Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > On the Contrary

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

After four years of waiting, Contrary Serperior is finally a thing. You can get one with a code, but only if you have a Japanese copy of ORAS, but new breeding mechanics mean Hidden Ability Snivys ought to be appearing on GTS and Wonder Trade soon.

So, let's discuss. Is this thing OP? I mean it takes a powerhouse move with a severe downside (Leaf Storm) and turns it into basically a Nasty Plot that oh by the way also hits for Base 130 plus STAB.

On the other hand, Serperior's special movepool is nothing short of absolutely pathetic. This thing is jealous of FLAREON when it comes to making a decent four-move set. Seriously, go to Bulbapedia and try to make a decent Special sweeper moveset for it. Here's what I've got:

Leaf Storm is the crux of the set. Besides Leaf Storm, a good Hidden Power is a necessity, not a luxury. Probably looking at HP Fire, which would love to be paired with a M!Zard Y or a Drought Ninetales, but HP Ground could work as well. After that, it's Dragon Pulse.

No, I was done. That's seriously it. STAB Leaf Storm, Hidden Power Fire or Ground, a move that's only SE against Dragon, and... ???

I guess it can set up its own sun with Sunny Day? It gets Knock Off which is always a good move, but wouldn't blasting boosted Special moves be a better use of the turn in almost any situation? It gets Mean Look as an Egg move which is actually interesting. Mean Look something that doesn't threaten you, Leaf Storm three times to get to +6, then sweep? It can also get Synthesis from ORAS tutors. That might actually be the way to go, considering Serperior's natural bulk and the likelihood of pairing it with Sun. But that's about it. The niche is powerful, SUPER powerful, but there's no room for creativity in the moveset whatsoever, short of what type of Hidden Power you have.

So... OP or no?

--

The destructor has gone

January 10, 2015 at 10:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

UPDATE: Contrary Serperior code now works for North American games. If you have ORAS, go to Mystery Gift, Get With Code, and enter the code "POKEMON497" to get one.

Good luck getting a nice Hidden Power if you opt to.

--

The destructor has gone

January 22, 2015 at 12:43 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments