Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Chris' Ruby Nuzlocke Run

Vesicant Lemur

After reading the comics, I finally decided to take the Nuzlocke challenge.

I have a GBA, but no batteries, so I'm going to be playing on the PC using an emulator. Though it is tempting, I won't cheat. Except for the time accelerator that causes the game to run 800% faster, though I don't really consider that cheating. It just seems like cheating when you go from the end of a battle in the wild, to the pokemon center, heal up, and back into the wild for more grinding in less than 15 seconds.

Because I haven't played Pokemon in several years, I'm just going to be following the original two rules and one of my own.

1. Any Pokémon that faints is considered dead, and must be released.

2. The player may only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area, and none else. If the first Pokémon encountered faints or flees, there are no second chances.

3. Potions and other healing items are banned during battles with trainers/gym leaders/etc., but not during battles with wild pokemon.

I will also be naming all of my Pokemon.

I better get this thing started then.

Look out Hoenn region! This time traveller's 'bout to bust yo shit up!

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

November 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

sweet! i'll add you to the list of active runs on the homepage.

one quick question, healing outside of battle, are you allowing for that? or can you only use items in a battle with a wild pokemon?

that's an interesting take, i've never heard of anyone using that particular stipulation regarding items. i'm looking forward to seeing how this goes for you!

i gotta say, you picked the hardest version IMO. Hoenn is a bitch in any version, but at least in Emerald and Sapphire, you can catch Rayquaza and Kyogre respectively and they break the elite four. it'll be a challenge for sure, hell, i did a normal run of Ruby last year and it was a challenge.

November 25, 2010 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

I'm avoiding healing items in "Special" areas. Inside gyms, caves, forests and such. But outside battle on one of the Routes, if I'm just level grinding, I'll use healing items if I'm too lazy to go back to the Center.

I've actually never played Ruby before, even though I have it for the GBA, so this is all new to me. Luckily, I have my time accelerator. I just got a whole team of 6 pokemon from level 3 to level 10-16 in 5 hours and I haven't even hit the first gym yet. I'm actually starting to wonder if it is cheating. Or is that rate of leveling up normal during a grind session?

Here's a log of what happened (Now available in Tweet sizes)

---

Made a male character named James and found out my character has a terrible mother. Makes her only child ride in the back of a moving van... what the hell?

Chose a Torchic and named it Tolkien.

Nearly lost my first battle against May because I didn't bother to go back to the Pokemon Center to heal up. Thank god for crits.

Before I start my grand adventure, risking life and limb, Mom makes sure to give me some RUNNING SHOES that'll make me run ABNORMALLY FAST!

Caught a lvl 3 male Wurmple on Route 101 and named it Niven.

Caught a lvl 3 male Zigzagoon on Route 103 and named it Gibson.

Caught a lvl 4 female Seedot on Route 102 and named it Meyer.

While level grinding, Meyer was reduced to a single hit point. That's what happens when your only offensive move requires the enemy to damage you!

Gibson seems to have picked up a nugget of solid gold...

Having owned a racoon before, I know from experience it's best not to question these things. To the Market!

$5000 for that thing. Nice.

Caught a lvl 4 male Taillow on Route 104 and named it Brooks.

Another Gold Nugget from Gibson.

Niven got poisoned during grinding. He was down to 5 HP when I got to the Pokemon Center.

Tolkien evolved into a Combusken. w00t.

Niven evolved into a Beautifly.

Caught a lvl 6 female Shroomish in the Petalburg Woods and named it Nina.

Gibson picked up an Ultra Ball. This dude is getting me some crazy loot.

Meyer finally evolved. She's still useless though.

---

I just kinda wrote all that down as I was playing. Not the most interesting format to read, I know.

--

November 26, 2010 at 1:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

for 5 hours of grinding, that sounds about right actually. i say carry on. all you're doing is removing some of the tediousness, the skill required is still there.

but two nuggets and an ultra ball from a zigzagoon, what the shit?? was he really that broken in RSE?

and hey, i formatted my run the same as yours, only with emotion =P we can't all write entertaining narratives like CJ... says the only English major on the forum... who needs to at least start on two papers before the end of thanksgiving break...

but i digress.

a lot.

--

The destructor has gone

November 26, 2010 at 2:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Alright, just wanna make sure it's kosher.

As long as I have Gibson in my party, I'll never have to worry about money. Getting vendor trash left and right from the little guy.

I read CJs run today. Holy shit, that's amazing stuff!

Tried to put a little more emotion into this update close to the end of it.

---

Decided to make my way to Rustboro. Got TM09, Bullet Seed, from some kid and gave it to Meyer. Now she's no longer completely useless. Right now, my best bets against Roxanne are Meyer, Nina and Tolkien. Everyone else just has Normal or Flying attacks.

Obtained HM01, Cut, from a man calling himself the Cutter. Instantly reminded of the macro "Is it still emo if I cut other people?"

Caught a lvl 7 male Nincada on Route 116 and named it Ryukishi07. An easy battle, just three tackles from Niven to get it into the yellow.

Oh my god... Ryukishi just fell in love with a wild Skitty. Dude, it would never work, just give it up. Guess I'll have to send Meyer to handle this one...

Damn it! Ryukishi was killed by a Taillow. It used Peck and got a critcal hit. One-hit kill.

Goodbye Ryukishi. I barely knew you.

"The voice that was coming from the animal trail

where cidadas cry, is no more"

I played 'Higurashi no Naku Koro ni' in tribute to his passing. A terrible irony.

I was surprised when I checked my party and found Ryukishi was still in there. I was expecting to find a cold, empty slot, but then remembered he didn't actually 'die' in-game, just fainted. Didn't realize I had gotten that into it.

Deposited Ryukishi into a PC Box I named Valhalla. Brooks is back on the team now. Going to be more careful while leveling up Nina and Meyer.

Using a combo of Leech Seed and Absorb, Nina is able to stay at full health throughout the grinding battles. And because of her Effect Spore ability, there's a chance for Paralysis, Sleep or Poison on contact. I imagine these poor wild pokemon, covered in spored, sapping their strength, able to put up only the feeblest resistance until their bodies are sucked of their last bit of health. It seems fitting to Nina's modest nature that she would fight, not by physically pounding her enemy to a pulp, but sucking them dry. Both terrifying and beautiful. I wonder how she'll fair against Roxanne...

Dammit Gibson, where are you getting all these Nuggets? Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I just wanna make sure you're not robbing banks while my back is turned or anything.

Goddamn, Meyer is a monster with Bullet Seed. It scares me that she has a jolly nature. She stands atop the bodies of her fallen enemies firing seeds into crowds of helpless pokemon all while wearing a cheshire smile.

Here's the party right now:

Tolkien (Combusken) Lvl 16

Brooks (Taillow) Lvl 15

Meyer (Nuzleaf) Lvl 18

Gibson (Zigzagoon) Lvl 14

Niven (Beautifly) Lvl 12

Nina (Shroomish) Lvl 13

Going to level up Nina a little more, than go take on Roxanna, though I could probably wipe her just using Meyer. Oh well, doesn't hurt to be safe.

--

November 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i'm glad to see other people carrying on my tradition of playing a tribute song whenever a pokemon dies ^.^

RIP Ryukishi07

--

The destructor has gone

November 26, 2010 at 8:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Managed to one-shot everything in the gym with Nina's Mega Drain except Roxanne's Nosepass, which she barely kept alive with potions (cheating bitch). Nina entered lvl 15 and left 157exp away from lvl 18.

After dealing with the Team Magma Grunt, caught a level 7 male Whismur in the Rusturf Tunnel and named it Bethke.

The company that digging the Tunnel is very unrealistic. They've actually completely halted a multi-million dollar operation because it would have a negative effect on the local pokemon. Either there is some heavy government regulation going on here (unlikely, since there is no government to speak of as far as I've seen) or the head of this company is a compassionate, altruistic human being (also unlikely, since we all know CEOs are heartless zombies)

To show his thanks, the guy from the Devan Corp gave me a Great Ball... Dude, I find better loot on my morning walks! If you want random kids to keep doing your dirty work for you, you better start doling out some real goods here.

Oh, now you want me to be your errand boy?! Delivering packages... *grumblegrumble* No, you aren't going to change my mind by getting that old fart of a president of yours to ask me. Especially since he's asking me to go on an ADDITIONAL errand now. Not even for business, but a personal favor! Oh, what's this? You're giving me a GPS? Well that changes everything! I'd be glad to help you out!

Before I go, you guys should really look into hiring more competent researchers. All but one of these guys I talked to says their projects are currently shit.

Arrived on Dewford Island and quickly found out these guys are insane. First, some kid accosted me about whether or not "KIND WORK", quotations and all, was "in vogue". Not knowing what the hell he was talking about, I just said yes and now everyone on the freaking island is talking about it. I don't think any of them even know what it is...

The guy I'm supposed to be delivering this letter to is in Granite Cave somewhere, so I put on some repel and checked it out. Get down to the first basement and it wears off while I'm fumbling in the dark. I ran into a level 9 female Aron and sent out Gibson, the only pokemon I have that's not likely to kill it in one hit. Turns out that is more true than I thought. Normal attacks are shit against steel types, so it took a lot of work to catch. Named her Day. I think I'm going to like her.

Sent Meyer to the box and bringing Day out to train up.

And as soon as I go into the cave to grind, a fucking abra. Bah! I'm so tempted to throw an Ultra ball at this smug motherfucker! But I won't, because that would be against the rules...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUU

Day was killed by a level 10 Makuhita that was reduced to 1 HP. She was at full health and level 12, but it used Arm Thrust and only had to hit twice to kill her. I need to stop throwing pokemon against types they're weak against, even if they are higher level.

In her honer, I played "The Light Before We Land"

I sent out Tolkien and burned that fucker. It was overkill, but I don't really care. That victory song just is not appropriate right now...

Used Brooks to one-hit every pokemon in Brawly's gym, except his own. Those took two hits.

Damn it. Lost Bethke to an Aron. What did I just say about pitting pokemon against their weakness?

To honor him, I played "For Those About to Rock". Not exactly a sad song, but appropriate for the kind of pokemon he was.

3 Pokemon I've sent on their way to Valhalla now because of my stupidity... That's more than I expected, and I've only just beaten the second gym. This is looking to be a hard journey...

Decided to catch a Magikarp in the river Dewford City. Named her Behn. She's only a level 5 right now, but before I leave this fucking island, I'm making a Gyarados out of her. I will not leave here empty-handed.

And in what is probably record time, there she is.

Here's the team right now:

Tolkien (Combusken) Level 24

Brooks (Swellow) Level 22

Gibson (Zigzagoon) Level 14

Niven (Beautifly) Level 12

Meyer (Nuzleaf) Level 18

Behn (Gyarados) Level 20

In the Box:

Nina (Shroomish) Level 17

--

November 27, 2010 at 2:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

This is so very funny! I never even thought of most of the things you are bringing up, like how stupid it was to stop the cave expedition because it endangered Pokemon. This has made me chuckle many a time.

Also I love the use of their Nature as their personality. Great images there!

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

November 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Ah, thanks! Glad it's enjoyable. Though this one might not be so much...

---

Arrived at Slateport City, and no sooned did I step off the boat, every single person on that beach demanded battle. Me and Behn were happy to oblige.

(And that, dear children, is the story of why the beaches of our city are stained red)

Headed into the Seashore house and was surprised to find that even in there, the trainers of this city thirsted for battle. Instead of wiping them with Behn, I decided to use Niven. He and Gibson are falling behind and I can't have slackers on this team. It was a little risky, but he was at a type advantage, so I figured he'd be okay. The banter those people spouted was incredibly... awkward. "I enjoy HOT BATTLES!" says the buff sailor dude. And with Niven's naughty nature, I could just hear him in the back of my head going "Bow-chicka bow wow". How a Beautifly does that, I have no idea, but he somehow manages.

Went over to the Mueseum and found a whole line of Magma grunts outside. I was about to gear up for the biggest battle ever, but they were actually IN LINE to go to the mueseum. I thought this was a terrorist organization, what are they doing at a mueseum?

Remembered I had some package to deliver, but of course, it's never that easy. The guy wasn't there and I have to go find him.

Oh, the line for the mueseum cleared up, I guess I'll go check that out real quiHEY, it's that Magma grunt I beat up before. Apologizing and showering me with gifts... You guys are real pussies, you know that?

Oh, there Capt. Stern on the second level of the mueseum... And there's some Magma grunts gonna cause trouble. Behn, make mincemeat of them.

Now that they're dealt with, Team Magma's Maxie shows up. And he makes it quickly apparent that he is a retard.

Well, now that that nonsense is over, I'm going to Route 110 to catch a new pokemon. Ooh, a level 13 female Electrike. Hmm, gotta make sure I don't accidentally kill it, so I'll send out Gibson. Just two headbutts to bring her into the yellow should be enough... crap, she wasn't caught, guess I'll try a Great Ball... What the hell? That didn't work either... maybe weaken her a little more, just a tackle and HOLY SHIT that's way too far in the red for my comfort. I'll just use the Ultra ball and get this over with. Finally, caught her and named her Rand.

Sold all the vendor trash at the Pokemart (Meaning everything but potions, full heals, repels and escape ropes) and I now have $62621. I just pictured Gibson with a little hat and long sideburns...

Made my way to Mauville. Nothing of note happened.

Hmm, Wattson's pokemon are levels 20-23. Tolkien is level 27 right now and everyone else is about 20-ish. I think I can take him.

Challenged Wattson. I lost...

In honor of the lose of my entire party, Lilium.

Who's left:

Nina (Shroomish) Lvl 17

Brooks (Swellow) Lvl 22

I have Route 111, 117 and 118 I catch from right now and try to rebuild.

--

November 27, 2010 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

ohhhh shit dude... even Gibson??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

RIP Gibson, the most epic Zigzagoon of all time.

that genuinely makes me sad! i'm glad you're not giving up though. i probably would've ragequit. so if it helps, you're a bigger man than me. and your hair is more epic (just slightly)

--

The destructor has gone

November 27, 2010 at 8:37 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Yeah, I lost everyone but Nina and Brooks. I'm going to try and continue, but this really did a number on me. I can't tell if it's worse losing one at a time or all at once. I can't believe how attatched I'm getting to these guys.

---

Put Nina in the Pokemon Daycare and caught a male Roselia. Named it Ryba and put it in the daycare too and went on a solo grinding session with Brooks. When I passed by the Daycare a while later, the old man outside told me they had an egg... How are you supposed to handle this according to Nuzlocke rules?

I released all the pokemon that hatched from the eggs and took Ryba and Nina out of the daycare. Those two were fucking like rabbits in there.

Leveled up Nina to 33. She knows Rock Smash and Headbutt. This is about as ready as I can get I think. Time for a rematch...

And I won. It was very anti-climactic. Very unsatisfying. One-hit kills. A pyrrhic victory. This one Gym Leader tripled the population of Valhalla, now up to 9 pokemon. If I had just used Nina in the first place, instead of putting her in the box, this wouldn't have happened. Too late for that now.

After that, I just wandered aimlessly through the mountain side, trying to catch pokemon when I enter a new area, but easily killing most of them by accident. I trained my team to kill, now that's all they can do. I don't really remember what happened now. I eventually ended back at Rustboro City with no recollection of how I got here and 3 new pokemon.

I can grind these new guys up to match the rest of my crew, continue on and finish this, but not tonight.

The new crew:

Nina (Breloom) lvl 36

Ryba (Roselia) lvl 29

Brooks (Swellow) lvl 35

Thompson (Spinda) lvl 14

Miller (Swablu) lvl 17

Glazer (Solrock) lvl 14

--

November 27, 2010 at 9:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

that still has the makings of a potent team. flannery worries me, you need to find something to handle level 30 fire types ASAP. Nina will raep norman, so you shouldn't worry there. that swablu will eventually evolve into a great dragon-type wall that resists almost everything so that's good. solrock is wally too, so try to focus on raising fast, hard-hitters now.

as for the egg, if you caught a pokemon in the route with the daycare, it's no good, you can't use it. and once again i think it's quite admirable of you to try and carry on.

EDIT: derp, solrock. level it up and it should handle flannery just fine (if it has a rock move? i don't remember). try to get a backup though just in case. maybe use the old rod to fish up another magikarp and get a new gyara?

--

The destructor has gone

November 27, 2010 at 10:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Wow man, just wow. I am super-surprised that happened and my sympathy goes out to you. I too know what it is like to be wiped by a gym but I am surprised you got back up and went ahead anyway. I know I never did.

--

Ask me about my waifus

November 27, 2010 at 11:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i made Gibson a tributary picture and uploaded it to the EPIC album. use it if you deem it worthy.

--

The destructor has gone

November 28, 2010 at 12:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

I was quite inspired by your picture, and decided to make one for all my fallen.

This, along with a busy day dealing with meat-space, means I made no progress in the level-grinding. I'll return to the game tomorrow.

--

November 29, 2010 at 1:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

epic. can't wait for the next update!

--

The destructor has gone

November 29, 2010 at 3:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Okay, been busy/distracted by other things, but finally sat down to the grindstone and got some work done.

It's going to be one of the shorter updates unfortunately, but here it is

---

When I finally got back to my game, I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing next. Had to look it up online. Slightly embarassing.

Now with my next course of action known, I started grinding. Working my new team members until they had no more Power Point for any of their moves left, hit the Pokemon Center, then do it again, all while in time acceleration. Once the noobs were up to level with the rest, I headed to Mt. Chimney to deal with Team Magma and their retardation.

...They're trying to make the volcana erupt? While they're ON IT? Wow... What does Team Aqua try to do to it in Sapphire, and is it on this level of idiocy?

After dealing with them and taking the meteorite, I headed to Lavaridge pass and caught a lvl 19 Machop on the Jagged Pass. Named it Ackerman.

Deposited Ryba, Nina and Miller into the PC, just in case something goes horribly wrong again, I won't lose my whole team.

Recieved an egg from some old lady at the hot springs. Will she let me keep it when it hatches?

Glazer, my Solrock, is at lvl 36 now and knows rock slide. I think I can take on Flannery.

Oh my GOD, what is WITH this fucking place!? Is a maze really necessary?

Oh... well if the gym leader is that good looking, I don't mind a maze so much. Damn. I still one-hit her first two pokemon and eventually killed her last one when she ran out of Hyper Potions.

Well, time to crush the next gym, which apparantly is my dad. But I'll get to that next time.

Here's the team now:

Glazer (Solrock) lvl 40

Thompson (Spinda) lvl 29

Brooks (Swellow) lvl 35

Ryba (Roselia) lvl 29

Nina (Breloom) lvl 36

Miller (Swablu) lvl 21

Ackerman (Machop) lvl 19

--

November 30, 2010 at 11:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one taken aback by Flannery's hotness... i mean... dayum.

--

The destructor has gone

December 1, 2010 at 2:54 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Crimson DESTR0YA at December 1, 2010 at 2:54 AM

i'm glad to see i'm not the only one taken aback by Flannery's hotness... i mean... dayum.

You guys are perverts! No one is looking at her soft round breasts, rounded hips and thin waist.... with an inviting smile .... hug it when sleeping... warm.. I mean...dayum.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Cecil-Jacobs at December 1, 2010 at 9:21 AM

Crimson DESTR0YA at December 1, 2010 at 2:54 AM

You guys are perverts! No one is looking at her soft round breasts, rounded hips and thin waist.... with an inviting smile .... hug it when sleeping... warm.. I mean...dayum.

this comment is pure, raw, unadulterated, win. QotW

--

The destructor has gone

December 1, 2010 at 12:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments