Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Nick's Crystal Nuzlocke Run

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

yeah, if they had just like... accosted Harmony in slowpoke well, since they're such a big, bad criminal organization and all, they'd have taken over the world by now. but no, they know how to get rid of her... LETS PLAY POKMAN WITH HER!!1! HURR DURR

then again, there are no guns in the american version of pokemon. they have them in japan though... maybe japanese pokemon makes more sense. i doubt it though.

--

The destructor has gone

December 27, 2010 at 7:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

UPDATE: i forgot my Saints are playing the Falcons in a HUGE monday night football game tonight. therefore, if i do play radio tower tonight, it'll be very late, so don't look for my next update until tomorrow morning at the earliest.

--

The destructor has gone

December 27, 2010 at 7:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

okay.

--
December 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

MasterAshinator at December 27, 2010 at 9:14 PM

okay.

thank god, i'm so glad i have your approval. i was about to skip the game to go play but since you made that comment, i get to watch. thank you so much.

--

The destructor has gone

December 27, 2010 at 10:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Saints won a close game against the alleged best team in the NFC. at their home, i might add.

27DEC10

Last Save: Goldenrod City

Jack lv.36

Birdo lv.18 (he's just a flyer at this point)

Rocky lv.31

Zaprong lv.40

Shadow lv.30

u jelly? lv.32

basically all i did was cleared the radio tower, but as you can see i got significant experience points for Jack (who evolved!) and Jelly, and even managed to bump Zaprong up to 40.

almost lost Jack in his last battle as a quilava, vs Francis. i was at 33 HP and his last was the sneasel. i stay in, flame wheel doesn't kill, and he gets a CRIT (of course) with faint attack... AND I STILL DON'T DIE! FUCK YOU, HAX!

although it was quite stupid of me, and it almost cost me my starter. again. i'm really glad sneasel sucks in this generation.

afterwards, i grinded with Shadow til he got to 30 and learned bite. the friendship lady now says he's "friendly towards" me, which i think is the step below "really trusts you," which is where he evolves at. i'm in no rush though... i'm gonna wait til it's time to take the elite four before i panic and throw money away buying drugs for him. and, of course, i have to do it before lv.36, when espeon gets psybeam. an espeon with no psychic attacks is not that great.

i can go after suicune whenever i want, but ultra balls don't go on sale until blackthorn city, so tomorrow i go through ice cave and get to blackthorn first. then i may challenge clair, i may attempt suicune, i may clear route 45 first, i may do dark tunnel, i may do mt. mortar... ice cave will be first, and that's all i know. tomorrow will be an interesting day, that's for sure.

--

The destructor has gone

December 28, 2010 at 1:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

don't be a smartass :p

can't wait to know what you decide to do :)

--
December 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

MasterAshinator at December 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM

don't be a smartass :p

can't wait to know what you decide to do :)

but that's what i'm good at

--

The destructor has gone

December 28, 2010 at 1:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i lost some friends today, but i gained so much in the process.

28DEC10

Jack lv.36

Birdo lv.18

Rocky lv.31

Zaprong lv.45

Shadow lv.33

Pete Wentz (Suicune) lv.40

i didn't catch anything in ice cave, but i got some nice items. two different drugs, which i gave to Shadow to increase his happiness. also got the nevermeltice which i knew would be instrumental in beating clair.

i get to blackthorn and buy a few ultra balls, then head south with the lv.30 Ole Red (the red gyarados) in my lead. i saw that ursaring is the only thing that appears in dark cave at lv.30... so i used a repel and ran around until i saw one. i caught it, i named her Very Large after the Very Large Bear (inside joke).

i didn't have much else to do at this point. dark cave wasn't going to help me level up. nothing in route 46 was gonna help me, so i left it untouched (for now). can't do mt. mortar without waterfall, which i can't use til after clair. so it was clair or suicune now. i should have gone after suicune. well... maybe. i'm not sure, because that was ugly too. but it doesn't matter now, because i went after clair.

Zaprong OHKOed one dragonair. two. thre- damn it. the third hung on by a thread, and t-waved him. i thought about giving him a przcureberry to prevent this, but i thought the OHKOs on the dragonairs were more important so i went with nevermeltice (i still call bullshit on the third one living. the were all lv.37, Zaprong was 43 plus the ice). so in comes the kingdra and i go to my backup plan: Ole Red. ever since i first played silver back in winter 2000, when i was nine years old, i have named the red gyarados Ole Red. it's just what i do. he's able to take everything kindgra decides to dish out, and gets off two dragon rages to take her to yellow.

sigh. it's at just the weirdest point on the scale where i dont...THINK... a third will kill. but. she looks too healthy, i don't think she'll heal. and a t-punch from Zaprong will sure as hell do more than 40 damage. so at this point, again, the key here is that i'm SURE she won't heal, i switch Ole Red out and go to fodder (YelowDucky, the psyduck, named after a mini-meme). EXCEPT SHE HEALS. what the fuck clair? it's at like 35% HP, and you use a hyper potion? fuck you, that ruins everything.

because i brought in a lv.7 psyduck, there's not shit i can do. so i let it die and now i have to pick something to go into a fully healthy lv.40 kingdra. well shit. i have a lv.43 electabuzz, who'd be great if he weren't under half health and paralyzed. i have a banged-up and 10 levels-lower gyarados. and then there's Jelly. my only hope. i bring him in, he gets a sludge bomb off and it poisons! that was HUGE. that residual damage is the only thing that brought that kingdra down without costing me more than it did. BUT... she got a crit with surf, then used a dragonbreath as i kept whittling it down with sludge bomb. i knew Jelly was hurt and i knew a hyper beam was coming, but i didn't have anything else to DO. whatever i brought in was gonna die to that hyper beam.

so Jelly took it himself.

this cost me my friend, my epic tentacruel that took out jasmine's steelix, but it sealed the game for me. as long as Zaprong doesn't get parahaxed, the recharge turn guarantees t-punch to kill (with a little help from poison, Jelly's last gift to me). i turn out not to be paralyzed and Zaprong clinches it for me.

so then what does clair do? "good game, here's your badge and free TM, because i'm not a little bitch and i know how to lose like a dignified human being." right? NO. there's been a mistake, and now i have to go into her fucking cave and get her fucking dragon fang and talk to her fucking grandma and take her fucking quiz. maybe it just struck me as being particularly bad since it came right after losing my friend in an epic match i wasn't sure i was going to win, but FUCK YOU CLAIR! how the hell does someone at her level of emotional maturity become the most powerful gym leader in johto? whose dick did she have to suck to get that job, because i KNOW she didn't earn it. fuck you clair. whatever. IRL, i would've choked a bitch and taken my damn badge by force, but Harmony is nicer than that (and slightly limited by the game's rather linear programming). so i go to the cave, with only 5 pokemon and careful to use repels every step of the way so no one can say this wasn't legit, and answered her damn questions right and got the extremespeed dratini. there's plenty more i could say about clair, and i started to, but let's just leave it at that.

so now that i have all my badges, the first thing i do is fly down to new bark town and get my master ball from elm. i'm still gonna try to catch suicune without it, but i HAVE to have this thing. especially now that Jelly is dead. plus, Zaprong's ice punch has now shown itself to be potentially insufficient against dragons even while OPed and even with nevermeltice, so a second source of ice is important to me now.

i look at my party and see a glaring weakness: i have no way to give suicune a status condition. the Very Large Bear knows lick, but i don't think she can take more than one or two hits from suicune, so i don't wanna rely on that as my only source of paralysis. i go to route 44, a route i'd previously left untouched, and caught a bellsprout who i named Hell's Bell. my initial plan was to level him up to 30 or so, make him a victreebel (sorry, Heath...) and rely on him to stun spore or sleep powder the whole match. then i remembered gust. for some dumbass, bullshit reason, suicune knows gust. how the hell is a water dog gonna make a gust of wind appear? what is he gonna fart on me or something? bullshit. it also ruins my plan.

then i remember Dracona, the extremespeed dratini. she knows thunderwave, which is even better because it's 100% accurate. and if i evolve her into dragonair, she should be able to take some hits, as she resists water and gust isn't that threatening unless you're weak to flying. so i grind... for over an hour... until she hits lv.30 and evolves into dragonair. now, reluctantly, i'm ready.

i go back to blackthorn and buy 70. mother. fucking. ultra. balls. i am NOT gonna let articuno happen all over again. i knew it wasn't mathematically possible to use 70 ultra balls in that fight, but i was more sending a message than anything. that little shit was NOT getting away from me.

those damn monks with their eevee forms wasted about 5 minutes of my time, between the battles and their fucking 15-mile long dialogue boxes. although it DID result in 2 level ups for the already-overleveled Zaprong, which i'm not gonna complain about. now it's go time.

i lead with Dracona, and t-wave immediately. now no matter what, it's got a status condition. three dragon rages gets it to the red, but it also gets Dracona dangerously low, so i gotta switch to Ole Red. at this point, i'm just chunking ultra balls. it took only ten tries, and i lost Krabtastic and the Very Large Bear in the process. but on the tenth ball, when i was about to have to sacrifice Ole Red, it went in. i couldn't think of anything to name suicune, and i was listening to Fall Out Boy at the time, so i just named him Pete Wentz because it fits within 10 characters.

this all took place right before 6, so after all the drugs i gave him and all the running around i did today, i figured i'd squeeze in one last level up for Shadow before nightfall (espeon only evolves during the day). and son of a bitch... at 5:53, at level 33, he evolved into espeon! sweet! still 3 levels to go before he learns a psychic move, but that's not a problem.

whew... what a day. tomorrow, i go around and grind a bit and do everything i can before the elite four (mt. mortar is about the only thing i have left...). i do not plan to take on the elite four tomorrow, i think i'll wait a day or two and make a big deal out of it like last time, giving everyone an opportunity to follow me live on group chat. so for now, clear thursday night if you can, for that's the tentative time i have penciled in for that to take place.

the heroic sacrifices of YelowDucky the psyduck, Krabtastic the krabby, Very Large the ursaring, and especially, u jelly? the tentacruel, will not be forgotten and were instrumental to Harmony's reaching this far into her ultimate quest for glory.

BESs

she and i both thank you all.

seven pokemon have died to this faggotry since the fated christmas eve upon which this journey was started.

let's keep it at seven.

--

The destructor has gone

December 28, 2010 at 8:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i'm not loving the lack of commenting on my run, guys. i rushed this just for you =/

29DEC10

Last Save: Mahogany Town

Jack lv.36

Birdo lv.18

Rocky lv.31

Zaprong lv.45

Shadow lv.40

Pete Wentz lv.42

today was my lightest day yet, as i'm running out of things to do.

i went into the grass on route 46 for the first time, during the day, with repels and an exactly lv.25 pokemon at my lead. this guaranteed me to run into graveler, donphan, or skarmory. i got donphan. i would've preferred graveler, honestly. what is it with Crystal not wanting to give me anything from that evolutionary line? maybe because i used a golem in my LeafGreen run, Crystal is trying to make me be more creative.

seriously, my luck works in extremes. everything works out either the best way possible or the worst way possible. it sucks, to be honest.

anyway, then i ran through mt. mortar and whirl islands to collect free shit. i'm gonna run the elite four like i did last time; all items are allowed except revives, and only if i picked it up on my journey. i can't buy healing items and if it dies, it's still dead.

i counted up my loot afterwards and based on my calculations, i can fully heal my pokemon about 20 times. that should be more than plenty. and that's not even counting victory road, as i still have yet to even touch Kanto. hopefully i'll have plenty of stuff left over for red, too ^.^

and yes... i did use repels every step of the way, in both dungeons. meaning i got tyrogue from the karate king (nicknamed him Champ) and i can still get lugia in whirl islands.

other than that, i just did a little grinding... got Shadow up to where he learns psybeam, and then some. now i'm seriously considering just going to 47 with him to teach him psychic (that'd make me feel loads better about the elite four... in fact... that might allow me to do a true no-items run). got Pete Wentz a few levels, and i even levelled up Dracona and Ole Red a little bit, just in case either makes their way onto my final team.

that's it for the exciting updates, til friday at least. i've decided i'm definitely gonna go after lapras, even though i haven't decided if i'm gonna use him on my final team. so now you can bump back my elite four attempt til saturday night at the earliest. don't wanna do it friday night, as i'm sure everyone will have new year's plans.

so, tomorrow, i guess it's just more grinding. i may not even post, or if i do, it'll probably just be my pokemon and their levels. the only good level-up spot i have is route 46, and only Shadow, Pete Wentz, and Zaprong can consistently OHKO the stuff there. so those will probably continue to be the only guys i level up. i think i'll focus on Shadow... as i mentioned earlier, it'd be sweet if he knew psychic.

--

The destructor has gone

December 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

HOLY SHIT I GOT POKERUS

in Crystal, this is as rare as encountering three shiny pokemon.

i... i don't know what to do! my entire party is infected, and i stuffed them all in a PC box so the virus won't go away.

well, now i know what i'll be doing tomorrow: researching the effects of pokerus as it pertains to generation 2, then hopefully EV training my team!

i think i just broke the challenge.

--

The destructor has gone

December 30, 2010 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I don't think PokeRus breaks the rules. Nice going on getting though!

I am reading you updates btw, but not commenting because I still haven't finished my HG run story and I don't want to spoil things.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 30, 2010 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

yeah i didn't mean break as in like, the rules, i just meant stuff like i hatched an elekid from my odd egg and now i've got pokerus... you couldn't duplicate this run in a thousand tries, even if you were trying to. Zaprong looks to be able to OHKO lance's entire team by herself, and she shouldn't exceed lv.50 in the process.

although i'm glad you commented here; i was hoping you could better explain not only pokerus in generation 2 but also EVs. i googled various sites and i couldn't make practical sense out of any of it. i haven't touched my game today because i don't wanna lose pokerus. lemme show you one line in particular that puzzled me, lemme dig up the actual quote...

"Though the virus is gone, its positive effects will remain, most specifically the ability for that Pokemon to gain double EVs."

am i reading this right? even after the virus has worn off, the double EV thing stays? that can't be true, can it?

--

The destructor has gone

December 30, 2010 at 7:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

playa, i grind

30DEC10

Jack lv.36

Birdo lv.18

Rocky lv.31

Zaprong lv.47

Shadow lv.47

Pete Wentz lv.44

so i did the unthinkable, out of boredom really: Zaprong and Shadow are both lv.47, meaning they now have STAB t-bolt and psychic, respectively. i didn't take Pete Wentz quite as far because i'm noticing significantly slower level ups than i got with the other two, even though he got just as many gravelers as they did. he must need more exp per level up since he's a legendary. but 44 is enough.

any more leveling up, and i'd feel bad. there's no point in making everyone level 50, for instance. but i think i did the maximum amount of grinding for what a reasonable person could expect to do without devoting half their life to it. Jack and Rocky will be the focus on the way to indigo plateau, but Shadow, Zaprong, and Pete are already as high as they need to be.

looking at the matchups... some combination of those three guys can pretty much OHKO the entire elite four. therefore, i don't think i'll even have to use healing items! i'll bring them along, and i'll use em in case of an emergency (i won't risk a friend's life to just to say i did it no-items) but i'm not sure i'll need a single damn one.

because those three are gonna effectively carry my team, i really don't care that Rocky is underleveled anymore. juuuust in case though, i think i'll leave him behind and bring fodder in his place. just because Rocky really won't contribute anything, and so i'd rather have something useless die rather than lose him.

i'm currently grinding Dracona and Ole Red, i'll do this for the rest of the night til i get tired of it. they're both in the mid-30s right now, and one or both could wind up on the final roster.

in other news, HOT DAMN pokerus is definitely working its magic! i've noticed DRASTIC changes in my pokemon's stats since infection. i sorta figured out how EVs work in this version, and i gotta say i like the new system infinitely better. this one is just confusing.

but as for pokerus, i managed to infect a few backups with it, so i'll definitely be able to share the love with every pokemon i catch for the rest of the game. level 60 lugia with pokerus-enhanced stats against red? um, yes please.

BESs

tomorrow, i'm still going to get lapras, but now i'm back to thinking i won't use him. afterwards, i go into kanto, clear out victory road, and make my final preparations for the elite four! which, again, i will NOT be attempting tomorrow, no matter what. it does look like a lock for saturday night though, as long as people are free (should be; i've never heard of anyone with plans on the night of jan. 1st. you get all your partying done the night before, right?)

--

The destructor has gone

December 30, 2010 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

To my knowledge PokeRus works the same in Crystal as all the other games, once someone catches it they continue to gain double EV's the rest of their life until they are fillled.

The difference from having it in Crystal instead of any other generation is this; You know how you can only put 255 EVs in a stat with a grand total of 510 EVs across all stats? That is untrue in Gen 2. In Gen 2 one or both of these things happens (because it has been a while since I read about this); I believe you can put a total of 1020 EVs in a Poke, double of these newer gens or you can put all 510 in one stat. Possibly both. I know it is one of those because I read old Smogon battle tacktics on Gen 2 and the Pokes were the most broken things ever.

Hope that helps, makes sense, causes a seizer. 

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Cecil-Jacobs at December 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM

To my knowledge PokeRus works the same in Crystal as all the other games, once someone catches it they continue to gain double EV's the rest of their life until they are fillled.

The difference from having it in Crystal instead of any other generation is this; You know how you can only put 255 EVs in a stat with a grand total of 510 EVs across all stats? That is untrue in Gen 2. In Gen 2 one or both of these things happens (because it has been a while since I read about this); I believe you can put a total of 1020 EVs in a Poke, double of these newer gens or you can put all 510 in one stat. Possibly both. I know it is one of those because I read old Smogon battle tacktics on Gen 2 and the Pokes were the most broken things ever.

Hope that helps, makes sense, causes a seizer. 

sweet, that means i don't have to obsessively stuff my main battlers in PC boxes every night, since i've got carriers stuck back. thanks for clearing that up for me!

--

The destructor has gone

December 31, 2010 at 2:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Crystal is definitely in "dere" mode for you now. I'll try to be on for your thrashing of the Elite Four. Definitely going to be a battle to see (Or rather, hear about (Well, read about (Hmm, anyway to stream it live? (One more nested parentheses, just because))))

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

December 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

it's time.

31DEC10

Last Save: Indigo Plateau

Jack lv.40

Zaprong lv.50

Shadow lv.48

Pete Wentz lv.44

Filler TBD

Filler TBD

i caught the lapras in union cave, it took like 7 freaking ultra balls but i got it. didn't do anything with her though, i'm confident a level 50 ice puncher will take out the dragonites.

then i cleared out routes 26 and 27, and threw Francis on the GROUND one last time. i didn't encounter any wild pokemon in victory road, i'm too scared to attempt to get the lv.40 graveler. if it weren't for selfdestruct... damn.

anyway, as you can see i did a little leveling up, and i gave 2 rare candies to Zaprong just to make SURE he can OHKO the dragonites. i will attempt to beat the elite four tomorrow night, late, probably. leave a comment and tell me what time is best for you guys.

also, CJ, if you're reading this, i wanted your opinion on a few matchups (or anyone else, if you're confident you know the answer).

i'm sure he'll level up a time or two before this happens, but in your opinion, will a psychic from a level 48 espeon OHKO a lv.46 machamp and a lv.45 gengar? those are the only two pokemon i'm worried about.

--

The destructor has gone

December 31, 2010 at 10:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Vesicant Lemur at December 31, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Crystal is definitely in "dere" mode for you now. I'll try to be on for your thrashing of the Elite Four. Definitely going to be a battle to see (Or rather, hear about (Well, read about (Hmm, anyway to stream it live? (One more nested parentheses, just because))))

unfortunately, i can't stream it =/ this is part of the reason why i wish i had played this on an emulator, then i might be able to. but without a capture card, i'd have to hold my SP up to a webcam, and i'm sure the quality of that wouldn't even be worth watching. sorry, i know following in on group chat isn't the most exciting thing.

PS your battle with parentheses there made me lawl XD

--

The destructor has gone

December 31, 2010 at 10:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

I don't think I'm doing anything tomorrow, so anytime is fine.

Two years of comp sci and hard maths have taught me the value and versatility of parentheses.

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

January 1, 2011 at 2:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

it'll be later rather than sooner, that's all i know.

also, i posted this on facebook but i think it's appropriate to leave it here, too... is it worth following my run live tomorrow? there's a very real possibility that i OHKO everything, no lie. if everything goes to hell in a handbasket, i MAY lose a poke, but i put the odds of that happening at about 5%. there is virtually no chance i will fail this run at any point other than the battle with Red himself. i'll gladly do it live on group chat if anyone at all is interested (it just makes it feel all the more epic to me), but i want to tell you all up front that it may not be very exciting at all; i don't wanna waste your time. even if you plan on skipping out, please tell me before tomorrow night if you will or won't show. i promise it won't hurt my feelings if you just don't care, considering i did somewhat OP myself for this =/

--

The destructor has gone

January 1, 2011 at 3:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments