Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > An Emerald Nuzlocke: Scipio's Story

Tamoria

Hey, y'all! Tam here. This is the story of my first Nuzlocke, which was done on one of my favorite games, Emerald Version. Anyway, this story picks up just before the third Gym, because a) I wanted to keep this short, and b) like I said, this is my first ever Nuzlocke, which I did months and months ago, so I don't remember everything from the beginning. I wasn't expecting to write this at first, so I don't have any notes. I mostly remember the important things, but details I have to pick up either from what I can gather on my save file or from looking at Bulbapedia.

Anyway, a bit of quick info: This is different from my SS run in that Pokemon don't talk. I wanted to try writing without that, and it also helps speed things along.

The main character is Scipio, which I named the guy on a whim. If there's anything I remember from my World History class, it's that name. I chose the guy character because I was really tired of Brandon as the rival, and I wanted to read May's dialogue for a change.

May's Pokemon are named after the last names of the Homestuck kids. This isn't really relevant to anything... I just really like Homestuck.

So without further ado, I'll begin!

--

June 21, 2011 at 8:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I followed my Mightyena as she silently led me through thetall grass on Route 110, her nose to the ground as she tracked a scent. Wemoved quickly but quietly, doing our best to avoid detection, the perfect hunting duo as we stalked the one we knew was here. At last, she reached the end of the patch of grass and was still, pointing with her nose to indicate she had found the target. I parted the last of the tall grass and sure enough, there was the mark, crouching down to examine something and facing away from us, completely unaware of our presence. “Nice job, Domithilde,” I whispered, affectionately scratching the Pokémon behind the ears. She turned her piercing eyes onto mine with a cynical expression, and I could tell she was questioning the wisdom of how I was going about this. “Just trust me, Dom; this will be great!” I tiptoed silently out of the grass and moved slowly to the target, until I was standing directly above her. She was so engrossed with whatever she was examining that she still hadn’t realized I was there, and I took a moment to savor the position until I couldn’t handle the excitement any longer. I suddenly grabbed her shoulders and screamed, “SURPRISE ATTACK!!!”

May yelped and jumped forward, landing on her feet and pivoting around to face me in one fluid, panicked motion. I doubled over laughing while her face went red with anger. “Scipio, not cool! I was trying to find a hidden item! God, why do you always do that!?”

“I can’t help it, you’re hilarious when you’re scared!”

“I was startled, not scared!”

“Right, sure,” I answered, and she crossed her arms with an annoyed look. Despite her reactions to me, we were actually best friends, and had been since I moved to Littleroot Town a year ago. After all, we were the only 13-year-olds in that small town. We had even recently set out on our Pokémon journey at the same time, and I was more than happy to act as her rival. I always won, and pretty easily at that. As Domithilde strolled up to me, I flashed a huge grin to May. “So, how about a rematch? Try to last longer than last time, alright?”

“Don’t be so smug, Skip,” she chided, but still fished out a pokéball and released a Lombre.

My Mightyena started to advance forward, but I held out an arm to stop her. “Hold up, Domithilde. I know who would be perfect for this.” I returned her and instead sent out my Beautifly, Silvia. May stared at it for a moment before suddenly bursting out laughing. I squared my shoulders and asked, “What? What’s so funny?”

“A Beautifly, Skip? Really? That’s pretty gay!” she said between giggles.

“Your face is gay!” I returned. “Silvia, don’t listen to her. Use a Gust attack!”

May stopped laughing when my Pokémon flapped her wings rapidly, causing streaks of wind to slice at her Lombre. May became serious and retaliated with a Nature Power, which turned into Swift and barely hurt my Beautifly. One more Gust and her Lombre had had enough. She returned it, glowering, and said, “You just beat Lalonde because of a type advantage! Let’s see how you like it!” I was expecting her to send out the Torkoal she had used in Rustboro City, but she instead sent out a new Pokémon, a Slugma.

I returned Silvia and reached for the pokéball containing my Aron, Toledo, but at the last minute changed my mind and sent out my starter, a Combusken named Hezekiah. “There. Now no one has a type advantage. I bet you anything I still win!”

“You’re on!” she exclaimed, smiling confidently. “Strider, use Rock Throw!”

I returned the smile, knowing what she was up to and also knowing that it wouldn’t work. “Hezekiah, Double Kick.” Hezekiah dashed forward as the Slugma chucked a large rock at him. He used the first kick on the rock as it sailed towards him, diverting its path harmlessly into the ocean, and struck down hard on the fire slug Pokémon with the second kick, knocking it out.

May was obviously frustrated at this point as she returned her Slugma. “You could have told me your starter was part Fighting type now,” she complained as she sent out her last Pokémon, her own starter Egbert the Marshtomp.

“Alright, look May, I’m going to send out a Normal type Pokémon, and if I win, you have to admit that it’s because I’m better and it has nothing to do with types. Okay?” I didn’t wait for her answer, and returned Hezekiah while releasing one of my first Pokémon, Lenny the Zigzagoon.

“That wouldn’t prove anything! Egbert, Water Gun!”

“Lenny, hit it first, and try to make it flinch!” Lenny zigzagged his way quickly to the Marshtomp, making it difficult to take aim at him. The Marshtomp watched him carefully and inhaled deeply in preparation for a Water Gun, but didn’t get a chance before Lenny reached him and slammed into his stomach with a Headbutt. Egbert coughed back up the air he had inhaled, losing his chance for an attack. Lenny bounced off him, landed on all fours, and slammed back into his foe before the Marshtomp could catch its breath again. Egbert cried out and stumbled back a few steps, but May called out encouragement for him to keep going. The water Pokémon finally managed to let loose a stream of water, which knocked over Lenny and sent him barreling backwards to land in a soaked heap at my feet. I kneeled down to inspect him, asking, “Are you alright, Lenny?”

In answer, the Zigzagoon bounced back onto its feet, shook itself roughly to send water spraying all over me, and let out a couple of short, eager barks. I laughed and rubbed my face against my sleeve to dry myself off a little as Lenny bounded towards the Marshtomp and delivered one more Headbutt, knocking it out and winning the match.

May crouched down to her starter to make sure he was alright, and then returned him with a sigh. “Scipio, you really should take it easy. You’re going to get your Pokémon killed at the pace you’re going at, or else really hurt someone else’s! Remember that Torkoal I had? I had to release the poor thing after your Combusken was through with it!”

I was silent for a moment, feeling awkward at this news. “Sorry, May, I guess I did go a little overboard that time. But you know, it happens. I’ve already lost a couple of Pokémon, but you just have to keep going.” The Pokémon I referred to were Nosuke the Nincada and Amadeus the Whismur, both of whom had gotten killed by critical hits within mere minutes of starting their training. Nosuke’s death had especially bothered me at the time, but more from knowing he had potential than from actual mourning, as I had barely had time to bond with him. And while this might make me sound like a terrible person, I mostly missed Amadeus because I was so proud of his nickname.

May frowned at me. “Getting your Pokémon killed is not something that ‘just happens.’ It’s horrible! I still don’t get why you’re taking that stupid challenge.”

“C’mon, May, I explained it already! This challenge is the fastest way to get stronger. No holds barred, and letting luck decide what Pokémon you get! I’m on the fast track to being the Champion already!”

She was silent, looking at my face as if searching for something. After a while, she reached into her bag and pulled out a Great Ball, which she handed to me. “I think you should take this,” she said. “It may seem weak and defenseless at first, but trust me. If you train him right, you won’t regret it. Maybe that will teach you something.”

I rolled my eyes and tried to hand it back to her. “Thanks, but I’ve already caught a Minun on this Route, so I can’t accept this. Besides, I don’t have time to baby something weak.”

She pushed my hands back and glared at me. “Screw your stupid rules and take him! If it makes you feel better, just pretend I gave him to you in a town or something where you hadn’t caught anything yet! And if you don’t take care of him, I’m never battling you again. That’s a promise!”

“Jeez, fine! I’ll train the dang thing!” I agreed, trying to get her off my back.

“Good! Alright, I’ve got to go. I heard Team Magma is up to something in the North, and if I don’t take care of them, who will? See ya later, Scipio!” She waved and headed off towards Mauville City, and I waved back until she was out of sight. Those Teams Aqua and Magma seemed to be all she ever talked about since she had set out. I didn’t know much about them, but May was completely determined to take them out whenever they showed up. If you asked me, she put so much energy into combating them that she barely had time to train, which only made our matches easier for me.

I looked down at the Great Ball in my hands and pushed the button to open it, curious about what she had given me. The ball opened and released a red fish Pokémon, which flopped around on the ground, gasping for breath. I watched it flail around uselessly for a bit and then slapped my palm against my face, returning the creature out of pity. “I can’t believe I agreed to train this thing… I bet May was just messing with me,” I complained. Nonetheless, I placed it at the head of the party so I could switch it out at the beginning of fights for some experience, after naming it Guppy out of spite. I shifted my backpack into a more comfortable position on my shoulders and walked down the Route after May, heading to the next city and to the next Gym.

Team:

Hezekiah (Combusken) – Bashful nature. Blaze.

Domithilde (Mightyena) – Quiet nature. Intimidate.

Lenny (Zigzagoon) – Serious nature. Pickup.

Silvia (Beautifly) – Modest nature. Swarm.

Toledo (Aron) – Naughty nature. Sturdy.

Guppy (Magikarp) – Sassy nature. Swift Swim.

Miles (Minun) – Hasty nature. Minus. In the PC box.

RIP:

Nosuke (Nincada): Lv 7-7.

Amadeus (Whismur): Lv 7-7.

--

June 21, 2011 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

"Your face is gay!" XD you perfectly captured the rivalry between two thirteen-year old trainers. even with the humor, the content was serious enough to remain interesting. can't wait to see what happens nextttttt

i also like Scipio's relatively carefree attitude toward the challenge transposed with May, who seems to be more down-to-earth. i also look forward to learning more about both their personalities.

--

The destructor has gone

June 22, 2011 at 1:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

He is surely a master of comebacks. Thanks, I'm glad to hear that! I was aiming to portray their rivalry as best I could in this chapter.

Scipio is at least partially based on a friend of mine that always manages to annoy the crap out of me, but at the same time is sort of like a little brother so I end up forgiving him by the end of the day. I think that's about the relationship May has with Scipio, along with trying to keep him grounded when he gets a big head. In his defense, he probably has no idea that he could possibly be annoying.

--

June 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i know this run isn't *technically* active, since it's already been completed, but you are writing this fresh and it's a mystery to the rest of us here as to what happens. so, i linked to this thread on the homepage! that way if you can't update for a few days and drop off the sidebar, people still have easy access to the thread.

--

The destructor has gone

June 23, 2011 at 12:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Awesome, thanks! I'll try to keep it interesting ^.^

--

June 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

“Nice one, Hezekiah,” I called as the Combusken Double Kicked another wild Poochyena into oblivion. “Are you learning anything yet, Guppy?” I asked the Magikarp I was holding in my arms. It turned its wide, unintelligent eyes from Hezekiah to me and made a few glubbing sounds. I finally lost my patience and returned the thing to its pokéball, and called for Hezekiah to follow as I headed back to Mauville. Considering I was about to face an Electric Gym, there wasn’t any point in training a water type anyway. “Alright, Hezekiah, we’ve spent the whole day training. Think you and the others are ready for Wattson?” In answer, the fire Pokémon threw some mock punches in the air, followed up by a Double Kick. “Good, then let’s go! I’m tired of waiting.”

“Did any of you get the memo that this is an ELECTRIC Gym?” I sarcastically asked the Bug Maniac as he returned his fainted Volbeat. “That usually implies using Electric types!” I flipped the last switch on the ground, disabling the electric field that had been blocking off Wattson. With the path finally clear, I made my way to the jolly old Gym Leader, who cracked a huge smile at my approach.

“Hey there, lad!” he greeted. “You wouldn’t happen to be Scipio, would you?”

“Yeah, that’s me! How’d you know?”

Wattson chuckled good-naturedly. “Brawly called in about you. Went on and on for half an hour about how you took him down with a Beautifly, of all things. Said you had just taken out Roxanne’s Gym, too! Tell me, how long have you been traveling?”

I made a rough estimate. “About two weeks, I guess.”

The Gym Leader whistled in appreciation. “That’s mighty impressive, Scipio, dear lad. It usually takes Trainers well over a month to reach my Gym.” His smile widened as he sent out his first Pokémon, a Voltorb. “I want to see if you really are as strong as your speed implies. Let’s get started!”

“Fine by me. Go, Toledo!” I sent out my Aron, and gave the command, “Brace yourself for an attack, and then retaliate with Headbutt!” Toledo marched forward and lowered his head, ready for the Voltorb’s attack. The Voltorb started rolling towards him, leading me to think that it was going for a Rollout, but as it got closer, it started glowing. I recognized the glow and with a bit of panic, yelled, “Aw, crap! Toledo, get out of there!” Before the Aron had a chance to move, the Voltorb self-destructed. I shielded my eyes from the intense light of the explosion, and when I looked back, I saw Toledo standing in the same spot, blinking from surprise and barely hurt. I sighed from relief, remembering his resistance to Normal type attacks.

Wattson didn’t seem too upset by the ineffectiveness of his attack. “Wahaha! That is one sturdy Pokémon, m’boy! Maybe I should have told my Voltorb not to lead off with Selfdestruct for once, but Arceus help me, I love watching challengers’ reactions to that move! Alright, time to get serious!” With that, he tossed out another pokéball, which opened to reveal a Magneton.

I suddenly remembered that Magneton had the Magnet Pull ability, meaning that my Aron was stuck in for this round. But then again, that didn’t have to be a bad thing. “Toledo, Mud-slap!”

“Magneton, Supersonic.”

Wattson’s Pokémon let out a piercing, metallic noise, and Toledo went cross-eyed in response. He took a couple of stumbling steps, shook his head as if trying to clear his thoughts, and then thankfully seemed to remember what he needed to do. He slapped mud against the Magneton, exploiting its weakness to Ground moves and lowering its accuracy. Toledo managed to win the battle with a couple more Mud-slaps, after taking a hit from a Sonicboom and a Thunder Wave.

Wattson still seemed unconcerned as he swapped out his fainted Magneton for an Electrike. With the Magnet Pull ability gone, I decided it was time to give the paralyzed Toledo a rest and switched him out with Domithilde, who growled fiercely on being released, lowering her opponent’s attack. Domithilde won with a couple of savage Bites, but took several Shock Wave attacks and was severely worn out by the end.

“Nice job, Dom,” I called as I withdrew her. Even now that he was down to his last Pokémon, Wattson still had a huge grin on his face.

“Nice job, kid. I haven’t knocked out a single one of your Pokémon yet! But that’s going to change here; my last Pokémon is my strongest!” With that, he sent out his last Pokémon, a Manectric.

I thought for a moment, and then sent out my Minun. He sparked eagerly and was about to dash forwards, but I caught him by the ear and whispered my game plan to him. “Okay, Miles, here’s the deal. No offense, but you haven’t been trained enough to win this one yet. I’m going to let Hezekiah take this one, but I want Toledo to be ready on standby to switch in if needed. It’s going to take me a while to heal him, so I just need you to keep that Manetric busy. Can I count on you?” Miles stood at attention and gave me a salute, electricity sparking from the pouches on his cheeks. “Good,” I said, patting his back. “Watch yourself out there,” I called as he charged towards the Manectric. While the two Electric Pokémon faced off, I released Toledo and fished around in my backpack for a Paralyze Heal and a Super Potion. “I really should keep my stuff organized,” I complained as I shifted through all of the random crap I had picked up along my journey. I finally found a Paralyze Heal and pulled it out at the same time I heard a squeal from the battlefield. I turned to see Miles on the ground, trying to recover from a Quick Attack that had done more damage than I would have expected. I quickly applied the Heal and started searching frantically for a Super Potion, realizing that Miles wouldn’t last for as long as I would have hoped. At last, I found it and used it as well as Miles was hit by another Quick Attack that sent him skidding across the floor. “That Manectric is fast,” I noted, and then called, “Miles, I need that thing to lose its speed! Hit it with a Thunder Wave!” The Minun got shakily to its feet and sent a jolt of electricity through the Manectric, causing it to falter for a moment. But it recovered almost instantly and charged once again at Miles, slamming him with a Quick Attack that had to be a critical hit. The blow sent Miles soaring through the air and crashing against the Gym wall, where he slumped down and was still.

“Miles, are you alright? You did great! You can return now!” The Minun made no response. “Miles…?” I approached him slowly, hoping for him to bounce up like before, but knowing he wouldn’t. I picked up his small, broken body and held it in my arms. “I’m sorry, little guy… We’ll win this one for you, I promise!”

“Of course… I should have figured it out,” I heard Wattson say, and turned to him to see his smile had finally disappeared. “You’re taking that challenge, aren’t you? The one where you let your Pokémon battle to the death. That’s how you’ve gotten this strong so quickly.” I said nothing, but my silence gave him his answer. He glanced from the body in my arms to his Manectric and sighed in resignation. “I really don’t like battling your kind, but I’m obligated to finish this and give it my best as a Gym Leader. I hope you understand.”

I nodded, shifting Miles to one arm so I could use my free hand to send out Hezekiah. “I wouldn’t expect it any other way,” I answered simply, and the match continued. With the Manetric’s lowered speed, Hezekiah was able to get in several Double Kicks before taking too much damage himself. Still, I was feeling cautious now, and switched him out before he could get too hurt. I was lucky enough to send out Toledo when the Manetric tried using Quick Attack, and the Aron quickly won after that.

“Good battle, lad,” Wattson congratulated as he returned his Manetric. “Though I have to say, it’s a shame to see a kid with such potential going down such a dangerous path. You’re more self-destructive than my Voltorb!” He chuckled weakly at his own joke, but became serious again when he saw my expression. “I am sorry about your Miles, though. Let me know if there’s anything I can do for you.”

“There is one thing, actually… I’m asking this of every Gym Leader.”

“What’s that, lad?”

“…Don’t tell my dad I’m doing this. He’s the Gym Leader in Petalburg.”

Wattson’s face lit up with surprise. “You’re Norman’s kid? Scipio, you need to tell him, then! What if he ends up accidently killing one of your Pokémon when you face him?”

“That won’t happen!” I yelled defensively, ignoring his glance at the body in my arms. “Look, I just don’t want him going easy on me, and he would if he knew I was taking this challenge.” That was part of my reason, at least. I wasn’t sure if Dad would approve of me doing this, and I didn’t want to deal with him trying to stop me.

He didn’t look happy about my request, but finally said, “Alright, kid. I can respect that, even if I still think he should know. But I know it’s not my place to get involved here.” I received my badge and my TM, and as I headed out of the Gym, I heard Wattson calling after me, “And good luck, lad! You’re going to need it.”

Team:

Hezekiah (Combusken)

Domithilde (Mightyena)

Toledo (Aron)

Silvia (Beautifly)

Lenny (Linoone)

Guppy (Magikarp)

RIP:

Miles (Minun): Lv 13 - 19

--

June 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

noooo Miles ='(

it sucks to get such a rare pull in a nuzlocke and then lose it like that. still, i was excited to read a battle scene written by you and it turned out every bit as good as i thought it would.

out of curiosity, what were your rules regarding items in this run? allowing all you pick up, i assume? that seems to be pretty standard these days.

--

The destructor has gone

June 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I know D':  I was really hoping to see a Minun prove itself, too, since I've never put much stock in them. I was pretty annoyed at myself in getting it killed in such a cheap way.

Really? I didn't feel too good about this battle description, so I'm glad to hear that!

Yeah, I mostly did this to try a Nuzlocke, and I was pretty sure that I was going to get everything killed, so I didn't want to deal with any extra restrictions. I'm not proud to admit that I spammed item usage. This only has the original two rules, faint = dead and only catching the first encounter.

--

June 23, 2011 at 5:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

lessee... i think i used a Plusle in my initial run of Emerald, but he was quickly replaced by a Magneton. or was it a Raichu... at any rate, i sucked at Pokemon back then anyway, so it's safe to say i've never given Plusle or Minun a fair chance either.

i think after my nuzlocke i'll go back and do a casual run of this game again, and do all that cool stuff i never did, like raising a Mence in-game.

--

The destructor has gone

June 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments