Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Original Writings > A Flame in the Night

Xelakian

"At the beginning, there was only The Infinite One. The Infinite One knew that it could not be as it was for long, as it knew all things, so it divided its form in twain. Its power became The Mage. Its knowledge became The Scholar. With the guidance of The Scholar, The Mage created Fire. From the primordial flames rose a Great Phoenix, and The Mage used the Phoenix's power to create a world. But the Phoenix was not alone, for as the world was created, the stillness was destroyed by an Obsidian Dragon. Where one ventured, the other followed, for the Phoenix could not create without the Dragon's destruction of something else.

As the fires of the fledgling world cooled, the magma cooled, becoming stone. The gasses produced from the flames eventually gave way to storms. The storms produced precipitation, and water followed. From these things life formed, and this world became known as Fyora, "Flame in the Night".

However, The Mage and The Scholar could not leave the world with only Creation and Destruction, Life and Death. Without some form of Order, the world, and all Their work, would be for naught. To control the forces of this world, They created an Eternal Judge, to ensure a natural Order was enforced. As Order was imposed, Chaos was not snuffed out. Chaos found other places to hide. An Endless Wanderer formed to counter the Judge.

As life emerged on Fyora, several stories would be told. Empires rise and fall. But the one thing that remains constant is the dualism of the universe. For without Order, Chaos cannot exist. For without Death, new Life cannot blossom. For without Knowledge, Power is meaningless."

-Vzrm, First Prophet of the Flames

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

August 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

The stage is set. But for what?

moar plz.

--

The destructor has gone

August 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

A series of small skirmishes. That's what they had called the guerilla nighttime incursion of Faeril and his bloodsuckers. The Imperial Guard were nothing but kindling to the fire, simply giving them more bodies to work with. Honestly, rather terrifying when you stop to consider. Thankfully this was the first time that I had ever heard of vampires organizing and creating a legitimate military force. They had already torn a handful of villages apart and were rapidly heading towards the City-State of Izix. Why they were here, what they were looking for, besides fresh blood and recruits, was beyond me. What was stranger to me was how they were avoiding the sun...

The Zadrian Empire has various options when these things happen. They can call on the Phoenix Knights, but many times they'll draw far to much attention to the event or take moral issue. They can call on the Shadows, but that'll often net them mixed results and a hefty price in the future, usually not in the monetary sense. They can call on adventurers, who are more likely to get killed than succeed. Or, they can call on the Mournbringers, an elven family from Udav, long ago exiled, who pledged fealty to Emperor Anovalez I. For this issue, we called the latter. And I was instructed to accompany them, so that I might learn to be a better fighter, or some such. And unfortunately, our quarry had two days time on us.

"I don't understand how they're doing it." Aust, the eldest of the four, was crouched down, examining the tracks that suddenly stopped, his dark brown cloak enveloping his body. "This is the third time the trail's disappeared. And I'm sure it'll pick back up again in a few hours, but still, it doesn't make any sense. Besides that, they're not stopping in any caves or seeking any shelter from the sun. Are we sure these are vamps and not just bloodthirsty spirits or something?"

"Vampires are bloodthirsty spirits. They're just walking, talking, self-propagating bloodthirsty spirits that happen to have once been people." Velago, the second eldest, smiled whilst fiddling with one of his knives. "Besides, I can choose not to leave tracks too, and you don't think that's weird."

"You're not an army. Also, I don't find it weird because you leave other indicators of your presence."

"Brother, you wound me! How will I ever return to the Shadows, knowing that the best hunter in the country can track me by clues I leave behind specifically for him? Surely this is the end of an era! Bards will write terrible, depressing songs of the day that Velago Mournbringer hung up his daggers for good, for he knew that he would never be safe from the keen eyes of his treacherous elder brother."

"Oh shut up. We all know you're not rejoining the Shadows. They kicked you out because of your big mouth. Hell, I could track you by following the wave of rolling eyes back to their source." Lena stomped ahead, obviously rather annoyed at her brothers bickering. We pushed forward, Blaize quietly bringing up the rear. Lena had the right idea though. We didn't have time to waste.

Sure enough, the trail picked up again about five hours later. The sun was going down, not that that really mattered to them. Moonlight is almost as good as sunlight to elven senses. Unfortunately, I was Vendran, and so I had to rely on other means. I closed my eyes and focused my mind on my right forearm, clearing my head of all else. I could feel the blood pulse through my arm, the muscles and ligaments twitch as I moved my fingers ever so slightly. I thought of light, blue and bright, and I began to feel my arm tingle. I started shifting my focus to the light, sliding my arm back as I simultaneously moved the light forward in my mind. As it reached my fingertips, I put force into it, willing it solid. I opened my eyes to see a blue blade of light levitating just at the edge of my fingers. I laid my left hand upon it, focusing once more. This is not merely solid light, this is a weapon, a blade with which to kill. As the edges sharpened, I realized that I may find need to use it tonight.

--

August 12, 2014 at 11:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

"Almost three centuries ago, a child was born with a strange power, power to manipulate the world with but a thought, power that was neither arcane nor divine. Power derived from the mind. As the boy aged, his control over his power grew exponentially, eventually allowing him to allow his body to subsist solely on his own will, never hungering, never thirsting, never breathing, never aging. In time, he learned that with special crystals he was able to store a portion of his power. And, as the mans influence grew, the people of Fvenn Drasch discovered that these crystals could grant a fraction of his power to them, extending their life and giving them power. With this power as incentive, the man known as Zadrian Anovalez I united the Vendran City-States, creating an Empire that would last through the ages."

-Suleyman the Historian, Master Diplomat

--

August 13, 2014 at 11:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

"Ah, tracking the undead at night, how fitting. Surely an idea better than seeking out a nocturnal, sanguinous army that can vanish into nothingness in its preferred timeframe whilst running off of virtually no sleep in several days was never had. I have no doubt that our fatigued fivesome will surprise the horde of spawned, organized, hungry vampires we will surely encounter. We may even be able to use it to some advantage!"

"Shut up, Vel. Our orders were to stop them, if possible, waylay them otherwise, and if unable to do either, report their movements to the Knights. What's with your sudden pessimism anyways?"

"I just think that it's just a little unrealistic to expect the five of us to defeat an unknown number of these guys, especially when they keep making more and can disappear!" His tone became more serious. "I may kill for a living, but I normally only fight small groups and on my own terms. Even if these guys aren't fighters, they're still predators and being spurred on by Faeril, who we already know is bad news on his own. I just don't like our odds."

"...just keep moving. Don't let them swarm you." Blaize, the youngest of the Mournbringers, spoke barely above a whisper. Long ago, a sword with an acidic enchantment had cut his throat, and though the wound itself healed properly, his burned vocal chords had not.

"Quiet" A second passed and a faint scream was heard, carried by the wind, along with the smell of smoke. We hurriedly made our way to the top of the hill, and saw it. Izix, the City-State we sought to save, aflame.

"Velago, skirmish tactics and civilian evacuation. Lena, push through the crowd. Get us to Faeril. Blaize, crowd control. Kyneth, you're with me and Lena. We're stopping this here." Aust pulled out a few vials of a black liquid, handing them out to everybody. As he handed one to me, he explained, "If you're feeling overwhelmed, this'll give you a bit of a pick me up. It's no healer, but it'll help you finish the fight." I tucked the potion into my pouch. Everyone quickly made their last minute preparations. Aust unsheathed his sword and checked the vials he had along his belt. Velago pulled out a sword that was almost too long to wield in one hand and a wickedly curved dagger, applying some sort of white smoky liquid to both blades. Lena grabbed her bow and checked her quiver, whispering incantations onto various arrows. Blaize pulled out a pair of curved swords and adjusted his metal scaled cloak. I focused on the upcoming task. I could sense the link between my blade and my mind. I sensed the weight of the heavy gauntlet on my left hand, its purple crystalline clearly visible even with my eyes shut. The psychic link between the three, the gauntlet, the blade and my mind, was absolute. As we charged towards the burning city, on one thing I was certain: I was ready.

--

August 20, 2014 at 12:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

"Outraged. Disrespected. Insulted. Apt descriptors, all. To have travelled near a week on pilgrimage, seeking the blessings of our esteemed Emperor, long may He rule. To be turned away by Dracenmiran zealots. To think the Imperial City, built upon the Horn of Drasch, Protector of the Fvenn, would become home to proselytizing Phoenix Knights, that such a sacred place would be defiled by these worshippers of Aelfhen theology. Disgraceful. Worse, it shows a total abandonment of the Fvenn, of our ways, of our people, of our gods. These "missionaries" may have won the favor of the Council, perhaps, unfortunately, even the Emperor Himself, long may He rule. However, regardless of the repercussions, I swear that I will protect my city from this greivous threat to not only our beliefs, but to our way of life. The city of Izix has been, and shall remain, a part of the Fvenn."

- Duke Azul Ca'Izix, following the infamous Failed Blessing of Izix.

--

September 14, 2014 at 4:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

673 views - 0 comments
873 views - 4 comments