Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Gale Of Nuzlocke: XD Retry

Tamoria

Bad title, I know. Hopefully this won't end of being Fail Of Nuzlocke again. Anywaaaay...

Good news, everyone!

I’m attempting the Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness Nuzlocke one more time, and it’s already going loads better. The rules have been changed a bit, so here’s the new list of rules:

1. If it faints, it’s dead. However, revives can be used IF THEY ARE FOUND. No buying revives, and no using healing centers to revive Pokémon.

2. Only one Pokémon per area, and which Pokémon that is will be decided by a Random Number Generator BEFORE going to that area. In other words, look at a walkthrough, see what Shadow Pokémon can be found there, and then use the RNG to decide which of these can be caught. All other Shadow Pokémon must be beaten, and if I fail to catch the one the RNG picked, too bad, no Pokémon from that area. Areas are still defined as outside and different buildings in a location.

3. Bosses are still an exception to the second rule. Also, can pick which Shadow Pokémon is caught from a boss.

I think I mentioned in my last post that I wasn’t going to catch some of the Pokémon that died in the last run, but I figured that wasn’t a good idea and went ahead and caught everything I could. Just in case you were wondering about that.

Alright, so here goes nothing!

--

July 17, 2011 at 11:55 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I like the Title actually. Best of Luck to you!

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

July 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Two weeks had passed, but it seemed like little had changed when I entered the Cipher base for one more try to save the Professor and get some fulfilling revenge on Lovrina. There were still the exact same Cipher Peons that showed up in exactly the same places as before, and with exactly the same Pokémon. This time I knew what to expect, and I plowed through the base with no incident. I came in with five Pokémon, and by the time I reached the room where they were keeping Professor Krane, I still had all five. And so I opened the same door (still unlocked), faced off against the same Peon on guard duty (still a wimp), and grabbed the same Professor (still as annoying as ever) to drag his sorry kidnapped ass out of there.

Once again, the exit was right in sight when Lovrina showed up. She laughed when she recognized me, but her giggles stopped when she looked at my belt and counted five pokéballs. I was nowhere near as unprepared as last time, and she knew it at a glance. I smirked at her just to see if I could get her any more unnerved. “You know,” I said, pulling two balls off my belt. “My dad didn’t just give me an Eevee. He gave one to my little sister, too. And it so happens she really wanted me to get the Professor back. Maybe Jovi’s not as useless as I always thought.” I tossed out the two pokéballs, and one released my Teddiursa, Senri. The other, which was still covered in cutesy heart-shaped stickers that for the life of me I could not figure out how to peel off, released the Pokémon that had once been my sister’s. “Meet Princess, the Vaporeon. Her likes include swimming, long walks on the beach, and fucking shit up.” Sure, she wasn’t King, but I had quickly realized I had been lucky to end up with the Water Stone that evolved her. Princess could take a ton of hits and give back way more damage than she got. Lovrina said nothing as she sent out her own Pokémon, a Luvdisc and a Beautifly again. Princess and Senri teamed up to take out the Beautifly in one turn, and when Lovrina sent out her Roselia, I switched Princess with Vriska the Spinarak in time for the bug Pokemon to take a not very effective Mega Drain. Again, my Pokémon both focused on taking out one Pokémon together, this time the Roselia. Lovrina sent out her Shadow Delcatty, frowning as she realized she was down to two Pokémon and hadn’t even made a dent in my forces. The Delcatty went for a Shadow Rush at Senri while the Luvdisc aimed a Water Gun at Vriska, but both moves were pointless when I switched out Princess again to take the Water Gun, and my secret weapon to take the Shadow Rush.

“Hey, that’s so totally not fair!” Lovrina complained as the Shadow Rush hit my Pokémon for almost no damage. “You’re using a Shadow Pokémon! I bet you didn’t purify it just so it could counter my Delcatty!”

“Well, Lovrina,” I said, moving next to my Shadow Spheal. “I guess you will just have to...” I pulled a pair of shades out of my pocket and placed them on my Pokémon. “...Spheal with it.”

“YEEEAAAAHH!” the guy with Lovrina yelled out on impulse, before being silenced by a glare from the Admin.

“How many times are you going to use that bad joke?” she asked, looking disgusted.

“I’m using it until it stops being funny. So you will just have to...”

“DON’T SAY IT AGAIN!”

The rest of the battle was easy, if tedious. Neither of her Pokémon could put much damage on either of mine, so it was only a matter of time before her Luvdisc fell and her Delcatty was severely weakened. One Great Ball throw later, the Delcatty was mine and Lovrina was running for her life. She accidentally dropped a plot device CD containing valuable information as she ran, as villains tend to do. The Professor picked it up and ten minutes later, we were back at the lab getting it analyzed. Of course, though, the guy that was trying to decode it failed. I’ve just got to say, when your name is Datan and you can’t get data sorted out, you know you have failed your only purpose in life. The Professor asked me to take it to Pyrite Town to meet some of his friends there that he believed would be able to gather information from the disc, and I knew better by this point than to try to decline.

Before I headed off to Pyrite Town, I made a quick stop at Agate Village again to purify the Shadow Pokémon I had with me. When I was done, I had Marlow the Spheal and Fabian the Delcatty (who I was greatly amused to discover was male). And with that, I was ready to get back out there and show this region who was boss. Look out, world; John is back!

---

Team:

Princess (female Vaporeon) – Lax, lv. 21

Senri (male Teddiursa) – Relaxed, lv. 20

Boston (male Mightyena) – Adament, lv. 19

Marlow (male Spheal) – Quirky, lv. 20

Vriska (female Spinarak) – Bold, lv. 19

Fabian (male Delcatty) – Hardy, lv. 19

Current # of Revives: 1

RIP:

Ledyba, Lv. 10 – 10. (Sorry I got you killed by another Abra landing a crit Thunderpunch ;_; )

For the record, I don't plan on using that bad joke any more times. But when the RNG gave me the Spheal, I knew it had to happen.

--

July 17, 2011 at 1:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

ZOMG YOU GOT TEH SPHEAL!!!!!!

*looks again at party*

oh. but you got Vaporeon this time. oh well, i'm sure you'll Spheal with it and all that.

nice job beating Lovrina! can't wait to see the next update =)

--

The destructor has gone

July 17, 2011 at 6:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

YES, AND I LOVE THE SPHEAL SO MUCH!!

...But it is kind of pointless when the RNG gave me Vaporeon too. Ah well, he still makes good backup right now, so I am indeed Sphealing with it..

Thanks! Heh, it's kind of weird to be updating as I play the game. These don't take long to write, so next one should be out soon, depending on when I get back to the game.

--

July 17, 2011 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Woot! Grats on the awesome Pokes! I'm really liking the story- keep it up!

--

July 19, 2011 at 3:31 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

What is it with Villians dropping plot devices when they run away? I guess evil villan stylists forget to sew up the pockets? Such is the price for good fashion...

--

Ask me about my waifus

July 19, 2011 at 11:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

and Champions. Cynthia's only purpose in D/P was to leave plot devices. honestly, it's like they weren't even trying.

--

The destructor has gone

July 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I just got my own copy of this today and I've played through it a good ways. Now your story makes 10x time more sense and I am really liking it! o)

--

Ask me about my waifus

July 21, 2011 at 7:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Glad to hear everyone's enjoying this! ^.^

And yes, plot device dropping is very disappointing in the Pokemon games. :I

Alright, I am not dead yet, so a new update should be up either sometime much later tonight or noonish tomorrow.

--

July 21, 2011 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

When I get to Pyrite Town, I instantly want to turn tail and leave. It’s the filthiest place I’ve ever seen. There’s not a spot of metal that isn’t encrusted with rust. All of the people in the streets are shady, and challenge me to a fight if I so much as try to ask for directions. Well, at least that means I’m getting plenty of experience for my Pokémon. This town houses a Colosseum, and I decide to try my luck there. For the most part, it’s pretty easy, since all of the contestants have their Pokémon at level 20 and all of my team is past that. The last match gives me some major trouble, though. I have Senri and Princess out, and I’m having trouble against a Plusle and a Minun, of all things. They both target Princess, so I switch out to Fabian, who I haven’t trained much and I could afford to lose. That was a wise move: A Shock Wave criticals, and Fabian is down. Boston comes in, and his Dig attack wreaks havoc. The match doesn’t last long after that, and soon I’m declared the winner and I get some money and the Brick Break TM. I’m a little upset to lose Fabian so quickly, but Senri already has the position of Normal type filled, and my team is weak enough to Fighting as it is. I leave the Delcatty to rest in peace in the PC box and head over to the cleanest building in this town, since I’m sure that’s where I’ll find the guy who can decode the Data Rom that Lovrina dropped.

The building belongs to ONBS, the only news station in Orre. Without competition, they get away with the most boring stories, like one about a cruise ship disappearing. As if that didn’t happen every day with Sharpedo out and about. Anyway, whoever designed this building probably never understood the point of elevators. The elevator on the ground floor only brought me one floor up, where I had to get off and head to the other side of the building to find another elevator, which only took me up to the next floor. This continued until I finally made it to the roof. The president of ONBS had his office up here, and when I met with him, he agreed to check out the Rom, having already been contacted by the Professor. It was going to take a while, so I went to check out these things called “Pokéspots” while I waited. There are three of these spots, one in the desert, one by an oasis, and one in a cave, and they are the only places in this region where wild Pokémon show up. I head to the desert one first, hoping to find anything but a Gligar, which won’t evolve in this region. My luck holds out, and I find a Sandshrew. Usually wild Pokémon are around level 12, but I get really lucky and find one that’s level 19, so it won’t be too difficult to train up to the team’s standard. I catch her and name her Audrey, and then set out for the oasis spot. Even though I just caught a Ground type, I’m really hoping to get a Phanpy there so I can name it Roll Tide. But here my luck isn’t so great, and I end up with a low-level Hoppip named Tiny. So I’m finally off to the cave spot, but when I get there, it turns out there’s already people there. Two of them are just generic minions, but the main guy? The instant I lay eyes on him, disco music starts up somewhere and he starts grooving. His name is Miror B, his outfit must have come straight off a dance floor from some forty years ago, and he has the most glorious, gigantic afro I’ve ever seen. I kid you not, I could have fit inside this guy’s afro, and I actually really wanted to try climbing into it. He tells me that it’s his dream to own every Pokémon in the world and asks me to join him. I emphatically agree. I will do whatever that afro commands of me. But he doesn’t believe me. He thinks my heart just isn’t in to joining him, no matter how many times I say I will follow him anywhere. To my great disappointment, we end up in a Pokémon battle. He has a couple of Lombre that groove in sync to his music, which is so awesome that I almost regret taking them down. He also has a Shadow Voltorb, which greatly resembles his red and white afro, so I catch it so I have something that can always remind me of that glorious hair. He runs off with his two minions (which must have been difficult in his high heels), and I try to decide if the Voltorb counts or not as my catch for this area. I finally decide that if Miror B. can’t be classified as a boss, something is wrong with the world, so I leave and come back to find a freaking Aron. Words can not describe how happy I am to find this guy, since I know how great their defenses are. I send out Senri to catch it, since he won’t do almost any damage with a normal type attack. I’m almost ready to catch it when I order one more Return attack from Senri, which of course criticals and kills the Aron. It’s going to take a long time before I stop hating my Teddiursa.

Anyway, with the Pokéspot business taken care of, I head back to Pyrite to see if any progress has been made on the disc. I guess I shouldn’t have been surprised to find the building swarming with Cipher Peons. They had taken over the building and I had to fight my way up to the president on the top floor. See, this is why the president’s office should never be on the top floor; it makes it really difficult when he inevitably gets in trouble and the protagonist has to make it all the way up to him. I managed to get another Revive in the building at least. I snagged a Shadow Vulpix from one of the Peons, but I got it killed pretty quickly. Whoops. I had decided at this point that I should always try to have at least one Shadow Pokémon whenever I faced a boss, so I was lucky to still have that Shadow Voltorb I got from Miror B. Or at least, I was lucky until it also got killed ten minutes later. I put Marlow in my party in case I needed a meat-shield and headed to the roof, where there was a guy with... A FREAKING SHADOW RALTS!?! Augh, it’s like an Emerald Nuzlocke all over again! There’s this awesome Ralts, and it even has the ability you want for it, and you can’t catch it. Anyway, the Peon doesn’t cause me any trouble, and I send him packing pretty quickly. And now just to head into the president’s office, where I’m assuming the boss will be waiting. Sure enough, there’s a Cipher Admin named Exol who is threatening to hurt the president’s sister if he doesn’t hand over the Rom, so he has to agree. Exol snatches it and is about to leave when he takes notice of me blocking the door. He must be three times my size and could easily push me out of the way, but like every good villain, he challenges me to a match instead. I send out Princess and Audrey, who is now a Sandslash and has learned Brick Break from the TM I won, while he sends out a Loudred and a Girafarig. They’re both down with a Brick Break and a Bite, so all he has left is a Shadow Mawile and a Raichu. And here’s where things get crazy. I don’t want to keep Princess out for long against a Raichu, so I let her stay out for one more turn before switching her out. The Mawile gets her with a Shadow Rush, but she’s still in green health. I send out Senri, whose Return attack is pretty powerful, and focus on taking out the Raichu. Unfortunately, the Admin is clever enough to focus on one of my Pokémon as well, and takes out Senri right after I get his Raichu. Other than the time he killed the Aron, Senri has been pretty awesome so far, so I’m disappointed to lose him. I send out Marlow and switch out Audrey for Vriska. And then crit happens. TWICE. That freaking Mawile took out Marlow in one hit, and when I send out Princess, it pulls off another critical and takes out my starter. Needless to say, I am not amused. I send out Boston, who I figure can Bite the Mawile and possibly score a flinch while Vriska can use Night Shade to get its health down enough for me to catch it. But then, guess what happens with Boston’s Bite? Yep, another critical when I don’t need it. The Mawile only has about a quarter of its health left, and as the Night Shade hits it, I have to watch its health disappear. Three of my Pokémon KO’d in this fight, and I won’t even get the boss’s ‘mon to show for it. But then, by some miracle, the Mawile stands back up and the battle continues. I check again, and sure enough, there’s the tiniest line of red in its health bar that is practically undetectable unless you know it’s there. I toss out a Great Ball, and the Mawile is easily caught. The Admin flees, and the president and my country thanks me. He tells me that before the Data Rom was taken, he learned that Cipher was planning something sinister over at Phenac City, and begs me to help. I have to wonder what’s keeping everyone from going to the police, but I agree to go check it out. Though not before using one of my Revives to bring back my precious Princess, of course!

---

Team:

Audrey (Sandslash) – Lv. 26

Princess (Vaporeon) – Lv. 26

Boston (Mightyena) – Lv. 24

Vriska (Ariados) – Lv. 25

Shadow Mawile (female) – Lv. 22

Tiny (male Hoppip, on back-up) – Lv. 10

# of Revives: 1

RIP:

Fabian (Delcatty): Lv. 18 – 19

Marlow (Spheal): Lv. 17 – 20

Senri (Teddiursa): Lv. 11 – 23

Shadow Vulpix: Lv. 18

Shadow Voltorb: Lv. 19

--

July 22, 2011 at 2:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

at first i Epic Sadfaced when i read that Princess died, then i remembered the Revives rule and it all felt better. are you allowing for multiple resurrections? like, if Princess dies again, can you Revive her again?

but man, you're still kind of getting screwed here. Mt. Battle is your friend, Tam.

--

The destructor has gone

July 22, 2011 at 5:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Well, that's what I was planning on, anyway. I never really considered not doing multiple resurrections.

I was at a pretty good level compared to this guy; I think i had this planned out alright, I just had bad luck. But yes, after this I've been overleveling like a boss. The only problem with Mt. Battle is right now I'm at that awkward point where one area is way too underleved for me, but the next area is too risky, so I've mostly been challenging the random people in different towns over and over again.

--

July 22, 2011 at 10:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Ok, so, something happened, and i have never been so tempted to drop a Nuzlocke.

I was bad and broke the second rule. Let me start by saying I have NOT used what I caught. See, in each Pokespot place, there's one really rare Pokemon. When I played this game before, I spent HOURS trying to catch two specifically: Trapinch from the desert, because I really want to see what a Flygon looks like in this game, and Wooper from the cave, because you can trade it in for a Larvitar and I have yet to ever use a T-Tar. Well, while I was playing today, I went to the Pokespots just for this little event where you need to find a girl's Bonsly. And what did I find in the desert and the cave? Yep. Trapinch and Wooper. Just like that, standing there mocking me. MOCKING ME I TELL YOU. HOURS of searching for them, and they show up in a NUZLOCKE!? Not cool, random number generator built into the game's programing. Not cool at all. Anyway, those two guys are now sitting untouched in the PC box, but I still thought I should let you all know that I caught some things I shouldn't have. I am ashamed, yes, but I could not pass those suckers up. If you think that just the catch itself means this run should be forfeit, go ahead and say so. I'd be sad to stop this after getting this far, but then, I'd be happy to wreck this game with a Flygon and T-Tar.

Anyway, ranting aside, I've gotten a lot further into this Nuzlocke, and I'll probably make an update soon. Assuming you guys don't think I should quit.

--

July 29, 2011 at 2:11 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

if you don't use them, it doesn't matter that you caught them. go catch 20 Trapinch if you want, and if they never see battle, what does it matter? same reason i think it's acceptable to catch shinies in a Nuzlocke. besides, i'm enjoying this too much to let it end like that. keep going =)

--

The destructor has gone

July 29, 2011 at 10:13 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Nick echos my thoughts exactly. I have caught many Pokemon in the course of a Nuzlocke that aren't supposed to be, but they always go into a little box called "No" and sit there till the Nuzlocke is done. I know what you mean about searching for those Rare Pokemon. I was lucky to get my Surskit as the first in the Oasis, but after that it took me till I was at Citadark Island to get the Wooper and Trapinch. (I actually ended up with 2 Wooper too. xD)

--

Ask me about my waifus

July 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Alright, this is a really short update, but I'm puttin most of my focus in actually beating this game before I leave for college. I'm probably just going to take notes for a while and then focus on updates after I (hopefully) beat the game. One quick thing: I made a bit of an adjustment to the revive rule to make things a little more difficult for myself. From now on, I can only revive something if I have a revive at the time when it dies. This way, I can't depend on a single team and just revive them whenever I need. This will come into play in the next update, and it should hopefully make this into a bit more of a traditional Nuzlocke.

---

Being the great hero that I am, I headed for Phenac City the instant I heard it was in danger. Absolutely nothing can get in my way or make me back down! NOTHING!

...Except that right when I stepped into the city, a lady was there to greet me and tell me I’m exactly the one millionth visitor, and I’ve won a sweet prize! Awesome! What are the odds!? The woman gave me some Battle CDs and pointed me to the Realgam Tower where I could use them. I hopped back on my scooter and headed there as fast as I could.

Two hours later, after I beat the last of the Battle CDs, I suddenly got the feeling I was forgetting something. Oh, right, Phenac is in danger! Okay, NOW nothing can stop me from saving the city! Back to Phenac!

Once I get to the City, I notice something odd is up. Everyone is acting strangely, and many of them are walking with creepy Pokémon, like Absol and Duskull. After a bit of detective work that, for the sake of saving time, I won’t go into details about, I learned that Cipher had already made their move. They had infiltrated the city, and were disguised as residents. Everyone I talked to would reveal themselves to be Cipher Peons and challenge me to a battle. The stupid sextuplets I ran into outside of the Cipher base were here as well, so I took the opportunity to nab a Shadow Houndour off of one of them. In one of the buildings, I also got a Shadow Pineco from a random Peon. After I took care of everyone outside, I went to check a place called the Pre Gym in the City, where the Leader, Justy, would take on challengers. Sure enough, this place had been taken over, too. The Peons were easy to handle with my overleveled team, and I soon sent them all packing after taking a Shadow Roselia from one, which I was ecstatic to get as it was exactly what my team needed. I learned from one of the Peons that the people of Phenac were being kept in the basement here, but I would need to get an Elevator Key off of the Cipher Admin Snattle to save them. Of course, before I rushed into a boss battle, I would need to train the newest members of my team. I took an hour or so purifying and training the Houndour and the Roselia, naming them Styx and Jenny, respectively. Styx took the place of my Mightyena, Boston, and I boxed my horribly underleveled Hoppip to make room for Jenny.

And back to Phenac once more! Admin Snattle was in the Phenac Stadium, with four Peons just inside the building to stop anyone coming in. I took care of all of them easily, and snagged a Shadow Grimer off of one of them. A quick heal-up, and then I went in to face the boss. I faced off against Snattle, who sent out a Lanturn and a Quagsire. I sent out my Shadow Mawile and Jenny. Jenny obviously took out the Quagsire in one hit, so he switched out to his Shadow Pokémon, a Lunatone. Jenny was taking more damage than I was comfortable with, so I switched with Princess just as the Lanturn was finally taken down. Snattle sent out his Metang, which meant he was down to his last two Pokémon. I had to switch and heal frequently, but I finally managed to beat the Metang with Styx, who was now an evolved Houndoom, and I snagged the Lunatone. Snattle fled for his life, after doing what bosses do best and dropping something that I needed to advance the plot, the Elevator Key. Chalk another flawless victory up for John Locke! I released everyone from the Pre Gym basement, and the Mayor gave me the Exp. Share in gratitude. Ultimate loot obtained! Oh, also, I got the TM for Ice Beam in the Stadium and taught that to Princess.

On a bit of an impulse, I decided to try to train the Pineco, figuring a Forretress would be great on my team. I purified him, named him Stalworth, and promptly got him killed in the Pyrite Colosseum when a Rhyhorn hit him with Fire Blast. It turns out, every time you go to the Colosseum, the matches get harder. Well, lesson learned. Sorry, Stalworth...

I finally purified the Mawile and named her Siren, which is a pretty fitting name with that creepy giant mouth thing she has and with the fact that she knows Sing. I left her at the Day Care in Agate Village and put the Lunatone on my team. After a couple hours of training the entire team, I also purified him and named him Reaper. And now, with my whole team very nicely trained, I’m ready to head off to new places.

---

Team:

Princess (Vaporeon) Lv. 31

Jenny (Roselia) Lv. 29

Vriska (Ariados) Lv. 28

Audrey (Sandslash) Lv. 29

Reaper (Lunatone) Lv. 27

Styx (Houndoom) Lv. 28

# of Revives: 1

--

July 30, 2011 at 1:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I hate PR lately.  Its been glitchy and buggy.

Anyway, the name Vriska for an Ariados makes me happier then it really should.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

July 30, 2011 at 2:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I know, it's been weird for me, too. Hopefully it will get better before too long...

Heh, I figured that was a fitting name. But I think I'm starting to develop an addiction to naming things off of Homestuck; I have a Dialga named Equius, and I keep picturing it sweating like crazy and enjoying getting orders way too much... =/

--

July 30, 2011 at 4:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

That made me lawl.  I haven't actually named anything off of Homestuck, simply because nothing really fits.  I thought about naming a Bouffalant Tavros, but I figured that was too cliche.  Also thought about naming my Purrloin Nepeta, but I'm glad I didn't since I threw that thing away instantaneously.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

July 30, 2011 at 4:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

180 views - 0 comments
175 views - 1 comment
237 views - 4 comments
200 views - 0 comments