Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > Boozahol

Vesicant Lemur

Beer. Ale. Cider. Mead. Wine. Brandy. Liquor. Spirits.

ALCOHOL!

It's a drink that's been with humanity for thousands of years. Possibly being one of our earliest accidental inventions and a factor (however small) in our turning to agriculture to get more of it.

So now, I'd like to engage all of you in a conversation about this beverage, both wonderful when used responsibly, and terrible when abused.

What are your favorite drinks?

Have you tried anything new recently you'd like to tell people about?

Any mixed drink recipes to share?

Or even stories of inebriation you're willing to share? (within reason, of course)

Basically, anything alcohol-related.

I can easily say my favorite beer so far is Rogue's Dead Guy Ale. I'm not terribly familiar with the beer-taster's lingo, so I can't really go in-depth about it. But it has a kick to it I've not found in many other beers.

There's a wonderful little nanobrewery in downtown Little Rock called Stone's Throw that is well worth the visit. You can get a platter with all their flavors in sizable glasses for (don't quote me on this) $12-18, and they're all good. After you're done, you can buy a 64 oz jug of your favorite for (Again, I can't remember exact price) ~$24.

Anyway, I think I've done enough ranting. I promise nobody is paying me to advertise or anything :P

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

December 5, 2014 at 6:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

My introduction to alcohol was in my first semester of college. My parents were of the "if you can die for your country at 18, you can drink at 18" mentality so they gave me the metaphorical keys to the liquor cabinet when I turned 18.

I'm a loser who never had people over or went anywhere, and there's really no point in drinking alone. What I did find it useful for, however, was as my first anxiety medication. I'll just come out and say that I never would have passed speech class without alcohol. Thankfully I got the speech professor who only assigned three speeches per year, but the tradeoff was that each speech was held to a higher standard, which upped the pressure of each (a tradeoff I still gladly took).

It was honestly a medication to me. On weekends I'd perform tests and experiments to find out just exactly how much I could drink and when to strike a perfect balance of lowered inhibitions and cognitive competency. Then I'd take that amount and spike a Gatorade or something with it (or, if I had vodka, just put that in a plain water bottle) and drink it at the right time before the presentation. By the letter of the rule I guess I was "abusing" it (and, yes, commiting a crime =O) but I got an A for the class and, more importantly, made it out of the class alive. I don't regret or apologize for it, I felt like it just brought me to everyone else's level. I'd later get some actual anxiety treatment, don't worry. That's just how I got by before I knew what I had was an actual medical problem I COULD get help for.

If you ever find yourself in a similar situation to mine, some pointers:

-Experimentation is a MUST for "medicinal" alcohol use. The last thing you need is either to drink too little and get up there only to realize your failsafe is failing, OR to drink too much and stumble up there an inebriated mess. Acquire more than you need well beforehand, and during free, alone time, measure exactly how much makes you feel what. No need in going any more exact than to the half ounce, but you will need to measure more precisely than just "beers" or "swallows."

-Remember to compensate for your mental handicap by staying alert and careful. Constantly remind yourself that you ARE drunk and that IS a bad thing. Think of it more as an anxiety medication with a side effect of making you stupid, not as "lol im durnk in skool lololololol." Stay alert. Employ mental discipline. Bring your A-game. TRY to do well on the speech.

-Hard liquor is best. The thing about "1 shot of whiskey = 1 beer" is that 1 ounce of liquid =/= 20 ounces of liquid. Alcohol does make you pass liquids A LOT faster, and with your lowered inhibitions comes a lessened ability to "hold it in," if you will. You don't want to be struck with a near irresistable urge to pee right at the big moment. In fact, it might be a good idea to minimize your intake of liquids period on the day of. 

-Specifically, vodka is your pal. It really is by far the easiest liquor to conceal, both on your breath and in a bottle that may need to look innocent if needed in a public place.

-Along that note, bring a strong minty gum like peppermint or spearmint to chew. This will virtually eliminate any chance of anyone smelling booze on your breath. Just remember to spit it out before your presentation! That's considered quite rude and virtually any professor will ding you points for this, or worse, call you out for it while you're up there. If it's a more intimate setting that's worrying you, a breathmint or one of those pocket strips is almost as good.

-Also, just in general, try to avoid deep breaths or exhalations, especially in someone's face. Drinking alcohol doesn't actually do anything to your "breath," its presence in your gut sends fumes out your mouth that people can smell. It's for that reason that gum, coins, or anything else will not fool a breathalyzer. But I am NOT condoning EVER drinking in a situation in which a breathalyzer may even be present. EVER.

-Avoid caffeine: Caffeine will both highten the intoxication and make it come and go quicker. You want a slow, dull buzz, not a quick jolt.

-Finally, if this is a serious problem for you that you have to deal with often, skip the booze and get some actual help. While I do maintain that, when used correctly and conscientiously, situational alcohol "abuse" is safe, anytime you're playing with alcohol you're playing with fire, ESPECIALLY as a student and DOUBLY ESPECIALLY if you need to bring it TO your school. Speeches and presentations are scary to everyone, but it is NOT normal for them to cripple you with paralyzing fear. I was ignorant of that fact or I never would have done this. If that's how they make you feel, every time, and they're something you have to do often, tell your doctor. There is effective medication out there that most insurances will cover. However, this may not be an option for everyone. Booze is cheap and available. I don't know, I thought this information and experience might help someone out there. Just be smart. That's the most important rule to everything, really.

--

The destructor has gone

December 5, 2014 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Mental health doesn't get the attention, "awareness" or treatment it really deserves, so seeking help can be stigmatized in a bad way. I'm glad to hear that you were able to self-medicate responsibly and get actual help for it later. Too many people fall into a bad hole from that. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Those are some really good tips. Wish I'd known about it when I was still doing all that crap. Though more seriously, I don't think my pre-speech jitters are comparable to the anxiety you felt.

My own first intro to alcohol was actually accidental. Around Christmas time, my mom bought these German liqueur chocolates from the Comissary on base. She didn't realize they were filled with vodka until me and a friend couldn't walk straight.

Around 20, I was depressed for a host of reasons (parents got divorced, lost my faith, flunked outta college) and though I didn't drink often, when I did, I drank to get wasted. I eventually found myself in a group of friends who liked to party, so at least I wasn't drinking alone anymore?

Part of the divorce ruling was that the house had to be sold. My sister was in Conway for college, my mom moved out to be closer to work, and that left me with a big house in the country to myself. Needless to say, we partied hard.

I moved in with one of the guys to an apartment in Bebee after the house sold and started going to parties at Lyon College in Batesville where a good friend of mine attended. That's where I learned the meaning of the term "shitfaced".

Eventually, my drinking slowed down, replaced by "chilling out". Now, I have a good handle on it, though I'd say it never really turned into a "problem". I only drink heavily during special social occasions and I'm more of a beer person these days anyway.

Through all of my experiences, I've found I have a strangely low tolerance to alcohol (at least compared to the people I've drank with). I sat down one night with a bottle of whiskey and decided to figure out exactly where my points were. (this is also supported by many other night's worth of experience)

1 shot = tipsy

2 shots = drunk

3 shots = peak high/"happy place"

4 shots = depression

5 shots = puking

This low tolerance extends to many other things. I just consider it my own little superpower.

--

December 5, 2014 at 9:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I'm probably not the best for this topic since I don't drink (out of a lack of interest - I have no qualms with those that do) and I'm about to go to a master's program for clinical therapy. Based on that, I have no idea what a good drink is and I'm understanding of those who drink to feel better, but very opposed to it. 

I have tried Baileys, Mikes Hard Lemonade, and Smirnoff Ice. All of them tasted like I was drinking rubbing alcohol. Bleh.

--

December 6, 2014 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

I didn't drink anything but a sip or two of anything until I turned 21, due in large part to the Navy. I joined just before my 19th birthday and shortly thereafter went to a school where underage drinking was such a big deal that if you even knew that a person at a party was underage and witnessed them drunk and didn't report it, you were guilty by association. So, it wasn't until I was almost out of that set of schools that I got drunk for the first time. Since, anytime I get drunk it usually ends in a hilarious night, vomiting and waking up with the worst hangovers. It doesn't help that I'm a relative heavyweight, so most of the time it takes a lot of hard liquor to get, as the coolkids call it, "turn't up".

As for preferences, I grew up drinking soda, energy drinks, and with a major sweet tooth, so I do not like most beers. For the first six months of my drinking experience, I mostly drank wines, hard ciders, liquor and mixed drinks. I have, in the past two years, expanded my palette somewhat, but beer is probably one of my least favorite choices of drinks, with the exception of Hefeweizen and the occasional (Non-IPA) ale. That is unfortunately a problem with living in the Northwest, is that IPAs are everywhere up here and I hate them.

As for stories of drunkeness, I've had a few interesting experiences. The worst, in my experience, was in San Diego, where the boat made a port call so that the comms division could make repairs. Normally, when in port, it's engineering department (ie, my department) that has a bunch of work to do and so can't normally enjoy the port. We knew we'd probably only be able to have one night to enjoy, so we all went to the local convenience store, picked up a bunch of booze and had a grand old time under a pavillion on base. I realized, after getting there, that I had gotten a six pack of Angry Orchard and some snack food, but hadn't actually gotten any solid food, having missed dinner. Rather than walking half a mile to the Subway, I chose to drink on an empty stomach. I vomited no less than three times that night, continued drinking and stumbled, and I do mean stumbled, back to the boat. The next morning, I had the worst headache, was unable to keep down any fluids, including icewater, and to top it all off we had a fire drill in the morning, requiring me to wear a mask supplied with forced air while making calculations required to finish the drill. Then, the final kicker, was that afternoon, still unable to hold down any fluids, we had to start up and leave. When the truth finally came out as to what had been going on, my chief was furious.

The thing that nobody realizes about tolerance, is that the more you drink the better it gets. The drunken sailor stereotype is due in no small part to this, I'm sure. When you go out to sea or are working long hours everyday for months on end, your tolerance becomes almost nil, and when you get to a port, all you wanna do is drink.

On a related note, I don't know how many people have seen this, but I can personally vouch for the quality of the Vaporeon, as it is quite tasty. We made a nonfrozen version of it, and it's awesome.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

December 6, 2014 at 12:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I'd never seen those Eevee drinks but now I really want to try some. It's been a long time since I tried mixing something fun like that. Like I said, alcohol's primary use to me at first was very calculated. I didn't even try to use it recreationally for a long time after.

I've been nothing but somber up to this point though, so I guess I'll talk about my likes. My family is German, so of course I love the dark beers. Grolsch is a family favorite, but I also like Newcastle with a nice meal of red meat (great with a burger, and lots places have it). Among domestics, I'm a Budweiser man. Blind taste tests consistently rank Bud dead last in the domestic category but I'll take it over Miller, Coors, or MOST Sam Adams any day. Although Boston Lager is hard to top.

Wine, I'm not so keen on. If it's a fruity white, sure, but virtually all red wine to me is like drinking floor polish.

Tequila is another popular beverage I just do not like. If I'm at home and we're having margaritas from a mix, I'll make mine with vodka. I just hate tequila that much.

But ah, vodka. Guess I'm a Russian at heart. Vodka is my favorite. Except hardly anyone makes REAL vodka these days. Almost all major manufacturers, including the high-dollar stuff like Cirac and Grey Goose (most overrated shit ever), have moved on to wheat vodka. Fuck that, give me potatoes! Best vodka out there? It's called Vikingfjord. It's cheap, it's clean, it's crisp, and it's POTATOES, the way vodka should be. I'll drink it straight sometimes, but it's also wonderful for mixing. Honorable mention to a locally-made corn vodka, I don't remember the name offhand sadly but anyone in AR should be able to recognize it by the label.

The only area where I really like expensive shit is bourbon. Expensive tequila, expensive vodka, I can hardly tell the difference. But I honestly do appreciate fine bourbon. It's a treat, and an experience. I never get drunk on bourbon, when I stop enjoying the flavor, I stop drinking.

Speaking of experiences, finally, Charles Baudelaire got me into absenthe as a guilty pleasure. Particularly, absinthe slowly distilled with sugar water, mixed into an equal portion of "Mexican Coke" (Coca-Cola with real sugar; here it's mostly imported from Mexico. Yeah. Coca-Cola is an awful company). The smell is as much a part of the experience as the flavor, and it'll get you sneaky drunk if you're not careful. Something to devote a whole night to, particularly if you're feeling artsy.

Tolerance has not been tested since '10, but back then it was

1 = no effect

2 = tipsy

3 = very tipsy

4 = drunk

5 = small chance to vomit

6 = puking imminent

I've gained about 30 pounds since then (I was a string bean, now I'm much healthier), so it's likely a bit higher now. I have no real motivation to test beyond "drunk" level again though. I detest vomiting. I might go so far as to say I actually fear it, and when I do get drunk, it's mostly to escape my fears so.

--

The destructor has gone

December 6, 2014 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

As for individual liquors, I'm only moderately versed in them. I like rum, but I find it's at its best mixed with something, obviously. I once drank probably 8-12 shots of Sailor Jerry (my rum of choice) in a half hour or so. The night ended with me blackout drunk, vomiting, slamming my head against every nearby surface (not intentionally, think stumbling drunk but with the rest of your body) and with the most miserable hangover the next morning that made me feel like demons were trying to claw their way out of my stomach through my throat.

Suffice to say I've not gotten really drunk since those two experiences.

However, I must agree that Absinthe is very good (I happen to like black licorice/anise) and I find that Midori goes fantastically with it, both in color and flavor. And Mexicoke is the best version of coke, lets be honest. Glass bottles, real sugar, not that corn syrup crap...

Another thing you might look into trying is Shochu. I've tried a couple different kinds when I was in Guam, and from what I've read it's Japan's answer to vodka.

--

December 6, 2014 at 2:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Oh right, I forgot rum. Yeah, mostly good for mixing, although Captain Morgan Black Spiced Rum is a great straight drinker.

Any of you ever hear of Virgil's sodas? One of my favorite things to do is 1 ounce of Bacardi 151 (and NO MORE than ONE ounce! If you don't know, 151 is its proof, which means the shit's 75.5% alcohol. Its best use is for cooking, but with care it can make good drinks too) in an 8-ounce glass of Virgil's cola and ice. It's a recipe I cobbled together one night in desperation, but it turns out no other combination of rums or colas matches its excellence. I have no idea why it's good, it just is.

--

The destructor has gone

December 6, 2014 at 3:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

Diddy: Ah, it's cool. Everyone's got their own tastes.

X: Oh my god, those all sound so delicious!

I'm gonna have to make some of those some time. Thanks for the link!

I'm a little surprised the military is so strict about alcohol, but I guess I really shouldn't be. It makes sense. Your story is a good example of why :P Man, that was just one bad thing piled onto another.

I can't really handle a whole lotta sweet in my drinks, makes me sick to my stomach. Good thing I love the really stout and bitter beers!

It's kinda funny though, at first I despised beers and would only drink them begrudgingly if they were the only thing around. Hard liquors were my thing. Somewhere along the line, I came to love and even prefer beers. Acquired taste I guess.

I've had mixed experience with shochu. The first time I had 2 glasses at Mt. Fuji and it was great. Second time I bought a bottle of the stuff from the restaurant and it wasn't nearly as good. Not sure what that was about.

Nick: MOTHER FUCKIN' VIKINGFJORD!

Hands down the best vodka I've ever had! I actually have a 1 gallon glass bottle I keep in a drawer to use for an annual libation for a friend that died. It was his favorite as well.

Heaven Hill though is the absolute worst shit I've ever drank, second only to Everclear.

I also can't stand tequila. Every time I drink it, it leaves me rolling on the floor feeling like I was kneed in the gut. We just don't get along.

Where do you find real absinthe? I've wanted to try it, but all I can find is the tiny bottles they sell at the counters at Hog Wild and I have no idea if it's "authentic" or not.

--

December 6, 2014 at 7:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Real absinthe is a liquor made from wormwood that is anise-flavored, often green, with a high proof. The kind that I had was -very- smooth with a nice burn at the end. It allegedly was banned due to supposedly having hallucinogenic properties (hence the "Green Fairy"), though it doesn't actually have any (be careful though as some kinds overseas occasionally may have opiates mixed in, or so I've heard). It is traditionally diluted by dripping cold water through a sugar cube suspended above the glass on a hole-y spoon. It's also very good in mixed drinks, at least the ones I've had. Other than that, I don't know much.

--

December 7, 2014 at 1:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Ace has it. What I have here at home is just labeled "Absente: Absinthe Refined." It's 110 proof. I remember once having one that was like, Black Panther or something, idk, but I believe it was even stronger, more like 130 proof I wanna say.

Mixing absinthe with opium was a common pastime of the wealthy elite in 19th century France; much of Le Fleurs du Mal was the result of such. Its hallucinogenic properties probably always were really the opium, perhaps the specific properties of absinthe accentuate the high somehow? Idk, but I'm kind of a veteran of absinthe and I've never hallucinated shit.

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2014 at 3:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments