Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > In-Game Strats

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

What are some of your favorite strategies with your Pokemon during the main adventure? Maybe something you've used in a Nuzlocke or even a more casual run. Nothing competitive-worthy here, just good in-game sets or walling combos (Swampert and Skarmory in RSE, for example, make a perfect walling pair). I'll give you some of mine to start:

FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald - Helena's Set (SubDance Gyara)

Gyarados with Hyper Beam, Earthquake, Substitute, Dragon Dance

SubDance works amazingly well against 3rd Gen AI, as it seems to be too stupid to understand how it works. You can often get up 6 Dances on one Sub just because the computer will keep trying to use status moves on you, even after seeing "But it failed!" over and over and over. If you plan to run this against the Kanto E4 like I did in my very first Nuzlocke, just be sure you have some other plan for Agatha; there's not much a Gyarados can do to touch ghosts in 3rd Gen without wasting a slot on a Special move. Swap Hyper Beam for Strength or Return if you don't like the recharge turn, though again, often with a Sub up it just doesn't matter.

Emerald Only - Jaffar/Trolololo Set (Passing a Sub to Shedinja)

Ninjask with Substitute and Baton Pass, and Shedinja, preferably with Screech and/or Swords Dance

No one but Tamoria knows about this since I never finished my Emerald Narration and she's the only one who watched my videos, but I beat Wallace in my Emerald Nuz with a Shedinja. Wallace in Emerald, most notably, but also Juan, can only damage Shedinja with Toxic; none of their Pokemon have any moves that are super-effective against Shedinja. However, if you manage to send a Ninjask out there and Baton Pass a Substitute to a Shedinja to make him immune to status, you get an invincible sweeper. Teach him Swords Dance and Screech, and you can use him at a 20 or 30 level disadvantage. Give him Aerial Ace and you won't have to worry about Double Team, either. This is really kind of cheap and requires you to know your opponent's moveset ahead of time, but it's something everyone should try at least once.

HeartGold/SoulSilver/Platinum - Bernadette's Set (Attractafusion Umbreon)

FEMALE Umbreon with Attract, Confuse Ray, Payback, Dig/Toxic

Attract is really never viable in competitive play because you never know what gender your opponent's Pokemon will be, as most serious trainers don't discriminate, they just go for the first egg that has the desired IVs. However, in-game, it's simply a fact that all the most powerful bosses' Pokemon are male. This strategy doesn't only work with Umbreon, I'm sure, but not many Pokemon can learn Attract and Confuse Ray, and Umbreon's got the best defenses out of the ones that do. This is definitely a patient set, but against a male opponent, the Attractafusion combo only gives him a 25% chance to touch you on any given turn. I beat Chuck's Poliwrath with this set (which admittedly was a terrible idea; you probably shouldn't leave your Umbreon in on any strong fighting-type), it's just one of the best defensive sets I can come up with. If you're not worried about coverage, just give her a Dark move and add Toxic to slowly drain your opponent as he fails to hit you. If you really wanna be a dick and have a ton of patience, forget an offensive move althogether and breed Wish onto her, or just level her up to learn Moonlight. It would take forever, but I bet even Red couldn't stop a level 50 female Umbreon with such a set. Add Brightpowder/Lax Incense for even more trolololz.

*EDIT: I forgot to point this out, but when an opponent is attracted and confused at the same time, the game always rolls for the confusion FIRST. So attraction will never cost you confusion damage. Also, unless you switch out, attraction never wears off, so I recommend using Attract before Confuse Ray. Then Toxic if you have it, otherwise just chip away with the better of your two offensive moves.

--

The destructor has gone

March 23, 2012 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

It's nothing specific, and probably not a viable tactic for anything more difficult than casual play, but I enjoy packing all of my mons with at least one really odd attack move. It's never as effective with them as it would be with anyone with a STAB bonus, and I rarely actually build them around the move, but it works. Mostly it serves to confuse the hell out of the AI. I doubt they programed the game to compensate for a Seviper shooting fire everywhere or a Typhlosion whipping out an earthquake.

Sure it's gotten me in trouble from time to time, but it usually ends up saving me spectacularly.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

March 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Haha, yeah, "random-ass runs," I like to call them. I particularly like using a Special Gyarados for those.

But yeah, that's all I want this thread to be, casual play stuff. I think I did the thread an injustice with my strats... But, that really is fun for me, I'm just tactical to a fault. I'd really love to stop doing that.

--

The destructor has gone

March 23, 2012 at 9:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I over analyze things all the time. It's kind of terrible. A disability. I should get money from the government for it. Like that stipend given to Mensa recipients. Or just welfare. I wouldn't have to do any work to keep that. Gonna be quiet now.

Back to strategies. Another I commonly use is something I like to call "Throw a Vaporeon/Umbreon at it."
It usually works.

--

March 23, 2012 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Ah, but that would require our government to accept common mental disabilities such as depression and anxiety as legitimate problems that can be dealt with in ways other than expensive prescriptions and/or trips to the looney bin, which would remove a vital cog that keeps the System running smoothly. Yeah, I didn't say anything either.

Let's see, aside from the really tactical stuff... Oh, I also like using Flareon sometimes in FireRed/LeafGreen. He's easily the worst of the three original Eeveelutions, and might still be the worst out of all of them, but in Gen 3, for in-game, he's not half bad, if you keep him in his niche. Give him a powerful fire move, Fire Blast or Overheat, to take advantage of STAB, then Shadow Ball and Dig to take advantage of his monstrous Attack. With his awesome Special Defense, he actually makes a great Psychic-slayer with Shadow Ball, and Flash Fire and Dig help him take on other Fire types. He can easily take Erika, Sabrina, and Blaine by himself, can help with Koga (the levitating Koffings and Weezings screw him up though), and can serve as a nice answer to Agatha's Ghosts and Poisons too. For the fourth move, if you can get a good Hidden Power on him, that's great, but I generally go with Hyper Beam just as a finisher to maximize his physical power.

Again, definitely not as good as Vaporeon or Jolteon, but as a Kanto, Gen 3 fire type, I'd say only Charizard is better. You should definitely try him out sometime.

--

The destructor has gone

March 24, 2012 at 2:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I accidentally a political on the internet. My bad.

I gave Flareon a shot once before and he just didn't cut it for me. At least not in comparison to other, previously mentiond badass eeveeloutions. But since I recently wiped my FR cartrige for a Nuzlocke I never got around to I might just have to use one again. Also it would be an excuse to finally do a terribad nuzlocke run on the handheld platform. Maybe document it here? Possibly.

--

March 24, 2012 at 2:48 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Yeah, honestly Flareon is really not worth much outside of FR/LG. I have a decent competitive set for 4th Gen, but it requires an egg move, an expensive Battle Tower Tutor move, two TMs, and rigorous EV training. And he's still never KO'd anything for me.

Terribad Nuzlocke runs are the best. Please do. It has been far too long since I've read a Nuz, and we are hurting for content.

On that note, should I do another, just for the sake of site action? I have that half-done one that I was recording videos of... I could type up some updates for the videos I recorded and then continue it the old-fashioned way.

--

The destructor has gone

March 24, 2012 at 3:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Hehe, definitely liking these strats, and wow is that Umbreon set incredibly troll worthy.

Personally, in general I really prefer being on the offense. Not the most patient in-game. Usually I play with Pokes that I like with a diverse moveset, but I HAVE had one set that I was proud of. I've already mentioned this way back sometime, but in my Emerald Nuzlocke, I ran a Kecleon with Slash, Brick Break, and Ancient Power, and it's main schtick was Skill Swap. After giving the opponent Color Change, those attacks coud be alternated for every other attack being super effective, and there's something really satisfying about hitting a ghost with a normal and fighting move. That Kecleon of mine actually was one of my main sweepers in the E4. I'm sure there are other, better options for moves to go with this strategy, too.

--

March 24, 2012 at 9:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

In my LG Nuzlocke, I was loving the shit out of my Venomoth build. It singlehandedly wiped Koga's entire gym. Hidden Power: Bug, Psywave, Substitute and later I believe I gave it Toxic. Anything it couldn't directly kill it could avoid. Of course, this was also the first time I really used Substitute, so...

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

March 25, 2012 at 12:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I've always meant to try a Venomoth in game, I think I might try that set next time I play through a game where they can be caught.

--

March 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Hehe, you told me about that Keckleon in one of your first ever posts here, actually... That brings back some memories =)

I'm trying it now in a casual, do-stuff-I've-never-done-before Emerald run, and while I haven't yet gotten the Brick Break TM, I gotta say I love Keckleon even without Skill Swap. His STAB normal moves do a ton of damage, when he's Normal-type, that is, and he's pretty much immune to all special attacks, especially when he becomes that type. I can't wait until I can actually start using Skill Swap.

Quick thought about that set though, if you replaced Slash with Aerial Ace, you'd get a perfect triangle of flying-rock-fighting that would always be super-effective against each other. You'd be missing out on STAB, but again, Keckleon is so slow that you'd probably get your normal-typing removed before you can Skill Swap. I think I'm going to try that out, I'll tell you how it works!

And X, yes, I remember that Venomoth of yours. I love the shit out of that set, I am definitely trying it in my next Kanto run, too.

And Substitute is easily one of my favorite moves in the game.

--

The destructor has gone

March 25, 2012 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Well, regarding my Attractafusion set, I can almost back up my claim; I just beat Red with a level 55 Umbreon with Attract, Confuse Ray, Toxic, and Dig. I held Brightpowder, but in hindsight I recommend Lefties because not only would they cancel Hail damage, but also, Blizzard is 100% accurate in Hail, ignoring other factors like Brightpowder (he must've used it against me 15 times, and never missed once). Also, again, would've been better off with Wish, but she didn't have it.

--

The destructor has gone

March 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments