Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Preparation for the Future

Xelakian

I've begun work on my next project. But, my difficulty now lies in the gym leaders. My story requires new ones. That's where all of you come in.

If you would like to help, suggest gym leader names, personalities, type, pokemon used, gimmicks, etc.

-    -    -

The past is dead.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

June 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I've always thought the Dark type needed a Gym Leader. It's been represented thrice by the Elite Four, but Karen hardly counts since she's half poison anyway.

I picture a small, sickly man with black hair and perhaps a weak mustache, much in the mold of Edgar Allan Poe or Charles Baudelaire. Edgar or Charles wouldn't be a bad name for him, actually. Personality, quiet; pensive. Dark, naturally.

Umbreon is a nice Pokémon for a Gym Leader to have. Annoying, but not too hard to take down as long as it doesn't have Wish/Protect/Toxic. Sableye is another good one, no weaknesses, but also bad stats. Houndoom is a good, intimidating "closer," or "face" of the team. A Honchcrow would kind of be required if you name him Edgar. Finally, Drapion is nice and scary, too.

The above is in the mold of a late-game Dark Gym. If you want him in there early, a better team might be Umbreon, Murkrow, Sneasel, Houndoom.

I'll post again if a new idea comes to me.

--

The destructor has gone

June 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

What exactly is this project? Sounds interesting! And maybe a Ground gym? I'd imagine a tough girl named Sandy being the leader. She would come across as very proud and confident, maybe even boastful. If she's beat, she would act very surprised. She's incredibly blunt, but she is nice. She'd probably be a mid or late gym, and her main gimmick could be lowering her opponent's accuracy or other stats, or raising her own stats. The level to which this is carried out can be adjusted depending on how annoying/difficult you want her gym to be. Her starting Pokemon could be a Hippopotas to start up a Sandstorm, and I'd imagine a Dugtrio with either Sand Veil or Arena Trap would make for a good closing Pokemon. Quagsire might make for a good middle Pokemon. Moves that lower the opponent's stats or raise the user's stats would likely be a staple in this gym. 

--

June 6, 2013 at 11:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

If you're looking for a fun, non-traditional gym, I might suggest a "Troll Gym." I see a flamboyant leader, named after a great troll like Eduard or Chad or Greg, with a gym full of Pokémon you hate to face: Shedinja, Wobbuffett, Stunfisk, Dunsparce, Chatot. Maybe some hideous, time-consuming puzzle to get to him too. The gym trainers chould specialize in various haxy things like Focus Bands, Quick Claws, and Double Team/Attract/Protect spamming.

--

The destructor has gone

June 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

As strange as it sounds, I also think the Psychic type is a little under-represented in Gyms, too; They've only had Sabrina, from a generation in which there were like 4 different Psychic types in the whole game, and Liza and Tate, who really weren't a "Psychic Gym" so much as they were a "Double Battle Gym." Perhaps your Psychic Gym could focus more on the defensive Psychics; Musharna, Hypno, Bronzong, Reuniclus, etc. A stern old teacher-lady would fit this mold, I think, with a name like Beth or Doris or something.

Also, the law of Pokémon region creation says you have to have a Water Gym. You don't actually have to if you don't want to, but I think a unique way to approach it would be "Water with weird subtypes." How about an early, low-level Gym, with Frillish, Chinchou, Palpitoad, and Ludicolo as the "boss?" It might be a good way to teach trainers early on how to type match against weird, unorthodox typings. And I don't know why, but for some reason I'm imagining a youngish girl who really idolized Misty growing up, and sort of emulates her maybe. Perhaps the side ponytail, but hair a different color than red? Similar personality to Misty?

--

The destructor has gone

June 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

So, for the time being, I will reveal that I want to do a mod. However, I have no real way of going about it. Yet. However, my first step will be the story, which I'm in the process of making via Nuzlocke.

--

June 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Well, that's pretty much the best thing I've heard in a very long time. If there's any way at all I can help, just let me know and I'd be glad to.

I don't know much about Pokémon modding, but I do know the GBA engine is by far the easiest to work with, as it is both relatively primative by today's standards and has the most tools readily available to work with. Keeping that in mind, you may want to exclude any Pokémon or game features not present as of 3rd Gen.

And of course, if you can find room to work some of us/our characters in there, that would be beyond amazing.

--

The destructor has gone

June 6, 2013 at 4:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

So, just downloaded some modding tools, and holy fuck, I had forgotten how complex making a game was. Mostly, I think I just need to get the story rolling and make the game much, much further down the road.

--

June 8, 2013 at 12:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Need any more help with the elements of your region, then? E4, dungeons, Pokémon selection, starters?

--

The destructor has gone

June 8, 2013 at 1:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

180 views - 0 comments
175 views - 1 comment
237 views - 4 comments
200 views - 0 comments