Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Original Writings > Adventures of PR's Members

Mitsuo-Dexl

Well, this post was going to be my story.  But for whatever reason when I hit backspace my computer also clicked out of the text editor so I actually backed up several pages and lost what I wrote.  I don't feel like retyping it right now.

Sometimes I hate my computer

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

June 29, 2011 at 8:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

you can paste into this, you know... you just have to highlight preexisting text first. like:

type: ipvbwpgvbwp

then highlight "ipvbwpgvbwp" and right click it and paste your story on top of it. it works for me anyway, but i'm using a Mac so i can't be *sure* it's not just me.

--

The destructor has gone

June 29, 2011 at 8:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

That's how I do it.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

June 29, 2011 at 9:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Nice ending, CJ. I think we were all pretty epic there! The tetris music was a nice touch, too ^^

Sorry about your computer being a douche, Mitsuo. That kind of sucks.

I'm just about finished with my chapter, so I should have it up not too much later tonight. It turned out longer than I was expecting, so sorry about that ^^;

--

June 30, 2011 at 12:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I was typing it into the text editor for PR, not an outside program.  Plus I didn't have it copied before hand.

--

June 30, 2011 at 1:14 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I pushed myself off the ground, groaning slightly as I thought, great, we must have warped again. Where are we now?

From somewhere, an old radio was playing an old song, static making it hard to hear the music well. I listened to the song for a moment:

Somewhere, beyond the sea,

Somewhere, waiting for me...

I tuned out the music and instead examined my surroundings. I could tell I was in a long, dimly lit hallway, and the walls were made of windows that allowed a view of the city outside. It was dark out, but all of the signs were made with bright, neon lights. I kept looking around out the window, seeing a huge poster advertising fine arts, a lit up sign of  a lounge with a decorative martini made in neon lights under it, a giant squid, an advertisment for something called a Gene Tonic, a...

Wait... A giant squid? I did a double take, and sure enough, there was a giant squid, apparently swimming through the air above the city. It darted past the biggest of all the signs, which was erected standing above the buildings, reading “Welcome to Rapture”.

“Oh, no...” I whispered as realization struck me, but my voice came out strange, incredibly deep and hollow.

“Hey, we’ve got a Big Daddy over here!” a voice yelled, and I turned to see Nick holding a wrench and staring at me. “We must be in BioShock now. A wrench isn’t going to do much against it, what do you guys have?”

“How about this?” Diddy asked with a huge grin, hefting a Chemical Thrower.

“Hold up,” Del advised, walking up to the other two. “It doesn’t have a Little Sister with it. There’s no point in fighting it.” The shotgun he had been holding disappeared and instead he held up his arm, holding a green ball that emitted odd metallic sounds. “I’ve got the Hypnotize Big Daddy plasmid, how about we make use of the big guy?”

“Sounds good,” CJ agreed as he appeared as well. “But if we ever do need to take one down, I’m all over it,” he added, as a Grenade Launcher appeared in his arms.

By this point, I was looking frantically around for the Big Daddy, but I didn’t see it. I turned back to the guys in time to see the green ball Del had been holding was now hurtling towards me. Panicked, I managed to leap to the side in time to avoid it, and my feet hit the ground with a surprisingly loud bang.

“What the heck do you think you’re doing?” I yelled, and again my voice sounded oddly deep. With a sudden suspicion, I held up my hands, and my stomach sank when I saw that my left hand was heavily protected while my right arm ended in a giant drill.

“Wait a minute... since when do Big Daddies talk?” Del asked, injecting himself with more EVE in case he needed to use another plasmid.

CJ started laughing. “Oh my god, is that you, Tamoria? You’re a Big Daddy? How does that even make sense?”

“It kind of makes sense,” I said defensively, trying to ignore how strange my voice sounded. “The only reason I played BioShock was because I wanted to save all the Little Sisters!”

Diddy started laughing as well. “Man, this is going to be great! Loads better than the last world, by far!”

I frowned, even though no one could see my face through my helmet. “Hey, I liked the last place! What was wrong with the Animal Crossing level?”

“It was alright for the first ten minutes, but we were stuck there for two years trying to pay off that greedy raccoon!” he retorted, but then admitted, “I did like having a shark for a pet, though.”

“It would have been better if you would have stopped running through my flowers and destroying them,” I accused. “Do you know how long it took me to make those gold roses?”

“Give me a break, you had planted flowers EVERYWHERE. How was I supposed to...”

Our argument was interrupted by the sound of metal dragging across the ground, and someone talking to themselves up ahead. “I used to be pretty,” a female voice whined from further down the hallway. “Now look at me! LOOK AT ME!”

Nick walked forwards, his wrench disappearing as electricity danced through his fingers. “Let’s get this started,” he said calmly, waiting for the enemy to make it around the bend in the hallway and come to us.

Before long, the Splicer appeared, wearing a masquerade bunny mask and dragging a lead pipe across the floor. She saw us and took a mad charge, waving her pipe in the air and screaming, “It’s your fault! YOUR FAULT!”

Nick stepped forward, waited for the last possible moment before she reached him, and then zapped her with an Electro Bolt. She convulsed with the electricity surging painfully through her, and before she had time to recover, he finished her off with the wrench, the classic “zap them and whack them!” technique. She crumpled to the floor and her mask fell away from her, revealing her hideously scarred face.

“Alright,” CJ said, walking past the dead Splicer. “Let’s go, and quietly. If we can sneak up on these guys, we shouldn’t have any trouble getting through this level.”

We all moved to follow, but sounds like thunder followed us. Everyone turned to look at me, and I realized the noise was coming from my heavy footsteps. “”Er, sorry...” I said sheepishly, and tried to move one foot as slowly as I could and place it down gently. That didn’t make too much noise, but it would be impractical to keep moving like that.

“This doesn’t have to be a problem, actually,” Nick said. “Splicers shouldn’t give a Big Daddy a second thought, so Tam, you should probably be in the front. Besides which, you can only do melee damage right now, so there’s no point in you hanging in the back.”

“Oh, okay then,” I agreed, and led off through the hallway, hoping that by moving quickly it would be hard for anyone to tell how nervous I was. I didn’t want to admit it, but this game had always freaked me out.

As we approached the end of the hallway, we could hear several loud but distant voices. A door came into view at the same time that gunshots and explosions rung out, as well as the unmistakable enraged groaning noises of a Big Daddy.

This was met with sounds of reloading behind me, as everyone readied their weapons. I stepped forward to the door with my heart racing, but before I made it there, an explosion threw the door open and launched something big through it. The burning thing landed at my feet and trashed for a moment before going still as the flames consumed it, and I felt my courage disappearing when I recognized it as a now-dead Big Daddy.

“Uh, I’m not liking this...” I tried to say quietly, but with my low voice, the words came out garbled. The flames in the doorway died down quickly, and the others didn’t hesitate to jump through it into the fray. I took a deep breath and followed. The room was huge and had pipes running through it in several directions. There were two levels, a platform that the door we had just gone through opened to, and a larger floor beneath it that we could reach by taking the stairs on either side of the platform. The majority of Splicers were done there, mostly wielding either basic guns or melee weapons, but one was waiting just outside the door. And this one, of all the rotten luck, was a Nitro Splicer, carrying a box of explosives. He smiled as he looked at our bunched-up team, tossed a grenade at us, and yelled, “Say cheese!”

CJ held up his hands, and the grenade’s path was suddenly halted. “Guess which plasmid I have?” he said with a grin, as he used Telekinesis to toss the grenade right back.

The dumbfounded Nitro Splicer watched the grenade’s approach, making no attempt to flee, and was instantly killed when it exploded in his face and sent his body hurtling to the floor below. The commotion brought attention to us, and we were suddenly assaulted by a flurry of shots.

“Firaga!” Diddy yelled as he snapped his fingers, causing one of the Splicers below to combust into flames.

“Dude, we’re not in Final Fantasy anymore. It’s called Incinerate,” CJ corrected him, switching out his Grenade Launcher with a pistol and taking out the burning Splicer.

“Whatever,” Diddy responded, switching out to his crossbow and sniping out an enemy that had tried to take cover behind some crates to reload.

Nick took his place standing guard at the top of one of the stairs, zapping and whacking anyone that approached, and switching to his machine gun to take them out when he had pushed them back enough.

Del stood at the other staircase as other Splicers with bludgeoning weapons tried to come up that way. He hit several of them with a single shotgun shot, and after unloading several more, the stairs were littered with corpses. “Who needs accuracy when you have a shotgun?” he asked, smirking.

Through the fighting, I noticed something in the far corner of the room. Crouched down with her back against the wall was a little girl with glowing red eyes, cowering and crying out for Mr. Bubbles to save her as a Spider Splicer stalked closer to her, licking his sharpened hooks in anticipation.

My vision went red as I took in the sight and I let out a yell, which came out as the notorious loud groan of a Big Daddy. I charged past the others and leapt off the platform, vaguely aware of Nick calling, “Holy shit!” as I did, apparently too surprised to pull off his Ellis impression. I flew through the air and managed to land on a Splicer, who let out an anguished cry as he was crushed. I ignored the fact that the remaining Splicers were now aiming at me, barely noticing my depleting health bar as I dashed at the Spider Splicer with speed that should have been impossible from something my size. The Splicer was right above the Little Sister when I reached him, raising his hook above his head in preparation for a blow.

The drill on my right arm turned on, and I let out another holler as I thrust my arm forward, driving the drill through the Spider Splicer and demolishing part of the wall behind him. It should have been enough to kill him instantly, but as was often the case in this violent game, he was kept alive long enough to let off an inhuman scream as his body convulsed from the spinning drill tearing through him.

“DON’T YOU DARE TOUCH HER!” I roared, flinging my right arm and sending his dead body launching across the room, leaving a gruesome trail of blood from my drill to his final landing spot.

Another Splicer jumped at me with a crazed yell, hoisting a wrench above his head, but there was suddenly the sound of a crossbow going off, and by the time he landed on me, he was already dead as well.

“Nice shot, Diddy!” Del exclaimed, giving him a high-five.

With a smirk, Diddy replied, “It’s what I do, man.”

I realized there were no more enemies standing in this room, as they had all been picked off from the shots above. The red from my vision faded away as the others made their way down to loot the bodies.

“Hey!” CJ called, “I found a safe in this corner! Who’s good at hacking?”

“Let me give it a try,” Del said, kneeling down at the safe.

Nick approached me, stepping unceremoniously through the bodies. “Hey, are you alright?” he asked.

I averted my gaze from my drill. “I’m fine. I kind of adopted a policy to get myself through this game when I first played it: the only thing worth saving down here is ourselves and Little Sisters.”

“Hmm... well, that’s good to hear, but I meant your health. You were eating bullets there for a while.”

“Oh, uh, right.” I suddenly took notice of two bars hanging in the top left of my vision. The top one was red for health and the bottom one would be blue for EVE, but that one was empty, which was just as well since I probably couldn’t use a plasmid like this. “I’m at about half health. I guess charging in like that wasn’t a good idea, but...” I turned to look for the Little Sister I had saved, and saw her already busily harvesting ADAM from the nearest dead body. It was a disconcerting sight, but I was overall relieved that she was alright.

Nick followed my gaze. “We should take care of her now so we have ADAM if we run into a Gatherer’s Garden.”

I walked over to her, and she looked up at the sound of my loud footsteps. She smiled brightly up at me and I hoisted her up to let her sit on my shoulder.

“Actually, Nick, can we wait until we find a tunnel for her to crawl through? I don’t want her running around unprotected...”

He gave me an odd look, but shrugged and nodded.

Del came up to us then, arms full of health kits. “Hey, guess what? It turns out I’m pretty good at hacking! These were in the safe, along with a ton of money.” He handed them out, and I decided to save mine rather than heal now in case we found some food I could use to recover.

All of the bodies had been searched through, gaining us some ammo and money, so it was time to move on. I took the rear this time to protect our backs, while CJ led with his pistol at the ready. The Little Sister swung her feet as she sat on my shoulder and hummed happily. “Let’s go find some more angels, Mr. Bubbles!” she exclaimed, giggling. I sighed at the thought. If we were going to get through here, we were going to make a lot of angels in the process.

--

June 30, 2011 at 1:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i KNEW you were gonna do BioShock, Tam! i just had a feeling.

i love this game with a fiery passion and it means a lot when i say you did it full justice here. you captured the details masterfully, as you tend to do, and for someone who doesn't know anyone here, you captured us too. i am TOTALLY the "zap 'em and whack 'em" guy. you got Del's inaccuracy, Diddy's affinity for being a mage, OF COURSE CJ would have Telekinesis, and making yourself a Big Daddy was an unexpected plot twist right from the beginning, yet it so fits you too!

one last thing, the Animal Crossing references were GOLDEN. i lol'd throughout. yet when it needed to get serious, it got serious and it was just as believable as the humor was funny.

i am going to have to step it up to reach the bar you've just raised for this project. awesome work.

--

The destructor has gone

June 30, 2011 at 1:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

The funniest thing about the Animal Crossing reference was that I spoke to CJ about writing a Animal Crossing chapter, and having us trapped there for a long time trying to pay off the 'coon.  You must have telepathy.

As for your chapter, your choices for me were perfect.  When I played BioShock the shotgun was my best friend and befriended Big Daddies my closest lovers.  But I ate those damn little girls up like chocolate.  Yum, ADAM.

--

June 30, 2011 at 2:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

inb4 ridicule, but i have never once harvested a Little Sister, in either game.

--

The destructor has gone

June 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Wow this was so good it almost made me want to play Bioshock again!

Weird how you had me using the Pistol and Telekinesis. Not to sound like a broken record but, that was totally how I ran through the game!

Your refrence to the Animal Crossing thing (along with my recent dive back into the game) makes me more convinced that it should be written. That was hilarious! I hate Nook, that Evil Crime Boss. >o( 

--

Ask me about my waifus

June 30, 2011 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Thanks! I absolutely love BioShock for the setting and atmosphere, so I wanted to do it justice. I actually went through a couple of other threads to guess what everyone would be, and I remembered you mentioning the wrench once. Other than that, I worked based off of details from other stories. That one level where you have to be in a Big Daddy suit was the only level I actually kicked ass in, so that's my reasoning behind making myself one. I really do go crazy trying to protect Little Sisters ^^;

Yesh, Animal Crossing. I love that game, and I thought it would be a funny contrast with BioShock XP

You know what's really ironic about that? I was actually going to reference a Tetris level, but then CJ beat me to it. And with Nick guessing what I was going to do, I guess we've just all developed telepathy at this point XD

Awesome, glad to hear that! But man, I had the two of you mixed up for who would harvest or save the Little Sisters.

Edit: CJ how did you post right when I was writing this? TELEPATHY I AM TELLING YOU. Haha, I'm glad I got everyone right! And YES, please someone do Animal Crossing! That would be awesome!

Thanks for the great comments, everyone! ^^

--

June 30, 2011 at 11:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i guess i do see where you would have thought that, about the Sisters... for me though, harvesting them is just a morally wrong choice. i don't believe in doing that for no reward other than personal gain. i can take a life and gain a luxurious amount of ADAM, or i can save that life and still get what i need to survive. maybe if i didn't know they could be cured, or if harvesting them somehow saved someone i care about, but i couldn't do it for those motivations, or even if it really meant saving myself. i'm a hardass, yes, but i'm not that selfish.

--

The destructor has gone

June 30, 2011 at 12:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I feel a need to defend my choice to harvest them (I never played BioShock 2, just so you guys know, and I don't think I plan to, as much fun as the first one was).

To me, BioShock is a kill or be killed world.  So I felt the need to kill the Sisters to get that added boost, just so I would have less of a chance of being killed myself.  For whatever reason, BioShock awoke that survival instinct in me, the instinct that is inately selfish and cares only for living.  The Sisters were my way of living, and I knew had I not managed to kill their Big Daddy, they would have happily moved on sucking the ADAM from my wrecked body.  KNowing they cared nothing for me made the choice easier, since I could equally care nothing for them in return.  This lack of care for each other, even when they were seperated from their Bid Daddy, made them seem like nothing but little vials of my own chances of survival.

I should also say that from the beginning, before I was immersed into BioShock, I intended to kill them, to see if its as gruesome or as morally troubling as a lot of people say.  For this reason (and the reason above, after becoming immersed and finding the first Little Sister) I was wholely disappointed; killing the Little Sister did not make me feel bad in the slightest.  Maybe if they had made me watch ripping the little worm thing out of her, while she screamed in a mixture of fear and terror would have made me reconsider harvesting another, but thats not what happened:  the screen goes green, you hear her scream at you, then when you can see again you are holding up a little worm, the Little Sister no where to be seen.  This is troubling at all.  For all I know, the Little Sister could still be prancing around, now much happier that I took out the worm thing.

Btw, during typing this up, I accidently typed Big Diddy.  The jokes that would ensue if Diddy had been the Big Daddy would be hilarious.  And please note, I am just stating my views on the harvesting of the Little Sisters.  I guess I was just missing something when I say it never bothered me morally.  Dragon Age's choices had more moral weight to me then BioShock's harvest or save choice.

--

June 30, 2011 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I get what you're saying, BioShock just has a way of appealing to a person's survival instincts. I had the exact same feeling when I played the game, but still, I guess I felt like there was no point in surviving if it meant I had to kill the Sisters. It really is crazy how that game draws you in, though. You know that one scene where you beat Andrew Ryan to death with a golf club? I literally pulled my arms away from the computer and I couldn't understand why that didn't make it stop.

After you said that, I had to look at a video of a harvest. I have to agree, that was surprising undramatic (not sure if that's a word, but I'm using it). I can see why that wouldn't really affect someone.

I actually did that same typo a couple of times XD

I just want you all to know, after talking about Animal Crossing, I started playing my copy for the first time in well over a year today. After the whole, "Wow, it's been a long time" spiel by the first town person I talked to, the next thing they said to me was, "I wanna try a wild hairstyle like yours, for p0rn!" XD  Oh gosh, the things I make these people say...

--

June 30, 2011 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Shesh Tamoria! And my Sister says I am bad to my Neighbhors when I make them make pop-culture refrences.

--

Ask me about my waifus

June 30, 2011 at 10:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

everyone who's played Animal Crossing needs to see this now.

--

The destructor has gone

June 30, 2011 at 10:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I lol'd

--

June 30, 2011 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

This is all so f'in epic. No joke. I love how everyone has captured each other perfectly. And.. *tear* Thank you all so much for knowing how much I love mages! I love being a reaccuring joke ;D

Now.. to make a story like these. *shudder* I'm not even sure I know how to write anymore. I've been out of school for so long...

--

June 30, 2011 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Typing words into PR's little white box is all it takes, Diddy.  Haha

--

June 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

psh, you've still got it. i really can't wait to see what your take is with all of us in a Zelda world... been looking forward to that since this project's inception.

--

The destructor has gone

June 30, 2011 at 11:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments