Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Heartgold

Mitsuo-Dexl

So I gots myself another copy...and its awesome, like always...

But I have a question.  Why did no one tell me that Slowpoke is actually a decent Pokemon?  I always assumed they were trash.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

December 1, 2010 at 6:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

slowbro is an awesome physical wall, slowking is a special wall. their bulk and access to a recovery move (slack off) along with good defensive typing makes them good walls, plus both have access to a nice set-up move (curse for slowbro, calm mind and nasty plot for slowking)

--

The destructor has gone

December 1, 2010 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

You never asked? The Slow's are awesome Pokes, great for Pokemon Game runs because of their great typing and wide movepools. 

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 2, 2010 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

what they said. lol

--
December 2, 2010 at 12:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i don't use them so much while going through a run, they're just too slow. i pretty much just build a team of sweepers, i just make them so awesome that they OHKO 85~90% of the time. i have no need for walls and certainly no need for anything as slow as slowpoke/bro/king. now in competitive play, Ash and CJ will be the first to tell you my teams are usually a little wall-heavy, even. and i think the slows are very underrated in that regard.

--

The destructor has gone

December 2, 2010 at 12:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Sweep sweep sweep.  And get OHKO'd by the first trainer that you happen to not OHKO because you have no defenses?  Yeah, not for me.  lol  Though I use Slowpoke's slowness to an advantage...I curse the shit out of him.  +4 Atk/+4 Def is kind of hard to beat, and since Slowpoke already goes slower then most pokes, -4 Speed is no big deal at all.

My personal preference isn't necessarily kill as fast as possible, its having reliable pokes whom I don't have to babysit with items or constant trips to the Pokecenter.  Its just my preference, and I am sure both work equally well.

Besides, isn't it normal to run through a game with pure sweepers?  I mean...what's the point of a wall, since it's not like AI Trainers have any real strategy good enough to beat you.  *shrugs*

So, I have an idea for a team I wanna build when I beat Heartgold.  It's a UU team as of right now, but I want to use a lead Ambipom, Physical Wall Weezing, and a Special Wall Drapion (mainly to support the aforementioned Weezing).  My question is, could I fit a Baton Pass style sweep into this team?  (for instance, set-up Curses with Umbreon, switch to either a Special or Physical Sweeper)?

--

December 2, 2010 at 5:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

if you know what you're doing you shouldn't get OHKOed by anything in the main game...

--

The destructor has gone

December 2, 2010 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Getting past the elitism, you ignored my question...lol

--

December 2, 2010 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Not the easiest question to answer, but I will take a stab at it.

Simply? Yes, you could. Since you have 3 slots left Baton Passing would be possible, having a passer then two potential pass-ies.

Complex answer. No, at least no it wouldn't work too well. Baton Pass teams are completely based on the Baton Passers. They put a majority of focus on the Baton Passer and Pass-ies, and often they do Baton Pass chains which are unstoppable when done right, but you don't bring walls or anything of the sort to the team. 

For more understanding into Baton Pass I would read this Article.  http://www.smogon.com/dp/articles/baton_pass_chains

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 2, 2010 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Thanks, CJ.  I'll read up on the article.  Do you have any suggestions for the three slots on my team?

And sorry for being an ass, Nick.  I would like your input on this matter too

--

December 2, 2010 at 8:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Do you want your team to be entirely UU or do you want to attempt OU? 

Also is anyone reading my HG updates? It isn't so much that I am missing your feedback as I want to make sure you know what I am doing tonight because if no one shows up I will be the saddest wooper on the block.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 2, 2010 at 8:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

it'd definitely have to stay in UU to work. you rarely see "baton pass teams" anymore, although baton pass is still used to a lesser extent.

my advice would be to read the article CJ posted (as much as i hate smogon, they are still a wealth of information for things like these), then pick your three other BPers/sweepers that you wanna use. as CJ and i have both touched on though, you should probably only look at UU pokes or below, as i highly doubt this would fly in OU play.

of course, if you're playing me you can use OU pokes if you want. i don't follow smogon's tiers. i don't even respect all their ubers. so it couldn't hurt to glance at OU pokes too.

on the OTHER side of the coin, if you're passing curse specifically, most of the higher class OU sweepers don't benefit from curses because they rely on speed mixed with good offense to win. so that won't be an issue if you plan to run cursepass anyway.

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2010 at 12:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

@CJ:  To be honest, I keep forgetting to go back and read your updates.  Everytime I check, I'm in class or something, so I really can't read...and then it slips my mind...lol

@Nick:  I think I've decided to save the BP idea for another team, and feature an Umbreon in that one.  Who knows, maybe by then I'll have a different use for Umbreon.  Maybe something that'll actually be fun, eh?

I'm thinking since in my current team idea, Ambipom is my lead/revenge killer, and I have both a physical and special wall, I'll need sweepers, and maybe a spinner, since I feal like the team will be wrecked bad with stealth rocks and spikes.  So maybe I'll pick up a durable physical/special sweeper, and a spinner.  Any suggestions?

--

December 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

starmie can be a special sweeper or a t*nk, and can rapid spin. tentacruel is a very nice special wall that can spin, forretress is a physical wall that can not only spin but set up any of the three entry hazards, as well as explode. blastoise is an underrated wall (as i'm sure CJ will tell you =P) that can spin as well. other less common options are sandslash and donphan, but i like any of the four aforementioned options better.

because of the abundance of good fighting types these days, umbreon is really only good for curse passing and wish passing. it's still the best curse passer in the game, but most people prefer vaporeon for passing wishes these days.

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2010 at 12:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

If you are going with the walls you already listed, Weezing and Drapion, then you really don't need to worry about Spikes/SR or Toxic Spikes  unless you plan to switch a lot or bring a Bug/Ice/Flying/Fire pokemon to your team. Because as it sits now no one in your team is weakness to SR, Weezing will probably even like having some of it's HP taken out upon entry so Pain Split Deals more. 

Nick is right though, fighting types in OU or here on this site a problem for Umbreons. Luckly Weezing coveres that weakness very well, and your two walls complement each other surprisingly well. Like makes me want to try them out surprisingly well!

So, instead of a Spinner I would go for a Set-up sweeper, a Spec'd or Banded Sweeper, and then something extra that you find super-fun.  (This is how I make teams BTW Nick.) Houndoom seems like a great choice on this team because it's main worries, Earthquake and Fighting attacks are taken by Weezing. Pack a Vaporeon with Water Absorb (Or another Water-absorber) and the thing is safe from all pain. Of course, being Fire type he won't like SR so maybe a spinner would be a good idea... (lol at backtracking)

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

So....

My team is lvl 21-22.  And I challenged Morty, to scope out what level pokes he has himself...and you know, my team got swept by his level 21 Haunter.  Because it hit Hypnosis every single time.  No fail.  Not once.  And once I ran out of awakenings and full heals, he started dream eating and healing all the damage I had managed to put on him.  When I finally killed him, I had to then fight his level 25 Gengar.  Who, ironically, went down like a bitch.  It was his final level 23 Haunter that finally killed both my Machop (which pretty much solo'd the Gengar) and my Sudowodo, who was already really low because he took most of the brunt from the lvl 21 Haunter.

FML

--

December 4, 2010 at 2:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

it's okay. just a bump in the road. at least they weren't level 50-60

--
December 8, 2010 at 11:28 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Yeah.  Haven't played since.  Assassin's Creed took my life.  Figuratively.

--

December 10, 2010 at 12:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

If it was literally, that'd be really ironic.

--
December 14, 2010 at 1:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments