Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > Medieval Kanto

Mitsuo-Dexl

So, I found this tabletop game created specifically for Pokemon called Pokemon Tabletop United.  Not sure if you guys had heard of it, but its a pretty fun little system.  Anyway, but the most recent update of it (which includes the Gen VI Pokemon) included a supplement called Game of Throhs, which gave me additional rules and ideas on how to apply Pokemon to a more medieval setting.  Which I immeidately fell in love with.

One of the pre-generated ideas they gave within the Game of Throhs book included a Medieval Kanto.  I took a lot of their ideas and plot hooks they gave for the world and mixed and matched them to create a world I was happy with, and then added my own ideas to make the region more of my own.  I had some help generating some ideas or making them more sound, so I definitely can't claim full credit.  If I wasn't about to head off to work, I would post all the information about it as I could now, and see what you guys thought.  But since I am, I must simply ask these questions:  Would you guys like to see what I have done with Kanto in its Medieval Era?  What would you guys want in your own Medieval Kanto?  

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

April 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

First of all yes I absolutely need to see more of this. I've never heard of the game you mentioned, but one idea that immediately came to mind is that I'd love to see Kanto in a medieval light juxtaposed with its sister region, Johto, in a feudal Japanese culture, a la Conquest. So much of Johto is already designed in classic Japanese style, and I'd love to see those two cultures interact.

--

The destructor has gone

April 25, 2014 at 3:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I haven't spread out to Johto yet, but its only my first time messing with the PTU system.  So I'll just give you a quick rundown on my I have.

The region is ruled by 10 noble families.  Each noble family has adopted an Eeveelution as its banner, and currently that is all I have to identify each.  The current ruling family is that of Jolteon, headed by Queen Carmen in the Indigo Plateau.  The other families rule from the various towns around Kanto, as such:  (remember, I only have the Eeveelution to identify them by)

Ferreon (Steel Type, new to this game) in Celadon.

Espeon in Saffron.

Sylveon in Fuschia.

Glaceon in Cinnabar.

Leafeon in Viridian.

Umbreon in Pewter.

Vaporeon in Cerulean.

Flareon in Vermillion.

Eevee in Pallet.

To explain why some of these desicions were made, some background information needs to be known, especially for Celadon:  Trainers are called Adventurers, and they are registered within the Adventurer's Guild, based in Celadon City.  Pokeballs as we know them don't exist, but the Apricorns are used in their stead.  Pokedexes are made and taken care of by the Mages Guild in Saffron, and are basically small books with a spell incribed in them that allows them to scan Pokemon.  Like a beasiary.

The Knight Lords (the heads of the family and the Gym Leaders of this era) are members of the Kanto Knights, a group of 12 knights tasked with protecting Queen Carmen and keeping the peace.  Four of the Knights, known as the Elite Four, are Carmen's personal bodyguard.

Celadon's Knight Lord is a Knight to his core, embodying all that is Chivalry.  Saffron's is the Head of the Mage's Guild, and wishes all Adventurers who challenge her to be strong in mind as well as in body.  Fuschia's Knight Lord wishes to fight the drab and dark atmosphere given by Lavender Marsh with bright and eccentric Pokemon Contests.  Cinnabar was a recent addition to the Kingdom, taken from its natives by a cold and hard Knight Lord.  Viridian was a town buit around a foresting operation, its Knight ensuring they cut only the trees they need down and no more.  Pewter City was a mining town, until a noble got interesting in Mt. Moon and the literary symbolism behind his family's affinity for Dark types and moons.  Cerulean's Knight Lord was responsible for the massive aqueduct system that covers Kanto's only farmland, and Vermillion is a place of industry and production:  the first steam ship, under the Knight Lords instruction, is nearing completion, and the town is responsible for most of the constructed goods within Kanto.  Pallet is the newest noble family to arise, adopting a Eevee as its banner to represent its young nature.  The Knight Lord gained his status from his assitance in taking Cinnabar.

Lavender Town doesn't exist, and is simply a haunted marsh.  An eleventh Knight Lord 'lives' there, and while everyone avoids the Marsh as best they can (it is the sole reason the bridge between Celadon and Fuschia is getting built, and nearing completion) no one believes the stories of an eleventh Knight Lord.  But its true:  years ago, the Knight Lord of Saffron traveled into the Marsh and like many others, never returned.  But the Mage did not stay dead:  he rose as a Lich, and his Espeon along side him as a ghastly Raitheon (another original Eeveelution) and bides his time, building an army of ghosts before he invades and covers Kanto with his dark power.

So, big things nearing completion are the region's first Steam ship in Kanto, and the large bridge (think Cycle Road) between Celadon and Fuschia, all to avoid the Marsh.  So, to Adventurers!  They are like trainers, and like the Gyms, they can challenge the Knight Lords.  Complete at least 8 of them, and you are allowed into the Kanto Tourney.  Each time 8 eligible combatants arise, the Tourney is held.  The victor of the Tourney gets to challenge the Elite Four, and upon their victory, the head of the ruling family.  If an Adventurer wins all of that, they get to represent Kanto in the World Tourney.  If an Adventurer hadn't won that challenge by the time of the World Tourney, they simply send the Adventurer who got the furthest.

The World Tourney is the world's way of keeping the peace.  The different regions warred often, and after a particularly nasty World War, they devised the World Tourney.  Adventurers who aren't a part of the ruling family or political structure, come to the World Tourney and represent their Region, battling for peace treaties, trade aggreements, and settling grievances.  'Tourney' is misleading as there are no official battles, they simply take place as necessary in order to fairly decide upon things and settle agreements.

Sorry for all the typos and the long post, guys.

--

April 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I really, really love this whole thing. I can't wait until you start a formal story of this, if indeed you do.

--

The destructor has gone

April 25, 2014 at 9:43 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Its a Tabletop game, so my stories will be presented to my players and largely based on what they do; that said, we could do a forum based version of it.  Or, I could run my games and detail the adventures my players have here.  Either way, it'll still be a while, I got some things I still need to work out.

That said, if you have an idea, feel free to write within the world!  Anyone can, really.  We can make it a PR thing, and anything anyone writes and does within the world is canon for all who use it.  Sounds fun, really.  There are still a few things I need to work out, though, like the actual names of the families and the other Eeveelutions.  I wanted all types to be represented by Eevees, because I wanted a legend where the people of Kanto believe that Eevee was the original Pokemon, that gave the Types to normal animals.  Leads to adventures like an Eevee getting trapped in the underground caverns in Celadon (the ones that become Rocket HQ) becoming the Rock-type evolution; A Ground-type Eeveelution, known as the Commoner's Eevee, helps till the fields in Cerulean; people can't enter the Veridian forest because someone angered a Bug-type Eeveelution and its raising all the bugs into a fuss.  In the Marsh, Poison-type Eeveelutions are common.  That sort of thing.

--

April 25, 2014 at 10:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I tried out the world and gave the game a little Playtest with Captain and Cecil, and it was lots of fun.  I hope they enjoyed my little story, but I never got to ask them.

It was kind of neat because Cecil's character seemed to be more Pokemon oriented while Captain's character seemed more trainer oriented.  

We have an aura guardian with a Raltz and a squire with a Fletchling, going to meet a lady who had a Timburr imported in from Unova to help her build things around her farm.  However, the Timburr got really ill from not being used to Unova's clime, and the lady needs a certain berry to help cure him.  She can't leave the Timburr, so she asked the adventurers to come get it for her.

We only managed to do one encounter, which was a wild encounter with three Heracross suckling on the sap from the trees as they got towards the end of the Viridian Forest (which does stretch across Celadon) south of Celadon.  Cecil caught a level 9 female bashful Heracross and Captain caught a level 6 female modest Heracross.  The third one they just ignored and left.

So currently in the story we have:

Cael (aura guardian) Lv. 1 w/ a Lv. 5 Raltz and a Lv. 6 Heracross

Hubert (squire) Lv. 1 w/ a Lv. 5 Fletchling and a Lv. 9 Heracross

--

April 28, 2014 at 9:55 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Our Pokemon actually leveled up too, so our Ralts and Fletchling are lv.6! Much to Captain's relief I'm sure (Ralts gets Confusion! Whoo!). Mitsuo forgot to mention that he had us mock battle before setting out on our adventure. My Fletchling easily took out Captain's Ralts, but once we had a battle with both Pokemon and Trainer on the field Captain kicked my ass handily. @[email protected]

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

April 29, 2014 at 7:08 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Its true!  I think at the moment I wrote this I hadn't realized yet your starters had leveled.  lol

--

April 29, 2014 at 8:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

We played again lat night and I caught a Growlithe! Captain was able to convince a Houndour from the enemy team to join us instead too. It was really great.

Also, while leveling my Growlithe I noticed that I failed to add 10 points to my Fletchling. I had only added the 6 from his level... So he's a little stronger now.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

May 14, 2014 at 8:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

525 views - 0 comments
522 views - 1 comment
579 views - 4 comments
550 views - 0 comments