Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Obligatory ORAS thread

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Discuss Hoenn remakes here, whether your own experience with the game of what you may want to know before you buy it. Do try to stay free of major spoilers, since a lot of our current userbase doesn't have the game yet.

I'll start with the negatives, since that shouldn't take too long at all: The game is way too easy. Easier than XY. If you're looking for a challenge, you'll have to skip Exp Share and Amie entirely and probably a good portion of the trainer battles too. In order to combat that, I have less of a team of six and more of a rotation of guys. The six in my signature are my main team, the ones I use the most and have been with the longest. In addition to them, I've been using a Zangoose, Kecleon, Pelipper, Gyarados, Machamp, Alazakam, Aggron, Claydol, Bannette, Absol, and two Dusclops, one physical and one special.

Oh, and the Relicanth in my sig really is shiny! Blue there is courtesy of Casey and her knack for shiny fishing, I absolutely adore him and he's a ton of fun to use!

--

The destructor has gone

December 5, 2014 at 1:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I haven't played it that much because I burned myself out on my quest to catch em' all in Y. I have to agree with your sentiment so far though. On my Sapphire run, this game was a beast to tackle. In the remakes, it seems a lot of Gyms had lower level pokemon and I outleveled everything extremely quickly. Granted, I could be wrong about the lower level thing, but I feel significantly stronger. Also, there is a wider array of Pokemon catchable early and the GTS spoils me. I got a Charmander off the Wonder Trade so I bred it and now Zippo is wrecking Hoenn. All is as it should be in my Pokemon Journeys.

I dislike Amie and the Super Training quite a bit personally. I like the idea of having alternatives to EV training, but I can't stand doing more than one or two pokemon to cap in a couple of days. For some reason, I was much more patient just ko'ing wild pokemon.

--

December 6, 2014 at 12:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Speaking of! I have your old competitive Zippo (along with everything else you lent me), but Poké Transfer lost his name change? He's just "Charizard" now, idk what was wrong with "Zippo" but it didn't pass their censors =/

Yeah that's what makes it such a shame, the original Hoenn games were some of the hardest in the series! Now they're so watered down you don't even have to try, matter of fact, you DO have to try to make it challenging. 

--

The destructor has gone

December 6, 2014 at 1:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

So, just got a new 3DS. Probably will be getting ORAS soon. I also need to get everyones Friend Codes at some point. Will post mine when I get around to setting everything up.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

December 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I have the same problem with it being a little too easy, but I am still absolutely loving it! Hoenn was always my favorite and I feel like it's really been done justice. I've been using the same fix for getting a challenge in that I have two alternate teams, to try to keep anyone from getting too overlevelled. I don't mind too much since the available pokemon in these games are some of my absolute favorites and it's been a blast to play with as many as possible! And let me just state for the record I am horribly addicted to the Pokemon Radar thing, it's a blast to have odd egg moves on in game pokemon! Some of my favorites are my Mawile with Ice Fang courtesy of Nick, a Medicham with Bullet Punch, and of course, Timid Sableye with Nasty Plot and special moves. 

Also, I can not possbily overstate how much I've been enjoying Secret Bases. I loved them in the original games and boy did they really get improved in all the right ways in ORAS! I'm usually not big into decorating things in games but Nick can attest to the fact that I can't stop trying out new bases and renovating them pretty whimsically. And thanks to walking around campus, I've gotten plenty of bases in my game from streetpasses (which is such a fantastic feature holy cow). 

Which reminds me, I'd love everyone's code for their base! I love seeing how everyone decorates and you can never really collect enough flags. I'll get my own code up before too long, I believe I've heard that if you sync your game you can get a nice image of the code online, I'll have to try that. Barring that, I hope no one minds a code just taken with a phone camera?

--

December 7, 2014 at 2:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

So, on that note, how would we want to Nuz ORAS? Besides the usual rules, what are some other reqs we can make? Could we do two per area with the requirement of rotating mons out after every gym?

--

December 7, 2014 at 2:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

My 3DS friend code is in my trainer card. I'll get my Secret Base code up here soon, I love that feature too.

Personally I wouldn't like forced rotations. I think just banning Amie and Exp Share would be enough, maybe also restricting healing items to what you find on the ground.

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2014 at 8:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

That might work. So, basically do mostly what I already do. I'm thinking if/when I get it I'll finally tell a complete story with Ikuno. Now, to decide which starter. I'm leaning towards Treeko, as I've already established in my own mind that she likes traditionally creepy-crawly creatures, like snakes and spiders and stuff, hence why she picked Snivy in my barely started W2 run. I need to actually get around to beating that one of these days. I don't know why I can't get into it like the others. 5th gen was just really kinda a weird time for Pokemon, I think.

--

December 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Man, I loved BW2. Wonderful in-game selection, naturally challenging, HELL to Nuzlocke. The competitive scene completely devolved thanks to the removal of the flat level cap turning the primary playerbase into brainless Smogonites who just hacked in whatever they were told was best. But the in-game experience was the best ever up to that point, only to be eclipsed by XY.

Tbh, Nintendo Good Guy Greg'd themselves out of a lot of money. 5th Gen really should have been on the 3DS. Instead they waited until they got the technology to a point where they were confident they could completely reinvent Pokémon as they would in 6th. But I guess if that wasn't who they were, I wouldn't love them like I do.

Also Mudkips are slimy and weird, I think Ikuno might like one of those too.

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2014 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I just want to let you know that I'm here but work so I will try to read and catch up on the progression of the place and get some real comments in shortly.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 10, 2014 at 9:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

No problem, glad to see you back at least!

--

The destructor has gone

December 11, 2014 at 12:22 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
So, I got a 3ds and Y now! Going to purchase AS soon. However, my baby has been ill and now so am I. Hence why I haven't been posting. Looking forward to when I'll get to where I can play with you guys :) hope you all had a merry Christmas/happy holidays
December 28, 2014 at 8:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

525 views - 0 comments
522 views - 1 comment
579 views - 4 comments
550 views - 0 comments