Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Xelakian's W (Weird) Nuzlocke Run

Xelakian

In a few weeks, I will begin posting regularly again. This means that I'll be posting more updates to >Be the other guy as well, as beginning a new project.

When I first got here, I bought White Version. I've played all of eight hours of it in the year that I've been here. I intend to at least try to remedy that. Starting May 28, I will be attempting a mostly blind Nuzlocke Run of White Version. I leave the decision of name, starter and rules in your hands dear Randomnites.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

May 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

So, yeah.

where doing it man

where MAKING THIS HAPEN

--

May 28, 2012 at 6:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

aw yiss, make it hapen bro! I've missed seeing an active Nuzlocke!

My personal vote is on a Tepig named Big Daddy. But I really like all the 5th gen starters, so I'm good with anything!

--

May 29, 2012 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Very well then. I tried Smugleaf in my previous game, so I suppose it's only fitting to try Tepig in this one.

...as much as I hate Nintendo for doing this.

--

May 30, 2012 at 11:03 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

RULES: Same as last time. Look them up on my previous run. Or not. If you don't know the rules for Nuzlocke by now then what are you doing here?

READY?

No. Shut up narrator voice guy. This is my life. I'm tired of you guys always telling the protagonist what to do. I won't have it in my adventure.

Are we understood? Good.

My name is Adam. I've lived in the small town of Nuvema my whole life. Basically, the majority of people who live in this town work with Professor Juniper. As a result, me and my friends recently signed on as interns. Intern, in this case, means we do the field work and she publishes the results.

It's at this point that you may be wondering "Adam, if you hate it so much, why'd you volunteer? Surely you knew that interning to a teratozoologist would mean you'd be doing field work whilst she took the credit." And you'd be right. I did. I did it to get out of this town and become the very best. I want to be like no one ever was. To catch them is my true test. To train them is my god dammit, I'm doing it again.

See, back when I was a kid, there was this show that was supposedly a very loose biography of the adventures of the Kanto Champion, Red. What fascinated me about it was the adventure itself, going on a quest to defeat gym leaders across the country and finally face off against the Elite Four, the most powerful trainers in the world.

Unlike most people though, I looked a bit deeper. I researched who this former champion was. His journey was nothing like what they showed on Saturday mornings. It was fraught with death and loss. Yet he persevered. Most people saw no harm in battles, but then again, most people didn't battle against serious trainers. I'd been studying the strategies. I'd been studying the theory. But study can only take you so far. I had to go out and prove to the world, prove to the League, that I was ready.

The reason I chose this job, as cliche as it may sound, was to become a Pokemon Master. And that's exactly what I'm going to do.

--

May 30, 2012 at 11:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 1.

The first day of work began with Cheren and Bianca barging into my room with a box from the Professor. It basically told us that we could use the Pokemon inside to assist in our field work. She had given us a Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott to work with. Knowing how rare and useful fire types usually were, I grabbed up the Tepig and let Bianca take the Snivy and Cheren take the Oshawott. They both challenged me to a battle. Bianca obviously had no idea what she was doing, and was quickly defeated. Not terribly surprising, as she was the only one of us to sign on because she wanted an actual lab job eventually. Cheren, on the other hand, had the same goal as me, to challenge the League. I could tell that he was trying strategically set it up so that he could take out my Tepig in one attack. However, he didn't take into account that while he was whittling my defenses down, he wasn't actually attacking, whereas I was.

After our sparring match, we headed back to the Professors Lab. She showed us how to catch Pokemon and told us to meet her back in Accumula Town. We agreed to split up and look for Pokemon of our own before getting to town. I decided to name my Tepig Big Daddy and proceeded to explore Route 1.

I had forgotten how short the walk was. Luckily, between the cherry blossoms and the Patrat I found and caught, named Bravo Zulu, it's actually a rather enjoyable trip. Apparently Bianca and Cheren had also each caught a new Pokemon. We headed into town, where the Prof showed us the Pokemon Center and then proceeded to leave us to go about our business.

New Arrivals:

Tepig (Big Daddy) - Male, Quirky, Mischievious

Patrat (Bravo Zulu) - Female, Bashful, Strong willed

Party:

Bravo Zulu, L3

Big Daddy, L7

--

June 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

So sorry to be jumping on this so late, but I hope you plan to continue it soon! I always love the unique angles you bring to Nuzlockes, particularly focusing on the added pressure The Rules bring. Also, yes to Big Daddy the Tepig.

--

The destructor has gone

June 28, 2012 at 6:16 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Man, same as he said, your perspective on Nuzlockes are always a joy to read! Hehe, and nice way to reference the show vs. how a Nuz works. Looking forward to this if it keeps going!

--

June 29, 2012 at 3:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Huzzah, PR returns! Yeah, I've kinda been putting off playing White until people started posting again. Expect an update probably tomorrow. I've also been working on a blind Nuzlocke run of Platinum, and I've gotten pretty fucking lucky so far (no deaths yet, and I caught an Abra).

--

July 1, 2012 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Awesome, any plans to do anything with the Platinum run as well? At the very least you could post a generic update thread about it, if you don't want to put the effort into two full narrations at once.

--

The destructor has gone

July 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Well, I'd like to eventually post a Nuzlocke run of it narrated, basically to wrap up Xerxes' story. First I'm gonna run through it and get an idea of what's going on in the story to better narrate, as it's going to probably resolve a bunch of things with his character and whatnot.

--

July 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 2.

After taking a break in Accumula Town I headed out to the next city, determined to take on the Gym in Striaton City. Unfortunately, there was a huge crowd just outside the Pokemon Center. Something about Pokemon rights and how catching them is akin to slavery. Fucking extremists. They obviously don't realize that the reason we catch and train Pokemon is to protect us from those found in the wild. Wild Pokemon can be quite savage. I remember reading that Red only narrowly survived an encounter with a Snorlax by throwing a Pokeball at it after it killed one of his own Pokemon and began aiming for him. Thankfully, I wasn't the only one there with some common sense. The extremist group, a Team Plasma (seriously, who the hell do they think they are, dressing like knights?), were booed out of town. Cheren started discussing it with me after they left, not entirely convinced of either side. Apparently though, some weird guy calling himself N heard us talking and started rambling about hearing my Pokemons' voice. He challenged me to a fight, a fight he lost, using the fact that he had to use Pokeballs as the reason he lost. Fucking hippies.

I continued North, to Route 2, where I caught a Lillipup I named Curie, and continued on to Striaton. I was quickly directed to the Trainers School, so that I could...learn what I already knew? Seriously, I've been researching this stuff since I was 6, give me some credit here. I know what the status conditions are, I know the type advantages, I don't need to go to elementary school again. Apparently Cheren did though, and he challenged me to a battle to prove that he knew more than me. Luckily though, Cheren didn't spend his younger years researching strategy, type advantage and status infliction like I did. His Purrloin and Oshawott were easy to deal with. After the headmaster deemed me worthy of leaving, I headed over to the gym. A waiter was standing outside. He asked what Pokemon I started my journey with. I told him Tepig. He suggested I head to the east, to the Dreamyard. I decided to do so, as an extra mon and training are always useful.

In the Dreamyard, I found a burned out, collapsing building and a few trainers. Eventually, some girl gave me a Pansage. A little confused, I take it and name it SeedNoEvil. After a bit of training I head back to the gym.

Inside, I find that the whole gym is a ruse to teach me about type advantage. Yes, I get it, Fire beats Grass beats Water beats Fire. It's pretty much the first thing ANYBODY learns about Pokemon. Whatever. I eventually get to the leader...s? There are three waiters, all of them claiming to be the gym leader. Apparently the one who has a type advantage against my starter is the one who gets to fight me. Oh, that's a dirty trick. Oh, but you also directed me to where someone would give me a monkey with a similar type advantage to yours, so I guess you're actually trying to make the league challenge easier then, huh? Seriously, what the fuck is this shit? Red never dealt with this sorta bullshit. He challenged Brock, the Rock-Solid Pokemon Trainer and his terrifying Onix. I get to challenge the Type-Advantage Triplets and their elemental monkeys of manipulation. Doesn't matter anyways, Cress, the water trainer, goes down easily. I'm awarded the Trio Badge and head out, disgusted. I hope the rest of the gyms aren't this annoying.

I'm stopped on my way out of the city by a scientist named Fennel. She tells me that she's a friend of Professor Juniper, and gives me Cut in exchange for getting some Dream Mist for her. I head out to the Dreamyard and find Bianca being harassed by a couple of thugs from Team Plasma. I deal with them and then...

...I don't remember much. I woke up later back in Fennel's lab. Apparently a Munna and Musharna released a bunch of Dream Mist. Fennel got what she needed though, and gave me a C-Gear in return. Whatever that is. I know one thing though. I'm leaving first thing tomorrow morning.

New Arrivals:

Curie (Lillipup) - Female, Calm, Capable of taking hits

SeedNoEvil (Pansage) - Male, Serious, Strong willed

Party:

Big Daddy, L11

SeedNoEvil, L11

Curie, L11

Bravo Zulu, L12

--

July 2, 2012 at 4:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Seriously though, what is the deal with the C-Gear? Also, fun fact of the day, for those of you who read Homestuck, a Curie is a unit of measure for the decaying of particles in an unstable isotope. One Curie is equal to 3.7x10^10 atoms decaying per second, also known as Becquerels. Why such a large number? Well, when Pierre Curie died, his wife, Marie Curie wanted everyone to know he had a large unit...

--

July 2, 2012 at 4:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Nice tidbit, always gotta love the Curies. And by the way, SeedNoEvil is objectively the best name for a Pansage.

The first gym there always did seem pretty weird to me. Well, nice job with it, at least!

--

July 2, 2012 at 4:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Sad update tomorrow. Trainer Card will be updated daily expressing what party composition will be, as well as some casual spoilers.

--

July 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 3.

I head out of Striaton City, to the west. I find a daycare filled with preschoolers whose parents thought it'd be cute to give them their old Pokemon. Luckily, they don't know how to properly battle, and so they're easily defeated. I continue on until I meet up with Cheren again. He challenges me once more, and fails to scratch my team. After his defeat, Bianca runs up to me with a kid in tow, saying that Team Plasma stole his Pokemon. Cheren heals his Purrloin and Oshawott and runs towards Wellspring Cave, where we're told they're hiding. I chase after him, finding and catching a Purrloin of my own that I name Jaspers. I head into the cave to see a pair of Plasma Grunts challenging Cheren. Knowing he wouldn't stand a chance against them alone, I step in to help him out. We both send out our starters. He uses Water Sport. Good job Cheren, cripple your teammate for no good reason. Seriously, why is everybody so dumb? Regardless, we defeat them easily. On the way out of the cave, I encounter a Woobat. I catch it, naming him Massacre, hopefully negating some of the stupidity of how it looks.

I meet back up with Cheren and Bianca, who give me a couple of Heal Balls and then head out. I continue South, training up my team as I go along. I encounter a couple of School Kids. One in particular sends out a Patrat against Jaspers. I have Jaspers hit it as best he can, only to realize too late that the Patrat started Biding. Knowing that my options were limited, I had Jaspers risk it, trying to kill it in one more shot before it could unleash its energy. It's not enough. The Patrat destroys Jaspers. Massacre lives up to his name and kills the rest of her Pokemon in revenge.

I eventually get to Nacrene City, inhabited by artists, apparently. Whatever. I decide to head West to train my party some more before challenging the Gym here. I find a Pidove that I name Shameimaru. I encounter another Preschooler, this one with a Roggenrola. With Big Daddy leading my team, I decide to try to test its Special Defense, hitting it with an Ember. It only takes out a third or so of its HP. It hits with a Headbutt, knocking Big Daddy to less than half. I decide to switch to SeedNoEvil, knowing that type advantage will win me this fight. It uses Rock Blast. It hits five times. SeedNoEvil dies as soon as it comes out of its Pokeball. Out of options, I decide to try Bravo Zulu. The Roggenrola Rock Blasts again, this time hitting three times. Bravo Zulu is at 1/3rd health. I consider my options. If I heal, and it gets another 5 hit Rock Blast off, I'm done for. If I switch, same if not worse. My best option is to hope he doesn't kill me this turn. Bravo Zulu uses Bite. Roggenrola uses Growl. Yes. Bite. Growl. One more Bite and victory is mine. After the fight, kid brags about how tough Roggenrola is. Shut up. He probably doesn't even know he killed my Pansage. I only hope he someday suffers the same loss that he caused me to suffer.

New Arrivals:

Purrloin (Jaspers) - Male, Impish, Often lost in thought

Woobat (Massacre) - Male, Hardy, Loves to eat

Pidove (Shameimaru) - Female, Naive, Quick tempered

Losses:

Jaspers to School Kid Gina's Patrat. Met at L9, died at L12.

SeedNoEvil to Preschooler Homer's Roggenrola. Met at L10, died at L14.

--

July 3, 2012 at 8:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

I really love this character. I really don't love that SeedNoEvil died. Switch-ins are the most dangerous things in a Nuzlocke, I swear...

--

The destructor has gone

July 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

GlowingGardevoir

If i'm planning on doing a Nuzlocke, would you mind if i do them like yours? XD? and can i get someone to answer some questions i have.

--

July 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian
Go ahead. I've done a handful of Nuzlockes, and so I've developed my own style, which everyone does eventually. Also, another thing you might see about doing is modifying the rules slightly. For instance, I don't run away from battles or use repels, which tends to lend itself to very dangerous grinding. However, Captain F. Magic allows a very limited use of revives in battle to make it a little more interesting strategically. And feel free to ask questions. We'll be happy to answer.
--

July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian
Day 4, Part 1. After a whole day of training and research, a number of things happen. Curie evolved into a Herdier, Big Daddy evolved into a Pignite, Bravo Zulu evolved into a Watchog and Shameimaru evolved into a Tranquill. I also learned about the Nacrene Gym Leader, Lenora, a Normal-Type trainer. Apparently though, as easy as that sounds, she's rather difficult. I managed to find out her signature move, Retaliate, could pretty much destroy any Pokemon after one of hers falls in battle. I had to develop a strategy. I headed into the gym, prepared to test my mettle against the gym. N was waiting there, spouting inanities about freeing Pokemon and creating "perfect beings". After I destroyed his team once more he ran off, muttering something about Reshiram, whatever that is. Undeterred, I headed inside to find a museum. Weird. I was lead into the back room, which appeared to be some sorta library. After a wild note chase and a few random trainers, I found the secret entrance to Lenora's private study. It was time to set my plan into motion. Round One consisted of Big Daddy Arm Thrusting Lenora's Herdier until it stopped fighting back. Prepared for her Watchog's Retaliation, I switched to Bravo Zulu, Detecting the attack. Sadly, she used Leer instead, disappointing me. I finished her off with Bravo Zulu and Big Daddy, earning the Basic Badge. It was then that we got the news. Team Plasma had apparently broken into the museum and stolen a Dragonite skull. We rushed out to find Burgh, the Gym Leader for the next town outside. He lead me to the inner part of Pinwheel Forest, the most likely place to find them. Inside, sure enough, there they were. I fought one and could see others running off. Before I could catch up to them, however, I ran into a Venipede. Catching and naming it Ohmu, I continued, deeper into the forest... New Arrivals: Venipede (Ohmu) - Female, Brave, Loves to eat
--

July 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

186 views - 0 comments
184 views - 1 comment
244 views - 4 comments
207 views - 0 comments