Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Black and White 2!

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

It's finally out. Yaaaaay. Except I won't be getting my copy until Tuesday because it turns out pre-ordering from Amazon is actually a bad idea for things you want day-of-launch, particularly when that launch day is Sunday. Derp. But in this case, my derping wasn't such a bad move, as Tamoria and I have yet to full decide how our collab project will go, and it means I got to avoid the inevitable panic attack that any place as crowded as Best Buy always gives me.

X, I know you said you were also planning a collab narration, but don't let us discourage you from doing so. We'll both be playing White and it will not be a Nuzlocke, if that affects your plants.

Also, just so everyone is aware, there is a shiny giveaway exclusive to each version that actually affected which one I bought. Granted, this is all late- to end-game stuff, and I don't know all the details because I'd like to remain somewhat ignorant for my own enjoyment. But I do know that Black 2 players get a shiny Gible from this particular event, whereas White 2 players get a shiny Dratini. In my opinion, Black players got the shaft here because Garchomp is the worst shiny in the game. Seriously. I'll prove it.

Garchomp's normal sprite:

And Garchomp's shiny sprite:

Why they decided this difference of like 2 shades of the same color palette was okay is beyond me. It's even more appalling when you see the difference in Gible's sprites:

What the hell, Game Freak? Why not stick with that color scheme? Royal blue-and-yellow Garchomp would look awesome! They went out of their way to make the final evolution more boring. I don't get it. And anyway, even if you really just like Garchomp that much better than Dragonite, Smogon has had Garchomp banned to Uber again (inexplicably; I'd like to point out that Latios is STILL not Uber. STILL.), whereas your shiny Dratini could be soft-reset-grinded to be a legitimate competitive battler (though unable to learn Extremespeed, regrettably. Oh well, I like BulkyNite better anyway). (And on Garchomp being Uber, Tamoria and I both still own and use Garchomps, so if you did get a shiny Garchomp and wanted to battle with him, neither of us would mind. Just don't expect to use it against some random scrub without them calling "UBER N00B" on you) (God I love parentheses)

AT ANY RATE, even though I got Black last time, shiny Dragonite over shiny Garchomp is enough to make me switch to White. That, and I really just like Reshiram better than Zekrom, even though I understand why they switched versions. Or I'm assuming, anyway.

Regardless, use this as a thread to discuss which one you're getting/got, and what you're doing with your first run, in the vague sense. If you want to share more about your actual party and how your run is going when you do start it, please make your own thread for that so the main focus can be on it.

And, obviously, please try to keep the spoilers to a minimum. I'm sorry if you didn't want me to spoil the shiny giveaway, I just did so because Garchomp is SUCH a bad shiny, and considering the competitive community also excluding him and not the other, I strongly feel that Black 2 players are getting the short end of a very shiny stick.

--

The destructor has gone

October 7, 2012 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

I'll be getting W2 today, and Ninja's getting B2. Although, because I've still yet to get around to finishing my W1 story, and because I'm currently preoccupied with From the Dark, Light as well as long days at work...it'll be difficult to play/post. I was lucky with White in that I had a few months free time to work on it. I also assume that we're all going to be playing the Hard Mode of BW2?

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

October 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Oh hey. Challenge Mode. That's...a thing. I hadn't heard of that until you mentioned it, so I just had to look it up.

Well fuck, I should have gone and picked up a copy of Black 2 yesterday anyway, since apparently you have to play both to even make a Challenge Mode playthrough. And apparently Casey has changed her mind, she does want our collab to be a Nuzlocke now. But that won't come until my initial playthrough is over, not to mention school has got her really busy of late, so what I'll probably end up doing is to go ahead and play White 2, then get Black 2 and Challenge Mode Nuzlocke it in a collab with her.

So basically, the floor is completely open to you, X. I suppose I could narrate my initial runthrough, but it will just be a basic, blind free run, but since it is blind it will probably be little more than a narration. Nothing that will compete with your project, if/when you do decide to start it.

Look for the タモリアXデストロイア Black/White2 Collab Nuzlocke Run over Winter Break, probably.

--

The destructor has gone

October 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Shit, wish I had known about the Challenge Mode needing to be unlocked...also, Easy Mode is the same way. What sorta bullshit is it that you need to unlock Easy Mode?

--

October 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Xelakian at October 8, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Shit, wish I had known about the Challenge Mode needing to be unlocked...also, Easy Mode is the same way. What sorta bullshit is it that you need to unlock Easy Mode?

^This.

At least I can use White 2 casually, to farm a competitive shiny Dratini (I heard something about a free shiny Haxorus too, for both versions, but I have no details), maybe even for breeding. I wonder if they improved the breeding mechanics again... They've tweaked them in every game since Emerald so far.

--

The destructor has gone

October 8, 2012 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

I've also heard that if you complete the pokedex you get an item that gives you an increased chance of getting shinies.

--

October 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

*SPOILERS IN REGARD TO WHAT X POSTED ABOVE*

Holy shit. The shining charm is that item, apparently, and you get it by completing the National Pokedex. I actually have a reason to complete the Pokedex now. What's more is that yes, they did alter the breeding mechanics; Juniper gives you a similar charm for completing the New Unova Dex that increases the odds of eggs appearing. So White 2 is definitely my new competitive breeding home. With both charms, while using the Masuda method of breeding with a foreign parent, eggs will appear more frequently and have about a 1/1000 chance of being shiny. Well, looks like I've got a busy few weeks ahead of me.

*SPOILERS END HERE*

Also, I don't think I will be doing a narration of my run. But I'll post any interesting tidbits here, while continuing to warn for spoilers as I did above me, and I'll also update my trainer card daily with my progress (I'll update this one again before I go to bed tonight, too).

From here on out, my run is blind, and not a Nuzlocke, and I will in fact be catching every new Pokemon I encounter. Although I am playing in Set mode, just as a personal preference though, not to make it more challenging. I will grind around for Natures for Pokemon I want in my party, but not for perfect Natures; I'll just keep catching/SRing until I get an okay Nature for that Pokemon (for instance, I'll never turn down one of the neutral Natures). For non-Uber Legends like the Musketeers, I will SR them both for Natures and IVs to get good competitive versions of them. Uber Legends, I'll probably just grab the first one I see.

But most of all, I will take my time. In my initial runthrough of Black, I beat the game in just four days, and while I remember having a BLAST, I don't remember much about the run at all, now. I want this one to be a little more memorable. It should be, considering the extra burden I've put on myself to try and capture every Pokemon in the game (the first time I've actually tried that; I always focused solely on the battles in runs past).

My trainer's name is Nick, my own name, and my rival's name is the default Hugh. I'll save the creativity for my future collab with Tamoria. My starter is Kade the Snivy, after a friend of mine who kind of reminds me of the little green snake.

--

The destructor has gone

October 9, 2012 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

My progress was somewhat halted by my SR-grinding for a keeper Genesect (if you haven't gotten yours already, go do so! Main Menu > Mystery Gift > Receive Gift > Nintendo WFC. You'll probably want a Hasty or Naive Nature with emphasis on offensive and speed IVs), but I have gotten to Virbank City, but have not yet challenged the gym leader. The first gym was actually somewhat challenging. I'm amazed at the quality of the Pokemon they're making available this early on, although they're all good picks because they're the kind that take awhile to blossom. White players, especially, will be swamped with quality electric-types early on, something I've never seen in a Pokemon game.

My team is as seen below, all of which are potential long-term keepers except Patrat, who I plan to make an HM Slave (granted, I don't HAVE an HM yet, but still...). Kade's Timid Nature is getting quite annoying, but the others all have good Natures. Even Kade's will be good once he learns a Special move, and I think he gets Leaf Tornado in just one level, and evolves one after that. My one concern is that Lucario and Arcanine are beyond overused in the Pokemon world, but both are Pokemon that have curiously eluded me in my 13-year career as a Pokemon trainer, so I have no qualms about using them. Koffing is an undervalued wall who intrigues me, particularly for her ability to serve as an excellent walling partner for something else I intend to add to my team later on...

Also, I will not be using Genesect in-game. Gonna EV train him and use him competitively; he looks like he'll avoid Ubers.

--

The destructor has gone

October 10, 2012 at 12:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Pokecharms has yet to update their trainer card maker for the new badges (although everything else is updated, including trainer sprites), so let's just pretend that's the Toxic Badge there. You can see my party is pretty different from last time. Most notably, I dropped my starter. I'm just not a Snivy guy, I guess. I tried him, taught him Leaf Tornado, made him a Servine, and still found him to be frankly incompetent. Maybe mine just had particularly bad IVs or something, but even in the beginning of the game, I found Geno the Riolu was my go-to Poke much more than Kade. Taking his place is a baby Oshawott Tamoria traded me months ago that had been sitting dormant in my PC in Black. I traded Genesect over for him, and as you can see I have raised him up to be a Dewott now. I swapped Koffing for a Zubat named Steinman, as I've never raised a Crobat (I do have some experience with Weezing), it's bulky enough to wall effectively, and it will serve as my party's Flyer all in one. Plus, Crobat actually serves as a slightly better walling partner for my new sixth, Bernadette the Eevee, who I plan to make into an Attractafusion Umbreon. While Weezing resists both Fighting and Bug, Umbreon's only two weaknesses, Crobat resists both x4.

--

The destructor has gone

October 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Saved in front of Elesa's gym. Steinman evolved into Crobat at level 25 and Bernadette into Umbreon at level 26. Geno evolved into Lucario at level 17... I sure thought these friendship evolutions took longer when I was a kid.

Elesa's cronies are proving to be a little challenging, I'm sad to admit. Without a ground type on my team, I'm having a hard time. They tend to like to paralyze my Growlithe (and Dig-user) and then OHKO him with an Electro Ball that's souped up by the massive speed drop that comes with paralysis. Actually considering using a Krokorok or something here, though I really want to beat it with *my team.*

--

The destructor has gone

October 11, 2012 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

That's one of the neat things that I've noticed, especially in Nuzlockes, is that friendship evolutions are actually really freaking easy to do. And yeah, I remember Elesa was a bitch to defeat for me two, as I also lacked a ground type in White.

--

October 12, 2012 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I manged to beat Elesa without a Krokorok copout, instead allowing Bernadette to just tank. Even without being able to Attract since everything in that gym is female and heterosexual, apparently, she still managed to just Work Up a few times and sweep, while tanking all hits because she's an Umbreon.

Clay fell to Noah, who evolved into Samurott in the process. Tamoria just told me she's pretty sure he has a perfect 31 Sp.Atk IV, which may explain why Clay put up such little resistance. It almost makes me want to remove him from the party, but for reasons of sentimentality I simply can't.

I encountered a Volcarona soon after, which shocked me as I was not expecting such a powerful Pokemon so early on. I then learned why. Volcarona's early moveset is absolutely terrible, starting with String Shot, Leech Life, Fire Spin and Gust. She's unable to learn another fire move until level 60 or the Fire Blast TM, whichever comes first, and neither seems withing sight for me. She gets Signal Beam by move tutor, but with Bernadette handling Psychics and Geno handling darks, Vocarona hardly had a place in my party. The last thing I did last night was clean out Chargestone Cave, catching a Tynamo while I'm there to replace Bo the Flaaffy. I'm looking forward to trying out an Eviolite Eelektric.

--

The destructor has gone

October 13, 2012 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Let me just add that I hate the new mechanic where some trainers will battle you EVERY time you pass them. It's nice for level grinding, but it should be optional after the first time.

--

The destructor has gone

October 13, 2012 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

This is probably the last my card will change for awhile, and possibly the last time my team will ever change. I happened upon a fluke Fire Stone in a dust cloud in Chargestone Cave and evolved Andre the Growlithe at the ideal time, lv.34, giving him both Flamethrower and Extremespeed. Turns out in BW2 only, Growlithe learns Outrage at lv.43, which is really cool, but not worth waiting for, especially when it means you have to spend a Heart Scale to get Extremespeed then.

The one I'm most impressed with as of now is Unagi. He swept Skyla's gym... as a Tynamo. He didn't even evolve until after the gym! But thanks to Eviolite, Eelektrik may be better than Eelektross, certainly defensively. Right now, he has no weaknesses, defenses comparable to my Umbreon's factoring Eviolite, and the ability to somewhat set up with Charge Beam. I can't evolve yet as I don't have a Thunderstone, but I'm not sure I ever will even when I get one. My team may be finalized already.

--

The destructor has gone

October 13, 2012 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Good to hear. I'll probably be starting my blind run of W2 here shortly, so it's good to see that there's a lot more options than before, as well as new mechanics, even if they are annoying.

--

October 13, 2012 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Oh yeah, lots of new mechanics. Including that breeding revolution I was asking for. A word to the wise: START BUILDING UP YOUR JOIN AVENUE. Just don't fill it up, you need to save at least one spot for a nursery.

In fact, to build mine up more (this'll help you out too), I'm looking for anyone with Black, White, Black 2 or White 2 to link up and do something, anything, with me. We can battle in-game teams, or we can trade Pidoves, or whatever. But if we link up, we'll join each other's Join Avenues too. My friend code is in my trainer card in my signature; just leave me yours and tell me what you want to do and when you want to do it.

In in-game news, I'm preparing to face the Elite Four. Once everyone is at least level 55, I'm going in. I swapped the Eelektrik for a lv.50 Metang who immediately evolved upon one more level up. And, since this will be my last Trainer Card update for awhile, I went ahead and did a nifty shop job on the badges to make them look at least a little like the two new ones that Pokecharms still can't figure out how to plug in yet.

I will continue to update the card, however, for after the E4, not only am I doing all the postgame stuff, but I will be attempting to catch all 649 Pokemon for the amazing reward that follows the feat.

--

The destructor has gone

October 19, 2012 at 5:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

The Elite Four and Champion are down. Three of the Elite Four I swept with one Pokemon, but the fourth and the Champion actually killed some stuff. The Champion battle was super haxy though, lots of crits and flinches.

Tomorrow, I will make my way through the rest of the previously-inaccessable areas of Unova, namely the ones in the Southeast. I have a twoheaded goal now, and both involve shiny Pokemon: Seeing everything in the Unova Pokedex for a shiny Haxorus, and completing the White Treehollow for a shiny Dratini.

Accompanying me will be a shiny of my own, Casey, the shiny Charizard, that I got for beating Red in SoulSilver. Since only 1/8 Charmander are female, she is especially rare, even by shiny standards. Easily one of my favorite Pokemon of all I've ever owned. Also newly transferred is Poe the Dusknoir, one of my oldest and truest friends from my competitive battling career. He was on my first competitive team, and has always tanked that which I couldn't otherwise handle and has a mean clutch streak to him. I've also added TAMbipom the Ambipom, a play on my girlfriend's screen name, for free Technician Fake Outs and otherwise being a solid, underrated physical sweeper. Finally, I added Toadette the Breloom, who is not at all competitive; she's simply a Jolly, False Swipe/Spore using Loom designed solely for catching wild Pokemon as easily as possible. Staying in the team from the E4 run are Noah and Bernadette, though both or either may be replaced for the Treehollow run.

The Treehollow, best I can gather from Serebii, seems like a less frustrating version of Battle Tower from 4th Gen. 10 floors of trainers, and at the end of the 10th is the guy you need to beat for the shiny Dratini. Levels ranging from 50-80; I plan to take the same team through all 10 floors, starting in the mid-50s and ending at whatever level it takes to clear it all. I should note that if you ONLY want the shiny and don't care about the experience, you can go in with lv.100 Legendaries from the beginning and blow through the whole thing, there is no auto-level cap or Pokemon restriction. I just want to experience the Treehollow as the designers inteded. In future runs though, yeah, I'll probably just grab my Mewtwo and massacre everything.

Tell me what you think could balance my team! Charizard, Ambipom, and Dusknoir are the only locks.

--

The destructor has gone

October 21, 2012 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments