Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Xelakian's SS (Spiritual Superconductor) Nuzlocke Run

Xelakian

Good Morning Johto Region! For those of you who know me, I have returned from the terrible wastes of Great Lakes and the insufferable heat of Charleston (technically still in the latter, but not so insufferable now) to return to a place both old and familiar while simultaneously ever-changing and unexpected. A place predictably random. For those of you not familiar, I am Xelakian, a member who last posted significantly in February of 2011. I have had a previous (and now, unfortunately, abandoned) Nuzlocke Run here. So, now that I have more time and a new copy of Pokemon (I experimented a little with White Version, quickly realizing I prefered HG/SS) I decided it was high time to start a new Nuzlocke.

So, time for rules...

• Fainting causes death. This is the base rule for any Nuzlocke. It could hardly be called a Nuzlocke without it.
  • Pokemon Centers are the only source of healing out of battles. This served me well last run, and I think I shall continue it.
  • In battle I can use any item I find, save for revives. I can only purchase Pokeballs from Pokemarts. Simple, efficient, difficult.
  • One Pokemon per area. It has to be a mon I do not have. If the first Poke I meet is the same as one I have, I don't have to catch it, I can catch the next one. Regardless, first noncaught Pokemon I encounter has to be the one I get (nothing is more frustrating than having to pass up a decent pokemon in an area because you encounter nothing but Pidgeys). The one exception to this is with places like the Safari Zone and Bug-Catching contests. The former is the first one I successfully catch in each region, the latter is the first one I encounter during the contest AND the first one I find during regular travel.
  • No running. I've been in the Navy for almost six months now. One of the things they beat into us here in A-School is no running in uniform. As such, the only way out of a battle is through the opponent.
  • Nicknames. For this run, I'm thinking of going with Homestuck and Anime. Why? Because that's what I've been distracted by most as of late.

I have yet to decide on a starter. My last run was with a Totodile, and quite successful, but I feel like doing something different. I'm currently leaning towards Chikorita as an interesting change of pace.

--

Friend Code: 1006-1639-8826

August 14, 2011 at 1:28 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

much respect if you succeed with Chikorita. that's basically a deathwish. stoked to see the start of this! i loved how you narrated LG, although on that note, i'm sad to see it go =/

--

The destructor has gone

August 14, 2011 at 3:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Awesome, nice to meetcha! A little warning, I might fangasm over the Homestuck names.

I would love to see this done with a Chikorita.

--

August 14, 2011 at 3:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Haha!  I'll have to keep peeking at this just to see the names...though, am I the only one who has completely lost interest in Homestuck lately?

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

August 14, 2011 at 8:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I'm looking forward to this just by virtue of the name.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

August 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 14 Dawn of a New Day

The flow of time never slows, never stops. It cannot be resisted. The flow of time is without opposition.

This does not mean it only flows one direction.

It was six years ago that I first set out on my journey to become a Pokemon Master. I succeeded in this task, defeating the Elite Four and their Champion, Lance. My next goal was to prove my worth against the former Champion, a man known only in legend as RED.

It was five years ago that I woke up to find myself in an unfamiliar room. My attire had changed. The time had changed. I had changed. I began on another journey to become the Champion. I fought valiantly against all the Kanto region could throw at me, until finally I had reached Indigo Plateau. With victory in sight, my rival, Gary Motherfucking Oak, stood as my final test. My friends, old and new, fought and defeated the professors grandson, but at the cost of their lives. I had become the Champion, but my hands were permanently stained RED.

It was four years ago that I left Kanto, seeking solitude in the Silver Mountains.

...four years by this calender.

I woke up this morning to an alarm clock I remember purchasing years ago. My room, one I had not seen since before my journey. My clothes, what I left home with six two years ago when I was young and naive. Yesterday I had fallen asleep in a cave full of dangerous monsters. It was happening again.

It's time to stop this. I change into different clothes. A black and green jacket, a white baseball cap. I am not the child who so long ago picked Totodile as his companion. I am Xerxes, the Trainer Who Struggled Against Time.

--

August 15, 2011 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 1: The Beginning

I remember this day. I head out of the house, bump into Lyra, an old friend (how childish she seems now) and continue on to Professor Elm's laboratory. He informs me of Mr. Pokemon's discovery (an egg, I remember). He gives me a choice of Pokemon, Totodile, Cyndaquil or Chikorita. Last time I had picked Totodile, the ever-hungry Nak. I don't want a repeat of my previous life. I choose Chikorita, naming him DocScratch.

Mr. Pokemon's house is on the other side of Cherrygrove. I rush over there and meet Professor Oak once more. He doesn't recognize me. He says that he's sure I'll take great care of DocScratch. His words are like daggers. He said the same thing about Yellowmusk. Could he really know who I am, his words laced with poison, or are they just hollow, meaningless things he says to all aspiring young trainers?

I leave only to be called up by Elm. His Cyndaquil had been stolen. I had completely forgotten about him. I run back, only to find the insufferable prick running into Cherrygrove. I decimate his stolen Pokemon, only for him to keep running before I can stop him. I remember you clearly, Alex. I return to New Bark Town, report him to the police (not that they ever did anything about him) and leave on my journey.

That night, as I'm leaving home once more, I encounter a Hoothoot. Armed now with Pokeballs, I catch it, naming her Sn0wman. Already, it's beginning to look like this might turn out better than expected.

NEW

DocScratch (Chikorita M)

-Relaxed Nature

-Mischievous

Sn0wman (Hoothoot F)

-Adamant Nature

-Highly curious

--

August 15, 2011 at 5:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Ah. Weird Time Shit. Fun stuff.

--

August 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Indeed. And it's technically all there in the manual. And by that I mean my previous Nuzlocke.

--

August 15, 2011 at 6:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

This is comfortingly reminscent of your past Nuzlockes as well as Majora's Mask. I like it. I like it alot. 

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

August 15, 2011 at 7:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

dude, this looks really good so far. i need moar.

oh, and, cool picture, bro.

--

The destructor has gone

August 15, 2011 at 7:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Also this has inspired me to get back to work on that ROM hack we were working on.

So I'm going to go play with that for a couple of hours before getting bored again.

--

August 15, 2011 at 8:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Heheh. Just like old times. Also, on the subject of Homestuck, it does seem very different as of late. The Dream Bubbles kinda messed with the pacing. And the Scratch isn't helping...

--

August 15, 2011 at 9:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I'm beginning to wonder if AH is scrounging for ideas, or if he has a big plan that has yet to come together.

The Troll Ancestor business is nice though, and it's lead to a lot of speculation about the Kid's session.

--

August 15, 2011 at 9:19 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Very interesting swo far... I'm probably going to have to read your other Nuzlocke too to fully get this. And I'm looking forward to seeing how a Chikorita fares. Good luck, little Doc Scratch.

On the topic of Homestuck, I myself am not losing interest, but it does seem to be getting a bit convoluted and confusing of late. I'm pretty sure there's some big plan behind everything going on.

--

August 16, 2011 at 3:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Xelakian

Day 2: First Blood

I wake up in the Pokemon Center in Cherrygrove. I had stayed up well past midnight training Sn0wman, and the midmorning light woke me up far too early. Regardless, I grab some food and continue out, heading towards Violet City. I'm immediately swarmed by Pidgeys. Fine. If I'm going to face Falkner, I might as well beat him at his own game. I send out both my Pokemon, having Sn0wman put one into a deep sleep while Doc poisons and eviscerates the rest. I only need to keep one. I approach the sleeping one, nudge it a few times with my foot and drop a Pokeball on it. I name her Seppucrow.

I meet an old annoyance, Joey. One of the first trainers I ever encountered, and one who constantly bugged me about his beloved Rattata, whom he believed was in the "top percentage". Your Rattata wasn't worth shit, Joey. I prove it once again. I decide to backtrack a little to do some training.

That night, I headed to the base of Blackthorn Mountain, as we used to call it back in New Bark. In reality, Blackthorn City was on a plateau, its base being the near the lowest elevation in Johto. Still, there was no way to get back up from this side. It wasn't long before I encountered a Rattata. I catch her, christening her NePreyta. I decide to do some more late night training before heading to bed. NeP doesn't disappoint, handily outmaneuvering any other Pokemon. A Hoothoot decides to test its mettle against us. NeP is somewhat tired from her previous encounters, but more than powerful enough to take on such an opponent.

I command NeP to perform a preemptive strike, as always. It's what she does best, and it's what works. The Hoothoot steadily tackles the Prey. One hit is all it would take to decimate either one. Luckily, speed is our strength. NePreyta performs a Quick Attack, surely more than enough to win. Or so I thought. The owl still stands, perched on both legs now for support. It dives headlong into NePreyta, knocking them both unconscious. I rush over to NeP, hoping to prevent the same tragedy that befell Nazrin, only to realize it's already too late. I once believed that Hoothoots had eyebrows. Upon catching Sn0wman, I learned that they were actually flexible, chitinous horns. If I had had any doubt in my mind as to their use, it was now dispelled, as I saw NePreyta lying impaled upon one.

The trek back to Cherrygrove's Pokemon Center was a long, painful one. I placed NeP's ball into storage, sober in the knowledge that she was not the first, nor would she be the last.

I sleep outside tonight. I wake up around one to a phone call from Joey. He had found my number, somehow, and just wanted to let me know how awesome his Rattata was. I broke my Pokegear that night. The next morning, we had a recreation of NeP's final battle, only in reverse.

NEW

Seppucrow (Pidgey F)

-Careful Nature

-Capable of taking hits

NePreyta (Rattata F)

-Jolly Nature

-Capable of taking hits

Losses

NePreyta: Lvl 4 to a Hoothoot on Route 30

--

August 17, 2011 at 10:52 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

fun fact: hacks of the games reveal Joey's Rattata actually has straight 31 IVs across the board. he still doesn't have to be such a dick about it though.

on a more relevant note, looking really good. i absolutely love this style.

RIP NeP

--

The destructor has gone

August 17, 2011 at 11:14 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I'm pretty sure that Rattatas aren't allowed in Nuzlocks.
Anytime I've caught one it's died five minutes later.

Regardless, I'm sorry for your loss.

--

August 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Captain F. Magic at August 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I'm pretty sure that Rattatas aren't allowed in Nuzlocks.
Anytime I've caught one it's died five minutes later.

Regardless, I'm sorry for your loss.

happened to me in LeafGreen, too.

--

The destructor has gone

August 17, 2011 at 11:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Most of my deaths come from me being too stubborn to run from a fight.
And then I get mad and trash everything.

--

August 17, 2011 at 11:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

222 views - 0 comments
216 views - 1 comment
280 views - 4 comments
242 views - 0 comments