Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Black Tower and White Treehollow

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Before even purchasing my copy of White 2, my understanding of the Treehollow was "that thing I have to do to get my shiny Dratini." Now that I'm actually doing it, however, I see it as something more. An actually enjoyable mechanic.

It compares somewhat to Battle Tower from Emerald-HG/SS, with the main difference being that this isn't fucking rigged. The Treehollow (Black 2 players, I'll be referring to it exclusively as the Treehollow here, but know the Black Tower is the same thing, just reskinned) has 10 areas, and each is full of rooms with trainers in them. The goal here is to first find the "gatekeeper," a random trainer in each area who holds the key to the area boss's room. Defeating the boss clears the area for you. It's basically like completing a Zelda dungeon; comb through the dungeon to find the Boss Key, then fight the boss. Fighting the other trainers inside not only nets you experience, but the defeated trainers also drop hints about either the location of the gatekeeper, or members of the boss's team (the trainers are randomly generated each time; the boss is not. Each Area has its own specific boss that is there every time).

So, just beat all the trainers, easy, right? Well, this is where it gets interesting. Your Pokemon are not healed between battles, you aren't allowed to use any items in your bag, and you aren't allowed to leave. Anything fainted stays fainted for the rest of the area, anything poisoned stays poisoned, anything at 1 HP stays at 1 HP. There is one Nurse in each area who, upon defeat, will fully heal your Pokemon. However, she will only do this once. So my advice would be to seek out and defeat the Nurse as soon as you can, but say "no" when she asks if you want her to heal (she will ask). Then find the gatekeeper, then fight all other trainers you dare to before having the Nurse heal you, then proceeding to the boss.

Overall, it provides a challenge; the odds are still balanced in your favor, as their levels are all set, while you're not under a level cap or Pokemon restriction of any kind. If you want to stay in line with the levels of the floors, Serebii has a list of each floor's boss in both the Tower and Treehollow here. Each trainer in that boss's area will have their Pokemon about in line with the boss's, and certainly not above. As you can see, the levels climb by three at each level, from 53 to an eventual cap of 80.

You do NOT have to beat all ten areas consecutively to get the reward. Whenever you've beaten one area, you have beaten it forever and when you return, you can start from the next area. Although, if you're just trying to level something up, you can also return to previously beaten areas just for that.

Assuming you're staying in line level-wise and actually trying to make a challenge out of it, held items are huge. You can have multiples of the same item, so as many Leftovers as you have will be nice for your walls. I do not recommend held berries, as those may be consumed before the boss, and obviously you won't have a chance to replace them. Life Orb is probably not a good idea, nor is giving a Guts Pokemon Flame/Toxic Orb. Natural Cure Pokes like Blissey and Starmie are great for this, as are defensive strats in general, like a Shuckle in Sandstorm, for instance. I bet a basic Toxic Shuckle with a Hippowdon to set up Sand would wreck face here, come to think of it. But I'll be attempting to clear it with the team in my trainer card, Breloom and all. I'll continue to update with any other interesting things I find during my attempt to clear out the Treehollow, let me know how your experience goes as well!

--

The destructor has gone

October 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

A few more notes about this; every single trainer in the Treehollow has two Pokemon, except for the bosses who all have three. This area does obey Shift mode, if you play Shift mode, but I'll continue to play Set. It turns out that items are the ONLY things restricted here.

TAMbipom has been absolutely dominating this place, to the point where I almost don't need my other Pokemon except for specialized matchups and when Double Hit misses (which really pisses me off; I'm thinking of giving her Return instead, pretty sure her friendship is maxed by now). She's drastically overleveled now, 9 levels over my next highest, so I may sadly have to bench her until Area 9 or 10. A few Chansey/Blissey fights really messed up her exp. meter.

--

The destructor has gone

October 23, 2012 at 4:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Whew. This is starting to get challenging. I just beat Area 7, and starting in Area 6, the Areas get multiple floors. The Gatekeeper and the Boss may not be on the same floor, anymore. I am finding, however, that in Areas with multiple floors, each floor has its own Nurse.

TAMbipom is still doing great, but now the game has started throwing things like Rhyperior and Aggron at her that she just can't handle. So many, in fact, it seems like it MAY be just a little rigged like Battle Tower was, but not nearly to the same extent. But overall, a well-balanced, EV trained Pokemon should have no trouble here; I'd say this'll be a great place to train your shiny Haxorus, Gible, or Dratini. The leveling up potential for this place is virtually limitless; my Gear Station trick for quick lv.100s may be irrelevant.

--

The destructor has gone

October 23, 2012 at 6:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments