Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Elder Scrolls > On the Edge of the Heavens

Xelakian

So, I'm terrible at planning ahead. Let's get that out of the way.

I picked up Skyrim recently. I've been playing it pretty much exclusively. So, rather than let the site die due to my lack of presence, I figured that I'll do something of a narrated game of Skyrim. This way, I get to enjoy the awesomeness that Bethesda has dropped as though its molecules were excited, whilst you, dear readers, have some reason to keep this site alive for. Remember, activity begets activity, and activity keeps the spambots away.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

November 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Sweet, new content! Much appreciated. I'll be following and posting religiously.

Semi-related, does this mean Spiritual Superconductor is off, or are you going to keep updating that from time to time too? I'd just like to know for the sake of homepage linking.

--

The destructor has gone

November 14, 2011 at 11:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Sounds like an awesome idea. Skyrim has a lot of potential for this kind of thing. You can count me among the followers as well.

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

November 14, 2011 at 11:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Spiritual Superconductor is on hiatus for the time being. I may post something at some point, but don't expect anything until Xmas at the earliest. I think that I'll be running a Dunmer Spellsword. I'll also be able to finally put to use all that lore I've been saving up.

--

November 15, 2011 at 6:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I'll definitely be following this as well. Skyrim + Work is about all I've been doing lately, so more Skyrim durring my internet time will be pretty awesome.

Yay Dunmer.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

November 15, 2011 at 10:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Yeah, so I've got it started, but I want to know whether you'd rather have me text dump on you as to what happened between Oblivion and Skyrim or if you'd prefer to read the stuff on your own. Because for those of you keeping track at home, about 200 years have passed between games. And the Empire's in bad shape.

--

November 16, 2011 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I'll be honest, I haven't actually followed the franchise, so I would probably benefit from a text dump. But if it would save you time and effort I'm sure I could dig up all the backstory I need by myself.

--

The destructor has gone

November 16, 2011 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Dragon(s Re)born

Suggested Reading: The Fourth Era, Dunmer, House Redoran

The first thing I notice is the leather binding my hands together. The second thing I notice is how cold it is.

My name is Rayln Sarethi. I am a Dunmer belonging to the formerly Great House Redoran. I was sent to deliver a message to the Empire, requesting aid against the Argonians who were growing increasingly violent. As I set off from Blacklight, I crossed through Skyrim, time being paramount. As I reached the southern border, I fell into an Imperial ambush, set up for a Nordic resistance group known as the Stormcloaks. They knocked me unconscious and stole my gear.

I woke up to find myself being driven by cart to a small town known as Helgen. One of the Stormcloaks tells me that their leader, Jarl Ulfric, was also captured. Captured and gagged, I learn, to prevent him from using something known as the Voice as a weapon.

We enter Helgen. The Stormcloak across from me continues rambling on about nothing in particular. We stop in front of an executioners block. They unload us from the cart. They have no record of me. I tell them who I am and why I was there. The guardsman I'm speaking to seems sympathetic, but his superior orders my execution nonetheless. A priestess of Arkay begins praying for our souls, interrupted by a Stormcloak who would rather join his ancestors in the afterlife (Sovngarde, as they call it) than suffer through pretenses of compassion. The executioner happily obliged.

A noise was heard. In the confusion I loosened my bindings. If I had any chance of getting out of here it was now. Unfortunately, they pushed me up to the block next. Just a little more...

They place my neck on the slab. My hands aren't free. The executioner is ready. A roar. A black shadow flying through the clouds. A cry of confusion and fear. I find myself staring face to face with a black dragon. He roars, everybody is pushed backwards onto the ground. My hands are free. He roars again. The village is incinerated. Only a few of us remain. I run for shelter from the inferno, along with a few Stormcloaks. Ulfric is there as well. We climb the tower, trying to find a way to escape a creature that hadn't been seen in Tamriel for centuries. We try to clear some debris out of our way, only for the dragon to break through the wall and let loose a blast of fire. Seeing it as a way out, I jump past it into a destroyed building behind it. I safely make it and drop down to the ground. I find the guardsman from before trying to save a boy. He orders me to follow him, clearly panicking. We make it to a keep, where one of the Stormcloaks tries to cut us off. He's interrupted by another assault from the dragon. We use this as an opportunity to get inside.

Once inside, the guardsman, whose name I learn is Hadvar, calms down a bit. He helps me find some armor and a weapon. We go through the keep, fighting off Stormcloaks and narrowly avoiding falling debris. We eventually make it out okay, where he pardons me, telling me to go to Riverwood and suggesting I join the Imperial Guard. After nearly being executed, I'd rather not, but he insists, stating that it'd probably be the best way for me to get the assistance I needed. I take it into consideration. We then part ways. I travel up the road, finding an old iron mine occupied by bandits. I cannot stand banditry. They prey on the weak. They are without honor. I take more than a little pleasure in running each and every one of them through with my blade.

I get to Riverwood where I am directed towards Whiterun to inform the Jarl of the dragon. I head to the trader to pick up supplies, only to learn that thieves robbed his store of a prized possesion of his, a golden claw. He informs me that they went to Bleak Falls Barrow, at the top of the mountain. I head up the path, when I encounter a group of bandits holed up in a decrepit watchtower. I slay them all with ease.

Inside the Barrow, I find more bandits as well as a number of traps. When I was young I had fought against Argonians and had fallen into enough traps to recognize the more obvious ones. I find a room covered in webs, a Dunmer pleading for help at the far end. A spider easily twice the size of a horse descends from the ceiling. It poisons me, but I strike it down. I approach the Dunmer, who is wrapped up in the spiders webs, and see the claw shining in the torchlight. He says he'll give it back to me if I free him. I do so, only for him to run off, calling me a fool. I chase after him into what appears to be a mausoleum. The dead rise from their alcoves and strike him down. Then they come after me.

I fight my way through the Draugr (the Nordic name for this sort of undead) until I reach a large circular door. It had a sort of ring lock. The claw appeared to have the correct combination on it as well as acting as the key. It led into a large cavern with a carved wall. As I approached it, I heard voices whispering to me. Symbols on the wall jumped out at me, imprinting them into my memory. The whispers became clear, telling me what the word meant: FUS, force. I heard a clatter behind me. I turned to see a Draugr ready his axe. He was significantly stronger than the others in this tomb. Not stronger than a Redoran. He falls and I take my leave of the barrow.

As I leave, I encounter the chief of the bandits in this region. He had been tracking me down, and was ready to sic his strongest mercenaries on me. I knock them out of the way and go directly after the chief. He's a strong fighter. He would've made a fine warrior, had he not chosen baditry as his profession. Knocking him off balance with a shield bash, I run him through just like all the people who worked for him. The mercenaries, seeing their employer dead, scatter and try to pick me off with pot shots. I chase each of the cowards down, ensuring that there would not be a repeat of this sort of encounter. I return the claw to the trader and smith myself some steel armor. It's not bonemold, but it'll do.

I now head North, to Whiterun, to warn the Jarl of the dragon that destroyed Helgen.

--

November 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Love your style as always, X. This story is intriguing, can't wait to see where it goes next!

--

The destructor has gone

November 19, 2011 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

YISSSSssss

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

November 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Update coming soon to a forum near you!

I've been trying to keep the pace of this character rather slow (ie not playing it obsessively) so that I don't have a ridiculous amount of story to cover with each update. Unfortunately, that means my other characters are being played obsessively, so I apologize about the lack of more frequent updates.

--

November 23, 2011 at 2:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments