Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > The Mitsuo Nuzlocke

Mitsuo-Dexl

Here it is...I'm finally decided to doom myself.  I'm doing a Nuzlocke of Heartgold.

Here are my rules, which are slightly different from the normal Nuzlocke...so read closely.

1.  Any Pokemon that faint in battle is dead, and cannot fight in any future battles.  I will release that Pokemon as soon as I am able.  Also, Pokemon will be nicknamed so as to help foster a kinship to them.  Hopefully I can avoid spinning myself in a large bout of depression as I watch any of them die.

2.  Unlike most Nuzlockes, I cannot catch any single Pokemon.  Instead, as soon as I am able in Cherrygrove, I will be traded 5 sav'd Pokemon from CJ, that will be level 5 and in their youngest forms.  These will be the only 6 Pokemon I'm allowed to use in my run. 

My run will not start until I get my team, which will be in Cherrygrove.  I believe I have to wait until I complete the run to Mr. Pokemon's house first, so my run will start after that.  I will only allow my starter (which is one of the 6 I can use) to gain 3 levels, meaning at most he'll be level 8.  I will not grind him, however. 

Also, the two Pokemon that are given to you (Eevee and Togepi) are also usable, but only as back-ups in one of the main 6 Pokemon die.  When I beat the Johto E4, I will gain 6 new Pokemon to use as support for what remains of the original 6, and they will be considered main Pokemon, and will replace any back-ups I may have in my party.  This means I have a total of 12 Pokemon to pick from in my match against Red, assuming no deaths...which isn't happening.

The team I will be receiving from CJ is a Lvl 5 Misdreavus, a Lvl 5 Skarmory, a Lvl 5 Chinchou, a Lvl 5 Vulpix, and a Lvl 5 Swinub.  I will start with a Totodile.  I believe all of these are obtainable through a normal playthrough of HG, so I feel okay in using these Pokemon.

3.  Item use is okay, I think, due to the nature of this run.  However, I will limit it to items that I find, or are given to me.  Absolutely no item purchase.  (Okay, I might purchase Pokeballs too just to make me feel better, but I will not use them.)  This way, I am tempted to explore more....but have to be careful since I could lose a Poke to anything, and I don't have a lot of back-ups available.

4.  Grinding will be kept to a minimum.  At most, I will grind until all of my Pokes are equal in level to the lowest level of the Gym I am about to face.

5.  The story will be presented in journal form. through the thoughts of Mitsuo.  His Nuzlocke challenge isn't necessarily his own idea...but I'm sure you'll see.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

May 23, 2011 at 1:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

((There have been a change to the rules.  Now I am just doing a normal Nuzlocke, one Poke per area.))

May 23, 2011

Here I go!  Today is the day I start my Challenge.  I'm challenging the Johto region, rather then my home region of Unova though.  I wanted to get around, and explore.  Besides, I didn't wanna take away from my older brother Agnores' non-Challenge run of the Unova gyms. 

I arrived at New Bark Town, stopping only once at a Pokegear store to pick up my Pokegear I had ordered before flying over here.  After that, I rushed to Professor Elm's lab, eager to start my adventure.  Professor Elm was friendly enough, handing me my newly printed Trainer's card, and offering me a choice of three Pokemon to start my adventure with:  Cyndaquil, Chikorita, and Totodile.  I choose Totodile, naming it Perion.

Professor Elm told me that as a test to see if I truly qualified for the Challenge, I had to travel to Mr. Pokemon's House at the end of Route 30, and bring back to Elm an Egg that Mr. Pokemon had waiting.  I eagerly accepted this challenge, ready to prove I am Challenge material.

When I left the lab, I met this girl named Lyra.  She had her Marill out following her around, and she suggested I do the same, as it helps build bonds with your Pokemon.  So I released Perion, who seemed much happier to be out of his Pokeball.  Lyra walked with me down Route 29, explaining to me all the important things I needed to know about Johto, after she guessed that I wasn't native.

When we got to Cherrygrove, the city at the other end of Route 29, she gave me a hug and her number for my Pokegear, then left down Route 30, heading for Violet City.  I made a stop at the Pokemon Center to set up my room for the night, and as I left, I was literally dragged around all of Cherrygrove by an overly pushy old man.  It wasn't all bad, though.  He gave me a new pair of Running Shoes (since mine were falling apart) and a Region Map app for my Pokegear.  Thanking him, I finally made my way down Route 30 to Mr. Pokemon's House.

I avoided any Trainers I saw as Perion and I made our way down the route.  Instead, I had Perion fight many wild Hoothoots, Spinaraks, and Rattatas, trying to get a feel for how Perion fought.  We never stayed and did any hardcore training, but it was just light little bouts as we made our way to Mr. Pokemon's house.

Mr. Pokemon himself was really nice.  He gave me the Egg, which was giant and colored funny, and while I was there i got to meet the greatest professor of all time, Professor Oak.  Professor Oak gave me a Pokedex app for my Pokegear when he found out I was taking the Challenge, along with an app that allowed me to see the health, level, and abilities of my Pokemon, along with their stats.  This app allowed me to also see the health and level of opposing Pokemon.  I coulnd't thank him enough.

After that, me and Perion kept up with our light training as we made our way back to Cherrygrove.  Along the way, I got a disturbing call from Professor Elm;  someone had broken into the lab and stolen a Pokemon.  That definately put a spring into my step as I rushed back to New Bark Town.

--

May 23, 2011 at 10:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Outside of Cherrygrove, on Route 29, I bumbed into a red-haired kid, who called me a wimp and said I didn't deserve my Pokemon or to take the Challenge.  We had  battle, and his Chikorita was vicious...every single one of its attacks were meant to kill.  However, it didn't take me long to realize exactly what a real Trainer battle was about, and I responded in kind,, Perion Scratching and Water Gun-ning his way to victory.  The Red Haired kid quickly returned his Chikorita before Perion could deal any lethal blow, and brushed passed, dropping his Trainer's Card.  I got a chance to look at the name, Asp, before he snatched it up and ran off.

Putting the battle with Asp out of my mind, I rushed back to New Bark Town.  When I got to the Professor's lab, a police officer was there, who accused me of being the thief.  However, Lyra showed back up, and her and Professor Elm helped convince the cop I didn't steal it.  I found out that a Chikorita had been stolen, and so I told the cop about Asp, who had a Chikorita.  He left, saying he'd put out a call to keep a look out for the red haired kid.

After having delivered the egg to Elm, and officially being welcomed into the Nuzlocke Gym Challenge, Lyra took me out to Route 29 and showed me how to catch Pokemon.  She explained she got a call from Elm about the break in and that was why she was back, and seeing as how I was a rookie Trainer, she felt the need to help me out too.  After she showed me how to catch Pokemon, she gave me five Pokeballs and left, presumably back to Violet City.

Using my newly learned skills, I caught a Hoothoot on Route 29 and named it Henesys.  She seemed to like her name, and as I did with Perion, I 'lightly trained' her as I searched for more catchable Pokemon under the Rules.  In a Route off to the side of Route 29, but not Route 29, I attempted to catch a Geodude, but Henesys and Perion were too eager to fight to allow that, and we accidentally killed it.  Not letting this dampen my spirits, I ran to Route 30 and caught a Spiniark, naming it Araki before finally stopping for the night in the Cherrygrove Pokemon Center.  Tomorrow I really start my big adventure, training and preparing my Pokemon for battle. 

SAVE LOCATION:  CHERRYGROVE

TEAM:

PERION (Totodile) LVL. 8

HENESYS (Hoothoot) LVL. 4

ARAKI (Spinarak) LVL. 2

--

May 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

what is your character's name? is it Mitsuo? if so, is it the same Mitsuo that rivaled Hideki in LeafGreen? if you wanna take that angle, there are plenty of interesting ways you could go as far as background to explain how he got from there to here.

--

The destructor has gone

May 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I had actually forgot Mitsuo had rivaled Hideki in Leafgreen.  I really want Mitsuo to be from Unova, though, so I have an idea, lets say this Johto run is right before HIdeki's Leafgreen go.  That way, when this Johto run turns into Kanto (seeing as how with one run of HG I consider myself having Nuzlocked both Johto and Kanto) I'll write in Hideki as my rival.  And I'll do that even if I fail the Johto run, it'll just be that Mitsuo heads to Kanto to try again or something.

Is this acceptable?

--

May 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

This is a pretty interesting Nuzlocke. I've never really seen this kind of spin taken on it so it will be very interesting to follow. I'm not trying to cause a problem or take anything from you but would this still be considered a 'Nuzlocke'? In all honesty, your version actually seems a little more difficult than the typical nuzlocke. It's kinda like you just made a new challenge entirely. Either way, I think it's awesome.

--

May 24, 2011 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Yeah, I'm not sure I made it clear, but I got ousted on my idea.  I had to run it as a normal Nuzlocke, but I figure I can do it again sometime later after this one is over.

--

May 24, 2011 at 7:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Mitsuo-Dexl at May 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I had actually forgot Mitsuo had rivaled Hideki in Leafgreen.  I really want Mitsuo to be from Unova, though, so I have an idea, lets say this Johto run is right before HIdeki's Leafgreen go.  That way, when this Johto run turns into Kanto (seeing as how with one run of HG I consider myself having Nuzlocked both Johto and Kanto) I'll write in Hideki as my rival.  And I'll do that even if I fail the Johto run, it'll just be that Mitsuo heads to Kanto to try again or something.

Is this acceptable?

that sounds like a good solution, but you don't *have* to make your story flow with my canon if you don't want to.

--

The destructor has gone

May 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Oh, I want to.  I like making sure things fit with a canon, rather its widely accepted or created by one other person.  Makes me feel like I'm helping with something bigger.

--

May 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

to be honest, i like it too. it's like we're all part of PR's very own world of pokemon, as stupid as that sounds. there's just no cooler way to say that, sadly.

--

The destructor has gone

May 24, 2011 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Yeah.  When I get to Kanto I'd have to ask how you portrayed Hideki then.

--

May 24, 2011 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

May 24th, 2011

I left the Cherrygrove Pokemon Center early in the morning.  Someone had told me that the best way to prevent death of your partners was building a bond, and the best way to build a bond with them was training.  So, with Perion's help, I took Henesys and Araki to Route 30 and trained them until I felt comfortable with their skill level and mine.

So I traveled north up Route 30.  I fought two Youngsters and two Bug Catchers, but they were easy.  I had to use up some of the Potions and the Antidote that had been given me, but I was okay with that.  I would rather have no items and living Pokemon then fail my challenge because I refused to use items when I needed them.

When Route 30 ran into Route 31, I stopped to check for a new Pokemon.  I was hoping for something awesome, like maybe a Gyarados...but of course I was dissapointed.  I found a Rattata, but I wasn't about to ignore any potential blessing.  I caught him and named him Atta Boy.

Right after that I came across Dark Cave, and I decided to see if I could find a Geodude to replace the one that I accidentally killed.  But no, no luck for me.  Instead, I happened across a Zubat.  So I caught it, unhappily, and named it Wrong, because it was the wrong Pokemon.  Who knows?   Wrong may be my star member.

When I was crossing into Violet City, I found Lyra.  She smiled at me as I approached, and held something out.  It was a Vs. Recorder, apparently my prize for catching up to her.  I accepted it, and she smiled, telling me she'd see me later.  She'd already beaten Faulkner, the Violet City Gym Leader, and was heading to Azalea.

I set up my room for the night at the Violet City Pokemon Center.  And decided I would challenge the local Sprout Tower before the Gym.  But even before that, I needed to train.  I had barely any experience with Atta Boy (he had helped me beat one Bug Catcher) and absolutely no experience with Wrong.  I wanted to know what they were capable of before I challenge Sprout Tower and risked their life.

((This may not be my last update for tonight, but I wanted to get this up here before I forget.))

SAVE LOCATION:  VIOLET CITY

TEAM:

PERION (Totodile) LVL. 9

HENESYS (Hoothoot) LVL. 6

ARAKI (Spinarak) LVL. 6

ATTA BOY (Rattata) LVL. 5

WRONG (Zubat) LVL. 3

--

May 25, 2011 at 12:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Ah I missed that disclaimer >>  I iz a reading n00b. I thought you were just postponing the poketransfer. My bad!

I like the format of this a lot. I know that's kind of vague, but I'm fond of Journal type narratives such as this. Looking forward to following this!

--

May 25, 2011 at 1:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

oh yeah, i added a link to this to the homepage. that way people can find it even when it drops off the four on the sidebar.

--

The destructor has gone

May 25, 2011 at 2:26 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

JUNE 1ST, 2011

So I finally found out what Wrong was capable of.  When I left the Pokemon Center, I immediately went out training.  Wrong of course could not handle himself on his own, Henesys and Atta Boy did a lot of aiding him.  All that was appearing was Rattatas, though, and they could easily dessimate my team without a second thought.  And in fact, they managed this, all because Wrong could not handle himself, useless little shit.  I sent out Henesys against yet another Rattata, to try and show Wrong how its done, just to be one-hit by a critical Quick Attack.

Henesys did not get back up after that.  Hadn't fought even one Gym Leader yet, and I had already lost someone.  I couldn't believe it.  Perion couldn't either, and vented his rage by utterly decimated the Rattata.  I've never seen a Totodile so angry, and it was scary, but it didn't even begin to express my feelings.  I think that night I yelled at Wrong for hours, and even then I still didn't feel better about it.

Before the day was up, however, I decided to go down Route 32 and see what I could get.  I found a Bellsprout, and I caught it and named it Sprouty.  Barely two seconds into the city I got acosted by some guy who wanted Sprouty, offering up his Onix.  I almost didn't, but I decided to go ahead and take him up on his offer, trading Sprouty for Rocky.  Rocky would be more useful against Faulkner anyway.

So with my new additions (and losses) to my team, I rested up and then challenged the Sprout Tower.  I found a Gastly, caught it and named it Right.  And boy was I glad I did.  Right slaughtered every Bellsprout I came up against.  I was so happy for him....and I made it no secret to Wrong.  And I didn't care what Wrong thought about it.

Rocky and Right did a very good job of cleaning up the Sprout Tower, but that was expected.  When I finally found the Elder, he had just been defeated by Asp.  I hid behind a pillar and listened in on their conversation; apparently Asp wasn't very kind, but the Elder still gave him a TM called Flash.  Asp ignored what the Elder said, saying that strong Pokemon were all that was important.  And I couldn't really disagree, I mean...strong Pokemon typically didn't die, like Henesys, or would need others to fight for him, like Wrong...but being nice to your Pokemon was also important, because...well, I didn't really know.  But my Pokemon were my friends, and I would be as nice to them as I could possibly be.  I mean, they kill for me because I want a few badges.

Soon after, I fought the Elder and won, using only Right, Rocky, and Atta Boy.  I rested them at the Pokemon Center, and while waiting for the nurse to return to me, I examined my shiny new Flash TM.  Not combat worthy, but a nice prize anyway. 

SAVE LOCATION:  VIOLET CITY

BADGES: 0

TEAM:

ROCKY (Onix) LVL. 9

ARAKI (Spinarak) LVL. 6

ATTA BOY (Rattata) LVL. 9

RIGHT (GASTLY) LVL. 9

PERION (Totodile) LVL. 9

WRONG (Zubat) LVL. 6

KIA:

HENESYS (Hoothoot) LVL. 3 - LVL. 6

June 1, 2011 at 3:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

A Zubat named Wrong and a Gastly named Right.
This is very good my friend!

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

June 1, 2011 at 10:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments