Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Nick's Random LG Nuzlocke That He Started in July and Didn't Tell You About Until Just Now

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

During the last month or so of my long, hot summer in the construction business, I started up my own little LeafGreen Nuzlocke, just to give me something to do other than work. I had so little time for fun, I played this whenever I got the chance. Mostly during my lunch break, trips to the bathroom, and waiting in my dump truck for the next load of dirt to be ready, I managed to run this all the way from Pallet Town to Cinnabar Island.

The theme of this run is "shitty Natures." Not one of my encounters has had a good Nature, and many planned team members have been ruined by simply horrible ones. I wanted to use a Flareon on this team. My Eevee came Timid. A Bold Hitmonlee. A Modest Aerodactyl. MODEST. My one stroke of luck came in the form of encountering and capturing an Abra on Route 24. But as far as Natures go, everything on my team ranges from "neutral" to "less-than-crippling."

Largely due to frustration over my uncanny inability to even complete my team of six, I quit playing after beating Blaine and running the Sevii Islands sidequest. However, in my frustration, I had forgotten what a mental reprieve this run had given me when I needed it the most, and how great the run has gone in spite of all the adversity. I only lost one Pokemon, Shrusan the Sandslash, to a ridiculously overleveled Primeape in the Saffron Dojo, but I had McDonagh to fill in and avenge her. Skye the Defensive Butterfree has actually been amazingly valuable, too, serving as an excellent sweeper/closer for this team.

My rules are, in addition to the two most basic rules of Nuzlocke, to limit my healing item use to solely that which I find on the ground, and to play in "Set" mode except for Gym Leader, Elite Four, and Champion fights, where I change over to "Shift." Also, unlike my prior runs, I can't catch the Legendary Birds.

Oh, and my naming theme is for all my males to be named after New York Rangers hockey players. This obviously started before I knew there was going to be a strike -.- I miss hockey...

So, now I'll tell you guys about it. No fancy narrations. Just updates, like the old days. There's not that much more to go anyway...

06DEC12

Callahan (Blastoise) - lv.48

Skye (Butterfree) - lv.47

Tortorella (Alakazam) - lv.46

McDonagh (Sandslash) - lv.46

Biron (Snorlax) - lv.45

Stepan (Pidgeotto) - lv.22 [Designated Flyer]

Skye the Butterfree swept Giovanni by herself. Her Sassy Nature meant a traditional, Speed + Sp.Atk set was out of the question for her, but it was one of the few I was able to turn around into a bold new Butterfree set: Defensive. I kept Harden on her, and her strat is to Sleep Powder the foe with 97.5% accuracy thanks to Compoundeyes, and Harden up until they wake up. Then she can either Sleep again, or start attacking with Giga Drain (for recovery) or Psybeam (may replace with Psychic soon). In-game, especially against trainers with 3 or more Pokemon, this set works absolute wonders, as evidenced by the fact that it swept the final Gym Leader.

Next was the fight with Gary, which I knew would be hard due to his diverse party and the "Set" rule. As my rival, he's my equal, and therefore I can't give myself an unfair advantage by enabling Shift Mode. The next time I face him, he'll be Champion and I can Shift then, but now I have to work around giving him free attacks to avoid having my Pokemon killed by super-effective moves. Thanks again to Skye and her Sleep Powder and x4 resistance to Grass, she's able to set up on his Venusaur and things go fairly well. Until his Gyarados shows up. Or would that be a Garydos in this case? Get it? GARYdos? Cause it's Gary's? Yep. Maybe I've been spending too much time around Casey lately... Actually not, she's been busy as hell lately. 

BUT ANYWAY.

My only answer for Garydos is Callahan, my Blastoise, as everything else is either to frail physically or weak to Water. It gets a Rain Dance up and starts Hydro Pumping, and thanks to a few crucial crits, it takes Callahan all the way down to 6 HP. Yikes. Fortunately, the Rain stopped on that turn, and I was able to switch out to Biron who Body Slammed it away, then Hyper Beamed his Alakazam for the win!

Tomorrow, I trek into Victory Road, where I try one last time to find the 6th member for my team. If it's something I don't need or something with yet another shitty Nature, I guess I'm just going in with a fodder slot. 

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2012 at 12:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

I find it funny that you begin posting your LG Nuzlocke around the point where I had to abandon mine. It's also a bit odd seeing an HM whore in a standard Nuzlocke party. I usually pull them out seperately if needed, as that sixth spot is often vital for filling in gaps. I'm not seeing any real defensive gaps in your party, but it's still something that seems weird to me.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

December 7, 2012 at 4:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

That's because my talent pool has really just been that bad. I used a five-Poke party all the way from the beginning of the game until the above update. However, that has been rectified now...

07DEC12

Callahan (Blastoise) - lv.48

Skye (Butterfree) - lv.47

Tortorella (Alakazam) - lv.46

McDonagh (Sandslash) - lv.46

Biron (Snorlax) - lv.45

Nerf Nuke (Weezing) lv.45

Very little progress today, save for plugging a huge hole in my team in a creative way. I began by rolling the dice one last time, on Route 23 and in Victory Road. Unfortunately, neither gave me very much in the way of help: a lv.21 Slowpoke in the waters of Route 23, and a lv.43 Onix right in front of the entrance to Victory Road. McDonagh Dug me out of the cave and Stepan Flew me back to Viridian City, where I reassesed my options.

I narrowed it down to four: That lv.43 Onix I just caught, mostly just for walling and lack of effort, as it was close to high leveled enough already... My lv.25 Timid Eevee, that I had initially planned to make a Flareon, but was now considering as a Jolteon... A lv.17 Gastly who easily would've made my team were it not for Tortorella, but in Gen 3, 'Zam's and Gengar's abilities are a little redundant... And, finally, a lv.28 Modest Koffing I caught in Cinnibar Mansion, Nerf Nuke.

Gastly, to me, wasn't worth the time, effort, or TMs, just to have something that did the job Tortorella was already doing, just a little worse. The Jolteon idea didn't appeal to me, as all it can really do is Bite and Thunderbolt. Onix would have basically just been glorified fodder, as its only possible offensive capability was already outclassed by McDonagh. So that led me to look even longer and harder at Nerf Nuke the Koffing. Her Modest Nature meant I could spend my Fire Blast TM on her and still have it put to good use, as Fire was a type I was sorely lacking on this team. She can learn Thunderbolt as well, but for now, I'm content with Shock Wave. Her typing leaves her weak to only Psychic, and her natural Physical bulk and type resistances grants extra protection to Skye and Biron, two fairly Physically weak walls of mine (at least, assuming Skye doesn't have a chance to set up).

But what for the last two slots? Her Modest Nature meant that her already subpar Poison moves would be all but useless, and Explosion is not a move I like to pack in Nuzlockes, not even for emergencies. Just sends the wrong message. So I looked through my TMs, and... Well, this is where I got a bit creative.

Fire Blast, Shock Wave, Double Team, Attract.

Yes, I know the thought of a Weezing using Attract is nothing short of horrifying. But against the primarily male Elite Four and Champion, a bulky, female Poke with attract gets lots of opporunities for hax. Find something male early on that won't wreck her. Attract, and then proceed to Double Team a few times. The odds of a successful attack become very low, giving me plenty of time to heal up other injured Pokes, or just chip away at my opponent with never-missing Shock Waves.

I know this is VERY unorthodox, but that only makes me like it more. I get to try out a fun, haxy strat, while also filling two offensive holes in Fire and Electric, and thanks to her Nature, pretty damn well, at that (her Sp.Atk at lv.45 is already abpout 110. Not bad at all).

So, today's play time was mostly spent testing out that strat and taking her from lv.28 to 45. This was all made MUCH easier with the aid of the VS Seeker, a tool I forgot to get in my first LG Nuzlocke. Just trying to decide how high to level my team now. I'll probably go for a floor of 48 with everyone, then head into Victory Road to actually clear it.

--

The destructor has gone

December 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

I always approve of poison types on any team. They're a highly overlooked type with wide, haxy movepools and good overall defenses, only being concerned with ground and psychic, the former of which Weezing is immune to. And I thoroughly approve of the shenanigans that Nerf Nuke is sure to cause.

--

December 8, 2012 at 1:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I, too, share your appreciation of the Poison-type. I think there's an unfair stigma attached to the type, particularly among fans from the first Generation... Back when the Psychic-type had virtually no check (no Bug move stronger than Leech Life, no Ghost move other than the fixed-damage Night Shade, and no Dark type period), Poison-type served as little more than Psychic's punching bag, then. Plus, Pokemon like Koffing and Ekans had the "zomg Team Rocket's Pokemans" thing going against them. It's been a slow climb, but as the Generations have progressed, the Poison-type has been balanced out nicely.

While, from an attacking standpoint, Poison is really a very poor type (effective only against Grass, although I always thought it was bullshit that it's not strong against Bug too. What the hell do they think people kill bugs with?), most good Poison-type Pokemon excell at one or both of the following things: defense and trolling. Weezing is one of those great ones that excells at both.

Another of those is Crobat, who I finally tried out for the first time in my blind White 2 run. I have to say, I wish I'd done it sooner. Also in the category of things-X-said-I-should-try-but-I-still-haven't, I did catch a nice Venonat in the Safari Zone in this run. I wanted to use him, but there was no way I was dropping Skye at that point. I love that Butterfree.

--

The destructor has gone

December 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

On a similar note, I have been playing my W2 Nuzlocke, and I too caught a Koffing. It's actually turned out pretty useful so far. I'm gonna try to post a bit today. I've got a hell of a lot of catching up to do...

--

December 8, 2012 at 9:35 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

09DEC12

Callahan (Blastoise) lv.50

Skye (Butterfree) lv.50

Tortorella (Alakazam) lv.50

McDonagh (Sandslash) lv.50

Biron (Snorlax) lv.45

Nerf Nuke (Weezing) lv.50

I haven't played much this weekend, nor have I made any progress in Victory Road at all. Just a bit of VS Seeker grinding with some bikers on top of Cycling Road. Everyone is now lv.50, except for Biron... Snorlax's altered experience rate makes him level up slower than his counterparts, and is making for a slightly frustrating time.

I know I'll be in and out of Victory Road for healing, so I'm considering overleveling Skye now, to about lv.55, and then leaving her out to make party space for Stepan the Flying Pidgeotto for easier travel. He can't fly me back to the cave, but his Fly and McDonagh's Dig guarantees I won't lose a Pokemon to poison, or have to spend an item to cure it.

--

The destructor has gone

December 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Whew. We made it through Victory Road in one pass, and like any self-respecting team full of hockey players, we were all bruised, but none of us beaten. Some trainers were skipped, and I'll probably leave them that way; the VS Seeker renders them irrelevant anyway.

Now that I can Fly straight to the Indigo Plateau anytime I want, I Flew myself back to Celadon City where I played the slots until I accumulated 2600 coins, then bought the other 1500 I needed to buy the Ice Beam TM for Callahan. I also sold off all my other unwanted TMs, leaving me with 128,106 PokeYen at the present time. This number can increase with VS Seeker grinding, especially if I evolve some things to get the Amulet Coin (I need 40 Pokemon caught to receive it; I have 38. By evolving some things I can get the last 2). I'm trying to decide if I should spend that money to get Nerf Nuke the Thunderbolt TM (I need 80,000 PokeYen to buy the Coins needed, or a few hours of my life to play the slots and earn the money that way. If I do get the TM, it will be the former), but I think the money may be better spent on EV-boosting drinks for my guys. I'd love to get Skye and Biron some extra Defense, in particular, and some more Speed for McDonagh couldn't hurt anything either.

I'd like your suggestions regarding all the above issues, and others as well. So, I'll now post a complete summary of my team as it stands now. They'll be leveled up a little more before I take on the Elite Four, but they're pretty much done.

Callahan (Blastoise) lv.51

Nature: Docile

Ability: Torrent

HP: 154

ATK: 111

DEF: 120

Sp.ATK: 113

Sp.DEF: 128

SPD: 107

Moveset: Surf, Ice Beam, Bite, Brick Break

Trainer's notes: Callahan figures to be absolutely key to a successful E4 run. I plan on him Brick Breaking his way through Lorelei's Ice-types, Surfing Bruno's Onixes into oblivion, possibly Biting a few of Agatha's Ghosts, and Ice Beaming Lance's Dragons. Has at least one super-effective move against all of Gary's Pokemon except Garydos, too. This moveset will not change.

Skye (Butterfree) lv.50

Nature: Sassy

Ability: Compoundeyes

HP: 138

ATK: 75

DEF: 73

Sp.ATK: 106

Sp.DEF: 110

SPD: 82

Moveset: Giga Drain, Psychic, Sleep Powder, Harden

Trainer's notes: I love this Butterfree all to pieces, and she more than anyone else has perhaps epitomized this run. However, I'm just not sure how much action she's gonna see in this finale. She's got plenty of ways to handle plenty of the opposition, but for each one, a teammate of hers can take it out more efficiently and with less danger to themselves. I wouldn't leave her out for anything, though; her virtually sure-thing Sleep Powders and her x4 resistances to Grass and Fighting, and oh-by-the-way complete immunity to Ground, will leave her an invaluable member whenever I may get in a bind. This moveset is staying, also.

Tortorella (Alakazam) lv.50

Nature: Bold

Ability: Inner Focus

HP: 128

ATK: 66

DEF: 66

Sp.ATK: 146

Sp.DEF: 93

SPD: 132

Moveset: Psychic, Thief, Recover, Reflect

Trainer's notes: How lucky was I to get a 'Zam, huh? He should be able to sweep Bruno and Agatha by himself, and there's absolutely nothing on Lance's team that will like a STAB Psychic from a 'Zam. I'm considering replacing Reflect for Calm Mind so Sweeping is a possibility; I'm considering this quite strongly, in fact. Everything else is a lock.

McDonagh (Sandslash) lv.50

Nature: Bashful

Ability: Sand Veil

HP: 140

ATK: 123

DEF: 129

Sp.ATK: 55

Sp.DEF: 70

SPD: 98

Moveset: Earthquake, Brick Break, Aerial Ace, Rock Tomb

Trainer's notes: I had another Sandslash named Shrusan who preceeded young McDonagh. It was my first time seriously using one, and I loved her combined Speed, Attack, and Defensive prowess. Sadly, I bit off more than I could chew in the Saffron Dojo and at lv.28, she was killed by a level THIRTY-SIX Primeape. Seriously, what was a Primeape that strong doing there? I kid, it was my fault and mine alone. I slotted McDonagh in after that, and I always imagined him on a quest to avenge Shrusan for the rest of the run. This is another moveset that is pretty much set with some of the best physical TM moves in the game. I am thinking about going back into Rock Tunnel and tutoring Rock Slide onto him instead of Rock Tomb, for added power, added accuracy, and flinch hax.

Biron (Snorlax) lv.46

Nature: Mild

Ability: Thick Fat

HP: 221

ATK: 121

DEF: 66

Sp.ATK: 79

Sp.DEF: 114

SPD: 43

Moveset: Body Slam, Brick Break, Rest, Hyper Beam

Trainer's notes: Mild is a terrible Nature for a Snorlax, as stong Physical attacks are already his weakness. But on the Special side, Biron walls almost as well as a Chansey, and unlike her, he can actually hit back. STAB Body Slam is powerful enough, but a STAB Hyper Beam from a Snorlax is a destructive force like no other on this team. Rest is not entirely necessary at this point, but I'm not sure what I'd replace it with, having already spent my EQ TM on McDonagh.

Nerf Nuke (Weezing) lv.51

Nature: Modest

Ability: Levitate

HP: 138

ATK: 92

DEF: 162

Sp.ATK: 122

Sp.DEF: 92

SPD: 82

Moveset: Fire Blast, Shock Wave, Double Team, Attract

Trainer's notes: Boy, am I glad I went with her for my sixth member. That Special Attack is really high, and that Defense is simply otherworldly. She completely lols over any Physical move, getting plenty of chances to set up Double Team hax. That Special Attack is definitely good enough to make Fire Blast REALLY hurt, and Shock Wave hurt enough versus any Water or Flying types that stand in her way. Not changing this set.

This evening and into tomorrow, I'll continue VS Seeker grinding until I feel I'm ready. With both Shift mode and item use on my side, I frankly feel obligated to go in just a little underleveled, but at the same time I don't want to get anybody killed with my hubris. Levels in there will range from Lorelei's lv.51 Cloyster to Gary's lv.63 Venusaur. What do you think sounds reasonable? I also have 8 Rare Candies I've been saving, by the way.

--

The destructor has gone

December 10, 2012 at 3:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

(OMG hi guys! I finally have a break from my life of school. What has been going on?)

lv.55-58 seems reasonable. That is what I would usually use when I ran LG and FR, although I was never on a Nuzocke.

Good luck!

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

December 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

CJ! Welcome back. A little has been going on, as you can see. Hopefully more once everyone else gets done with school, too. We should totally plan another Battle Night, or something.

That sounds reasonable to me too, I think that's what I'll shoot for.

--

The destructor has gone

December 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

My rule of thumb for nuzlocke's are always, "If you use a legendary, lower your level to compensate, but if you don't, level up to the mid point between the lowest and highest level you'll face."  In this case, I'd say level your pokemon up to between 55-57 for sure; if not higher. Also, I remember anytime I have played against a Gary Venasaur (which albeit has literally been once on my first playthrough of LG) he/she/it tends to wreck shop. So I'd take whoever you plan to counter it and buff their level up close to 59-60.

That's just my personal preference though. I don't think going to shift and using items is enough to make you handicap your team, honestly. It *is* an advantage, no doubt, but you're going in with an unorthodox team and with less items that is typically used.

On a side note, if you're focused on leveling, I would suggest making a new nuzlocke in which you cap your levels pre-run. Or maybe even do a low level run in which you can catch anything you want to, but your max level is 50 - not including level gained while fighting the E4 of course (still limiting item use

--

December 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Wow, thanks for the thorough opinions, both of you. You seem to be in pretty close agreement, and I can't argue. If I go to 55, Lorelei, Bruno, and Agatha should be pretty much automatic wins just based on matchups... it's only Lance and Gary I'm worried about. Although with a Fire Blasting Weezing and a Psychicing Butterfree, I'm not too concerned about Gary's Venusaur. It's mostly his Garydos and Exeggutor that worry me. On Lance's side, it's Gyarados and Dragonite. I've definitely got ways to handle all four of those Pokemon, it's just a matter of the toll they take on my Pokemon.

After considering everything, I'm thinking 57 sounds like the way to go, though I may grow a little braver as I level. I can't see myself dipping below 55, though.

--

The destructor has gone

December 11, 2012 at 4:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Awesome! 

I would say your Weezing is the best bet against any Gyarados. Immune to EQ + Shock Wave + a nice defense should pull you through. Surely she can get a 2HKO.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I think Nerf Nuke is my ONLY option, other than chipping away with Callahan's Ice Beam. I'm also starting to think more and more that I need Thunderbolt over Shock Wave. It's just 80,000 PokeYen, and it looks like I'll have about 200,000 by the time I grind everyone up to 55-57.

Here's what I did today:

12DEC12

Callahan (Blastoise) lv.53

Skye (Butterfree) lv.53

Tortorella (Alakazam) lv.51

McDonagh (Sandslash) lv.51

Biron (Snorlax) lv.49

Nerf Nuke (Weezing) lv.51

Getting there. Also, I remembered a Rare Candy I forgot to pick up, giving me 9 in total. Most of those will be going to Biron.

--

The destructor has gone

December 12, 2012 at 7:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Thunderbolt ftw.

Seriously, go TB. It's not like you'll need money for anything else! Besides, Weezing with TB is insane. Especially your particular Weezing.

--

December 13, 2012 at 2:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Preparations are complete.

13DEC12

Callahan (Blastoise) lv.55

Skye (Butterfree) lv.55

Tortorella (Alakazam) lv.55

McDonagh (Sandslash) lv.55

Biron (Snorlax) lv.55

Nerf Nuke (Weezing) lv.55

And this is how I'm going in. I did get a little braver; I think lv.55 is very doable, but still quite challenging. I still expect to make it all the way without losing any Pokemon.

I did listen to Diddy, and I got Nerf Nuke Thunderbolt. I also gave Tortorella Calm Mind over Reflect. The rest of my money was spent on HP Ups for Skye, Biron, and Callahan.

I got the Itemfinder and grabbed those two Leftovers under the Snorlax spots, giving one to Callahan and one to Nerf Nuke, as I figure those two will be doing the most tanking and will most appreciate little bits of recovery. 

The only question now is when and how I do it. I can stream this if anyone wants me to, but if so I have to insist on doing it when Casey can be present, which will be no earlier than Saturday, and likely more like Monday. Or, I can record my run and post it as a video. Or, I can just do it and post about it. If the consensus is for me to do that, I'll probably do it tomorrow after lunch and have the results up tomorrow night. Doesn't matter to me what we do here; I'm just focused on winning this.

--

The destructor has gone

December 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Do what you feel is most comfortable. My last final was today and I'll be going home tomorrow. Aftert that you can expect my on twice daily (or more). So whatever you choose I'll be able to catch and attend or read at least.

Good changes btw, never would have thought of TB on Weezing. I guess I forgot it learned it.

--

Ask me about my waifus

December 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I agree with CJ- I'm up for whatever works for you. If you stream it, and I'm not at work, I'll tune in. If you type it, I'll read it and if its... anything else I'll do the appropriate verb.

--

December 14, 2012 at 9:09 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I finished this tonight. I streamed it live for Casey on Skype.

I did not prepare the team any more after my last post; going in, the whole party was lv.55. Going into Lorelei, I decided to let Biron and his Thick Fat tank through most of it until it came to her Lapras. I didn't want her Body Slamming my Snorlax, so I let Callahan, my Blastoise, my starter tank it. Confuse Ray, eventual Body Slam parahax, and two Full Restores complicate things, but Callahan finally gets her to the red after all her Full Restores. He's at 65 HP, paralyzed, and confused. Body Slam was consistently doing exactly 30 damage.

Casey can attest to the truth in my story: I contemplated a Full Restore of my own, and I outlined for her, right there, the only way I could lose my Blastoise on that turn. All of the following conditions had to be met:

1. Body Slam had to crit (6.5%)

2. Callahan had to still be confused (25%; stacked with the above, 1.625%)

3. Callahan had to hurt himself in his confusion (50%; stacked with the above, 0.8125%)

Barring the percentage calculations, I said exactly that to her. And on that turn:

Body Slam got a critical hit, Callahan lived with 3 HP,

Callahan was still confused,

...and Callahan landed a successful Brick Break to knock out Lapras.

After a chain of events that had just over a 1% chance of occuring, I won a coin flip to keep my starter and team captain.

That was by far the most eventful battle of the run, as Lorelei often is in Kanto E4 runs. Bruno was swept by Callahan and Nerf Nuke, Agatha went down to 5 Tortorella Psychics, and Lance... Lance got interesting.

I swept Lance with a Weezing. How many people do you know who can say THAT? You could do it too, actually. Weezing is quite capable, and mine was perfectly set for him.

On his lead Gyarados, my female Weezing Attracted, and then proceeded to set up six Double Teams. Gyara had seemingly uncanny luck hitting through my wall of lust and ninjitsu, so I did have to use a few items for this part. Once I got my +6 Evade, I T-Bolted the Gyara away, and his Aerodactyl fell in similar fashion.

Then came Nitetime. Thankfully, Safeguard doesn't block Attraction, so he fell prey to Nerf Nuke's irresistable good looks just like his comrades. I had to slowly chip him down, twice thanks to a Full Restore, and in the process he managed to land one Outrage. This easily took her from full health down to about 40%; a crit would have OHKO'd. No crits were had in this fight though, for him or for me, as finally she whittled down his Nite, and his Dragonairs in just as slow, but far less dangerous, fashion.

Finally, it was Gary's turn. I led with Nerf Nuke against his Pidgeot; knowing it had Whirlwind at its disposal, I knew setting up fully would likely be a waste, so I just Attracted it, got two DTs, and T-Bolted it away. He followed with Alakazam, which I was about to have no part of, so I switched to my own 'Zam, Tortorella. His 'Zam had one more level on mine, but mine had two things his did not:

Calm Mind,

and a Dark Move.

Torts just had to set up Calm Minds and Recover when necessary (which was kind of often; he got TWO Sp.Def drops with his Psychics in this sequence). Once +6 Sp.Atk, Torts used one Thief to get rid of it, and then proceeded to sweep his entire team with +6 STAB Psychics. 

In total, I used two Super Potions, a Hyper Potion, a Full Restore, a few Ethers and Elixers, and the PokeFlute a time or two thanks to Lorelei's Jynx. All of these were during my E4 run, I held off on items throughout the run until then. I also took the E4 challenge in Shift mode; the rest of the game, save for Gym fights, was played in Set.

I lost one Pokemon, Shrusan the Sandslash, to the lv.36 Primeape in the Saffron Dojo. From now on, I will avoid that trainer entirely in Kanto Nuzlockes. That thing is ridiculously overpowered, I was lucky to lose only Shrusan to him, and my only mistake was engaging him in the first place while most of his peers' Pokemon, in the same building, are 6-10 levels below his Primeape. Just don't poke that bear. That was my only mistake, and Shrusan paid for it.

Skye the Butterfree and McDonagh the Sandslash saw no action in the E4 run, but both were so great for me throughout the rest of the run. I'm taking them along with everyone else over to 4th and eventually 5th gen, where I will love the shit out of them and not have to worry about getting them killed.

As for the rest of the guys, Callahan was just a tankmonster, that's all there is to it. I couldn't ask for a better team captain, much like his hockey-playing namesake. That Lapras fight was all kinds of amazing, coming back to finish the thing after being crithaxed, parahaxed, at 3 HP and confused. What a trooper. The anchor of the team; that's why he's the Captain.

Tortorella was a blessing that made this whole journey so much easier than it should have been. One of my few strokes of luck where encounters were concerned. The coach, the mastermind, and the one who finished the final battle.

Biron was a pain to catch and a pain to train, and he made me put up with an awful Nature that made him even more physically frail than Snorlax usually are. But what can you ask of your backup goaltender, eh? He did everything I needed him to do, and without him, Callahan would have had to shoulder the burden of the whole Lorelei fight, likely resulting in his death against the Lapras instead of that near-miss. Solid Poke. Great fighter.

And Nerf Nuke. Oh how long I searched for a sixth before finally "settling" on her. Truth is, without her and her unique set, I have no idea how I would have beaten the Elite Four. It sure as hell wouldn't have been at lv.55, I'll tell you that much. And it probably wouldn't have been with no deaths. An Attract-evading Weezing is something I'll always be able to claim as my own.

I daresay going into the E4 with a Butterfree that knows Harden is my own as well. Two great sets I made up all on my own, out of necessity; that's what Nuzlockes are all about. I have to admit, out of everyone, Skye is my favorite Poke on the team. Even though she didn't fight, she could have, it just would have been a risk. When you're a Butterfree later in the game than about Vermillion City, it's always a risk. But Skye had a plan and she used it with aplomb, all the way up to sweeping the last gym leader. I'll be bringing her with me to my favorite games, but also, I'll be re-imagining this set in her children, who may have access to new and improved moves with the advent of new Generations...

And McDonagh, also named for a Ranger, but fighting for something else... It's over, man. You filled in the gaps to do what she was unable to finish. You helped make this team a Champion. No more blood. No more death. Just peace. Rest easy now, friend.

Fin.

--

The destructor has gone

March 9, 2013 at 2:45 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

180 views - 0 comments
175 views - 1 comment
237 views - 4 comments
200 views - 0 comments