Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Pokemon of the Week!

Cecil-Jacobs

Hey Guys! I was thinking, a good deal of us here at PR know about Pokemon, but what about those trying to break into the Battling Scene? So Pokemon of the Week was born, a way for both Newbies and Veterans to meet and chat about a different Pokemon each week. 

Today's Pokemon is GENGAR!

A Big Picture right? It was too funny to pass up though (Sorry!)

Anyway, GENGAR, the Gas Pokemon. Gengar is a Special Sweeper, no doubt about it. With a massive Base 130 Special Attack and a agile base 110 Speed Gengar has all the makings of a Glass Cannon Special Sweeper.

Gengar Set #1

Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Thunderbolt
Explosion

Held Item: Life Orb or Choice Specs
EV's: 252 Sp.At, 4 At, 252 Speed
Nature: Timid +Sp, -At

This is the bread and butter set for Gengar. With a Choice Specs STAB Shadow Ball wrecks anything not immune or resistant, which is instead killed by Focus Blast (Althogh beward that shakey accuracy!) Thunderbolt is there to hit Water Type Walls harder than Shadow Ball, and Explosion is there to take out Special Walls like Blissy who can outstall you, even with Focus Blast.
Choice Specs is usually better because even if your prediction is less than perfect, unless the switch is immune, you'll do plenty of Damage. Go with Life Orb if you prefer some flexibility with your Gengar, he is already so frail that 10% off his HP each attack doesn't hurt.

Gengar Set #2

Substitute
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Hidden Power (Fire)/Hypnosis

Held Item: Leftovers
Ev's: 4 Hp, 252 Sp.At, 252 Speed
Natue: Timid +Spd, -At

The beauty of this set is its simplicity. Come in on something you are immune to and will force out, Substitute on the switch, then wreck whatever counter the Opponent brings in while safely sitting behind your substitute. Focus Blast any Tyranitar, and Hidden Power (Fire) is for Scizor, another potent Gengar threat. Hypnosis is an option if you are worried about shutting down Blissey, or you are having trouble breeding a Gastly with HP (Fire).

Gengar Set #3

Substitute
Pain Split
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Item: Life Orb
EV's: 4 Df, 252 Sp.At, 252 Sp
Nature: Timid +Sp, -At

In HG/SS Move Tutors could give Gengar Pain Split. Although a poor recovery move, Gengar can use it to great effect with his low HP and Substitute. Same Tactics above, Sub on the switch and then proceed to Wreck the switch-in. Pain Split when you are feeling low on health. The coolest part of this set is its ability to take out Blissey. With Pain Split, Gengar can use that massive HP to her disadvantage, and behind a Sub she can't give him a Status Effect. Then once she is in killing Range BAM! Focus Blast to the face.

Gengar Set #4 Unique Smogon Set

Icy Wind
Shadow Ball
Counter
Focus Blast/Taunt

Item: Focuse Sash
Ev's: 252 Sp.At, 4 Hp, 252 Spd. 0 Df IV
Nature: Mild +Sp.At -Df or Hasty +Spd -Df

I don't have a super-special Gengar set to show you guys, because I feel there is little to be improved upon on this awesome Sweeper. However I peeked at Smogon and found this neat Lead Gengar and just had to show you guys. The Idea is to use Icy Wind on faster Leads like Azelf and Aerodactyl, and then get the 2HKO with Shadow Ball, use Counter on Physical Leads like Machamp or Metagross, and use Taunt on slower non-offensive leads. (Focus Blast is there to take our Tyranitar and Heatran Leads, the only things this set can't take). Trainers have to choose between doing damage or getting their Rocks up and leaving a Full Health Gengar with a Focus Sash, they can't have both. You are advised to run a Mild Nature if you pick Focus Blast, and a Hasty Nature with Taunt.

Some good Teammates for Gengar include: Magnezone, Scizor, Infernape, Dragonite, and Starmie. Defensivly, Magnezone is a great partner to Gengar because he resists all the Ghost and Dark moves super-effective agaisnt Gengar, whereas Gengar is immune to the Fighting and Ground moves Magnezone fears. Scizor is a great partner for Gengar for similar reasons, as well as being adept at taking out some of Gengars Biggest Counters; Tyranitar, Blissey, Snorlax and the like. Offensively Infernape and Dragonite are good Wallbreakers who can defeat many of the Walls that would otherwise hinder Gengar's sweep. Finally Starmie has similar counters to Gengar, meaning if one can weaken the others to killing range, the other can have a field day with the opponent's team.

Gengar's Biggest Counter is a Choice Scarfed Tyranitar. With his Powerful Crunches and Speed boosted by Scarf, Tyranitar can come in and eat Gengar before he has a chance to Focus Blast it. Another Great counter to Gengar is Scizor, who has Powerful Bullet Punches for weakened Gengar, as well as Pursuit to catch fleeing Gengar. Blissey also Counters Gengar very well, even when they are packing Focus Blast. Just be wary of Pain Split sets. Spiritomb can come in on Choiced Gengar and either force a switch (if it was stuck on Focus Blast) or blast him with a powerful Sucker Punch.

So what do you think about Gengar PR? An Awesome sweeper? A terrible Pokemon? Do you have a unique Gengar set not represented here that you wouldn't mind sharing with us?

One final note to the Pokemon of the Week. I plan to do this every week on Friday (sometime). Inside the Posts I will hide a key word. The first person to put that Key word in a post wins a free Pokemon of the Week Pokemon in whichever set they like! So today if you post after this with the word "Daylight" in your post, you win a Gengar of your choice! Good Luck PR!

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

February 25, 2011 at 12:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Gengar is a beast! Like you mentioned though, he's incredibly squishy. I know the times I've used my Gengar, he either gets ko'd right off the bat or takes out 2-3 pokemon before he goes out. He's incredibly useful without a doubt. The only trouble is getting him into play without worries. As mentioned, if a Gengar goes against a Tyranitar.. the Gengar will more than likely get the "Daylight" knocked out of him ;)

I'm honestly really looking forward to this series CJ. This is beastly. I can't wait for next Friday. Between this, the general "TGIF" feeling, and RoosterTeeth's Fails of the Weak (Halo Reach fails and such), Friday is going to be my favorite day of the week.

--

February 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

B "Diddy" M at February 25, 2011 at 1:42 PM

Gengar is a beast! Like you mentioned though, he's incredibly squishy. I know the times I've used my Gengar, he either gets ko'd right off the bat or takes out 2-3 pokemon before he goes out. He's incredibly useful without a doubt. The only trouble is getting him into play without worries. As mentioned, if a Gengar goes against a Tyranitar.. the Gengar will more than likely get the "Daylight" knocked out of him ;)

I'm honestly really looking forward to this series CJ. This is beastly. I can't wait for next Friday. Between this, the general "TGIF" feeling, and RoosterTeeth's Fails of the Weak (Halo Reach fails and such), Friday is going to be my favorite day of the week.

Congrats! What set would you like? Be sure to denote it's nature, item, and Moveset if there are options!

Also, any Nickname prefences.

--

Ask me about my waifus

February 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Set 4, Mild Natured. No nickname or anything.. that's such a badass use for him.

--

February 27, 2011 at 1:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Your Gengar is ready to pick up when you are.

To answer my own questions to maybe facilitate more chat. I love Gengar. I think it is a very solid sweeper. Gengar is one of the first sweepers I used when I started making teams, and to this day I still use a Gengar on two Seperate teams (My Sandstorm and on my Double Team)

--

Ask me about my waifus

February 27, 2011 at 3:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Time once again for another 
POKEMON OF THE WEEK!

This is the last week of Gen 4 guys (technically it has ended since games came out in Eurpoe today) 
So before I even go on to the PotW I have a question.
Should I continue in subsiquent weeks to do 4th Gen Pokemon? Or move on to 5th Gen? I can see good reasons for both. I know Antwan isn't moving most of his competative Pokes, and neither will I. So gen 4 battling will still go on here. However, the new Metagame is out there and we can take a piece of it if we so choose.

Basically I am torn. Input?

Anyway, to the PotW This week's random Number is 280, which is Ralts. So for this week I present to you Gardevoir! 

Gardevoir, is a strange Pokemon to say the least. She packs a solid base 125 Special Attack, but a middling Base 80 speed. She boasts a wonderful defensive moveset and a great ability in Trace, but only a pitiful base 68 HP and 65 Defense. If you are looking for a strong sweeper, go Alakazam. If you want a defensive monster, go Uxie or Cresselia. Gardevoir will do a little of both, but neither too well. 

Gardevoir Set #1
Wil-O-Wisp
Wish
Protect
Psychic
Held Item: Leftovers
EV's: 252 HP, 4 DF, 252 Sp.Df
Ability: Trace Nature: Calm

This is a primarily defensive Gardevoir set. You can burn opposing Pokemon with Wil-O-Wisp and heal yourself with Wish and Protect. Psychic is there so you aren't completely ruined by Taunt. The real secret to this set is abusing Trace properly. If you are observant, you can come in on a Surf from a Pokemon with Water Absorb, or a Thunder from something with Volt Absorb, come in on a EQ from a Levitator ect. Or you can use it to Reflect Intimidates back on something with that.

Gardevoir Set #2
Psychic
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Focus Blast/ Trick
Item: Choice Specs or LO
Ev's: 252 Speed, 252 Sp.At, 4 HP
Ability: Trace Nature: Timid

This focuses around having a Sweeping Gardevoir. Psychic is your main STAB where Shadow Ball if for all Ghosts not named Gengar and other Psychics. Thunderbolt is for the bulky waters that want to try and wall you. The Final choice between Focus Blast and Trick is all about what you want to wall you. If you don't run Focus Blast, then any Steel,Rock, or Dark Type (Or some Ghastly combonation of both! I'm looking at you Tyranitar!) will wall you. If you don't run Trick, then you'll fall prey to Blissey, Uxie, and Cressiela. (Don't even bother trying to beat a Blissey with Focus Blast. It won't happen withouth crazy luck.)
Finally, Specs and Life Orb is a personal prefrence. Life Orb prevents you from being punished by a Dark Type who thinks you are locked in Psychic, whereas Specs will make you deal a whole ton more damage. Be sure to run Focus Blast instead of Trick if you decide to go with LO. Tricking a LO onto a Blissey is not nearly as dehibilitating as a Choice item is.

CJ's Special Gardevoir Set #3
Thunder Wave
Confuse Ray
Calm Mind
Psychic
Item: LO or Leftovers
EV's: 252 Sp.At, 252 Speed. 4 Hp
Ability: Trace Nature: Modest

This is a late game sweeper Gardevoir set, once all Steel and Dark types have been dealt with. The idea is to use the multiple opportunities presented by Trace to come in and Thunder Wave opponents. (Don't try to set up till late game or you'll blow your cover). Once your Dark and Steels are out of the way and most of the team is paralyzed, use Confuse Ray for some Parafusion fun! Calm Mind up while they are busy hitting themselves and then proceed to sweep with Psychic. LO is better for sweeping purposes, but if you would rather your Gardevoir live longer and get more Calm Minds, use Leftovers instead.

Some good Teammates Gardevoir appreciates are the myraid of Tyranitar Counters; Machamp, Hariyama and Hitmontop. Other Pokemon that appreciate the work that Gardevoir does are frail or slow set-up sweepers like Blazekin, Scizor, Lucario, and Infernape.Gardevoir's weak base 65 Defense should always be a top priority, because even non-super effective Physical attacks could ruin her.

By far her biggest weakness is Pursuit user, so pokemon like Tyranitar, Scizor, and Weavile with Pursuit can wreck a Gardevoir quite easily. Strong Phsyical attacks period can really ruin her, so even a strong EQer can rid a Gardevoir. The secret phrase this week is Luvdisc. Blissey walls any form of Gardevoir to no end, just beware of Trick. Cresselia and Uxie also can wall Gardevoir quite easily, especially if they are boasting Calm Mind to absorb Shadow Balls.

So what do you think of Gardevoir PR? Is she worth a spot on your team? Do you have a super-secret Gardevoir set that I don't have up here and you wouldn't mind sharing? Don't forget to find this week's secret word and put it it your following post to earn your own Gardevoir! 

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 4, 2011 at 4:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

europe can eat a dick, it's still gen IV until AMERICA gets it.

also i say you should keep doing gen IV. the B/W metagame will be total bullshit for months until people figure stuff out, so wait til it's all more defined.

boy, i wish i could have my own Gardevoir, but sadly i've never managed to raise a good one on my own... if only someone would make one for me, i would LUVDISC them forever!

okay that was really bad but how the hell are you supposed to work "Luvdisc" in to a regular conversation? set #1 is my favorite, and i'll get back to you on a nickname.

as for how i feel about her, well, to be honest the only time i've ever seen her used with success was the #1 set on Xerxes' NU team. i think Trace opens up a LOT of possibilities, but sadly her physical frailty just hurts her too much. but IMO, she's still a little too powerful for NU. probably why Xerxes put her on his team, eh?

--

The destructor has gone

March 4, 2011 at 4:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Heh, congrats Antwan! You win a Gardevior!

Actually, I never said you ahve to work it into a conversation, just put it in your post. I like what you guys are doing though, trying to use it in the sentence. I think I will make that a requirement from now on (And I'll start using words you can fit in.) 

1 vote for continuing 4th gen.

And finally, shamless whoring on my part, but have you all checke dout Chapter 3 on my Green run?

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 4, 2011 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i have! i have! excellent writings again, my good man.

--

The destructor has gone

March 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Oh, just so you all know, I went through a lot of work to find a Tame Picture of Gardevior.

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 4, 2011 at 7:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

not surprised. Gardevoir is easily the most rule 34'd pokemon ever. it's kind of sad, really.

--

The destructor has gone

March 4, 2011 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Pokemon of the Week!

This week's number was 307, Meditite, so this week is Medicham!

Cute huh? My Medicham and Gardevoir became a couple. (She flashed him and Huge Power took effect...)

Anyhow, Medicham; It is a powerhouse with Pure Power but it is a bit of a glass canon with some paper thin defenses. With proper support it can devistate, but one wrong move could make it into more of a hinderance than a help.

Medicham set #1
High Jump Kick/Brick Break
Thunder Punch/ Ice Punch
Psycho Cut
Trick/Ice Punch
Held Item: Choice Scarf
EV's: 4Hp, 252At, 252 Speed
Ability: Pure Power. Nature: Jolly

This is arguably Medicham's best set. Medicham is too defensivly weak to really stand and boost it's stats, but being a revenge killer/late game sweeper suits it well. Trick is there to ruin walls who would otherwise laugh in your face (like Gliscor if you aren't running Ice Punch). Be sure ot support this Medicham with a good Ghost counter, because those crashes from High Jump Kick will really ruin it's health fast.

Medicham Set #2
Hi Jummp Kick/ Low Kick
Zen Headbutt
Fake Out/ Thunderpunch/ Ice Punch
Bullet Punch
Item: Life Orb
Ev's: 252 At 4Df, 252 Speed
Ability: Pure Power. Nature: Jolly/Adamant

With Medicham's Attack Booster by Pure Power and LO it can really break through even some of the scariest walls. High Jump Kick is going to be doing the most damage, but if you are afraid of the recoil you can go with Low Kick. The base power of Low Kick is very variable though, and that may come back to bite you. Zen Headbutt is good here because of the flinch chance. Fake Out and Bullet Punch are good for catching weakend or super-fast pokemon, Thunderpunch and Icepunch for coverage. Jolly is better because with only 80 base speed things will be outspeeding you often, but you could go Adamant to really punch some holes. 

And... that's all she wrote. Medicham was a Poke I knew very little about. I have never used one in any of my Pokemon runs. It looks like a tough guy though.

Good teammates for Medicham are things that can take out the Ghost types that plague it's excistance. Pokemon like Houndoom, Spiritomb, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Scizor. Medicham loves Spikes and SR support so getting those one the field, like with a Forrtress and Omastar. 

Countering Medicham is pretty simple. You use the secret word mismanagement. Other good counters to Medicham include Ghosts who switch in on High Jump Kicks, particularly Spirtomb and Dusknoir. Metragross also walls this thing to hell, and can strike it hard with Bullet Punch. 

So what do you think about Medicham? Super awesome? Super lame?

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 11, 2011 at 11:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

I don't like Medicham BECAUSE you have to do everything just right with it or risk being screwed.

--
March 12, 2011 at 3:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I usually am responsible for the MISMANAGEMENT of my Pokemon, so I don't really think Medicham is the poke for me...but he seems cool.  Considering the few fights I have had with you, CJ, I feel like you would stomp this thing to hell if I used it against you, though, since I have not so found memories of your own Metagross.

I lol'd at the Gardevoir line.  Just saying.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

March 12, 2011 at 7:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Congratulations Mitsuo! You won a Medicham! I'll get on making it for you right away!

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I'll get it from you as soon as possible.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

March 14, 2011 at 2:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

oh, hey, i totally forgot about my Gardevoir... i'd like her to be named Cassandra, if you please. still set no.1

--

The destructor has gone

March 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Sure thing, I'll have her ready by tomorrow.

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 15, 2011 at 2:08 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Pokemon of the Week!

This week's number is 158- Totodile! So it is my pleasure to present to you Feraligtr!

Feraligtr happens to be one of my favorites. Competativly he plays like a Gyarados, but to assume he is Gyarados is a grave mistake. The good Gtr has an very different move pool than our friend the Rage Fish. To assume Feraligtr to be an inferior Gyarados is to leave you open to a Feraligtr sweep.

Feraligtr Set #1
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Ice Punch/Ice Fang
EQ
Item: LO or Leftovers
Ev's: 252 At, 252 Sp, 4Sp.Df
Nature: Jolly or Adamant

A very similar set to a standard Gyarados. The idea is to come in on something you will force out (or cannot harm you) and Dragon Dance up. Ice Fang is an option instead of Ice Punch if you want a little less accuracy for a chance to Flinch. Jolly is preferred over Adamant because of how slow Feraligtr is (comparitve to the rest of the metagame) but if you would rather hit harder than Adamant is for you. LO gives the extra bite to your attacks and gives you key OHKOs on some Pokes that Leftovers doesn't, but with Leftovers you may get more DDs than with LO so really it is all personal preference. 

Feraligtr Set #2
Swords Dance
Waterfall/Aqua Tail
Return
Aqua Jet
Item: Lum Berry or LO
Ev's: 4Hp, 252At, 252Speed
Nature: Jolly

This set utilizes something Gyarados cannot, Swords Dance! Swords Dance lets you boost your Attack very quickly. Because Feraligtr is just water type, it doesn't need to fear Electric moves as much as Gyarados does, a real boon that can let Feraligtr set up 2 Dances even against Water Types with Hidden Power (Electric/Grass). Aqua Tail is a reasonable change from Waterfall because of it's higher Base Power. You won't be boosting your speed with this set, so the flinch effect will not have as many opportunities to come into effect. Lum Berry is better to prevent Burns from faster walls like Duskinoir and Rotom. LO is still there if you would rather do even more damage.

Feraligtr is a sweeper, and as all sweepers do, Feraligtr liks SR and Spikes support to help get OHKOs on more bulky creatures. Feraligtr appreciates teammates that can take down it's counters, Zapdos for opposing Gyarados and Vaporeon, and Pokemon like Scizor or Tyranitar to take out Bulky Ghosts like Rotom. 

Countering Feraligtr is a difficult process, except unlike a Rampaging Gyarados who you can shock with Electricity, Feraligtr is only x2 weakness. Surprisingly, Bulky Gyarados are one of the bst counters to Feraligtr because of Intimidate and Roar. Bulky Mence or Specs Mence can often stop Feraligtr for the same reasons, either with Intimidate and Roar or with a STAB Draco Meteor. Electric types like Zapdos and Jolteon can kill Feraligtr if they are first, but beware a Feraligtr with more than 2 DDs or a Swords Dance and Aqua Jet. Celebi can take the Swords Dance set as long as it uses Leaf Storm the first turn, or else it risks being 2HKOd by Return.

Some of you have read this far wondering where the "key" word is today. Well you won't find it unless you are extra crafty today. Also of import, I have decided to be even MORE generous! Along with giving away a PotW pokemon to the first poster who uses the secret word in a sentence I am also giving away a 5th Gen Pokemon egg to anyone who wants one. These will always be eggs of Pokemon introduced in the 5th Gen, and they will of course come with Egg moves and a good nature. Let it be known these are not custom Eggs, if you don't want the move or nature then get your own. oP

This week's Egg is Deerling with Synthesis. The Nature is undetermined, but it will be something that boosts Attack. 

What do you guys think of Feraligtr? Best Pokemon ever? Bad Gyarados knock-off?

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 18, 2011 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

Freakin AWSHUUUUUM. That's what.

--
March 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments