Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > General Discussion > The Book, loss of purpose, and bringing Random back

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Mood Music: Get the Gang Together - Gerard Way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7Wi1aUlq50&spfreload=10 (Hyperlinking isn't working for some stupid reason, idk)

Did you know this site is five years old? Since that time it's evolved, devolved, revolved, grown, shrunk, decayed, transformed and even arguably ceases to exist at this present juncture. And during that span, I long forgot its original purpose. Really this site was going to be a sort of continuation of a project I started back in grade school and continued on all the way up til graduation. Some of my older friends on here will know what I'm talking about.

That's right. The Book.

For those who don't know (basically, anyone I met after high school), The Book was a long-spanning chronicle of all the inside jokes, memes, and general funnies I shared with my friends in school. Despite my modest roster of friends, it would eventually grow to fill an entire composition notebook. It was a great project that I'm very proud of and that I think a lot of my old friends would have interest in, but as of now it's just sitting on my shelf gathering dust. So I'm now working on something I'd intended to do from the very beginning here; to preserve The Book in other formats for posterity and accessibility for my friends. Most notably in the form of its own page(s) on here, but additionally as downloadable text files and perhaps even more physical copies for my friends who really want one.

The Book is the most immediately exciting and tangible thing I want to start here, but I also want to relaunch this with renewed focus toward our friendships (insert MLP joke here). I'm serious though. The people I frequent(ed) here are those I genuinely do care about, but typically don't associate with otherwise. That much, apparently, isn't going to change. I'm just not good at texting or talking to people outside my immediate contact just to say hi. So what I'd like to do is use this as our own personal social network I guess? Where we can spark discussions if we want, battle if we want, share links if we want, stories if we want, none of the above if we want. I think my problem is I've taken this way too seriously in the past and the result is multiple high-energy pushes for revival that inevitably fizzle out after a short while.

So. I'm about to text a bunch of you and if you're interested in getting back together, please say something here. Even if not, thanks for dropping by and reading this.

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

*recieves text message while assembling monster salad*

Oh, what's this?

Ohoho! Well then, I accept good sir.

I've heard legends of this Book, and even caught glimpses of it during a few classes. I would be interested in seeing a digitized version of it.

I'll keep PR open among my tabs and do my best to participate. This is good timing too with winter break around the corner.

I have a few things I wanna try out as well. Maybe I can actually finish a project I start :P

I also recently reignited my world-building passion, so once finals are over, I'll dive back into that and share my progress here if there's interest. Though that one has already gone through 7 seperate restarts, I refine my technique every iteration and am happier with the results.

Anyway, I'm happy to see this again!

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

December 3, 2014 at 3:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
I love this site. We put a lot into this and I was always sad to see it die out. I'm interested in the Book as well. I should be able to post here much more often than in the past since I have graduated. And hopefully *fingers crossed* I will get Pokemon X or Y for Christmas he he he ^-^
--
December 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Lemur, if you finished a project, that would make you the first one here in a long time to do so >.< No pressure, man. Your world-building project sounds really cool and unique, I can already throw my interest in there.

And Naenay, glad to hear you can be active again! X and Y are great, but you may be better off getting ORAS first? They introduced some new Mega Evos in the Hoenn remakes that sadly aren't compatible with X and Y. Up to you, both are fantastic. Just understand that X and Y are already "obsolete," in a way. Stupid, I know.

Thrilled to hear from you guys, btw!

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
Good point. I may get ORAS first. I have missed Hoenn. I'll think on it. Lemur, I wanna see this word building project too :)
--
December 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

For the record, XY and ORAS can communicate. Just that you can't trade over or battle with any of the new stuff. Kind of like trading between RBY and GSC back in the day.

Here's what you'd be missing: http://www.serebii.net/omegarubyalphasapphire/megaevolutions.shtml

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2014 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

So, bit of a problem with The Book. I'm not going to be able to make nearly enough pages for all the entries, what I'll probably have to do is set up an external blog like a tumblr or something for The Book that I link to each individual passage from the page I have set up on the top bar. Would that be alright with everyone? The other option would be to make each entry a locked forum post but that might spam the forums a bit. Idk, looking for input here.

Also, beta Book page on the top bar is live. No links yet, just table of contents and credits, but y'all can help me with the credits and at least see the topics you have to look forward to reading about.

--

The destructor has gone

December 3, 2014 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
I think the external blog would be better than the forums. It may be more difficult to look at that way. Btw, I have some of the l4d comics lost in the mess that is my filing cabinet lol
--
December 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Vesicant Lemur

I agree that external would be best. Using tags could make it easier to search as well.

Looking at that beta page brings a smile to face.

--

Life is Absurd. Chill out. Don't give a fuck.

December 3, 2014 at 7:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
I like the new banner for the site. It's pretty cool
--
December 3, 2014 at 11:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Looks like I'm gonna have to get Casey to teach me to tumblr. Even when I get that set up, it's going to be awhile before you guys see any more progress. I'm sure you saw all the topics I need to cover. Just know I am working, though, and if you remember any funnies from high school that you're worried aren't in there feel free to check with me. The Book is sacred but not beyond amendment.

--

The destructor has gone

December 4, 2014 at 12:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I can't say I remember much of "The Book" considering I didn't see you much in High School, but I could never forget 'Zinkoff.' I was actually just thinking about that the other day. I was driving to walmart thinking of different nonsense insults I had used in my life and zinkoff came out of no where. I remember people being so confused when we'd use it in so many different ways. Gah, bringing back some good memories. 

Believe it or not, I lurk on this site a lot. Its favorited so it pops up on my chrome a lot. I love revivals of this and hope it can go better. Ironically, I think my problem with coming in and out is that the site has been more of a social media site from my point of view. I didn't add much content so I would just catch up on people's lifes. While that is interesting, I generally always have waining interest in social media. And I'm more of the odd man out since I was the more, "out of the circle" person. Obviously not saying that I was treated that way or anything, just a thought. 

Either way, I'm glad it's making a return, am excited to see new projects and am looking forward to seeing how everyone is doing!

EDIT: Also, for the love of god, please update aPokelypse Now!

--

December 4, 2014 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Glad to see you back Diddy, this site is always at its best when you're around. Is there anything we can do to help make you feel more in the loop? I know the feel, and even though you said it's not our fault I want to apologize anyway. You're one of my oldest friends, the last thing I want to do is make you feel excluded.

Yeah, it's time to finish aPokelypse, isn't it? Alright then, I know what I'm doing after The Book.

--

The destructor has gone

December 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
Crap. Now I need to come up with a project. Hmm hmm hmm... Btw, welcome back Diddy :)
--
December 4, 2014 at 9:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Don't start a project just for the sake of starting a project. Only do something you want to do. We'll see what all we've got going on in a week or two.

--

The destructor has gone

December 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Oh no, nothing needs to change at all! I'm just not as artsy as you all and may not have as much reference to some things (such as the book). I only mention it as a disclaimer that, as a social madia site, I didn't have much input since I'm not as familiar with everyone. I'm pretty good with people though and have learned a lot about you all. No need to change anything!

On a different note, I'd like to start something myself. Not sure what since I'm not much of a writer, but I'll think more on it. On the Pokemon front, I'm 497/700 caught in Pokemon Y and have moved onto OR to catch em' all. I may be needing some of you to trade me stuff!

--

December 5, 2014 at 12:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

My response when I saw this: Very yes.

I didn't even know anybody on this site until '09 (Senior year for most of you, I think), so I missed the era of the original Book, however, anything that Gets the Gang Together can not be a bad thing.

Currently, my schedule is very busy. Work hours change with little advance notice, and are long regardless, so any update schedule is up in the air. In addition, I am currently without a DS or OR/AS, so any Nuzlocke is unlikely for some time. As such, it seems the perfect time to continue a project I started under similar circumstances which morphed out of control.

I'm bringing back Hrothstuck and >Be the other guy. However, I need input from you all to return it to its episodic, reader-driven format, otherwise it becomes me just recounting the adventures of these characters.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

December 5, 2014 at 3:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator
I want to start a project I just don't know what I would like to do yet. I need to check out Be the other guy. Think I missed that one
--
December 5, 2014 at 12:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Diddy: At the very least, I hope it makes you feel better to know that I want you in any circle that may form on this site. We've been friends for almost a decade and a half now and that means a lot to me.

If narratives aren't your thing, maybe just chronicling? I know I enjoyed the hell out of your Sapphire Nuzlocke, and it was just detailing what happened in the run. Maybe that's a bad example because that run was NUTS and kind of wrote itself but something similar like that. Is there an obscure game you're into where just detailing the events of the story would be news to us? Just trying to spark ideas, idk

X: YES MOAR HROTHSTUCK. You'll have my contribitions to be sure. I don't want to comment on absolutely everything, since then instead of community-driven it kind of just becomes me-driven. But if your update goes a day or two without comments I'll be your security net to keep the story going during lulls.

Naenay: It seems there's a vacancy for a Nuzlocke if you're interested? It's been so long since our last and every generation has been covered up to 6th, really any game you'd want to do is on the table.

--

The destructor has gone

December 5, 2014 at 1:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Chronicling could be good. I'm much better at observing, recounting and understanding something than making a cohesive story out of it. As far as obscure games go, I typically play the games most people here have played. I raid in World of Warcraft, am mid-gold tier in league if legends, and play almost every half decent 3DS game there is. Valkyrie Chonicles is the only game that I love that people typically don't know, but I won't have time to play that until Christmas. Maybe I can do some kind of analysis of a game. Or even try something like CJ did with Pokemon of the Week (not that exactly obviously, but along that kind of content).

--

December 6, 2014 at 12:41 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments