Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Zombies > The Best Damn Gun in the Game: Nick's Thesis on Laser-Sighting an AK-47

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

You can probably tell by the title how this one's going to go. This summary is going to be much more brief and less scientific than the others; while those theses defended the viability of unorthodox and underpowered weapons, this brief piece sets out to state a simple fact: If your goal is simply to win as hard as possible, the laser-sighted AK-47 has no peer.

Left 4 Dead 2's incarnation of the classic Russian assault rifle was the kind of gun that laser sights were made for. Of the three Tier 2 automatic rifles, the AK-47 sports both the highest damage output and the lowest accuracy. With the laser sights addressing this accuracy handicap, the AK-47 simply gives you no other option but to choose it as your weapon. If you're really concerned about Witches or you have a guy on your team who just really wants to cr0wn, fine, take a shotgunner along. But in almost all cases, when the Director is feeling generous enough to spawn AKs and laser sights together, there's no reason why the whole team shouldn't take them. With the accuracy bump, the need for snipers is all but gone; while the accuracy or single-shot power of the laser-sighted AK still isn't quite that of the sniper, the automatic fire more than makes up for that. All brands of Special infected fall prey to the laser-sighted AK. Boomers and Spitters go without saying. Smokers are stationary and frail enough that, even if you don't know exactly where your teammate is being pulled from, a few rounds in the tongue's general direction should sniff the bastard out. From long- to mid-range, nothing kills a Hunter faster, and nothing save Jockeybane itself is better at long-ranging Jockeys. The AK has one distinct advantage over the other Special-slayer, the Uzi, though: The raw "thump" needed to dispatch a Charger. If you see it coming, it should be dead before it can even level a charge. If you don't, you should be able to save your teammate before it does more than one hit to him, if even that.

Against the Witch, a half clip of Fragmentation Rounds is all that is needed to solo her. Against the Tank, four laser-sighted AK-wielding teammates can dispatch even an Advanced Tank before it can reach any of you, and assuming fair distance, even without the aid of Molotovs or Special Ammunition. Commons are killed in 1-2 shots, meaning ammo conservation isn't as big of a deal as it is with every other automatic in the game. In fact, unless you're playing in a level that you know to be particularly deprived of ammo dumps (Dead Air 2 comes to mind), pistols are useless, even the mighty Magnum. They just can't compare, and you won't need the reserve ammo. Always use melee as your secondary weapon with a laser-sighted AK.

If you want to have fun and experiment with a new weapon, by all means do so. I'm not going to tell you how to play the game. But from a purely tactical standpoint, the laser sights upgrade the AK-47 to such a level that choosing any other gun when one is available is logistically indefensible.

Now, the only thing worth analyzing is, should one carry around a regular AK anytime one spawns, just for the off chance that laser sights will spawn later? This is debatable, and depends on the player and how he/she feels about the AK without the upgrade. Personally, I find the gun's unboosted accuracy to be abhorrent, and not worth the trouble. Jockey, Hunter, and even Spitter kills become more of a chance than a sure bet. It's much more difficult to save a teammate from being pulled by a Smoker with a non-laser-sighted AK, and you have almost no chance of saving yourself from one in time. Even with Frag Rounds, it's not advised to try and kill a Witch with a non-laser-sighted AK. Chargers and Tanks are big enough targets that a regular AK-47 is about as effective as with a laser sight, but you do lose some of that precious gap between yourself and the Tank in that case. Do not try and protect teammates from Commons with a non-laser-sighted AK; you're just as likely to further harm them as you are to kill the zombie on their back.

What the laser sight does for the AK-47 is, effectively, to remove all its flaws. However, if you find yourself enjoying the gun even with its flaws (and your team has success while you use the gun, of course; don't be selfish), it is probably worth it for you to pick up the gun whenever you can, and squee with delight when the Director spawns lasers for you. Personally, for the sake of diversity, I generally only use the gun when it and the lasers spawn together. When I know for certain that laser sights are coming (Dead Center and Cold Stream are the only two campaigns that guarantee them), I'll always use the gun. Otherwise, it's just a nice surprise when I do get them.

Don't alter your game around the laser-sighted AK; overcentralization is never a good thing. But when you just need to get shit killed, no gun will do it better than this one.

--

The destructor has gone

December 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I have NEVER seen ANYONE put this much effort into diagnosing Left 4 Dead. I gotta give you mad props here. I'm the person that grabs a gun and just charges in. It is a relief to see that there are fans like you that will min-max and experiment with things in the name of a game you love.

--

December 11, 2012 at 3:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Thank you, I guess I do take this game pretty seriously >.< I wish more people would, honestly... Random online games get pretty frustrating, as most people are trying to rush as fast as possible, trying to kill as many zombies as possible at the expense of their teammates' welfare, or being 9 years old and accordingly annoying. I did meet a Japanese girl in Quick Match who I've now befriended, and who plays the way I do; other than her though, I pretty much only play with people I know IRL anymore.

I was always kind of hoping we'd get a little L4D cult going on here on PR... I guess that's where these essays come from. Hopefully some of you enjoy all this useless information I have in my head. 

--

The destructor has gone

December 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Well, a small little cult for PR is already formed here; hence the long periods of absences then sudden revivals lol. Gotta count your victories, right?

--

December 13, 2012 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments