Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Generation 6 Announced

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Well, so much for getting caught up to 5th Gen, here.

BEHOLD.

Some early thoughts:

-About damn time the masses finally have a reason to go out and buy a 3DS. Also about time they updated the series to match the graphical capabilities of modern Nintendo systems. I personally don't feel the current graphics, or even the graphics as of HG/SS, hindered the series, but I do believe as a developer you may as well maximize the quality of what you have to work with.

-A worldwide launch virtually guarantees a pure experience for us the first time we play; no more 6-month waiting period in which we must carefully browse the interwebs to avoid Japanese spoilers.

-My gut reaction to these starters was better than Gen 5's; the grass and water ones are kind of okay, but I love the fire-starter. Going to have to insist on a female for it, though; hopefully they finally adjust the standard 87.5% male starter ratio. And of course, all opinions on starter design are subject to be thrown out the window upon revelation of the third form. I can actually see an awesome, tanky beaver thing for poor little Chespin. For now though, he just looks like an Ohsa-wannabe.

-The Legendaries intrigue me. Going to have to see typing and BSTs before I get too excited, though.

-It appears as though non-Gen 6 Pokemon will be available in this adventure. I like this.

-This kills Gen 5 for me, competitively. I never liked the metagame as much as Gen 4's, hell, I never even felt like it really even properly formed. Smogon showed once and for all they had no clue what they were doing, and our battlers here sadly never got together to do it right(er). Gen 6 and its worldwide launch presents us with a double-barreled reason to abandon Gen 5: The fact that we'll have no idea what's viable until October, with no solid basis for a metagame likely until months after that, and the fact that Gen 5 now has an end in sight. If, in 2 years, we got no further than we are now, why should we suddenly get it together for a game that will be antiquated in a mere 9 months? And aside from truly transcendant Pokemon that always have been and always will be competitively relevant (Gyarados, Blissey, Tyranitar, Metagross, among others), what's the point in preemptively raising battlers for the future now, with no way of knowing how they'll stack up later? From now until October, I will continue trying to complete my Pokedex so I can hatch .1% shinies whenever I please. And I'll still battle with my current roster of 5th Gen Pokes, of course. But this announcement means I'm done growing.

-As for Competitive 6th Gen, I am optimistic thanks to Black and White 2; Game Freak showed they understood they nerfed competitive play way too strongly in Black and White 1, and made significant steps to ease the pain of losing the auto-100 bump with the Join Avenue and the Tower/Treehollow. I don't think we'll see a system shock the likes of which we saw between HG/SS and B/W; if they just give us similar tools in X and Y, or God forbid, bring back the lv.100 wifi bump, we'll be just fine.

--

The destructor has gone

January 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I just saw the trailer before coming here, and honestly, this is the first time in a very long time I have been excited for a Pokemon game.  I doubt I'll get competitive with it, but I'll definitely be picking up this title. Can't decide which of the starters I like more.  As much as I loved Snivy, I didn't like the grass type in this go.  Stuck between the frog and the fox.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

January 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Just saw it, this is what I get for not going to the internet all day!

Gotta say I really love that they are fully rendering the game in 3D. I completely agree that the graphical qualities of the games have never been up to snuff (I have heard groans from the internet that we could have had full .gifs of Pokemon in battle by Gen 3, the hardware could have handled it). I expect a skyrocket in 3DS sales on the horizon, I know I am getting one.

- I am so glad they decided to do a worldwide launch. That makes the interconnectivity of Pokemon so much better. Do you guys know what this means? For once we won't have a GTS chock full of impossible trades and it'll probably stay that way for a good couple of months.

-I want that Frog. I really want that Frog. I hope he doesn't become another Water/Ground type though. I wouldn't say the starters are any better though, I mean Snivy and Tepig are pretty awesome Pokemon with Samurott being okay too. I personally think the starters of R/S were worse,  but that is just me.

-One of the legendaries (Y's I think) looked like that weird elk thing from Princess Mononoke? Anyone else see that? Liked the Bird thing too though.

-I have to completely agree, there isn't any point in learning 5th gen abttling anymore. No one here really liked it all that much and with a time limit on the metagame what is the point?

A few things i thought that you didn't mention:

I noticed that the main character was standing in front of a mirror before going outside. I wonder if we could customize our looks now? Because that would be pretty cool. 

-3D battles look really cool, I feel like Pokemon Battle Revolution all over again when they bragged "Hey, the Pokemon actually hit each other with phsycial attacks now!" But overally the battles felt more intimate but also more brutal. 

I'm actually looking forward to this generation even though I protest Pokemon adding abnother hundred or so to the mix.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

January 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

It all feels too early to me, but I'm still already very excited. Certainly more excited than I was for 5th Gen, which admittedly exceeded all of my expectations, the competitive metagame notwithstanding.

My starter will be determined by final typing and BST. If Chespin is a bulky Grass/Water type, i.e. a better Ludicolo, I'm all for it. Otherwise give me Finnekin, I don't care if she is a Vulpix ripoff. I love Froakie just a little bit more every time I look at him, though.

I would love so much to have a customizable hero. And the 3D battles do look nice, I just hope they go deeper with the animations than PBR did...

And the deer is X and the bird is Y, I'm almost positive, just based on the logos. On that note, I love the new name for the games. Sets us up nicely for Pokemon Z in another year and a half, too. But let's not get ahead of ourselves ^^'

--

The destructor has gone

January 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I would be very surprised if they didn't make a Z.

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 8, 2013 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

If Fennekin's final form is Fire/Fighting, I will flip a table.

--

The destructor has gone

January 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I think everyone is hoping that doesn't happen lol. I see a lot of people thinking it will be Fire/Psychic because they think it is using Psywave in the Video. I don't agree though since Vulpix, Ninetails, and Flareon can all be taught psychic moves in one way or another with Vulpix and Ninetails even learning some naturally. I think it is a more of a myth about Kitsune in japanese culture than about what type it is. 

I don't think it would be unheard of for Fennekin to be Fire/Ground since it is a Desert Fox. What do you think?

I really hope Froakie is something interesting too and not something already done with frog Pokemon (Water/Fight, Water/Poison, or Water/Ground) What types would Parisian frogs be anyhow? 

Any thoughts on Chespin and what his dual might be? I hear tell of Dark/Grass because of the video once again but idk if he looks like he could be Dark in his future or otherwise.

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 9, 2013 at 9:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

If it's Fire/Ground, it had better be a glass missile; otherwise, a double Water weakness and a removal of Grass and Ice resistances would destroy any ability to wall. Although that typing would provide it with nifty Stealth Rock neutrality and Electric immunity, two nice abilities for a special sweeper, which I think is what we all expect it to become. I still think Fire/Psychic is a very likely outcome, too, though.

Pure Water is probably for the best with Froakie, but given Game Freak's willingness to repeat good typings (three Fire/Fighting starters in a row), Water/Ground is another good, if not exciting, outcome. Depending on the defensive stats he could Swampert better than Swampert.

As I stated above, my prediction for Chespin is a Grass/Water bulky beaver. They never really expanded on the walling opportunities Ludicolo presented, I'd love to see them try it again. I could imagine a Dark/Grass future for him, though; Seedot provides no clues of falling to the Dark Side in later stages either.

And via Bulbapedia this morning, they apparently released names of the Legendaries: The stag is "Xerneas" and the bird is "Yveltal." Meeehhhhhhhhh

--

The destructor has gone

January 9, 2013 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

What do those namnes even mean lol. I wonder what the wonder trio will be and what they will be based on?

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 9, 2013 at 1:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Funny enough, the grass-type starter is becoming more and more interesting the more I hear about the things he could be.  He's a hedgehog, so I am really doubting the Grass/Water beaver thing, because I can't think of a pokemon that changes the animal it is based on during evolution.  If its Grass/Dark, I'm definitely getting it, unless its evolutions are retarded.

The fire-type possibly being Fire/Psychic makes it very intriguing to me.  If Chespin doesn't pan out, I'll probably grab this one.  The water-type was the one I was most interested in, now I am the least interested in.  Funny how that works.

--

January 9, 2013 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Although I don't like the typings much, in a way Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fight would probably be really likely. It'd be like how 4th gen did their starters so that the triangle would reverse at the final evoltution.

The more I heard about Froakie the more I like him. He's based off a Japanese theif witht he bag on the back and little tied knot at the front with little white hands for gloves. So cool!

Chespin is actually starting to intereste me too though. Honestly the only one I don't want is Fennekin which is weird cuz that thing looks totally elegant and badass.

Did you guys here that the prounciations for the Legendaries are out? A bit of a mouthful but they sound pretty good.

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 9, 2013 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Where can you find that?

--

January 10, 2013 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Xerneas(pronounced ZURR-nee-us) and Yveltal (pronounced ee-VELL-tall )

Taken from Pokemon's twitter.

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 10, 2013 at 8:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Thats cool.  Which one is which?  Xerneas is the deer, and Yveltal the bird?

--

January 10, 2013 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Yes.

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 10, 2013 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Do you know which legendary you have a preferance for based on appearance?  I am kinda leaning towards the deer, but the bird isn't too bad.

--

January 10, 2013 at 10:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I can't say I do. They both look cool but I have no feelings either way about them. I'd like to know types before I decide on anything really.

--

Ask me about my waifus

January 10, 2013 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I guess its because I'm not really a competitive battler that I find typing largely irrelevant.  Oh, well.

--

January 10, 2013 at 11:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

So yeah. I found out about this recently too. And I'm super stoked. However, I feel like this is straight on the heels of BW2, which makes me think that overall they knew 5th gen kinda fell flat. It seems like the even numbered games are usually the best anyways, so hopefully this will follow the pattern.

Also, if it wasn't brutally obvious to everyone with half of a brain cell, I'm getting X. Also, I need to post updates to W2...I'm like a gym and a half behind.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

January 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Well, with Gen 5 coming at the very end of the DS' lifespan, and with the 3DS largely being a marketing failure so far (it is an excellent system, far better than the Vita; Nintendo just didn't give us anything great to play on it), it only makes sense for them to push a new and exciting Pokemon game to the system; and another Ranger or Mystery Dungeon wouldn't have cut it, it really had to be a main series revolution. And Gen 5 was far enough along that this was an acceptable, if not ideal, place to end it off.

From a competitive standpoint, I'm thrilled, since Smogon fucked the current metagame, and if nothing else this will give us another roll at a better one. From just a pure Pokemon fan's standpoint, yeah, it's a little too soon, I would have liked to have seen Gen 3 remakes first, but on the brightside, now they get to go on this new and seemingly awesome 3D engine.

It's only fitting that X will choose X, I personally have no idea which I'm going with. I'll need to see about version exclusives before I make that call; I didn't even know if I was getting Black or White until the week before launch.

--

The destructor has gone

January 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

624 views - 0 comments
818 views - 4 comments