Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Green Lanterns

Mitsuo-Dexl

So, I've developed some sort of obsession with the Green Lanterns.  Not only are they my favorite color (and shade, no less) they have some pretty awesome powers.

But as I read about them, I became more interested in the lore and the universe then I did the Lanterns themselves.  If you guys are DC buffs, you are might already know this, but the Green Lanterns aren't the only Lanterns around, there are 6 more Lanterns (each based off a color of the rainbow, and an emotion).

They are Red (rage, original, no?), Orange (avarice), Yellow (fear),Green (willpower), Blue (hope), Indigo (compassion) and Violet (love).  Red and Violet are the most powerful colors, as the emotions they embody are the most powerful (seriously, rage and love can make you do things you normally wouldn't, even if one is more positive then the other), and Indigo is very rare (due the decrease in compassion in our society).  Blue requires Green to be effective (think about it, hope is nothing without the will to do something with it), and Yellow and Green are opposites (it doesn't matter how scared you are, with the right amount of will, you can overcome it).

Why do/should you care?  Well, it just got me wondering:  what color (thus emotion) do you think you would be the most likely chosen to represent?  I'm having a hard time deciding myself, but I think Yellow for me.  I would much rather Green, but I'm not that willful.  What about you guys?

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

May 31, 2011 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

the first thing i thought of when i saw this was thinking about it in the context of the characters i write; i'm not so good at applying such labels to actual people, as their personalities are too complex for me to ever understand (including my own far too often), but i realize that may just be me.

Hideki is Green for sure, as Harmony is Indigo.

looking at myself, i'd probably have to go Green as well, although IRL i never do seem to act on that will as much as i think i should for whatever reason. i still think that if there was ever something i absolutely had to get done, i'd do it or die trying and do anything to get to one of those two points, and probably not care which.

that's why i disagree with the notion that Green needs Blue. i place a lot more stock in the principle of the matter. i could absolutely give my life to make a statement. i suppose ultimately i have hope that my statement sets an example for others to accomplish the goal ahead of me, but i don't have to have that personally to give my all.

EDIT: crap, you actually said Blue needs Green, my bad. yeah i agree with that. you can spend your whole life wanting something and it'll never mean a thing if you don't ever act on that desire.

--

The destructor has gone

May 31, 2011 at 11:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

You explained why you believe you are Green, and I didn't explian why I took Yellow:  I'm not saying I'm a coward (I haven't been in a situation to test this) but fear of not succeeding, fear of upsetting other people, fear of negative reprecussions definately effect what i choose to do and what I choose to avoid.

Very interesting indeed to think about.

--

May 31, 2011 at 11:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

very. excellent topic, Mitsuo. i hope the others find this and post, i'd be curious to see their picks.

--

The destructor has gone

June 1, 2011 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't even think it is a valid question. 
The Emotions like Fear, Rage, and Hope are just as dependant on a person's situation as it is their core self. 
If you have been in a unstable position for a long time so that you fear coninuously things like failure, debt, ect. Who is to say that is still a core part of your personailty?
I feel you can say the same for each of the above mentioned emotions. I can be a little more understanding of Avarice, compassion, and love, but even those I could make an arguement for.

That isn't to say that there aren't people who's defining characteristics are Rage, I just wonder how much of it is situational and not part of the core personaility.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

June 1, 2011 at 10:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I'll be perfectly honest, your reply irritated the hell out of me, CJ.  It was just a simple question, and I could not fathom why you choose to answer it that way rather then answer the question normally or ignore it all together.  In the end, though, I guess I stopped letting it bother me, mainly so I can say this without causing a big to-do about it.

I see where you are coming from, I do, but everything you just said could be applied to any question that is along the same vein as mine.  My one example is the question "what is your greatest fear", which faces the same problem mine does.  Who is to say my fear of bugs defines me as a person, but is rather a outcome due to a situation I was in?  Who is to say a person's fear of being alone is a personality quirk, or rather a product of being in a situation where they were alone for long periods of time?

However, I feel had I asked what is your greatest fear, you would have answered without a second thought, rather then argue the validity of the question.

Anyway, whats done is done, and nothing can be changed.  Expect a Wardens Six update today!

--

June 1, 2011 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I wasn't trying to upset anyone. o/

I just was having trouble giving you an answer because of the added complexity I explained above. 
I guess a better way to say it is; I can't think of an aswer to give you because I cannot tell what personality qualities are really mine as opposed to those based off my environment.
Looking back, I should have just kept quiet anyway. I'm sorry. 

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

June 1, 2011 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Oh, man, no need to apologize, its cool.

I wish I could come up wiht something else to say then that, but I can't, so much to my dismay, thats it.  ^.^

--

June 1, 2011 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments