Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Xelakian's LG (Lawful Good) Nuzlocke Run

Xelakian

So, now that I've beaten HG (and my dad has seen fit to borrow it while I search frantically for Emerald), I'm gonna try to do a Nuzlocke Run of Leaf Green, something I've been meaning to do for a while.

RULES:

• Fainting is punishable by death.
  • Pokemon Centers are the only source of healing outside of battles.
  • In battles, I can use any item I find, except revives.
  • Revives and purely sellable goods, like Nuggets, can be sold and used to purchase Pokeballs only.
  • One Pokemon per area. This starts when I get my Pokedex. Towns count for this. If I fish in a town, that's my one Pokemon in that town. If I trade in a town, that's my one Pokemon in that town. If I buy a Pokemon, etc.
  • Safari Zone is special. One Pokemon per area. I can use Safari Balls until I successfully catch a Pokemon in that area. This likely won't affect much in the game, as those tend to be retardedly difficult to catch.
  • No repeats. If the first Pokemon in a section is one I already have, tough luck, no Poke for that section.
  • Nicknames are crucial. Unfortunately, as I suck at nicknaming, I'll be taking the names from various things, so there won't be one consistent theme.
  • No escape. If I encounter a wild Pokemon, I must fight it. There will be no running. On a related note, no Repels.
  • No save-scumming. I have a tendency to save before Gym Battles so that if I lose I don't have to white out. This is counter to the idea of a Nuzlocke Run.
  • ???
  • PROFIT

I will be starting sometime today, with Bulbasaur. Why? A couple reasons. Bulbasaur, in addition to being #001 (i.e. the first Pokemon in the area, numerically), it is the least used of the starters. Besides that, my first completed run of Blue version was with a Bulbasaur as my starter. In addition to this, my run of HG taught me how to run a Fireless party and Water is RIDICULOUSLY common. Bulbasaur also will make the first two Gym leaders, Misty in particular, less of a pain to defeat. I will post tonight, so smell ya later!

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

January 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

bulbasaur is a good choice. idk how you're gonna make it without repels, though.

--
January 25, 2011 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

no repels=no legends. that's about it.

and in LeafGreen, water is common, but GOOD water is not. of course, you're guaranteed a lapras so.

also, you say pokecenters are your only healing spots, but surely you include other rest spots like the bed in silph co, right?

--

The destructor has gone

January 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Bublasaur is a great choice for a Nuzlocke. It doesn't really matter what other Pokemon you get between the beginning and Lt. Surge that way (especially since there is a cave of Digletts!) I don't know if I could even do a Nuzlocke in that Gen.. going through those game without Charmander would tear me up.

Good luck on your run! Nice rules to go by too.

BTW: Win reference from Underpants Gnomes :P

January 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

I wonder if I hate my run because I don't have squirtle lol.

can't wait til you poooooooooooooost :D

--
January 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

MasterAshinator at January 25, 2011 at 6:47 PM

I wonder if I hate my run because I don't have squirtle lol.

can't wait til you poooooooooooooost :D

no, you hate your run bc you killed sparkle

--

The destructor has gone

January 25, 2011 at 6:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

pooey.

--
January 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Yeah, designated healing spots are treated as Pokemon Centers. Should post in a few hours. Been distracted by other games.

--

January 25, 2011 at 7:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

it's alright, i understand

--
January 25, 2011 at 8:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i love how you have like 10 posts before your first update.

guys, we should probably shut up XD

--

The destructor has gone

January 25, 2011 at 9:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 1: Difficult Beginnings

My name is Xerxes. I feel...different. The last thing I remember is of gathering my sixteenth badge. I've find myself in a place that looks familiar, yet...strange. My trademark yellow and black cap is missing, a red and white one in its place. My clothes are similar, yet different.

I head to my PC. At least the setup looks the same as my old one. I quickly check to find I stored a Potion here. I take it, and head downstairs.

I see a woman sitting at the kitchen table. My mother? She doesn't look like her, yet claims she is. I must be going insane. I leave, to find myself in a somewhat familiar town. Pallet Town, the home of Professor Oak. I had visited here not more than a few days ago. Yet...it seems different. Well, no point in delaying the inevitable. I head north, to Viridian, only to be stopped and dragged back to the city by Oak, shouting that there are wild Pokemon in the grass. Not anymore, Professor, you've scared them all off.

After being dragged back by the authority on Pokemon, I find...Blue? But, I just defeated him the other day. He looks younger though, and is complaining about when he's going to get his Pokemon. I must be going crazy. I quickly pick the nearest Pokeball to me, a Bulbasaur, apparently. Blue, who seems to go by the name Gary in this hallucination for some reason, grabs a Charmander and challenges me to a battle. Despite my best efforts, his Charmander rips my Bulbasaur to shreds.

I wake up. I check my PC. Grab the Potion. Leave the town. Grab the Bulbasaur. Get shredded by Gary.

This process repeats itself a grand total of five times. The sixth time, I use the Potion, realizing that it's my only hope of defeating G MFN O, as I've taken to calling him, and succeed. Rejoicing from my victory, I finally head to Viridian City. I encounter a Pidgey. Piece of cake...or so I thought. The Pidgey crushes my Bulbasaur, and I wake up once more.

Enough of this crap! I go through my routine, trounce G MFN O with my newly christened YELLOWMUSK (after the Creeper, a parasitic plant from D&D) with the assistance of my new best friend Potion, and head North, carefully progressing. I get to Viridian City with little difficulty and head into the PokeMart to get some Pokeballs. The clerk tosses me a package, telling me to deliver it to the Prof. Stumbling out of the shop, empty-handed, I jump down the ledges to Pallet Town. I deliver Oak's package, only to find G MFN O charging up from behind. Oak apparently had neglected to tell me that he was giving away PokeDexes. But, as I delivered his package, he gave me one anyways, along with five Pokeballs. God, this thing is outdated. I must've gone back in time or something.

I head back to Route 1, and catch a Pidgey I name ACHIEREI (look it up). After a bit of grinding for levels, I head to Route 22, just off of Viridian, and catch a Rattata. This one, unlike my previous two 'Mons, was a female, and so I decide to name it NAZRIN, from Touhou (Male = D&D, Female = Touhou). I do some more training, and after a bit of leveling, I decide to have Nazrin do some regular leveling instead of the standard Bait-and-Switch. I fail to pay attention and Nazrin is hit with a Critical. Nazrin is no more...

I head North of Viridian to the edge of the forest, Route 2, and capture a wild Caterpie I name WRIGGLE. As Wriggle is half the level of the rest of my party, I train, until it evolves. Now, I stand at the forest's edge, preparing.

Record:

Yellowmusk (Bulbasaur) Lvl 8

Achierei (Pidgey) Lvl 8

Nazrin (Rattata) Lvl 6

Wriggle (Metapod) Lvl 7

--

January 25, 2011 at 10:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

"Not anymore, Professor, you've scared them all off." --That cracked me up.

The way you're narrating this is Very interesting. I like the going back in time thing, it's pretty neat. Your narrating gives off a suspenseful air, which kind of makes me think of a dark scene in a movie and you see a bush with glowing red eyes. I don't know Where the hell that came from lolol.

Sorry about Nazrin :(

You don't have to explain the names if you don't want to, btw.

--
January 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

BESs

yowch. rough start man. if it makes you feel any better, when i ran this game, i got my first two captures killed immediately. almost quit right there

--

The destructor has gone

January 25, 2011 at 10:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Yeah, the first few runs sucked. I think they either nerfed Bulbasaur or buffed the Charmander in between the gens. It kinda irks me. It's like they know that so few people use the grass types and make the players suffer because of it. And then, there's the lack of a good, solid fire type since Gen 2...but I digress.

More updates tomorrow.

--

January 25, 2011 at 11:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

happened to me over & over & over again, too. i thought the same thing about the charmander/bulbasaur thing.

--
January 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Dude.. horrible luck at the beginning there. That really blows. The narration is really cool though! It would make sense if they buffed Charmander because back in the old games, you either had to get a Mankey, Nidoran, or Butterfree to have even a small chance against Brock. I remember spending hours leveling Charmander to Charmeleon and although I was about 4-6 levels higher when I actually challenged him, Charmeleon couldn't do much.. I'm kinda glad he learns Metal Claw in the newer versions.

January 26, 2011 at 2:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 2: Bitter Medicine

I steel myself for, what I know will be, a difficult trek through Viridian's Forest. I never understood why they didn't just cut it down, instead of putting a terribly maintained path winding through a breeding ground of lightning rats and poison worms. I enter.

I wander through, and find an item ball. A Weedle blocks my path. I capture it, having to waste an extra ball on it, and name her MEDICINE. I leave to level my new companion. Medicine evolves into Kakuna, which funnily enough resembles a pill. I return to the forest.

There are Bug Catchers everywhere. I plow through the winding paths, and surprisingly escape no worse for the wear. Lightning rats were nowhere to be found, and the Weedle's poisons failed to work. As I leave, Medicine evolves once more, into Beedrill and learns the secrets of danmaku (Fury Attack). I explore Pewter City, preparing for the Gym leader. I evaluate my party, and decide to do some more leveling in the forest. Wriggle evolves and learns Confusion, making it a capable slaughter engine. The Weedles finally appear en masse, poisoning my Pokemon, forcing me to run back to Pewter. I thankfully don't lose any of my allies. It's time.

I head to the Gym. I encounter one of Brock's flunkies, who seems to barely have the thought capacity to use Rock-types (using a Sandshrew for some reason). Obviously it was he who was light-years from facing me. I progress to Brock, whose Geodude and Onix don't stand a chance to the vines of the Yellow Musk. I take the Boulder Badge and head east, where one of Prof. Oak's Aides was waiting for me. He gave me a new pair of shoes, because apparently I couldn't run in my old ones. I put them on prepare to tackle Route 3.

Youngsters, Bug Catchers and Lasses are no match for the danmaku barrages of Medicine and Wriggle's blasts of insanity. I take a shortcut back to Pewter, jumping off a ledge, only to be stopped by a shorts obsessed Youngster by the name of Calvin (ironic, no?). He sends out his Spearow, which in one fowl Peck, eats Medicine. In revenge, I send out Achierei to cure the Spearow of its condition: living. Achierei nearly dies, but not before killing the Spearow. I rush back to the Center, mourning the loss of Medicine.

I return to the route, find that the first Pokemon is a Pidgey, and continue on my way, with no new catches. I find a Pokemon Center next to the entrance to a cave. Mt. Moon. I take a few steps inside and catch a Zubat that I name STRAHD. I backtrack so that I can train him up to a point where he can survive the trials of the mountain.

I encounter a Spearow. It. Must. Die. Swearing an oath to slaughter every last one of them, I start with this one. The Spearow are a blight upon the face of Kanto, and they killed my ally, my friend, Medicine.

I now stand at the entrance to Mt. Moon, trying to convince myself to enter, fearing for my friends' survival.

Record:

Yellowmusk (Bulbasaur) Lvl 14

Achierei (Pidgey) Lvl 13

Nazrin (Rattata) Lvl 6

Wriggle (Butterfree) Lvl 13

Medicine (Beedrill) Lvl 11

Strahd (Zubat) Lvl 12

--

January 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

of course you couldn't run in your old shoes. your old shoes weren't *running shoes.* duh.

--

The destructor has gone

January 26, 2011 at 5:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Well, why not? Is there some law that says I can't run in shoes that aren't running shoes? Can't I take my shoes off and run barefoot?

--

January 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

NO! you must run in running shoes! you must conform!

--

The destructor has gone

January 26, 2011 at 6:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments