Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Video Games (Miscellaneous) > Chronicles of the Crystal

Tamoria

Hey there everyone, it's sure been a while since I actually contributed here in the form of my own project. So I figured, why not start with a narrated run I'm doing of an old gamecue game I'm determined to finally beat? This is Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles, a pretty unique and really enjoyable game. It's really not related to any Final Fantasy game, so don't worry about not knowing the material or anything. This is going to be a relatively casual journal style thing, which is very appropriate considering a big theme in the game is collecting memories in a journal (i.e. the cyrstal chronicles). Alright, so without further ado I'll start this up, but let me just start by saying curse the 7 characrter limit on names, ugh. 

--

December 14, 2013 at 7:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

[Intro video]

And so, like the caravanners before me, the elder has given me this beautiful journal to record my travelings in. It's an honor, but also a little frightening, thinking of how many of these pages may be left blank if I am unsuccessful, and what that would mean for my village. But, let me not start this new chapter with foreboding like this. Instead, an introduction seems much more proper. My name is Caliope, and I am the eldest daughter of the alchemist family. I hail from the small village of Tipa, situated on the tip of the Tipa Peninsula. I happen to be a Yuke, a race which the other three races inhabiting the land view as incredibly mysterious and magically gifted. If I'm to be honest, though, I'm so far removed from our history that I'm afraid I've quite lost any sort of enigmatic aura I should have. It's only to be expected, considering the Yuke city of Shella is on the other end of the continent. My brethren there would be as fascinating to me as they would appear to anyone else!

On to my mission. There is hope that one day things in this world will be very different, so even though much of what I am about to explain will be common sense to everyone alive today, I would still like to give some background on the off chance this diary is found when things have greatly changed. The world today is covered in miasma, a poisonous fog that plagues the land. Thankfully, there are giant crystals scattered across the world as well, which shield large areas from the miasma. Villages and cities may thrive with a crystal's blessings, but there is a catch. After a year, the crystal begins to fade, and its protection will continue to wane until the miasma can creep in and choke out this area as well. There is only one way to prevent this from happening, a sacred duty granted to the strongest each village has to offer. A caravan, equipped with a small crystal chalice, sets out each year in search of myrrh trees, which grow in special areas and offer up a drop of myrrh every few years. With three drops of myrrh, the caravan returns to its village and a ritual is held to use this liquid to purify the crystal. And thus, the crystal provides protection for another year! And I, Caliope, am the newly appointed leader of the Tipa caravan.

This morning, I set off with my other caravanners, the Selkie merchant's son, Jet, and the Lilty blacksmith's daughter, Diane. I have grown up with these two and they are my dear friends, but they are also not at all fighters. Warriors and the like are something of a dying breed in Tipa, and I know I am currently the only one equipped to seek out myrrh in the dangerous world beyond our village. Still, I trust these two completely to be able to support the caravan in other manners, such as making sure I get a fair price in shops at the other towns, and to make sure I get the best equipment. They will attend to the caravan itself while I venture on foot through the areas housing myrrh trees, gathering supplies and taking care of our dear aging papaopamus, Belle, who has pulled our village's caravan through countless obstacles and hardships. It was hard for all of us to part with our families but we know what will become of them if we are not to set out, and that gave us the strength to leave. Still, it was comforting when the village elder, Roland, meet us at the path out of town and wished us good luck on our journey. We finished our goodbyes and headed out of our home for the first time, the cyrstal chalice we carried with us keeping the miasma safely at bay. We have settled down for the night as I write this, finding a nice place to set up camp not far off the main road. Tomorrow the real challange will start, so for now I hope I can shake my off my nervousness and manage to get some rest.

--

December 14, 2013 at 7:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Interesting so far. I've heard a lot about this game and always been somewhat curious, but never gotten the chance to play or observe it.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

December 14, 2013 at 8:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Great start! It's so nice to see you writing again, oh man. I can't wait to hear more about the adventures of your first Yuke!

--

The destructor has gone

December 14, 2013 at 8:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

We set out early in the morning, and it was not long at all before we came across another caravan along the road. A band of Lilties, all looking sharp and standing to attention in sturdy armor, greeted us formally as we approached. The leader, Sol Racht, introduced himself and informed us they were the caravan from the capital city of the Lilties, Alfitaria. He recognized us easily as the Tipa caravan, which comes as no surprise as word must have already gotten around that our little village had new caravanners. Sol Racht recommended that we make sure we were prepared by training with one of the two moogles traveling with them, an adventurous little guy named Stiltzkin. The moogle looked eager to show me the ropes, but I turned him down, as the caravanners before me had already taught me all I needed to know. The poor thing looked so disappointed that I almost changed my mind, but I was in a hurry to go collect my first drop of myrrh. Still, the encounter paid off tremendously, as Sol Racht insisted I at least let the other moogle, Mog, travel with me to carry my chalice. And that is how we set off for our first challenge with a new fluffy companion.

[music]

River Belle Path. An old road that has not been travelled since the miasma first appeared in the land. It's now inhabited by vicious monsters, and in its center, a myrrh tree grows. I left Jet and Diane to attend to the caravan and set off with their worried eyes following me. Mog flew close to me, carrying the chalice. It was incredibly disconcerting to see the miasma writhing about just a few meters away from me in every direction, but I know I can trust the crystal shard in the chalice to keep me protected from it. Not far from the entrance, I come across the first monster, a goblin with a crude sword. It sees me and pauses to pick up a rock to hurl at me, and I use the opening to make a strong first strike with my battle hammer. I strike clumsily with all of my might, managing to stun it, and I'm able to quickly take it out with another blow. I was expecting it to be much more difficult, but the caravanners before me had taught me well. The slain goblin drops an orb of Fire magicite, which couldn't have been luckier for me. Magic has always been my strongest asset! With the magicite, I can now cast fire. I test the spell out on the next goblin I come across, and surprise even myself when it falls to the ground instantly. Mog lets out an impressed whistle as I take my prize from this goblin, being rewarded this time with Cure magicite.

I make it through the path quickly thanks to my magic, at least until I come across a goblin twice as big as the others. It easily lives my Fire spell and charges at me with a sword almost as long as I am. I don't react in time and the sword clashes painfully into my armor. I falter, falling to my knees, and the goblin readies another swing. I recover just in time to dodge it, and manage to set off another Fire on him. He barely lives and charges me again, but this time I'm ready and leap away at the last moment, and finish him off with another spell. When he falls, he drops Blizzard magicite, and I decide to try this new spell for a while. I Cure myself and continue along the river. 

My luck continues when another enemy drops Blizzard magicite. With both equipped, I can cast the more powerful Blizzara, which does more damage and has a bigger radius. I'm shaky with it at first, unused to the longer time it takes to cast it, and end up taking several hits while getting used to it. But by the time I reach a sign warning of danger immediately up the path, I've got Blizzara well figured out. Heading along, I reach a clearing with cliffs rising up around me and a beautiful waterfall cascading down into a small clear pool ahead of me. Despite the wonderful scenery, I feel dread, as though something awful were watching me. From somewhere nearby, I hear a shuffeling noise, growing louder and louder. I turn in every direction, looking up and down the cliff walls trying to locate the source. At the last second, I noticed the hulking shadow behind the waterfall before the giant crab leaps out, landing right in front of me and slashing with its claws in challenge. I ward it off with my hammer and jump back to a safe distance to cast Blizzara, but I need to cancel the spell early in order to dodge its own Thunder. I have to keep dodging for a while before I finally get my chance to strike, and I'm pleased to see that my Blizzara spell hits it hard. The fight continues like this, with plenty of dodging and needing to be quick to set off my own spell, but at last I wear the creature down, and it collapses in defeat. Thanks to the crab's entrance, I know there is a secret path behind the waterfall, and I travel through it on a hunch. Sure enough, the tunnel opens up into a cavern in the cliff, with the myrrh tree growing serenely in the center. I take the chalice from Mog and place it in front of the tree. The leaves shimmer for a few seconds, and then a drop of clear blue liquid drops from them into the chalice. My first drop of myrrh!

I take a quick rest in the cavern, sitting against the spent myrrh tree. I'm surprised by a call of "Kupo!" as I'm found by another moogle, a carrier with a large mail bag. He drops a letter into my lap and flies circles around my head, waiting for me to read it and send a reply. It's a letter from the village elder, Roland, wishing me luck and reminding me that I always have a home to return to in Tipa. I write back a short letter thanking him, and give it to the mail moogle to send. Feeling rested and uplifted, I return to my caravan, where Jet and Diane greet me joyfully. They surprise me with a bundle of star carrots they found while I was gone, and we have a small celebration that night, gathered around a campfire. We tell each other old jokes and they prod me into telling stories. I greatly exaggerate my tales of what I found in River Belle Path, managing to get Jet practically trembling before Diane laughs and calls my bluff. Despite all the trials, I believe that I've truly found my purpose in life as a caravanner.

--

December 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Resisting the urge to make a Giant Enemy Crab joke...

I seriously agree with linking us to the music, too. This might be the best soundtrack in the history of the Gamecube. Good work again!

--

The destructor has gone

December 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Crystal Chronicals will always stick out to me as a great but overlooked game. It is too bad the multiplayer was so handicapped by the hardware involved. The story left so much room for Roleplay that it would have been a great game to play together. Like DnD set in Final Fantasy worlds, friends could have gotten together and played a story with their own characters!

I hope you do beat the game too, I too have never finished it. Really interested to see post Veo Lu Sluce because that is as far as I can usually make it when I try to replay the game.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 19, 2013 at 5:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I've always been sad at about how overlooked the game is, it's multiplayer really does have a ton of potential. It's such a shame how difficult it is to get multiple players, especially nowadays. Not too many people around that held on to a gamecube link cable and a GBA or SP. But man, that kind of campaign would be insanely fun!

Thank you! I've restarted this game more times than I can recollect, honestly. I've even made it to the final boss before but wasn't able to beat him. Hopefully I'll be better prepared this time! I'll try to update again within the next few days.

--

December 24, 2013 at 5:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

With the collection of myrrh from the River Belle Path, there is now nothing else for us in the Tipa Peninsula. We must carry through to the next area, which means crossing through a miasma stream. Here, we must pass through a narrow path where the miasma is highly consentrated, and only by having our chalice tuned to the right element are we able to pass. We had been warned ahead of time that this miasma stream was charged with the element of water this year, and so thankfully had already tuned our chalice to this element while at the River Belle Path. At the entrance of the miasma stream, we are surprised to run into Stiltzkin, the adventurous moogle that had been traveling with the Alfitaria caravan. He had apparently been gathering up his nerve to cross the unsettling place, and was glad to chat with us for a bit of a distraction. He explained his reasons for traveling in tryting to discover more about the origin of moogles. He was wondering, since both moogles and monsters were immune to the miasma, if that meant moogles were actually monsters. He was seeking the answer to this, but admitted that the truth probably wouldn't change anything. I agreed with him, but still, as we passed the stream and continued onwards to the Ironmine Downs region, I couldn't help but glance suspiciously at Mog now and then. We settled down for camp when we had made enough distance from the miasma stream to put it out of our minds, and with a new morning continued onwards to our next destination.

[music]

The Mushroom Forest. The name is incredibly apt; the mushrooms that grow here tower above me, as tall as trees. Almost instantly upon entering, I'm ambushed by imps and giant caterpillars. Without magicite, it's difficult for me to fight them off, especially since the imps hit hard enough to knock the air out of me for a few seconds. Still, after plenty of dodging and lucky strikes with my hammer, I manage to slay them. I'm rewarded with Fire and Blizzard magicite, the former of which I correctly guess many of the enemies here will be weak to. Sure enough, the next giant caterpillar I come across falls quickly to the flames. 

With magic again at my disposal, the new enemies I come across are not too frightening. The living plants here that spit up balls of acid are susceptible both to Fire and to Blizzard, and do not pose much of a threat. The flying Ahrimans are difficult until I remember from my training that I can fuse together Fire and Blizzard to cast Gravity. Once forced to the ground, there is little that these winged creatures can do. The biggest challenge here is the environment: the endless giant mushrooms and winding, overgrown path are difficult to navigate. I often find myself sure that I've passed the same fungi of unusual size several times, and by the time I reach what I believe just might be the heart of the forest, I had never been so disgusted with mushrooms. Not even when my father was inspired to try to make mushroom soup with fish and pineapples. 

After squeezing past a particularly narrow part of the path, I find myself in a wide clearing. I'm struck with a familiar dread, and prepare my Fira spell while I cautiously proceed. A horrid stench in the air reminded me of a certain passage in my Book of Vile Creatures; I must be nearby a Malboro, a vicious tentacled beast with many squirming eyes and a foul breath that could make the weaker of stomach faint. Sure enough, at the edge of the clearing, I find the writhing green mess, which I had managed to miss due to the fact that it was only about two feet tall. I can't help but fall into a giggling fit at the tiny creeature. If this is all I have to deal with to get to the myrrh tree, this should be simple! My joy is cut short when the Malboro takes in a gigantic gasp of air, sucking in the spores from the surrounding mushrooms. Almost instantly, the Malboro expands into a towering giant, taller than any of the mushrooms in this blasted forest. What in the world is with this place and things being way too big? I don't have much time to be frustrated with this, as the Malboro begins sucking in the air again, this time with enough force to drag me to it. Poor Mog can barely keep himself from being sucked into the beast's mouth, and I have to order him to drop the chalice and focus on keeping himself safe. I rush for the chalice, grab it from where it dropped inches in front of the Malboro, and rush back out of range as it lashes out with its tentacles. It growls as I retreat and tries to suck me towards it again, and I realize that with its new enormous size, it must have lost the ability to move. I use this to my full advantage: I drop the chalice and prepare a Fira spell while it drags me closer, and by the time the spell is ready to cast, the beast is within its range. I blast it with fire, grab the chalice, and retreat before it can strike. The Malboro is thankfully none too clever, and attempts to suck me toward it again and again, only to get blasted with fire before I again retreat out of its range. The unreasonably large creature falls quickly to this tactic, leaving me to triumphantly continue onwards to the myrrh tree it had been gaurding. 

After collecting a drop of myrrh, I was visited again by the mail moogle. This time, he delivered a letter from my father, reminding me to make use of my magical talents to most benefit the caravan. It was tempting to respond with a sarcastic remark, considering how much I had already come to rely on magic, but I checked myself and replied with a sincere thank you and a gift of a vegetable seed that had dropped from one of the living plants. After all, on this long journey, it would be a wonderful respite to return to a loving family each year. And with only one more drop of myrrh to collect, that time was fast approaching.

--

January 2, 2014 at 6:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I loved this setting but hated this map if that makes sense lol. 

Unrelated but anyone else think it is weird Moogles weren't a playable race? I could see them fitting into this world FF: Tactics style easy.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

January 6, 2014 at 8:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

624 views - 0 comments
818 views - 4 comments