Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Dungeons and Dragons

Mitsuo-Dexl

Yes.  That one really nerdy game.  Yeah, that one.

I only know of a few people on this site who play, so I am hesitant to bring this up...but meh.  I have a few ideas brewin' for a game, and I want to run them by you guys.  I am kind of busy, so I won't post my idea here in this post, but I will post it when I am not swamped.

If you don't play DnD, no worries.  The things I am looking for are people to brain-storm stories with, and if you do play, you can help me come up with statistics and such.

LIke I said, when not busy, I will post my idea.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

March 2, 2011 at 9:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Look'in forward to it.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

March 3, 2011 at 12:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

The premise is pretty simple.  Salvation Games has produced a game called Timlean, which is played by several players connecting to a host.  Once the players connect, they are thrust into a village (which has all problems of an MMO...lagging bartenders, glitches, and the like) where they must find their host player (who was lost during the connection) and complete some mysterious qualification.  The players are alrerted that failure to complete the qualification means death of the host player and the others are forever trapped within the virtual village.

Once the qualification is complete, their host player becomes a guide of sorts as the players take on their real personas of their rolled characters.  They then begin on a quest as the Hero's of Timlean to save their world and their land.  This should be about Paragon in length, talking 4e.  This means when the actually achieve this they should be around level 20.

The kicker is the truth.  Salvation Gaming is actually a large cult (if you will) of people who still practice and can wield the old ways of swords and magic, the very things the players were taught to wield in the game.  When the players complete the game and return to the real world, they retain their abilities from Timlean, and are soon contacted by Salvation Gaming explaining the truth...and the reason they trapped all the innocent people.

They explain that they trapped the people to save them from the call of Allabar, the aberrant moon created ages past by the creatures of the Far Realm to take control of the Astral Plane.  Being a moon, the thing could have hardly been killed, even by the most powerful of hero, but had been simply been weakened and (by the will of the Far Realm) pulled back closer to thin veil between the Far Realm and the Astral Plane. The people who helped stop the moon were the ancestors of the creators of Timlean, who were charged with watching the moon and preparing a way to stop the moon each and every time it returns.

The people who actually succeeded at their game (the players) would be the people they called to actually fight the moon upon its return to the Astral Plane, while they maintained a spell to reduce Allabar's influence.  Of course, the players would end up fighting and defeating the moon.  There is likely a chance Salvation Gaming gets taken over by Allabar and the players must kill them too.

Yeah, this is a rough sketch...and since I'm tired, its prolly not typed the clearest.  Oh, well.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

--

March 3, 2011 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Where did you come up with this? this idea is staggargingly beautiful! So many layers!

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 3, 2011 at 10:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Sitting in my room, bored, wanting to play DnD.  And some of it came as I was typing.

--

March 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

This sounds so cool. Would the party have to make several characters though? One for themselves and one for their party? How can the kill a moon?

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 3, 2011 at 9:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Nope,  only one character.  They character whom they intend to become and adopt the abilities of.  For instance, if you were in said game, you would roll...say a Dragonborn Fighter.  When the game started, even though you personally are not strong physically, you would feel like you were strong, and suddenly would not be afraid to fight enemies.  Your  would feel like your fighter would, which would be odd to you since you are likely not built like a Dragonborn.

And the MM3 for 4e says things like create a astral project that is the size of the players so they could fight it.  I don't know yet how I'll implement it.

--

March 4, 2011 at 8:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Darkzero45

1st thought: Homestuck

2nd thought: Majora's Mask

3rd thought: Awesome

4th though: 4th ed? Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy??

--

"Why don't you tell me? I'd like to know my feelings y'know!"

March 4, 2011 at 9:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

This is a very cool idea, I would definately enjoy playing it. I'm not even sure if I have a critque.

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 4, 2011 at 10:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I'll have to find some way to get you in on it then.

And to Darkzero, yeah....4e.  Here is why:  it's my favorite edition of DnD, and I've played since ADnD.  It has the most developed combat, both in rule structure and pace, and it makes sure that turns go by fast enough people can't get bored.  Because of this, it shirks the RP a little bit, but only if you think the lack of rules for RP type things as shirking RP.  I don't because I prefer un-structured RP as it is.  I don't like the idea of having to shift through 500 different books to figure out whether or not that pipe my character is smoking offends the halfling with asthma half-way across the tavern.

Besides, 4e is a whole different game under the same name as previous DnDs.  You can't compare it to the earlier editions, that's unfair.

--

March 4, 2011 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

I really like this. If only I knew how to play >.<

--
March 10, 2011 at 4:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments