Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Video Games (Miscellaneous) > From the Dark, Light

Xelakian

(Watch this first)

As the Age of Fire wanes, the Darksign has begun appearing more frequently. Recently, it seems that all who die now are cursed to suffer it.

You awaken to the sounds of hoofbeats above you. You look up to see a knight toss a corpse into the cell you're sitting in. As he walks off, you try to remind yourself of your situation. Your name. Who you were. Where you came from.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

September 2, 2012 at 2:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

...after a while in silent contemplation, you remember. Your name is Victor Chiral. You were from Vinheim, born into the aristocracy, trained as a Dragon Scholar Sorcerer.

...at least you were, until you died. You awoke the next day as an undead, cursed with the Darksign. With it, you had immortality, of a sort, but one day you would become hollow, losing all trace of humanity. Naturally, the Sorcerers of Vinheim thought it best to send you North, to the Undead Asylum, where you could lose your sanity within the confines of an isolated prison.

As these thoughts return to you, you look at the corpse of the unlucky hollow at your feet. You find a key, a sword and a pair of binoculars. The key, miraculously, unlocks the door to your cell. You're through with waiting until you lose your mind. You're going to make use of this immortality, dammit.

As you escape your cell, you find a hollow, beating against the wall. As he spots you, you ready your sword. He charges. You swing. The sword shatters upon striking his body. Left with only a broken sword, you continue stabbing and chopping until the hollow falls at your feet. As he dies, you feel your life essence grow stronger. You continue on further, encountering a lit bonfire in a large chamber. You feel yourself drawn to it, the heat from the flames putting you at ease. After a momentary rest, you look up at the monolithic set of doors in front of you. There's no other way to go. You head on in.

The room on the other side is huge. You see a balcony on the opposite wall, above another set of double doors. The sides of the room are lined with crumbling pillars and broken masonry. As you approach the other set of doors, you happen to look down and see the crushed body of an undead, the words "Get Away!" written in his blood. You look up through the missing ceiling to see a giant green demon flying towards you. There's a tunnel to the left. You run towards it, pulling out the binoculars to get a better look at the demon once you're safely inside. As it lands, it smashes the tunnel with the tree it's using as a club, knocking you down a set of stairs and caving the passageway in. Fantastic.

The side passage leads to a long corridor, a hollow archer at the end of it. As you duck into a small room to avoid its arrows, you realize how stupid you are for still using a busted sword. Breaking a chair apart, you fashion a makeshift club and shield out of it. That's slightly better. You charge after the hollow, blocking his arrows until you manage to cave his skull in with the chair leg. It's not much, but it's definitely more effective than trying to give undead tetanus.

As you continue on, you find yourself on the upper floor of the room with the bonfire. You take a few steps up a set of stairs, only to hear something at the top. You see a great iron ball rolling towards you. Leaping off the stairs, it misses you, instead smashing the wall behind where you were, revealing a cell. Before investigating it, you deal with the hollow that tried to flatten you at the top of the stairs. A few hits ends his shenanigans for now.

The cell is occupied by a knight, long since cursed, his armaments rusted and dull. He glances up at you, sighing in relief.

"…Oh, you…you're no hollow, eh? Thank goodness…I'm done for, I'm afraid…I'll die soon, then lose my sanity…I wish to ask something of you…you and I, we're both Undead…hear me out, will you?"

--

September 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Damn shame no one has been around to indulge in this project you've obviously worked so hard on, and I'm as guilty as anyone. More so, probably, site admin and whatnot. This world seems fascinating; maybe I should venture out of this rock under which I live, but you've again started up something from a story I have no prior knowledge of. Regardless, you've provided plenty of information for someone as ignorant as I to be able to participate. I just haven't been around, and I'm sorry no one else has either.

I hope you read this and just as importantly I hope others do too. It's probably not worth your effort to continue, but for whatever it means, I would very much like to hear what this dying knight has to say.

--

The destructor has gone

September 25, 2012 at 11:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

The great thing about Dark Souls is that the story is just barely there, so it can be ignored if you want to, but if you want to see it you can. I'll provide as many relevant details as I can as the story progresses.

--

September 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

You agree to hear the knight out, resting on a nearby pile of rubble.

"…Regrettably, I have failed in my mission, but perhaps you can keep the torch lit. There is an old saying in my family: Thou who art Undead, art chosen. In thine exodus from the Undead Asylum, maketh pilgrimage to the land of Ancient Lords. When thou ringeth the Bell of Awakening, the fate of the Undead thou shalt know.'" He coughs a few more times, more violently than before. "…Well, now you know, and I can die with hope in my heart. Oh, one more thing." He reaches to his belt and pulls out a flask. "Here, take this. It's Estus, an undead favorite." You accept it and take a swig. The drink has a warming effect on your whole body, as though a fire were rekindled within you. As you stopper it back up, tying it to the rope that serves as your belt, he hands you a key, explaining it's the way out of this place.

"…Now I must bid farewell. I would hate to harm you after death, so go now. And thank you…" You stay near him as he loses consciousness, eventually losing all trace of humanity. I walk off, sobered by the experience. Back in Vinheim, undeath was rarely dealt with directly. Those cursed with the Darksign were sent here. You obviously will have to learn how to deal with your undeath if you're to complete the knights quest.

You continue up the stairs, eventually reaching a balcony overlooking a cliff. Fantastic. After dealing with a few more hollows, you find yourself in front of a doorway, obscured by fog. Remembering your training as a sorcerer, you know that these are boundaries forged to confine powerful beings to a specified area. Usually, they ended up being counterintuitive. People would enter but be unable to leave, making them easy prey for demons and the like. Still, the old magic had its advantages and was widely implemented, but generally agreed to be a terrible decision. Regardless, you cross the fog, seeing the corpulent, green demon on the floor below your balcony. As it raises its club to smash the balcony, you leap onto its face and smash it a few times with your own club until it shakes you off. As you land on the ground, you see it preparing to smash you again. You leap onto its foot moments before it crushes the pillars that were behind you. How the hell am I supposed to deal with this thing, you ask yourself as you begin beating at its ankle. After a few minutes of its thrashing about combined with your own assault, you feel bones breaking. You escape the titan as it crashes to the ground. This is your chance. With its face against the ground, the situation is much easier. You run up to its face and begin smashing it in again. Once the demon regains his wits, he lifts the club up to smash you. You dodge out of the way of his blow as he drops his weapon onto his own head, killing himself. You help yourself to the large key attached to his neck. Using the two keys you received, you unlock the door below the balcony.

Outstretched in front of you, are ruined buildings. You're almost certain this was another wing of the asylum that was destroyed somehow. You draw near the cliff. Off in the distance you hear a noise...

...you see the source of the sound too late.

--

September 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

So basically, we just beat a demon with a chair leg. Are we the best or what?

P.S. Holy shit that's a big bird. Seems to mean well but did it have to introduce itself in such an intimidating manner??

--

The destructor has gone

September 27, 2012 at 1:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

The crow deposits you in a decrepit shrine within the borders of Lordran. You head to a nearby bonfire, where a man in chainmail sits, disheartenedly looking into the flames. He seems to perk up as he sees you approach.

"Well, what do we have here? You must be a new arrival. Let me guess. Fate of the Undead, right? Well, you're not the first. But there's no salvation here. You'd have done better to rot in the Undead Asylum, but too late now. Well, since you're here, let me help you out."

As you begin to tell him about the quest the knight tasked you with, he reaches into the bonfire with a pair of tongs, carefully placing an emerald flask inside the flames. After a few seconds, the flask fills with the fiery orange that you recognize as Estus. As you watch him do this, he tells you that Estus is a sort of soul energy from the Fire Keepers. When consumed, it rekindles your own fading body. Apparently, to the undead the two most important resources are souls and humanity, both your own and others that can be found. The sad fact is that undead must consume souls to continue their own existence. As far as humanity goes, those able to take it from those that already have it can use it to regain their own form, at least until they die once more.

You finish your story, asking him about the Bells the knight mentioned. "There are actually two Bells of Awakening. One's up above, in the Undead Church. The other is far, far below, in the ruins at the base of Blighttown. Ring them both, and something happens. Brilliant, right? Not much to go on, but I have a feeling that won't stop you. So, off you go. It is why you came, isn't it? To this accursed land of the Undead?" He smirks, and begins laughing perhaps the creepiest laugh you've ever heard. You back away from him slowly, a bit weirded out. As you start to escape, he stops you, asking if you intend to fight in a loincloth with broken pieces of wood. He suggests you head down to New Londo, the ruins beneath the shrine, and talk with Rickert. You take his advice as he goes back to laughing creepily.

Heading below the shrine, you find an elevator that lowers you underground into a dilapidated city. Hidden in corners, crying to themselves, you can see a number of other undead, obviously almost hollow. Eventually you come across a celled off window with a human behind trapped within. The man within introduces himself as Rickert of Vinheim, a master blacksmith from your own homeland. He mostly deals in magic and enchanted weaponry, and, seeing your obvious interest in the former, agrees to sell you a Catalyst, required to channel spells through, as well as a scroll of Soul Arrow, a simple combat spell most sorcerers learn. He also points you in the direction of a weapon he dropped when he came down here to escape the threats of Lordran. Before you leave, he warns you not to delve too much deeper into the area, as vengeful ghosts haunt these ruins. You thank him and grab the Estoc, a long fencing blade that you are now glad you were trained in as part of your noble upbringing. If there's one thing you've learned in the last twenty-four hours, it's that you'll need to rely on your body as much if not more than your mind if you're to complete your destiny.

--

September 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Ah, equipment. Shall we find some poor souls to test it all out on? :D

--

The destructor has gone

September 30, 2012 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

You decide to head back up to the surface. The sun shines down on you from above. You decide to explore the ruins of the shrine. The ceiling has long since collapsed and the ground floor is flooded. Perched on top of the ruins is the giant crow from before, watching intently as you wander around. Probably best not to get too close to it after last time...

You head down another path and find a priest. He seems to want nothing to do with you, but after some insistence he offers to teach you how to perform miracles, magicks capable of healing you if your faith is strong enough. You've never really been interested in learning, but you make a mental note to come back when you have more souls and try it out, as it could prove useful. He also suggests you stay away from the graveyard on the other side of the shrine, as the skeletons there are being animated by some powerful necromantic force. You take heed of his warning and decide to head back to the bonfire.

Your options now seem limited. You could go back to the New Londo Ruins, where you will have to contend with vengeful ghosts, you could investigate the Graveyard, where reanimated skeletons await or you could head towards the Aquaduct that leads to the Undead Burg, where one of the Bells of Awakening lies.

--

October 1, 2012 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Graveyard!

--

The destructor has gone

October 2, 2012 at 12:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

You decide to check out the Graveyard that the cleric mentioned earlier. As you descend the staircase carved into the cliffside you can see the piles of bones scattered amongst the gravestones, eviscerated corpses scattered about. Fantastic. Well, what's the worst that can happen?

As you wander about the graveyard, you find a spear and shield emblazoned with a caduceus on the body of one poor soul. A little further on you find the remains of what was once a strong warrior. You can only guess though, as his body was destroyed by whatever force managed to dent his breastplate enough that the armor itself bisected him. Stabbed into the ground next to him is a sword almost a head taller than you. As you pick it up, figuring that you might be able to sell it, you hear stirring behind you. As you turn, you see half a dozen animate skeletons wielding scimitars and shields. Fuck.

You pull out your Catalyst, casting Soul Arrow. The skeleton blocks it with his shield, the residual magic wisping past him with little effect. As he charges at you, you try again. This one strikes him cleanly in the skull, but it obviously has little effect. You pull out the wooden plank serving as your shield and charge headlong into the fray, hoping to make a break for it. You manage to make it through the throng of undead, but they get a few good cuts in before you escape. You begin bleeding out. You need to get out of here.

As you are about to reach the stairs leading back to the shrine, a horde of skeletal assassins hot on your heels, you find your path blocked by a pair of skeletons easily twice your height, wielding cleavers larger than the sword you just picked up. As you stop, exhausted from running, bleeding to death, watching as the giants blade falls toward you, your eyes shut, anticipating your immediate death.

You wake up back at Firelink Shrine. Was it all just a dream? You check your stuff. The spear, shield and sword are all still there. You can feel the healed over scars from the cuts inflicted upon you by the scimitars. But why aren't you dead? You ask the Crestfallen Warrior. He says you wouldn't believe him if he told you.

You decide to try out your new weaponry. The Estoc is much longer than most swords, acting almost like a spear crossed with a rapier. While obviously designed for stabbing, the sides are sharpened to allow for quick slashes. The Winged Spear you got has a longer reach and is more effective at punching through armor, but you're not used to using two handed weaponry and wielding it one handed would be a little too awkward. The Zweihander is even worse. It's ridiculously heavy for a sword, forcing you to rely on slow, powerful, downward swings to be effective at all. After a little testing, you decide to stick with the Estoc.

You approach the aquaduct, where you see a handful of hollow warriors. One of them approaches you. As you get closer, he leaps at you, burying his sword in your shield. You stab at him repeatedly with your Estoc until he falls to the ground. You can feel his soul escape, finding the nearest vessel, you, to combine with. As you ascend the aquaduct, another hollow charges you, only to charge right into the tip of your blade. You withdraw your blade and stab him once again, this time in the heart. As he falls, you hear a shattering sound as a firebomb smashes not three feet in front of you, the hollows corpse shielding you from the flaming oil. You spy another undead in the distance rearing back to lob another bomb at you. Pushing the corpse out of the way, you rush forward, impaling him just as he's about to throw it, causing him to drop the bomb at his feet, enveloping him in fire. You turn to walk away, only to be ambushed by another hollow, this one leaping at you with a battle axe. You sidestep, letting him strike the ground before you kick him off the ledge. As you finish your climb, one last hollow stands between you and the Undead Burg. He charges at you, swinging his sword like a madman, allowing you to easily stab him through the eye socket, killing him instantly. After a few moments rest, you are satisfied that there are no more hollows that are going to jump out and kill you, so you loot the guy. Surprisingly, his armor, though crude, is in surprisingly good shape, and is better than going around in rags. His shortsword, while lacking the reach of your estoc, is also in good shape and would make for a superb backup weapon. After donning your new armor and strapping on your new blade, you head into the aquaduct tunnel, emerging into the sunlight of the Undead Burg.

--

October 4, 2012 at 12:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Oops. Should've listened to the old guy after all? Or maybe not, we got some nice loot out of it all. Shall we go find that bell?

Also, I love the almost contradictory tone you seem to be fond of using; in the second paragraph, the eloquent, flowing speech you use to set the mood, compacted in the end by a simple "fuck." Contradiction is one of my favorite devices when used correctly (i.e. like that). Also impressive is that you're largely the same author as the one who wrote the Weird Nuzlocke; you have a firm grasp on your style, one that you're able to adapt to different worlds without losing yourself in the process. Great work, I'm thoroughly enjoying this. We just need more people to enjoy it, though =/

--

The destructor has gone

October 4, 2012 at 2:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

The Undead Burg is a sprawling city built on top of itself. The roof of each building serves as the foundation for the house above it. Streets that seperate houses on the ground form chasms at this elevation, necessitating bridges that connect the various structures. In the distance you can spot a tower that spirals up further than any other structure in the area, connecting to a bridge far above.

The aquaduct deposits you on one of these rooftops. A handful of hollow warriors prowl the top, searching for whatever scraps they can find. After easily slaying them and exploring the abandoned houses, you find a set of throwing knives, holding on to them just in case. The house has another exit that leads to a bridge connecting to the adjacent complex. As you begin crossing it, you hear a rush of wind and lose your balance as a colossal crimson dragon lands on the bridge momentarily before launching off, flying towards the bridge above you. Shit. Nobody said anything about dragons. Judging from the size and coloration of the thing, it was a hellkite, vicious and powerful creatures. Taking one down is not a task you would relish, nor something you think is even really possible, especially with your current equipment. Regardless though, your quest awaits.

On the other side of the bridge, it appears that the hollows have set up defenses. There are primitive barricades scattered about, as well as a crossbowman on the roof of a nearby building. You draw a few of the undead towards you, ducking behind cover so that the sniper can't get a good shot at you. After dispatching them, you move from cover to cover, interposing your shield between the crossbowman and yourself until you're close enough to stab him. At his feet, you see another sword, this one worse than any of yours, and a wooden shield that's actually well made and larger than your newly found caduceus round shield. You take it, storing the round shield for another occasion.

Nearby, you spot a pair of well armed hollow soldiers guarding the entrance to a house. You cast soul arrow at them, bypassing their shields and armor, destroying them quickly. Inside the house is another undead, this one not completely hollow. He begins laughing madly as he sees you approach. His laughter almost distracts you long enough for another undead to strike at you with its axe. You dodge and push him off the ledge, where he becomes a bloody smear across the pavement below. You turn back to the undead who tried to distract you.

"Well, now, you seem to have your wits about you, hmm? Then you are a welcome customer! I trade for souls. Everything's for sale!" As he says this, he begins laughing once more. Against your better judgment, you decide to take a look at his wares.

--

October 4, 2012 at 10:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Interesting stuff... how many souls do we have to spend? I'd say our weapon and shield situations are good for now, maybe we should invest in some wearable armor?

--

The destructor has gone

October 6, 2012 at 12:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

After examining his inventory, you decide to purchase some more armor. You'd like to keep your load light, so you decide to stick with the Hollow Warrior's Armor, the leather and chain tunic you got earlier, but purchase the Chain Leggings and Coif as well as getting a pair of Leather Gauntlets. As you begin donning the armor, the merchant strikes up a conversation with you.

"It's actually quite nice here, you know? The hollows don't care for a skinny old twig like me. I've got Yulia, and nobody pelts me with stones anymore. You're Undead, you know how it is. I was treated worse back at home." You begin thinking back to Vinheim. It wasn't too long ago that the Darksign was a rare curse, those that had it bestowed upon them were mourned worse than if they had simply died. It meant they would have to spend eternity waiting for their mind to rot in an asylum. There was no peace to be had in death, as nothing could kill you forever. The Darksign's embers would continue to burn, forever. When the curse became a regular occurence, peoples outlook changed. They stopped mourning those with the Darksign, preferring to forget about them altogether. They had not died. They were no longer human and would eventually have no memory of who they were. Better to dwell in the present, while you were still alive, than to be surrounded by thoughts of the undead until your time to join them eventually came.

You attempt to steer the conversation away from home by asking about how he got these goods.

"Eh? My wares? Of course they're stolen; what did you think? And when you lose your head, I'll sell it all again!" He begins laughing again. You ask him what he means by 'when' you lose your head. "Things are getting treacherous in these parts. A horrible goat demon has moved in below. And up above, there's that humungous drake, and a bull demon, too. If you stick around this place, it might end up being your grave!" Once more, he laughs. You finish donning your armor and notice a curved sword strapped to the merchant's hip. You ask about it, curious as to why he didn't offer it for sale."Ah, this one? Ain't she lovely? Her name is Yulia. She's plumb in love with me. You'd never leave my side, now would you, Yulia?" You've never seen anybody so attached to a weapon before in your life. You decide it's probably best to come back later, when you have more souls to buy stuff with, if you come back at all.

You head across another bridge, only for firebombs to come raining down at you. You avoid the flames from them and see a trio of grenadiers on a rooftop further off. You seek shelter in the building on the other side of the bridge, running past another few firebombs. Inside a pair of hollows with battle axes try to flank you as a third, better armored swordsman cuts off the other exit. As the axemen swing their weapons, you bring your shield up, blocking their hits only for the swordsman to stab you in the side. You take a few steps to the side, trying to get them all in front of you rather than in a semicircle. You let your guard slip for a moment, which your enemies all see as an opportunity to attack. You do a wide sweep, knocking their weapons aside and slashing them across the chest before jumping out of the way. The swordsman slams into you with his shield, knocking you off balance. You regain it just as all three of the hollows try to attack you. You cut one of the axemen across the abdomen, causing his organs to spill out as you impale the other one, using him as a shield against the swordsman. As the two axemen lie dying, you thrust your sword through the remaining undead, killing him as well. You stop inside the room for a few minutes, catching your breath and drinking some estus. The burning warmth seems to heal your wounds, giving you the strength to keep going.

You dash to the next house, firebombs still shattering around you from up above. Inside, you find another pair of hollows. You easily dispatch them and find a storeroom with some black firebombs inside. These are more powerful than the regular kind, covering the area in a sticky tar, causing the flames to stick to the unlucky hollow who gets hit by it. You head back outside. The bombers are actually on the roof above you, so as long as you don't make your presence too obvious you should be safe, for now. You head up a set of stairs and find what could pass as a plaza for this area. Standing here are a trio of hollow warriors. One of them sees you and begins approaching slowly. You ready your sword and shield. He rears his arm back, holding a firebomb. Shit. You run up to him, trying to kill him before he can nail you with it. The other two undead see you now and manage to guard him from your attack. He throws the firebomb, missing you. You need to kill these guys quickly. Unfortunately, anytime you try to attack you find yourself getting hit by one of the others swords. You try to block one of their attacks only to find it was a distraction, allowing a firebomb to set your body aflame. You finally kill one of them as another undead stabs you in the back. You fall to your knees. You black out.

You awaken next to a bonfire you don't remember lighting. Your armor and sword are both covered in blood. Your body is sore and still a bit sensitive where you were burned. You look outside and figure out that you're near where the crossbowman from before was and see a bloody trail leading back from where you fell. You head back to the plaza and see a pool of dried blood from where you were stabbed, surrounded by ash. Your killers are nowhere to be seen.

--

October 6, 2012 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Never seen anyone so attached to a weapon? You've obviously never played Borderlands with me...

You're getting excellent at writing action sequences, by the way.

--

The destructor has gone

October 10, 2012 at 12:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

You continue traversing the rooftops of the Undead Burg, a little uneasy about what may have happened. As you pass by a tower, you notice a hollow crossbowman loading a bolt. Taking a glance further on, you see that it's obviously a trap. Three hollow warriors are up ahead, and assuming you don't take this archer out, they'll make short work of you. The decision is obvious then. You climb the tower and make short work of the sniper before heading into the battleground.

As soon as you begin heading down the stairs, one of the hollows, a swordsman, charges at you. Taking a step back as he lunges at you, you take the opening to plunge your own blade through his chest. His body shields you from the other two warriors, both spearmen. You push the swordsmans corpse down the stairs, knocking the other two down, making it easy to kill them. Up ahead lies the tower with the bridge. Your mind returns to the Bull Demon the merchant mentioned, and the Hellkite you saw earlier. Well, nobody said ringing the Bells of Awakening would be easy. In fact, most that you've encountered so far think that you're more likely to turn hollow. Perhaps that's what happened to all these undead. Perhaps they were attempting the same thing...

These are the thoughts that run through your mind just before you see the flaming barrel rolling down the staircase towards you. Leaping off the stairs just in time, the undead who pushed it charges at you. His blade cuts into your side, but you manage to stab him through the neck, cutting cleanly through the side of his neck as you withdraw your blade. As the hollow falls to the ground, you see another staircase that leads down into a tunnel. Curious, you go down. And immediately regret your decision.

An undead whimpers as its limp body slides off of the ebony blade the giant of a warrior that stands in front of you wields. He stands over his kill, triumphant. Even from behind, you can tell what this demon is. This is a Black Knight, the spirit of one of Lord Gwyn's Silver Knights that died whilst fighting demons, their armor charred black from their flames. Surely there's no way that you can defeat this monster.

And then he turns to face you. Shit, shit, shit!

You backtrack, hoping to get to some high ground, some familiar ground. As you glance behind you, you see he's gaining on you. Every so often, he stops to swing his sword, a sword as long as your Estoc and easily five times as wide. It leaves deep gashes in the stone stairs where you just stood. You continue sprinting up the stairs, noticing they slow him considerably, not surprising considering his heavy plate mail. An idea occurs to you. You climb the ladder up to where the grenadiers from earlier stood, now vanished due to whatever happened when you died. You pull out your catalyst, just as the Knight finishes climbing the stairs. Channeling your power through the staff, you cast Soul Arrow, but change something near the end. Ah. Now you remember. This is how you used to cast it. Not as a Soul Arrow, but slower, more focused. More powerful. Heavier. The Knight recoils from your blast. You bombard him with a few more Heavy Soul Arrows, before he eventually drops to his knees. One more blast, and his spirit disperses. All that remains are a few chunks of titanite from his armor and his sword. The blade, while heavy and a little unwieldy, is significantly more functional and balanced than the Zweihander you found earlier. Plus, it'd be sure to make short work of any hollow that crossed your path. Perhaps you'll do some training with it later...

You return to the tower, finally entering it. As you climb the spiral stairs within, you see a large barrel shaking. Against your better judgement, you smash it. A sparkling, gem encrusted lizard scurries out and down the stairs. A titanite lizard. Worth their weight in gold to a decent blacksmith, more to somebody looking to improve their equipment. You chase it, kicking it onto its back and stabbing at its soft belly.

At the top of the tower lies another fog gate. Fantastic. You walk through, and are now standing on the bridge. As you scan the skyline, you can see no demon. Strange. Maybe they just put it here for no reason? You begin traversing the bridge, only to see the Bull Demon you were warned about leap off of the tower right in front of you. It begins swinging its massive axe. You prep your defenses, raising your shield and attempting to dash between its legs, when an arrow stabs into the back of your knee. You fall. You turn and see a pair of archers at the top of the tower behind you, then turn back in time to see the axe smash into your face.

You awaken again at the bonfire. You return to the bridge. You climb the tower and assassinate the two guards. You climb back down and return to the blood and soot covered spot where you died. The Taurus Demon approaches. You pull out your catalyst and fire Heavy Soul Arrow after Heavy Soul Arrow at the beast. In time, it falls. You've had enough of dying. If you're to be the Chosen Undead, you need to stop getting distracted in your thoughts.

--

June 14, 2013 at 11:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Obvious "arrow to the knee" joke is way too obvious, so I'll refrain...

Still excellent at those action sequences, man. Just be careful you don't bite off more than you can chew with all these different projects you have.

--

The destructor has gone

June 18, 2013 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

As you leave the body of the demon, you continue towards the tower on the other end of the bridge. You can see the church in the distance, on the far side of another long bridge, guarded by more hollow soldiers. Opposite the bridge, you see another knight, staring off into the sunset. You approach him, readying your estoc and shield. He turns and greets you.

"Ah, hello! You don't look Hollow, far from it!" He bows. "I am Solaire of Astora, an adherent of the Lord of Sunlight. Now that I am Undead, I have come to this great land, the birthplace of Lord Gwyn, to seek my very own sun!" You give him a confused look. "… do you find that strange? Well, you should! No need to hide your reaction. I get that look all the time!" He begins laughing jovially.

You chat with Solaire for some time. As he takes off his helmet, you notice that his skin looks like that of a living human. He explains that as you regain your own humanity, you can use it to reverse the hollowing process. While human, it is possible to summon an ally, be summoned or summon yourself into another realm. As a Warrior of Sunlight, his duty is to answer the summons of those who need him. As he finishes his explanation, he puts his helmet back on and gazes thoughtfully at the sun.

"I have a proposition, if you have a moment." Of course. "The way I see it, our fates appear to be intertwined. In a land brimming with Hollows, could that really be mere chance? So, what do you say? Why not help one another on this lonely journey?" You readily agree. With the aid of another, this journey will be significantly easier, and from of all the people you've met thus far, you could not have asked for a better companion. "This pleases me greatly! Well then, take this." He hands you a piece of white soapstone. "We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land. The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out. The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure. There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact. But, use this, to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds, and engage in jolly co-operation! Of course, we are not the only one engaged in this. But I am a warrior of the sun! Spot my summon signature easily by its brilliant aura. If you miss it, you must be blind!" He laughs once more. As you begin walking away, he stops you once more, warning you to be careful on the bridge up ahead. The Altar of Sunlight is just inside the tower on the other side of the bridge, and it's virtually impossible to get to. You fail to see why. A couple of soldiers are childs play to you now. This should be easy.

Before you cross, you ask Solaire if he's sure he doesn't want to come with you. He continues staring off into the distance. "I will stay behind, to gaze at the sun. The sun is a wondrous body. Like a magnificent father! If only I could be so grossly incandescent!" Okay then. Though friendly, he's definitely one of the weirder people you've met. Regardless, you head down the bridge. As you ready your arms in preparation to fight the hollows, they look up at the sky in terror as a wave of flame billows towards them. You run towards cover, your shield helping to protect you from the terrible flames. A few seconds later, you hear a heavy thud, and look up to see the hellkite perched above the gate, taunting you. You look around, and spot a nearby staircase that leads below the bridge dashing to it, you make it downstairs just in time to avoid being incinerated.

The room below the bridge has two paths. One leads to a ladder that takes you back to the bonfire in the Undead Burg, the other goes directly beneath the bridge. Down here, you see a few more hollow soldiers, and the hellkites tail swaying just out of reach. You easily slay the soldiers and decide now is as good a time as any to see about upgrading your armor. You piece together a makeshift breastplate from a combination of their armor and your own. Though a little heavier, you're able to maintain most of your mobility.

As you continue on beneath the bridge, you find a path that leads under the bridge, where you are assaulted by a trio of giant undead rats. They charge at you, nearly pushing you off of your precarious walkway. You slash at them a few times, pushing them back, then impale two of them subsequently. The third scurries away, hoping to escape. You chase it down and run it through.

A ladder leads brings you up to the base of the tower. As you step out, you can see the Altar of Sunlight to your left, behind a portcullis that is inaccessible from this side. Perhaps it's at the top of the tower. You glance up and see a Black Knight with a massive greatsword standing guard. Better not try it. You only defeated the last one because it couldn't climb ladders. Deciding on another course of action, you turn to the right and kill another undead soldier. Another portcullis lies ahead of you. You look through and see a whole army of undead and a large, armored boar. Well. This is another fine mess you've gotten yourself into...

--

July 4, 2013 at 4:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I love how hilariously out of place Solaire seems contrasted to the rest of the characters in this narration. I really do need to get into Dark Souls too, I suppose, so I can understand and contribute better.

--

The destructor has gone

July 10, 2013 at 1:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

624 views - 0 comments
818 views - 4 comments