Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Zombies > Redneck Carbine: Nick's Thesis on Laser-Sighting a Hunting Rifle

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Having been introduced to Left 4 Dead 2 before playing the original, the Hunting Rifle was a weapon I virtually never used. I had no need to; the sequel brought about the Sniper Rifle, which, at the cost of a bit of off-the-hip accuracy, provided double the clip size of its older and less attractive brother, the common Hunting Rifle. So, naturally, the Hunting Rifle was always just about the last gun I would ever consider spending a precious laser sight on whenever I was lucky enough to find them.

Fate brought me to do such a thing on one occasion, however. It was the first level of Dark Carnival, and the Director, trolling as always (though sometimes for good, such as in this case), decided to spawn lasers right near the campfire on the highway; right where players must decide to take the shortcut over the trucks or go under the overpass. The beginning weapon spawns were, of course, Chrome Shotgun and Silenced SMG. Laser-sighting a shotgun of any description is never a preferred option (although it isn't a total waste, as popular sources claim it to be. The effect of the laser sight on a shotgun is drastically less than on any other weapon, but it does make for a slight improvement), and as a matter of personal taste, I despise the Silenced SMG, or as I less-than-affectionately call it, "the bad Uzi." So, considering this to be a wasted spawn, I decided just on a whim to run ahead a ways to the billboard to grab a Hunting Rifle to laser-sight.

By the time I reached the safehouse, I was already floored by what I had discovered.

As I mentioned earlier, the difference between the Hunting Rifle and the Sniper Rifle is a simple tradeoff; 15 additional bullets in the clip for the Sniper, in exchange for a small but noticable bump in mobile accuracy for the Hunter (both rifles have perfect accuracy while standing still and while scoped, even without lasers). This difference, however, is drastically widened by the presence of laser sights. A laser-sighted Sniper Rifle becomes just about as accurate as the Hunting Rifle is normally; a laser-sighted Hunting Rifle features near-perfect accuracy even while running. It feels very much like the laser-sighted Uzi I wrote on earlier, the difference being that the latter is an ammo-famished automatic, whereas the former is a Common-shredding cannon with infinite penetration. Even while on the move, the gun shoots exactly where you point. It comes to the point at which its scope is almost irrelevant; the zoom and precision is no longer worth the reduction in pace you suffer by aiming through the scope, thanks to the laser sight. In fact, I find it best to use it as more of a carbine, a type of weapon this game otherwise lacks. It's all shotguns, automatics, and sniper rifles. But by laser-sighting the Hunting Rifle and foregoing the scope, with its better-than-expected rate of fire, one is left with just such a weapon: a Redneck Carbine.

In comparison to my other favorite unorthodox laser-sighting candidate, the Uzi:

Common Infected - Winner: Hunting Rifle. No contest at all here. In fact, if the nickname "Redneck Carbine" doesn't do it for you, another good one would be "Commonbane." The Uzi needs 2-4 non-headshots to slay a Common infected, depending on difficulty level, whereas the Hunting Rifle is a guaranteed insta-kill on any Common, anywhere it's shot, on any difficulty setting. The one exception to this is Realism Mode; in Realism, both the Hunting and Sniper Rifles lose their insta-Common-killing priviledges, and the laser sight does little to remedy this. It's still probably a little better for Common dispatching in Realism than the Uzi, but frankly I wouldn't recommend the use of either gun outside of Standard Campaign Mode. But in non-Realism, during hordes and crescendo events, particularly those in which Zombies flood in through narrow passages (Dark Carnival, level 4, gate crescendo; Death Toll, level 4, forklift gauntlet; Dead Air, level 4, metal detector gauntlet), Infinite Penetration grants the Hunting Rifle unspeakably greater killing potential over the Uzi.

Special Infected - Winner: Uzi. This one is closer than the above, as both are nothing short of excellent for stopping almost all Specials. Both guns are as good as it gets when it comes to stopping Boomers, Spitters, and Smokers; however, the Uzi is slightly better at stopping Chargers and significantly better at stopping Hunters and, of course, Jockeys. The Hunting Rifle, while laser-sighted, can effectively stop Hunters and Jockeys, it's just that it requires multiple pulls of the trigger, whereas the Uzi can do it just as well whilst simply holding the trigger down as lead rains pass on through their tiny corpses.

Tanks and Witches - Winner: Uzi. This one hardly matters at all, as neither gun is much good against either a Tank or a Witch without a little help. Against the Tank, again, the Uzi's hail of bullets is a little better than the Hunting Rifle's 15 stronger, slower shots; regardless, don't think you'll be soloing a Tank with either gun. The bulk of the damage will likely come from your AK- or M-16-wielding teammates. Against the Witch, frankly, neither gun is worth a toss without the aid of Fragmentation Rounds; however, with a clip of such rounds, it is quite easy to solo the Witch with the Uzi, while it is failable with the Hunting Rifle. Without the aid of his mates, just a couple of missed shots will doom a prospective Witch-slayer.

Overall, both guns serve the same primary function: As two of the best support guns in the game. Don't expect to lead the team in kills or damage to the Tank in either case; do expect to lead the team in Special kills, and to save your teammates' bacon multiple times a level from sneaky Smokers and Hunters. If Accuracy Percentage is your thing, expect low- to mid-30s with the Uzi, due to the high fire rate resulting in a few inevitably lost rounds. A skilled player can easily shoot 45% or better with a laser-sighted Hunting Rifle, even though as far as pragmatic accuracy goes, both guns are virtually equals.

As for a comparison between laser-sighted Hunting Rifle vs. laser-sighted Sniper, it's the same debate as without the lasers: do you want pinpoint mobile accuracy and a 15 round clip, or simply acceptable mobile accuracy and a 30 round clip? This question is best answered by you; try them both and see which you like better. In all honesty, for most players in most situations, the Sniper Rifle is the better gun to laser-sight; unless you just really care about Accuracy Percentage, a shot you miss with the Sniper can be made up for with one of its extra 15 shots per clip. In high-stress crescendos like the gauntlets in Death Toll and Dead Air, the doubled clip allows for twice the time between reloads, while the zombies are tightly packed enough that accuracy hardly matters.

In some levels though, laser sights may spawn where Snipers won't, but Hunters will. In such a case, never hesitate to put your laser on the "lesser" of the two rifles, and have full confidence that it won't be wasted.

--

The destructor has gone

December 9, 2012 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I haven't played this in a very long time, but my favorite way to play is to put the game on the hardest setting, go to a map that doesn't have any event in which you have to slay the horde to pass, and try to run from beginning to the end without stopping.

Of course, I wouldn't do this with randoms or anything, but it can be very entertaining to see how fast your teammates will sacrifice one another to make it  ;)

--

December 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Haha, you'd be amazed how fun it can be to troll in Left 4 Dead. I may write one of these essays on that soon... =P

Seriously though, I never troll just to troll. But you'd be amazed how many absolutely worthless people play this on Xbox... I only troll when one of them shows up and does something dickish. Medkit hoarding, ranging over accidental friendly fire, shooting zombies gathered around someone else's Pipe Bomb... I have a whole list of things that piss me off in that game.

You said you haven't played in awhile, we totally should soon!

--

The destructor has gone

December 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

We should sometime! I'm finally about to be done with school for a bit so that would be perfect. Also, I'm attempting to be a bit more "social" so two birds one stone, eh? :D

--

December 13, 2012 at 2:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Right ^.^ I think next week we should try to organize something, I bet I can get Casey and the Lemur involved too. Can you work with that?

--

The destructor has gone

December 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I'm sure I could. I imagine for the PC, correct? I'll have to DL steam and hope I can run it on my laptop. I can run WoW without lagging so sure it would be able to run it. I don't know my schedule for next week, but I *DO* know that no matter what it is, I'll be free after about 5PM regardless (house/GF/family obligations withstanding).

--

December 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Yep, PC. Although we could do Xbox too, we'd just be playing with different, but still awesome, people. Whatever we do though, I doubt we'll be doing it before 5pm, so we should be alright.

Also, you'll need Skype; Casey's mic doesn't cooperate with Steam's in-game chat too well, so we disable voice communications and run a Skype call in the background when we play. It shouldn't be too terribly trying for your laptop. I'm sure your laptop will have no issues running the game, but here are the Windows specs anyway:

-------

Minimum:

Supported OS: Windows® 7 32/64-bit / Vista 32/64 / XP

Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz

Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista

Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with 128 MB, Shader model 2.0. ATI X800, NVidia 6600 or better

Hard Drive: At least 13 GB of free space

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

-------

Recommended:

Supported OS: Windows® 7 32/64-bit / Vista 32/64 / XP

Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz

Memory: 1 GB for XP / 2GB for Vista

Graphics: DirectX 9 compatible video card with Shader model 3.0. NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

Hard Drive: At least 13 GB of free space

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

-------

Finally, you'll want to be sure and add Tamoria and JovialKarma from my Steam friends list. Also, if you'll give me your Skype handle, I'll add you there and pass it along to them as well.

--

The destructor has gone

December 14, 2012 at 5:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

624 views - 0 comments
818 views - 4 comments