Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Video Games (Miscellaneous) > Fire Emblem 8 (Sacred Stones)

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

every summer or thereabouts (sometimes i skip a year) i get the urge to pick this game up again. i beat it fairly quickly, but for the past several years i've been caught up in the post-game stuff, namely unlocking Lyon (which i still have yet to do, but am well on my way to)

anyway, i just wanted to start a thread where me and my bros can discuss this game. i'm going to branch off into a few different topics, any or all of which you can run with if you so choose.

first of all, what do you guys think about the difficulty? for me, i found it significantly easier than Fire Emblem 7 (known simply as Fire Emblem for us dumbass americans), but that may be because my first experience with that game occurred when i was significantly younger than when i played Sacred Stones. at any rate, the ability to grind like a douchebag from essentially the beginning of the game easily seals that argument, but i avoided doing that for my initial run and still found it to be a nice challenge.

my first runthrough of Lagdou Ruins was nothing short of hell. i lost at floor 9 because hax got L'Arachel killed. oh, i should specify... i'm one of those guys that never accepts getting anyone killed. i restart if anyone dies. so because i lost L'Arachel (who's actually a useful unit in her own right) i lost my entire run. sigh.

that was 2007. i didn't try again until three summers later when i finally conquered it after much training (my whole party wasn't even lv.20 when i tried in 07) and it was still difficult, but i finished it with no real close calls. now, as i go for my second complete run, after spending all my money on mostly HP and Res upgrades, i find no challenge in it whatsoever. i'm up to floor 8 and haven't even broken a sweat. been turned to stone a few times by more gay hax, but again, no real problems. i may have to go with a watered-down party for run 3 -.-

speaking of... i'm currently conducting a study of untimely hax in this game, the results of which i'll be posting soon.

now, i guess the most fun part of this (for me anyway) is discussing our favorite units ^.^

Marisa- she's better as a Swordmaster you say? FUCK YOU NOBODY CARES. i made my Marisa an Assassin, and a fuckmazing one at that. by far the most clutch member of my team. MVP, Captain Clutch, The Executive Produca, Marisa Escobar, whatEVER, she's awesome and i freely admit i have some unhealthy feelings for her. she always crits when i need her to, never seems to get hit by anything, and has the act of winning down to an art.

Gerik- maybe not as clutch or agile as Marisa, but makes up for it with his bulk and strength. still gets plenty of crits and is more versatile with weapons. i like to pair the two together, they function well in the same unit. does a little of everything and does it all well.

Amelia- i made her a Paladin, and almost all her stats are max. including Luck. yet she still doesn't seem to be as lucky as my darling Marisa... quite a few criticals when i DON'T need them. still, she's never even come close to failing me. takes hits as well as she deals them, and has an astounding 8 Movement.

Garcia- made him a Warrior, max strength, and crits almost as much as Marisa when using a Killer Axe or Bow. slightly frail (working on fixing that) but arguably my strongest unit when it comes to sheer power.

...and many many more i love using too, but i don't wanna get too carried away right now.

i will say i can't stand using any of the dragon-riding units. they always get in danger for me and don't make up for it with their offensive skills. Tana is a decent Falcoknight for me, but in my experience for the most part, if it flies, it dies :/

oh, also i'm a total jew when it comes to using rare/powerful items. pretty much going through Lagdou with steel weapons while my storage is packed to the brim with powerful shit.\

think that about covers it... take it away, bros.

--

The destructor has gone

May 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i forgot to add Marisa Paper Stacks and Young Mareezy to her list of nicknames. my bad.

--

The destructor has gone

May 14, 2011 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I definately agree Sacred Stones is easier than FE7. I generaly like FE7 better, because it has a superior story in my opinion (And my favorite characteromgidsheissoawesomehugwhensleepingsowarm.) There are some good characters here though, enough that I still play the game.

I do want to start this off by saying that I unlocked every character in the game, including Lyon. Reiv is my favorite unit of all time. Just because he is an evil Bishop. Lol ironic.

Top character of SS is Lute. She is my baby. I loved her from the moment she came on screen all eliteist. She always crits when she needs to, and has never, EVAR died in any run, and i have used her on every run I can remember. 
Ross has to be my next pick. I like him more because he can become a Beserker than because the Kid he is. 
Amelia is a Pink General. What more needs to be said?
All these characters pale in comparison to the FE7 character Rebecca. Do you guys remember Rebecca? Green braided hair, orange outfit. Very plain little archer girl you get in a town at the beginning of Idiotwood's story. Omigod she is sooooo awesome! Fuck Will, fuck that one sniper lady, Rebecca is where all the awesome is at. I have unhealthy feelings for her, not even considering the fact she is a videogame character. She is always on my team and NEVER lets me down.

Overall my favorite units are Falcoknights though. Something about Pegasus. Yeah you gotta worry about bows but their mauverability makes up for that imo. 

I could keep talking about FE since I've also played and beaten the one for the Cube and the Wii, but I'mma stop here.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

May 14, 2011 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I think I am the only one here who gets bored and frustrated with FE.  I mean, I'm with Nick...I don't like continuing when a unit dies.  However, I also hate having to re-do entire battles because fucking Eirika (or however you spell it) decided to miss a 95% accurate attack and then died on the counter, at the end of the battle.  On top of that, a lot of battles I find to be easy, so when I'm not getting haxed to death, there is no challenge, and that's boring.  When the game is genuinely hard (which is much more then I made it seem just now) I just get frustrated, because it seems like its begging me to grind up, and no one wants to be forced to grind just to beat a part of the story.

Overall, I'm not the biggest fan of FE.  Its a little bit haxy for me, and I dislike games where part of the strategy is deciding who should get the EXP for the kill.  This isn't to say I think FE is a bad game, because that is far from the truth, but I don't have to like a game for it to be considered a good game.  I'll admit, I'm a FF: Tactics fanboy, and yes, I am fully aware that Tactics is a watered down version of FE.  Sue me.  I'll just tell you I like the FF world better, which is true.  :p

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

May 15, 2011 at 8:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Mitsuo's post brings up a lot of legitimate criticisms about the franchise in general, and i think the reasons he outlined more than anything are the reasons i play this game in streaks. when my streak ends, it's out of either rage because hax or boredom because OP'd. i just finished my second Lagdou run (and yes, i'll be posting the results of the useful/useless crit survey too) and i am sad to say i am now broken to the point of the game ceasing to be as much fun as it was. my first attempt at Lagdou was epic, unfortunately, it ended the wrong way and i was so frustrated i didn't pick it up again for 3 years. my first successful attempt last summer, while it felt epic at the time, was honestly a little less of a challenge than i'd thought it'd be too. this time though, there was no joy whatsoever. except in seeing my beautiful Marisa's Silencer activate against a full-HP Cyclops. but that's hardly relevant.

in FE, it's a fine line between being in danger of failing and being too strong, and unfortunately, that's a line i obviously crossed without even realizing it. it's nice to know i'm not the only one who got that.

regardless, i still find the games to be worthwhile. i think a good thing for them to do in Lagdou Ruins would have been for them to make it about twice as hard, so it's a challenge even if you're level 20 with max stats (or maybe adjust the difficulty based ON your level and stats?) BUT, make it so that any unit that dies comes back after you beat/quit the ruins.

--

The destructor has gone

May 15, 2011 at 8:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I've tried every FE released here in America.  I think I had the most fun with the Gamecube version, though I'm not sure that has anything to do with the game itself, and more to do with it was a group effort with a couple of friends.

--

May 15, 2011 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Sco and I watched you play that didn't we?

--

Ask me about my waifus

May 15, 2011 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Yup.  I think it was either all three of us or just me and Sco later that played it together.

--

May 15, 2011 at 9:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Look how HOT she is.
All your arugments are invalid. Rebecca is best.

--

Ask me about my waifus

May 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

um... hi?

that sultry gaze, flowing pink locks, and crit rate routinely in the 60% range?

yeah. looks like i just activated Silencer on your argument.

semi-related, i stumbled upon this piece of fanart of my love as an assassin:

not half bad, eh?

--

The destructor has gone

May 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I have now officially silenced all of your arguments.  Those muscly arms, powerful gaze...that axe....

Puts Rebecca and Marica to shame, dunnit?

--

May 23, 2011 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

^too much hawt.

i concede.

--

The destructor has gone

May 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Damn you!

--

Ask me about my waifus

May 23, 2011 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I'm glad you do not fight your defeat.  It makes it so much more savory.

--

May 23, 2011 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Kinda off topic now that we're talking about hotness, but the Sages have always been my favorite characters. I've always been a fan of magic casters in general and this game made it even more cool.

I LOVE Fire Emblem but I agree with all of the aforementioned points. "Hard" is too hard (i too reset after a lose)  and if you level you roll everything without a second thought.

I don't remember any of the sages in particular so... I lose the hawtness fight. I concede!

--

May 24, 2011 at 7:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

To get back on Subject, I've always enjoyed the main characters, except Eirika.  I always liked trying to use Eliwood, Lyn, or Hector, but I hated Eirika.  I also never got to use her brother.

--

May 24, 2011 at 7:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Which is a real shame, because Ephraim is a badass. 
I think Eilwood is my least Favorite Hero. Or Marth from the Shadow Dragon.
Hector is my favorite, with Ike coming in a close second.

--

Ask me about my waifus

May 24, 2011 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Ike was pretty cool, but I didn't get to play his game very much.  And I absolutely hated the DS FE, and I only played the first level.  lol

--

May 24, 2011 at 8:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments