using it except to create maneuver nodes which tell me where to go. ALL flying will be done maually. Consider this your one and only warning.

---

Before we throw you new administrators to the wind, here's the KliffNotes on what we know about the Planets and *Moons in our solar system, starting from the innermost planet and going out.

Moho: A small, sun-scorched rock with no atmosphere. To avoid skin cancer and boiling flesh, KASA recommends SPF +9000.

Eve: A large, purple planet with an incredibly thick atmosphere. Scientists decribe surface conditions as "slightly better than hellish."

*Gilly: A tiny asteroid captured in Eve's gravity well. Warning: Olympians jumping on Gilly's surface may reach escape velocity.

Kerbin: This is our homeplanet silly. The blue and green gem of the Kerbol system.

*Mün: A large, gray moon potmarked with craters

*Minmus: Described by KASA scientists as "a dirty snowball"

Duna: A red, sandy planet with a suffocatingly thin atmosphere. Scientists warn travelers to watch for wormsign.

*Ike: A rocky moon tidally locked with Duna.

Dres: A Dwarf Planet 70% the size of the Mün. Ground observation has seen what may be ice water.

Jool: A green gas giant. KASA scientists recommend against attempting to land on Jool, claiming "your insides will turn to mush and be forced out your eye sockets."

*Laythe: This ocean-covered moon is dotted with archipelagos and has a breathable, though very cold, atmosphere. Laythe is a prime target in the search for extraterrestrial life.

*Vall: A mountainous ball of snow and ice with no atmosphere. Jebediah is already picking out slopes to shred.

*Tylo: This moon is the size of Kerbin and completely bafffles KASA scientists by lacking an atmosphere. What's up with that?

*Bop: A very hilly and uneven moon, possibly composed of carbon or iron oxide. In Kerbal mythology, Bop was the name of the dwelling of the Space Kraken.

*Pol: The smallest of the Joolian moons. The discoverer originally thought it was a grain of pollen on his telescope.

Eeloo: The final planet in the Kerbol system, it has a highly eccentric orbit and appears to be scarred with deep canyons.

---

TLDR:

Now, if you've managed to slog through that wall of text, or if you just skipped down here, here's the situation:

The brand new KASA program has all the civies excited as hell and Jebediah is itching to get his bootprints on the Mün. However, such a mission at this point would be very dangerous, reckless and, most important, expensive. The military has approached us with a low risk proposition. We put 3 satellites in Low Kerbin Orbit so they have a more secure line of communication and can eavesdrop on the enemy more easily. Or if you have anything else in mind, I can pass it on to the engineers and they can give you a cost and success estimate. So what'll it be?

Manned Mün Landing:

Cost: Unknown until simulations run (Predicted ~50-80 million SB)

Chance of success: Unknown until simulations run (Predicted Low)

Seconday Objectives:

Buzz Aldrin: Bring at least one other Kerbal to the Mün to forever live in obscurity as the second . (15 million SB)

Crater Landing: Land in the center of a crater for a better photo op. Research says this boosts civie morale. (5 million SB, +10 million SB/year)

Military "Communication" Satellites:

Cost: 30 million SB (50 million SB if Secondary Objectives persued)

Chance of Success: High

Secondary Objectives:

Eye in the Sky: Put 5 satellites in orbit (3 equatorial, 2 polar). Tin foil sales among civies may see an unepected increase. (5 million SB, +10 million SB/year)

--

June 1, 2013 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Go for the satellites. While awesome, a Mün landing doesn't seem very responsible for the time being.

--

The destructor has gone

June 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Definitely satellites, might as well play it safe for the first mission.

--

June 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Boy, I'd hate to be the one to tell Jebediah he's not going to the Mün today. He came into work with his suitcases ready and everything. Oh well, maybe the new action figure the toy companies made of him will occupy him until he can go on a real mission.

The military is quite happy, however. Colonel Wilkshire Kerman, some eggheads in uniform and armed guards came with the payload delivery. The Colonel made some big speech that made me glad I learned to sleep with my eyes open during boring meetings while the eggheads went over the details of the payload with our engineers.

The satellites are 150kg each, feature two antennae, are powered on the dayside by 2 foldable solar panels and on the nightside by 2 rechargable AA batteries.

After a few hours of designing, simulating and redesigning, the engineers came up with a cheap and efficient single stage rocket to deliver the satellites to low orbit.

---

Before launch, let's talk money real quick.

Starting Balance: SB 100.00M

Net Cost/Rocket: SB 7.425M (Minus the payload cost. The military's footing that bill.)

Total Mission Cost: SB 37.125M

Ending Balance: SB 62.875M

Now, onto the launchpad!

---

LOECS1

The military just loves their inpenetrable acronyms. I doubt the colonel even knows what it stands for. In any case, the first launch went "okay".

Everything was going smoothly until, during the circularization burn, the remote pilot was "distracted" by the new adorkable intern delivering coffee. And by distracted, I mean she spilled scalding coffee onto his crotch and he had to be rushed to the hospital.

Luckily, Frank, the backup pilot, quickly took over, but the rocket had already burned a few seconds too long and was in a highly eccentric orbit. The pilot attempted to fix it with the remaining fuel, and instead put the satellite into a decaying orbit that will eventually turn it into a burning streak across the sky.

...Maybe the uniforms won't notice.

LOECS2

This launch also went fine, at first. But a miscalculation and then overcorrection left the satellite in an eccentric AND inclined orbit. At least this one will stay up there. Hopefully.

LOECS3

Rocket science is hard.

The circularization burns are doing everything but circularizing.

Frank was about to give up on this one and just leave it on its wild orbit, but then he looked at his autographed picture of Jebediah.

Did Jebediah give up when his test rockets exploded on the launch pad? No.

Did Jebediah give up when the parachutes he'd hand sewn from table clothes ripped to shreds, destroying weeks of work?! No!

Did Jebediah give up when the pet dog he raised from a puppy died in a horrific blazing inferno that then crashed into a school during a ballet recital!?! NO!

And if Jebediah Motherfucking Kerman didn't give up, neither would Frank!

The rocket had a cough of fuel left. Along with some careful planning and timing, those last few drops of fuel were all he needed to push the craft into a near perfect 71km orbit.

Only to be promptly ruined by the force of the decoupler detattching the satellite from the rocket.

Oh well. It's still better than everything else so far.

LOPCS1

The launch of the first polar satellite was relatively uneventful.

As with the other launches, there was a lot of jockeying trying to properly circularize the orbit, which Frank did manage to do... at 100km.

LOPCS2

The second polar satellite was the only launch to go right from start to finish. Frank finally got the hang of timing the burns just right and creating an even circle orbit. Still needs to take into account the decoupler force though.

---

So, in all, we successfully launched and put into orbit 4 satellites and 1 expensive falling star for some kid to wish upon. We also achieved the mission's secondary objective for a little extra cash and a small annual bonus.

Here's the rundown of the kickbacks:

Starting Balance: SB 62.875M

Starting Annual Budget: SB 100.00M

Refund: SB 22.275M

Secondary Reward: SB 5.000M + SB 10.000M/yr

Total Reward: SB 27.275M

New Balance: SB 90.150M

New Annual Budget: SB 110.00M

---

There are now three new mission opportunities:

The science boys over at KERN are getting all kinds of excited over some new subatomic particle they're calling the Gravioli. They want us to put 2 detectors in a roughly 120km orbit. They're not too picky about getting it exactly right, the detectors just need to be above the atmosphere to work. These detectors may lead to new discoveries in science, which means new toys to play with.

The military also has another project for us. They want a network of 6 satellites in a 500km orbit that can be used to determine your exact position on Kerbin at any time. They're calling the project KPS, whatever the hell that means.

The TV networks are also wanting a piece of the space pie. They want to put 3 transmission satellites in geosynchronous (2,868.75km) orbit. They're willing to pay us 1/10,000 of their annual revenue every year for helping expand their monopoly.

KERN Gravioli Detectors:

Cost: ~SB 10-20M

Chance of Success: High

Secondary Objectives:

None

Success will grant access to new technology

Military KPS:

Cost: High

Chance of Success: Medium-Low

Secondary Objectives:

Always Connected: Time and angle orbits so that at least three are visible from any point on Kerbin /most/ of the time. (SB 60.00M)

Satellite TV:

Cost: Medium-High

Chance of Success: Medium

Secondary Objectives:

Global Saturation: Position satellites so that at least one is visible from any location on the equator (SB 30.00M)

Success will increase annual budget by SB 4.00M

--

June 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Gravioli Detectors! I guess satellite TV too, but on the backburner. The military can suck it.

--

The destructor has gone

June 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

624 views - 0 comments
818 views - 4 comments