Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Pokemon World Tournament

Cecil-Jacobs

I think it is the best thing ever. Nothing is more fun than fighting all the old adversaries all over again. I particularly like it because it lets you earn a small amount of BP along with being easier to do than the Subway.

I'm really proud of myself too. All the Pokemon I have used in the PWT have been trained in-game by me. I had to collect them, breed them, and train them all myself. So it has really been a challenge. (I mainly used a Triple-Battle Rain Dance team. Best thing ever!)

How far have you guys gone into it? I'm busy now collecting my teams for the Type Expert Challenges. If you are interested I'd love to talk mono-type battle strategy and get crtique on the teams I will be using.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 15, 2012 at 5:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Sadly, no, this is one of those new features of BW2 I haven't even touched yet. I am still in the process of:

a.) Taking advantage of the new leveling opportunities to raise some of the sweet new gimmes in this game, like shiny Haxorus, Dragonite, and DW Eevee.

b.) For the first time in my life, Catching 'Em All so I can take advantage of .1% shiny Masuda eggs.

c.) Leveling up Nurseries in my Join Avenue, also so I can take advantage of .1% shiny Masuda eggs.

In addition, I think Case and I will be working on a collab Black 2 Nuzlocke soon. I'd still love to talk strategy and hear all about your teams, CJ. You know how I love a good team analysis.

--

The destructor has gone

December 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

All good things to take advantage of. I too have been working on Catching them all for the very same reasons. 

Have you been using the Magnemite Train to level your join avenue?

A join Nuz sounds fun. How is that going to work?

I'll post strategy tomorrow then. I need to get my data together.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I have never heard of this Magnemite Train you speak of. No, I've been using the five NPC freebies the game gives me each day. Please educate me.

For the Nuz, we're VERY early in the planning stages, but basically she'd replace the Player and I'd replace Hugh. Some of our old Nuzlocke characters are planned to be slotted in there in various roles too, but I'll not spoil anything yet.

What'll probably actually happen is that we'll play the run over the break, and slowly but surely write it over the next several months. I highly doubt, between all the other stuff we want to do over break, that we'll have time to finish it all in a month. This will be a very long-term project, assuming we actually go through with it.

Can't wait to see the data you mentioned, of course. W00T for nerding out over Pokemon rosters!

--

The destructor has gone

December 16, 2012 at 12:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Let me tell you about the Magnemite Train....

No seriously, it may be the best thing ever spontaniously created by gamers. Besides some of those epic Minecraft things.

Anyway I digress.

The Magnemite Train is this kind of mutual understanding among Japanese, Canadian, French, and American Pokemon players. It was conceieved back in Japan. Players wanted a way to quickly level their Join Avenue. 

What they came up is a method that has been adopted the world over. Go to the GTS and put up a Magnemite in return for a Magnemite of any level. You'll be traded almost immeadeatly. Then all you do is recieve your Magnemite and put it back up on the train. Also if you are feeling generious you can catch more than one Magnemite and search Magnemites on the GTS. You'll come across rooms full of trainers trading Magnemites for Magnemites.

I reccommend searching for Magnemites by Region (Japan, Canada, France, Germany, and US are the biggest participants). Because the magnemites go damn fast. 9/10 times you'll go to trade for a Magnemite and it'll already be traded. if you dont serach by region.

It's really fun to trade with American players too. Because they all have a sense of humor about them. I was trading on election day and got a Magnemite named MittRomney like 4 times lol. Same Pokemon. 

So what all this trading does is now all the trainers you sent magnemites too and recieved from show up in the Avenue and offer more points than the NPCs the game sends your way,

Also be on the lookout for lv.100 Magnemite with the OT Matmos. They are something of a collectors Pokemon. Some guy in America with that OT gets on ever day from 2pm-6pm and trades about 10 of them out. Each one is lv.100 and has a different moveset and nature, some are even shiny! Some people collect them, some don't. I collect them because I think it is a fun idea.

Breaking the post here because I bet this was a monster wall of text.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 16, 2012 at 11:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

That sounds fun! I have wanted to start a project over the break too. I miss writing for fun and drawing Pokemon. I'm not sure what I should do though, any ideas?

So are you both running a Nuzlocke on a game and then writing yourselves into the roles? Or are you just basing it off one run? 

I like the idea of you guys being those characters. Maybe if you want rival Love Interests/trainers for drama I could be Yancy/Curtis (The ower of the dropped item if you don't know.) Idk whatever I want to see how you two go together. i think you'll make a swell Hugh. (I AM ABOUT TO UNLEASH MY RAGE!)

Almost done with my teams. I'll start by posting the stuff I feel most shaky about first.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 16, 2012 at 11:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Okay this is one of the teams I am most unsure of. I am having a lot of trouble with Mono-type Grass because the nature of grass types. My first thought would be to go Sunny Day, but that is not good because half the Pokemon on the enemy teams will have Chlorophyll and Solarbeam is resisted anyway. Next idea was to use a Poison/Grass type and Sludge Bomb them to death, but once again the teams are not in my favor. Most of the grass types on the enemy teams are grass poison.

Long story short I think I am going to run a Double Trick Room team.

Exeggutor and Whimsicot will be my Trick Roomers (Whimsicott really isn't inhibited by Trick Room since Prankster gives it +1 priority on status moves)

My sweepers are going to be Tangrowth, Breloom, Ferrothorn, and Sunflora. 

Anyone see any large flaws in this or can think of something more effective to do with a Mono-grass team?

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 16, 2012 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

If you want to revisit Sunny Day, I know that at least as of Gen 4, a Tangrowth in Sun with HP Fire held up well even in OU, that is if you have the patience to breed that. But with your current Trick Room set, I can't think of any flaws here. Max HP, Max Attack for the 'Loom, I suppose? Traditional set? What all will the Ferro do? Spikes and SR? Finally, what's Sunflora's set?

--

The destructor has gone

December 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I was planning on a Poison Heal, Sub Loom with Focus Punch and Seed Bomb. I plan on using the Loom in the Fighting Mono too.

Ferro will be a sweeper actually. Trick Room will make him go first, but Gyro Ball is still based on Speed so he should hit pretty hard. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have SR and Spikes on it too. Sunflora was going to be mostly a filler since it is dang slow I figured it could hit first. Now that I think about it though Parasect would be a better choice. Spore, STAB X-scissor, and Cross Poison should make it pretty tough. Tougher than Sunflora anyway.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 16, 2012 at 7:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I am getting Pokemon Black/White 2 for Christmas (either w/ bonus money for work or a gift probably) and I'm EXTREMELY excited to get in on this. I mean, if Gen 5 is really this much fun, I'm sure it would be worth the 12391902381 hours of raising pokemon again, no?

Also, the title of this made me think of "We all live in a Pokemon World." (a Music Video was on the Pokemon 2000 DVDof it too)

--

December 16, 2012 at 9:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I like the Parasect idea, I've long been waiting for someone to do something worthwhile with the poor bug.

Actually Diddy, BW2 make it easier than it has ever been to raise and train competitively viable Pokemon. If you put just a little effort into it, even leveling up to 100 isn't a huge deal anymore. But yes, the trip to get that far in the game is a fun one as well. I love these games.

--

The destructor has gone

December 17, 2012 at 2:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

BW2 has really impressed me. There were some definate letdowns, like Hard mode being an unlockable instead of from the start, but overally the game has really imporved upon the already established world of Unova. I wish Game Freak would have done something like this long ago with their other games.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 17, 2012 at 8:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Not just being an unlockable, but only unlockable in Black 2. Yeah, that was just bafflingly dumb. But it's easily made up for by the two free and soft-resettable shiny dragons each game hands you, the simply exquisite selection of Pokemon to choose from, additional catering to competitive non-hackers, and, as CJ said, a revitalization of an already enjoyable region.

If the Ruby and Sapphire remakes are done in this mold, it just may be enough to make me like Hoenn.

--

The destructor has gone

December 17, 2012 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Agreed. Because Hoenn was awful (and Emerald was tolerable)

I didn't know it was Black 2 only, I never had trouble because of the afformentioned Pokemon Club (one thing they were good for) but I would have never guessed it was region specific. So what, was Easy White 2 specific?

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 17, 2012 at 11:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Yep. I was so mad when I beat the game and found that out. -.-

I don't know though, I think Hoenn will always get a bad rap in my mind just because of my quality of life when I played the games. 2003 (R&S) and 2005 (Emerald) were two of the shittiest times of my life; that was also when most of my friends were beginning to think Pokemon was "gay," so I really had no one to share them with. I'd like to see if a redux in a much happier time for me can make me see the games in a different light.

On the other hand, tangible things like shallow Regional Dex selection for certain types, Gym Leader difficulty balance, and general level design, make me think completely objectively that they were the worst games of the main series. But of course, all of those issues could be easily fixed in a remake without majorly disrupting the spirit of the games.

--

The destructor has gone

December 17, 2012 at 11:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Is White 1 as easy to level up Pokemon in and can you trade between the versions? I'm sure you can at some point, but I'm playing White 1 right now and am doing the whole, "catch every pokemon in an area before you move on," thing but don't want to be wasting my time. Also, in the week or two before I get White / Black 2, I play on at least attempting to start a team depending on whether or not I can trade between them.

Also, I was thinking, if everyone was up for it, we should have a tournament in which you can *only* use Gen 5 pokemon. And maybe a tournament for every generation. Now, that would be a lot, but it may be easier than doing the E4 challenge we tried to do *cough cough*

--

December 18, 2012 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Hehehe. I wouldn't be opposed to Gen only matches, but they wouldnt be the most polished teams.

I think you meant White 2 the first time and not White 1 no? You can trade between version and it is just as easy of not easier to level Pokemon in White 2. Audio still is rampant so you can train against them while along the path to the E4, and once you are post E4 there are the same "strong trainers" like Cynthia and Morimoto (+ a few others) to train against. And there is White Forest/Black City for levels 50 through 70s too.

All in all they are really wonderful games. I'm very impressed with the ease and playablity of the 2's.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 18, 2012 at 5:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Oh yeah, reminds me. 

Guys I am really having a lot of trouble figuring out a Mono Ghost team. 

Since they are super-effective to themselves it seems like the game is all about speed and Power, but I'm not so sure I have any solid plans.

You see every trainer I will fight is going to have a Gengar, but since they all have 31 IVs I doubt without a Choice Scarf I can get mine to go first. This wouldn't be a prroblem except, whiel Gengar is a hard hitter, I don't think he is heavy enough to beat the Wall-like Ghosts (Cofagrigous, Jellicent, Dusknoir and Spiritomb) in one go.

And I can't give him boosting moves or else I can't run Scarf.

So far my team was

Gengar
Mismagus
Spiritomb
Chandelure
Banette
Haunter

But now that I look at it I can't seem to see anything more than an assortment of Powerful Pokemon with no strategy. Anyone have some ideas? Here is what I am up against http://www.serebii.net/black2white2/pwt/ghost.shtml 

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Max HP/Max Sp.Def Dusclops with Eviolite? You may want to run some calcs, but I see no Specs there, so my gut reaction is he could probably take a Shadow Ball on a switch, take another one as he wrecks with Pain Split, then Shadow Sneak/Punch FTW. EQ is probably a good choice for those Chandelures, too.

EDIT: Possibly a Max HP/Max ATK Banded Noir with Shadow Sneak as well?

Also, I spent about 45 minutes earlier ridin' on the Magnemite Train. That's a sweet ride, that train. I should have max-level Nurseries in no time. Now to just get back to catching everything...

--

The destructor has gone

December 18, 2012 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I did the Damage Calcs and found that a Banded Noir with Max Att 252 Evs, and 31 IVs will OHKO a Gengar 100% of the time. Good call! That means I can use the Gengar with a Specs to sweep the rest of the Ghosts. I'll use a Scarf Chandelure, Sucker Punch Spiritomb and Banette as my clean up and my Mismagus and Haunter as Fodder when needed. Thanks a bunch!

I love watching the Magnemite train go by on the GTS website! You know that Magnemite is the most traded and desired Pokemon on the GTS because of this trend?

Would you read a Nuzlocke if I started one? It'd probably be something really really crazy to reflect the crazy rules I have in mind.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 18, 2012 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments