Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Video Games (Miscellaneous) > Tales of Symphonia

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I recently found my copy after having misplaced it for four years (CAN you even "misplace" something for four years, or is it just flat-out gone at that point?), and I got about 5 hours into a new run, only to learn that I ALREADY fucked it up for the path I like to take.

See, I decided to run to Luin right after the Ossa Trail and hit the guideposts so I'd be better off later, and because you can also actually get a Silver Sword before even getting on the boat to Palmacosta, which I thought would be the most bad-ass thing ever.

Well, all that actually WAS really sound, except I made the mistake of stopping by Hima =/ Which I forgot forces me onto the "hard path," which I'd be totally up for, only it seems this path forces you out of the Kratos training scenes. If you know what those scenes do, all this makes sense to you, if not, I'll avoid saying any more so as not to spoil it. Just know it affects something MUCH later in the game. So basically, I'm about to restart the whole game -.- Fun.

Anyway, this thread isn't just about my run that will be occupying most of my free time in the next several weeks, although I do plan to update it here. Rather, this is just a general discussion thread for the game. Please be so kind as to alert readers to any potential spoilers with the usual SPOILER ALERT warning, and maybe even scratch through any spoiler text like this so it's easily avoidable at a glance if so desired. I know at least one person here hasn't played, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone. As long as you take care to telegraph your spoilers though, talk about anything relating to the game here.

For those of you that haven't played this game, GO FIND IT. Seriously, eBay, used game stores in your area (just not GameStop. Please don't give GameStop money for any reason), bum it off a friend, download an illegal ROM, I do not care. Everyone needs to experience this game.

--

The destructor has gone

November 24, 2011 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Last paragraph. Do it.
Tales of Symphonia is easily in my list of top ten list of Best Fucking Games. Srsly It's great. Especially with friends. ToS on Steam petition now.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

November 24, 2011 at 9:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

From the time of my last post to the time of this post, I have done nothing but get back to where I alluded to before in a new file. I'm now pretty damn sick of this game, but thankfully, from now on it's just gonna be stuff I haven't done in years.

I have also disproven a common misconception about the "hard path" vs the "easy path." Every online guide I've seen says that if you go to Hima, Asgard, or Luin before sailing to Palmacosta, you're stuck with the hard path and can't sail. However, this is not entirely true, and you can probably tell which part based on the fact that I typed Luin in bold font.

On my first runthrough, I had no idea what the hell was going on and me and a bro were just kind of dickin' around at this part of the game. We both noticed the random encounters here were insanely difficult, but we pressed on until we found the next town. I initially disregarded Izoold because back then I was stupid and couldn't find the guy I had to talk to to make the boat appear >.> So for me, the next available town was Luin. However, after seeing all the jacked-up prices in Luin (I also wasn't as conservative with my finances as I am now... I was 13, and I was kinda stupid, ok?) I couldn't even afford anything so I grudgingly gave up and turned around.

I must've done it just right though, because I was eventually able to go back to Izoold and get the boat to appear. If you want the easy path (and, more importantly for me, the Kratos training scenes), you do have to completely avoid Hima and Asgard. However, there is only one specific part of Luin you have to avoid. If you go to Luin via the west intrance (the one closest to you coming from Ossa Trail), you're forced into a cutscene with Sheena, which is REALLY what activates the hard path for you. If you go in the EAST, however, you start out directly in front of the shop and awesome customization house, and you never have to meet Sheena. If you do it this way, you can still wind up with ridiculously OP'd items for your part of the game and still go the "easy way."

So, having successfully done it this time (also unlocking the guideposts, so when I have to come here for real, I can do it all on Noishe's back! Hell yeah!), I grabbed Sinclair instead of Silver Sword since I had an extra White Silver this time around, and Sinclair is actually useful a little longer than the Silver Sword is. So as much as I loved the idea of bossing it up with Kratos for the next ~5 hours of gameplay, SInclair is the better call. However, in the immediate short-term, it does nothing because I'm not going to let Lloyd equip it for a while longer... I'm trying to get that title you get for only using the Wooden Sword up until about 7 hours in. Once I get that title though, look the fuck out. Also grabbed Genis' best kendama, the Hydro Daggar for Kratos, a few nice pieces of armor, and still wound up with about 5000 Gald left over. Tomorrow is lookin' good.

--

The destructor has gone

November 25, 2011 at 2:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

...And I just made my restart completely pointless after missing the third fucking Kratos training scene. Meaning I effectively wasted about 15 hours of gameplay between both runs. Goddammit. No way I'm starting over now, I'll just have to deal with it.

However... I'm reading conflicting info on teh interwebz. So, I want to ask a question to anyone who knows better than I.

SPOILER ALERT

Only read the scratched-out text if you have already beaten this game and are aware of the presence of multiple endings:

Initially, I was under the belief that to get Kratos to rejoin the party, your affection score with him had to be about as high as possible, and you had to get all four training scenes in Sylvarant. However, I'm also reading that you can manufacture that ending by simply rejecting all three visitors in the Flanoir "snowy night" scene. Then, supposedly, Kratos will appear as a fourth guest, triggering his eventual reunion with the party. Which is true?

END SPOILERS

--

The destructor has gone

November 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

SPOILERIFIC REPLY (to the max)

I had only ever heard about the training session method, and have never actually tried it, but I do know FOR A FACT that if you reject everyone in Flanoir Kratos will return. I've done it multiple times.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

November 29, 2011 at 1:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

SPOILISCIOUS REPLY TO THE SPOILERIFIC REPLY

Wait, so there is absolutely NO point to building affection with Kratos then? *sigh* Then it seems I've wasted a good chunk of this run in THAT way too. Gotta keep going though, just got to Tethe'alla. Anyway, thank you for confirming.

--

The destructor has gone

November 29, 2011 at 2:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments