Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > The Good Captain's Terribad Nuzlocke Run (FR)

Captain F. Magic

I figured it was about time I posted my own nuzlocke run here, so here we go.

Rules:

Items, Healing, Death, and Resurrection

Outside of battle the only form of healing I will have access to are Pokemon Centers and "rest stops" such as my house. In battle I will be able to use healing items I've gathered in my adventures. None will be purchased. Only what I can find buried in the sand and hidden in the grass will be of any use. This does include Revives. Some may feel that this goes against the whole point of a Nuzlocke. Personally I think this adds another challenge. Do I risk losing one friend to save another, or do I press harder to avenge them? If a pokemon is still ko'd by the end of battle they are DEAD and will be permanentely boxed. Pokeballs are purchasable from Pokemarts and I will buying copious amounts of them. TMs can come too.

Catching, Buying, Gifting, and Trading Pokemon

An adjustment on the classic "one per area" rule, I will catch the first pokemon I encounter in any given area that I do not already own. If my first encounter on Route 1 is a Pidgy I will catch it. If my first encounter on Route 2 is a Pidgy I will disreagard it and will instead catch the second thing I encounter. If that is a Pidgy then I will move on to the third encounter. If it is STILL a Pidgy then I will just quit. Because what the fuck, Pidgy. No one likes you. You smell and you probably have mites so just go away. Sheesh. In game trading is legit and doesn't count towards the amount obtainable in any given area. I can receive one non-caught pokemon per area. No farming the game corner.

Nicknames for erahbody

Nothing with any actually mechanical change. I just enjoy naming my pokemon various, silly names.

Now that we're past my wimpy rules we can get dis shit started. I SHOULD have an update up by tonight, hopefully earlier. We'll see!

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

March 24, 2012 at 6:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

ProfessorAbigail Sequoia’s Research Log

23 March2012
Friday
2:38 pm

Entry One: I Hate Journals

One of the lab aides, Charles I think, said that I should get used to documenting all of my activities in journals if I wanted to pursue a carrier in Pokemon research. “There is so much information out there and so much left to discover,” he told me.  “If you don’t write everything down you won’t be able to keep track of it all!” He’s been at this a lot longer than I have, so I’ll take his word for it.

Today I finally got to find out how much I hate airports, planes, and flying in general. Like seriously, what IS the deal with airline food? I hear comedians make that remark all the time, but no joke that stuff is bad. Terrible. Terribad even. What’s worse is that I met the biggest asshole I’ve had the joy of knowing in my entire life. I even had the pleasure of sitting next to him for the entire TWELVE HOUR FLIGHT to Kanto. My only relief was that he shared my disdain for the food. I mean seriously, cashews? Who eats cashews for twelve hours? Why can’t I have a nice salad? Anywho. I finally arrived in Kanto at about 7:30am and promptly hopped on a bus to Pallet town to meet the world renowned Professor Oak! What a disappointment that turned out to be. I’ve been here for five hours and have yet to see him. I come here after being offered an opportunity to study Pokemon abroad and learn from one of the greatest researchers of the time and he doesn’t even bother showing up to at least say hello? Ridiculous. At least his aids are nice enough. Charles has been especially helpful in getting me set up in the lab and showing me around. Maybe a bit too eager to help? Does he have a crush on me or something? Arceus I hope not. That would be awkward.

I’ll be staying with Aunt Wendy for the duration of my studies. I had no idea I had an Aunt Wendy, or that she lived next door Professor MF Oak. Why did my mothernever tell me this? When I questioned her she just laughed me off saying that she “forgot.” How does that work? Word is that there’s also some celebrity Trainer living in town as well. Became Champion of the region and all that jazz. Haven’t seen him either. I’m not sure what the big deal about Training is anyway. Seems to me like a surefire way to get you and your Pokemon killed out in the wilderness. It’s much safer in a lab.

Since there isn’t much else to do I suppose I’ll spend the rest of the day getting set up at home. Maybe I’ll go for a walk later? Get some fresh air. Anything is better than breathing the ashy winds that blow down into Feldspar City.

--

March 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

YES. Eagerly awaiting the update!

I like the Revives rule, too, especially since you can only use them in the battle in which they die (if I read that correctly).

Also, not counting already-captured Pokemon is the only way you can legitimately reach the Sevii Islands in a FR/LG Nuzlocke. I exhausted all my areas and I was a good ~25 short.

Overall, I like these rules; different enough to be interesting, but I don't think you're departing from the spirit of Nuzlocke at all. Looks good, can't wait!

Also, by the way, the B/W battle is re-uploaded and working now!

--

The destructor has gone

March 24, 2012 at 8:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

That is correct. I'm using it as a sort of "first-aid" kinda thing. At the risk of doing more harm than good.
I'll be sad if I can't get to the Sevii Islands. Hopefully that won't be the case.
Also and actual game update later. So yay!

Hooray for working videos!

--

March 24, 2012 at 8:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Oh, hello, you posted the first update seconds before I made my post. Just now saw that, sorry.

I really like the looks of this so far, great intro. Really, really nice to have an active run on the site again, too, especially one with as much personality as this one looks like it's going to have.

--

The destructor has gone

March 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Ooh, I like the style this is written in! And I really like that custom rule with the revives, as well. I'll definitely be tuning in, I'm excited to be reading a run again!

Yeah, and good luck with the Sevii Islands! Though it's not too out of the rules to catch things just for the sake of getting access as long as you don't use them, right?

--

March 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Are those references to the rom we were working on way back when? I thoroughly approve. Also, see previous statements of mass approval.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

March 25, 2012 at 12:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Yes. Dem be references. Also hooray for people enjoying it so far.
More coming momentarily.

Fjdksla Spoiler:
Fucking Rattata

--

March 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Professor Abigail Sequoia's Research Log

24 March 2012
Saturday
11:29pm

Entry Two: Better Than Airline Food

Being soggy is awful. Being soggy in a forest full of creepy bugs and creepier little kids trying to catch said bugs is worse. More on that later.

It turns out that getting some "fresh air" can be bad for you. I suppose it's from the sudden climate shift but I woke up this morning with the WORST headache I have ever had. And I've had some pretty terrible ones. Like sinuses full of ash bad. Okay maybe not THAT bad. I'm getting off topic. Point is that this morning and, well, most of today was bad. It started off fairly well, even with the brain pain. First of all I finally had a chance to meet the esteemed Professor Oak. He seemed nice enough, maybe a bit off. I told him I was looking forward to studying in Kanto and learning all I could from him about the Pokemon world. He told me I seemed a promising student, and that I should get started by taking the Pokemon League Challenge.

What?

"Are...are you sure that's the best course of action," I asked him. "Training? I'm not sure I'm cut out for that."

"Nonsense! You should have started your journey years ago! In fact that's how I got my start. You'll do fine!"

But wait, there's more! At this time I was reacquainted with an old friend from the flight over. He introduced himself simply as Karrde and greeted me with a line about airline food. It took all my will not to crack a smile. There was no way I was going to let this guy think he could affect me in the least. I harrumphed my way out the awkward situation and thankfully the professor piped up before things could get worse. He told us that we'd each be taking one of three Pokemon local to the area to get started. Curious, I asked Karrde why he was taking the Challenge. He looked about the same age as me and I didn't know why he had waited this long to get started. Turns out this isn't his first time going against the League. He said he was trying to get his Gym Leader's License and this was one of the fastest ways to get it. I have to say, I'm a bit impressed; not that I'd tell him that. I've heard Gym Leadership is an unforgiving profession; challengers coming in all hours of the day, every day of the week.

Moving on. Karrde went all gentleman on me and said I could pick first. Not really knowing what I was getting into I picked the cute little turtle Pokemon, Squirtle. The good professor told me that the best way to foster friendship and loyalty between a Trainer and their Pokemon was to nickname them. On a whim I christened my new friend "Fish." He didn't seem too pleased. Karrde picked up the Bulbasaur and I came to the conclusion that he was the furthest thing from a gentleman. And then he challenged me to a battle right there in the lab. Boy was that crazy.

I won. Hooray. Barely, though. Oak told me I showed a lot of promise as a Trainer. We'll see. Before we left he handed us both a Pokedex. Whoop whoop! I've always wanted one of my own, but they're only ever handed out to Trainers. Sure the scientists have access to all of the data, but it's not the same thing. He also gave us each a handful of Pokeballs. Handy for trainers and researchers alike.

Adventuring isn't all it's cracked up to be. I can tell you that right now. Worst part is the weather. No one wants stand under a rain cloud that is about to burst all day. On the other hand, seeing all of the Pokemon in their natural habitats is breathtaking. I find the symbiosis between Pokemon and the environments they live in fascinating. In fact that's what I intend to specialize in once I complete my studies. Enough about that, though. On to the here and now.

I managed to catch a few new allies on the way to the Pewter City gym, though not all made it. This wasn't something I was prepared for.

My first catch was fidgety little Rattata. I dubbed him Archibald and went on my merry way to my first stop, Viridian City. There I met a nice old man who was kind enough to explain the finer points of catching Pokemon to me. He told me that a good place to practice was just to the west on the way to Indigo Plateau. I wouldn't be able to pass the gate of course, but the area out front was rife with young Pokemon. I thanked him and headed in that direction. I caught a Spearow almost immediately. Named this one Mahrie. Things were looking up. Maybe I COULD do this whole trainer thing.

And then things went south.

Maybe it wasoverconfidence, or just bad luck. I've been over it in my head so many times I'm not even sure what exactly happened anymore. The only thing I know is that one second Archibald was standing his ground against another Rattata, and the next he was on the ground bleeding. Not breathing. Not knowing what to do I threw out Mahrie and she finished the other Rattata off without me having to give an order. Not stopping to return her to her ball, I scooped up my fallen friend and ran as fast as I could to the Pokemon Center. There was nothing that could be done.

I couldn't stop then. There would be no point.

It had started to rain but I hadn't even registered it. I was in the southernmost part of Viridian Forest and I had caught two more Pokemon. A Pidgy named Harriet and a Caterpie named Ellen. Ellen, it turns out, is a fast learner. Also she didn't stay a Caterpie for long at all. Before I was even out of the forest she had gone from larva, to pupa, to a beautiful and powerful Butterfree. Along with Harriet and Mahrie, she tore through the resident forest Pokemon and the few Trainers that were there. Bug catchers are weird by the way. I'm not saying Bug Pokemon are bad, but why would you want to use only one type? Maybe it makes more sense to a seasoned Trainer. I dunno.

Also I learned that Gyms aren't open after 9:00pm. Now I'm staying in one of thePewter City Pokemon Center's bunk rooms until the Gym opens tomorrow morning. Maybe I'll get up early and train a bit more before going against my first Gym Leader. That would probably be the best course of action.

Notes:

Berries are wonderful. Like holy shit they're good. Remember to bring some back to Aunt Wendy and see if she can cook them into something amazing.

PARTY

Fish -Squirtle lvl 10
Harriet -Pidgy lvl 11
Ellen -Butterfree lvl 11
Mahrie -Spearow lvl 11

R.I.P.

Archibald -Rattata lvl 3

--

March 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I might just be biased from wanting to be a biology researcher, but I really really love this perspective.

And tough luck with Archibald, I swear those wild Rattata always want first blood. Looking forward to the Gym!

--

March 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

You must've ran into that little son of a bitch Rattata that killed my first two captures in my LeafGreen. MouseHouse and War Eagle, still remember them...

Anyway, I agree with Tam about the perspective. Not only is it unique, but you're pulling it off with aplomb. If that's the correct way to use that word, I'm... not sure I have ever used that word before.

--

The destructor has gone

March 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

25 March 2012
Sunday
3:16pm

Pewter City Pokemon Center

Entry Three: Abigail and the Masters of the Universe

It seems that I'm already becoming accustomed to the air here in Kanto. My headache wasn't NEAR as bad when I woke up. The sneezing and sniffling is another story, though. I must have caught a cold out in the rain yesterday. So that's nice.

Training this morning went off without a hitch. There is a field just south of town that I passed on my in yesterday and it is just brimming with Pokemon to practice with. Harriet and Mahrie did fine swooping about picking their targets off left and right. I also noticed that Ellen has some psychic ability on top of her already impressive array of mind-affecting and poisonous spore attacks. Why would a Pokemon need to develop psychic defenses if they already have similar ones that actually coincide with their typing? Maybe Professor Oak can provide some insight on this. I need to phone him soon anyway. Come to think of it, I haven't spoken with anyone from home since I left. I'll have to make some calls tonight.

Oh I almost forgot the best part! Little Fish evolved! Right in the middle of a battle, too. Scared that Weedle right off. Come to think of it I haven't actually seen one since. Strange.

Before going to the Gym I decided to take a break at the local Museum. It's on the smaller side, but they had several interesting exhibits. Of them I found the fossils to be the most impressive. Aerodactyl were fearsome! I'm kind of glad they're extinct. There'd be no way I'd even rick taking one on in a fair fight, or even an unfair one! There was also a space exhibit upstairs. I wasn't super interested in that. Though I did learn that a meteor struck near Mt. Moon some time ago. Is that really where Moonstones come from? Maybe I'll get to find out. Mt. Moon is on the way to my next stop, Cerulean City! But I'll have to beat the Gym here, first. Speaking of which...

I am sorely unimpressed with the state of the Pewter City Gym. I understand that it is the first Gym many Trainers stop at on their journeys, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't at least present a challenge! Fish was the only one of my team I had to use. Yes, it is a Rock-themed Gym. And yes, I had the type advantage. All I'm saying is that a mediocre trainer like me shouldn't have been able to dispatch her first Gym Leader in two turns. Sheesh. But hey, I recieved my first Badge! I should be happy, right? And I am. I'm happy I made it this far. Even if I did have a lot of help. Even if some of that help came at a cost. Now I'm making myself depressed. Can't get distracted now! On to Cerulean City!

Notes:

Call mom.

PARTY

Fish - Wartortle lvl 17
Harriet - Pidgey lvl 16
Ellen - Butterfree lvl 16
Mahrie - Spearow lvl 16

R.I.P.

Archibald - Rattata lvl 3

--

March 25, 2012 at 6:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I think I've seen the word aplomb used all of twice in my life. I have no idea if that's correct, but it sounds fine to me. Regardless, thank you. Both of you. I'm quite a lot of fun doing this. More than I though I would, actually. Writing is usually so tedious for me, but with this things are just rolling off my...fingertips? I blame years of think-in-the-box prompt writing.

Hopefully I'll get through Mt. Moon tonight. Preferably with all of my friends and maybe even some new ones!

--

March 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Yep, sounds like you're on a hot streak. Ride the wave, man. Write as much as you can before it cools off. I'm still in recovery from losing my last one.

You know, you're coming up with some really thought-provoking biological analysis of these Mons, particularly with that Butterfree segment there. This is gold. And it's got me really itching to do another Nuz.

I'll wait 'til you're done, of course.

--

The destructor has gone

March 25, 2012 at 6:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

There are just so many things like that in the Pokemon world that raise questions in my mind.
I'm sure you could argue that the Confusion attack that Butterfree uses isn't actually a psychic effect, but another manifestation of their spore abilities and it was much easier for the programers to just give them Confusion instead of an entirely new move.
But that's just no fun.

--

March 25, 2012 at 7:29 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

25 March 2012
Sunday
1:34am

Cerulean City Pokemon Center

Entry Four: Team Rocket's Rockin'

I lost another friend on the road today. My fault this time. I underestimated my opponent's strength and B. White paid the price for my error. Is the journey like this for everyone, or is it just me? Maybe the professor was wrong. Maybe Training isn't for me. Maybe everything up to this point has just been a fluke.

Maybe I should stop throwing a pity party. I doubt B. White and Archibald would want their sacrifices to be meaningless. And if I gave up now it would dishonor their memory.

Also in a bit of grim humor I realized that B. White, a Mankey, fell to another of her kind just as Archibald did. Interesting circumstances. Needless to say the owner of the opposing Mankey went home missing a friend as well. Ellen saw to that.

Beyond my loss, I believe I can sum up today in two words:

Team Rocket

Because I didn't get enough of them back home, it seems that they have followed me to Kanto in order to continue torturing me. I suppose that's unfair to Team Rocket. Kanto IS their base of operations. I had thought they had been wiped out sometime ago, but it seems they're as active as ever. In everybody's business. Though I'm not exactly sure why they were at Mt. Moon. Nothing to steal there except rocks. Maybe they're after Moonstones? I know I found one myself, but I can't see what use they would be to organization like Team Rocket. It COULD be fossils. Again I'm not sure what they could want them for. Money I suppose. Some people will pay frankly ridiculous amounts of money for a pretty rock. I shouldn't say that. Fossils are important keys to Pokemon research. Long story short I gave them a wide berth through the tunnels. No need to make an enemy out of them here.

I mentioned B. White, but she wasn't the only ally I made on my way to Cerulean City today. There was also Florence the Jigglypuff. I met her right outside of Pewter. I came across Kevin, a Paras in one of the deeper parts of Mt. Moon. And there was Oswald, a mischievous little Oddish. I can already tell he'll be a handful.

Karrde made an appearance too. Though at the worst possible time. He said he was going to challenge me to a battle, but after hearing about what happened with B. White he decided not to. In a way I was relieved. In a way I wish he HAD challenged me. That way I could have just taken my anger out on someone. However unhealthy that would have been.

It's late now, so it looks like I'll have another early morning of training tomorrow. Maybe I'll shoot for my next badge, too. Maybe I won't. It might be better to slow down. I don't want to lose someone else to folly.

Notes:

Take Karrde up on his challenge next time I see him. No matter what!

PARTY

Kevin - Paras lvl 14
Mahrie - Fearow lvl 20
Harriet - Pidgeotto lvl 20
Fish - Wartortle lvl 20
Ellen - Butterfree lvl 20
Oswald - Oddish lvl 12

R.I.P

Archibald - Rattata lvl 3
B. White - Mankey lvl 15

--

March 26, 2012 at 2:17 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Forgive me if again I'm going too deeply into this, but I am in my last month as an English major and my education is affecting what I see.

There's lots of contradiction in Abigail's character in this one. In fact, she rebuts almost every point she brings up with a polarly opposite viewpoint. Which is telling me the journey, and, in particular, the losses are starting to change who she is. It also hints to a bit of loneliness in her willingness to have debates with herself in these journals.

Again, I have no idea if these elements are intentional on your part, but whether you realize it or not, this is very solid from a literary standpoint.

As far as the game goes, Oswald will be your best bro for Misty. Do not underestimate dat Starmie. Watch Karrde's Pidgeotto, too.

--

The destructor has gone

March 26, 2012 at 12:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Yus. That was what I was shooting for.
Until this journey Abigail has never really had any challenge in her life. She had always stuck with what she was good at and what she thought was safer. Now I'm not trying to belittle the sciences or anything. Science is great. My favorite subject, in fact. But there are things you just can't learn being in a lab all day and Abigail is now having to face that. And she's changing. How will she turn out in the end? I have no idea. Her evolution is as much of a mystery to me as it is to anyone else at this point. Hopefully she'll come out stronger.

Also yes, Oswald will be beast. Last time I ran through FR I had an Oddish with me. Misty didn't stand a chance. I have a plan for Starmie and I should be able to counter anything Karrde throws at me at this point. Assuming I stay one step ahead.

--

March 26, 2012 at 1:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Opinion Poll:

For the purpose of the "Catching, Buying, Gifting, and Trading" rule, would fossil Pokemon count as being received while they are still key items, or when the are resurrected?

--

March 26, 2012 at 9:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Personally, I'd say that you get them as your one in Cinnabar proper. The Burned Mansion's a seperate zone, so there's no reason not to get it unless you can somehow manage a Missingno...

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

March 26, 2012 at 10:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

222 views - 0 comments
216 views - 1 comment
280 views - 4 comments
242 views - 0 comments