Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > The Underlying Meaning

B "Diddy" M

A lot of people here Everyone here plays games in one form or another so, what do you all think are good examples of games with a great underlying meaning? By that I mean, what about a game is designed to make the player think about events? For example, to avoid spoilers, a game like Bioshock that shakes the fondations of gaming for a lot of people.

If this isn't clear or anything, I'll post an example later. I'm kinda sorta maybe totally supposed to be doing homework right now.

--

February 6, 2012 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

First of all, glad to see you back here, Diddy! Second of all, excellent post.

I think you brought up the best example in BioShock, but I'd like to use my post to praise Tales of Symphonia. Classic RPGs are usually more focused on the glory of the quest or saving a princess or whatever, and while it did certainly have those elements, I thought it did a wonderful job tackling the issues of racism and eugenics.

I'd love to explain further, but there's at least one person who may read this who I know has yet to play ToS (on a related note, if any of you find or have a copy you'd like to sell me, please let me know). But for any of you who have played, I'm sure you remember how it started addressing these issues early on, only to exponentially expand on them and complicate them as the story progressed.

--

The destructor has gone

February 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian
If you've never seen it, I HIGHLY recommend taking a look at Extra Credits: http://penny-arcade.com/patv/show/extra-credits Basically, it asks where gaming should go, as an art form, as a form of entertainment, as a form of media. It is probably one of, if not the best thought provoking web series that I've seen. In a more direct response to your question, I've always found the best games are the ones that ask the hard questions, the ones that cannot be answered definitively or that don't favor one outcome over another. In my experience, roughly 90% of the time morality is handled poorly, usually as just another mechanic to give your character buffs. You beat the game as the Good guy, now beat it as the Bad guy. And usually it doesn't even matter what it was your character did, each action is worth a certain number of points toward one side or the other, so you're shoehorned into one decision if you want to get the real ending and not half-ass it. My point I guess is that a lot of games try to add depth and meaning by putting in MORAL CHOICES which are about as deep as a puddle and realistically give you no choice. The few ones that I've seen do this well are mostly Bioware RPGs, but even they're not immune to it. I want a game that changes based on individual actions, not just the sum of them. No person is truly good or truly evil. That's two dimensional thinking, and people are not two dimensional. Every action we do in the game should affect the game. From what I remember, Planescape Torment did a wonderful job at this very thing, and is widely considered the greatest RPG of all time because of it.
--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

February 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

BioShock is definitely what came to mind when I first started reading the prompt, and I am not at all surprised that it has already been brought up. I don't think any game has made me think as much as that one has; I was seriously in a stupor for several days after the scene with Andrew Ryan.

I'm having trouble thinking of other really good ones. There's Fable, but the morals are pretty weakly handled, with everything having a pretty straight-up answer of "this action make you good" and "this one makes you bad." I think the only choice that really says anything about you is the choice at the end of the game, since I think it's only your actual morals that would decide rather you kill to get a nice weapon or not.

--

February 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I agree with everything posted here.

In my opinion, Pokemon Black and White are actually fantastic examples of this as well. The subplot of the ethical grounds to train and battle pokemon is amazing in my opinion. It adressed a lot of things that we deal with in real life (i.e. dog fighting, cock fighting etc).

Another great example, as Nick said, is Tales of Symphonia. I won't spoil anything.. but damn. That game blew my freakin' mind. On the note of having a copy, I don't, BUT I know a fantastic emulator that I use to run it if you have a good computer.

--

February 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Which emulator is that? I can't seem to find a good GCN emulator.

A year later, and I still say Black and White are the best single-player Pokemon experience ever. The story is a big reason I feel that way.

--

The destructor has gone

February 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Awesome, I'd love to know of a good emulator! After hearing everyone talking about it, I am dying to play this game!

And I definitely agree on the Black and White topic. Nothing like a game that makes you question something you've taken for granted since childhood.

--

February 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

If you want to experience the story of Tales of Symphonia, at least, there's an anime rendition I could link you to, if you don't mind subtitles. If you at all think that you'll get the game, though, I recommend holding off. The anime will mean more to you after playing the game than the game will after watching the anime. If that makes sense.

Anyway, if I find you a copy, you know I'll send it your way.

--

The destructor has gone

February 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

The emulator I use is Dolphin 3.0 for Windows x64 bit. It works very well with little to no choppy gameplay. Of course, since it's supposed to be a GC but it's on the cpu, the graphics are kind of buggy but there is a fix for that as well. I'll look into my version later if you'd like and see what is needed to make it run like mine does. I've managed to beat Wind Waker with it, so I think it's a great emulator.

--

February 19, 2012 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

It and its fixes need to be compatible with Wine for me to work it, but it may work for Tam. As long as Wine has made a patch for it, I have no doubt my computer has the brains and muscle to pull it off. Hers is pretty new too, so yeah, that may do it! Thanks Diddy.

--

The destructor has gone

February 19, 2012 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments