Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Pokemon XD Nuzlocke?

Tamoria

The XD isn't a smilie, I'm refering to the Gamecube game with the weird name. You know, Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, where you catch other people's "Shadow Pokemon". I've been really tempted to try Nuzlocking it, which will probably end very poorly considering every battle is a double battle, which means waaay higher chances of someone fainting. Anyway, if I tried it and did a simple journal style narration of it, would anyone be interested?

The tentative rules that I'm considering would be:

-Faint = death

-First encounter in each new area only. The outside area of towns and different buildings in the town are each different areas.

--Note: Sometimes, you can get on the roof of a building. I wasn't exactly sure how to classify this, but I think it should be considered part of the building rather than the outside area.

--Exception: Can catch one Pokemon from every "boss" battle. Bosses mostly refer to Admins and characters with their own unique design.

Any questions, comments, or suggestions?

--

July 14, 2011 at 12:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

yeah, because of the double battle thing, i'd be very surprised if you pulled this off. but because that game is so linear and you know what your first encounter is always going to be, i'd like to propose the idea of catching everything but only allowing yourself to keep/use one Pokemon per area. the reason it works in traditional nuzlocke is because of the random encounter rates that aren't present in XD.

if you wanna be real quirky with it, you could use an independent RNG. catch everything in the area, then assign each Pokemon a number, and use a RNG to pick which one you keep. you could even use the RNG to determine what you evolve your starter Eevee into.

under those rules, i'd suggest making the definition of "areas" stricter. and i still like the idea of considering bosses to be separate. 

of course, i'd follow anything you chose to do, Tam, but i like this idea in particular. i say go for it!

--

The destructor has gone

July 14, 2011 at 1:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Hmm, I like the idea of using a RNG. And I'll do that for the Eevee, too. I think I'll keep the areas as they are, though, since again this is going to be difficult with the double battles and I'll need everything I can get. Besides, I think this will still add up to only two or three Pokemon from each town, since there's usually only one building that you can catch things in, anyway.

Thanks, I'm glad to hear that! I'll probably start it sometime today.

--

July 14, 2011 at 1:23 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

yeah, i think that's a good call on the areas now that i think about it. there aren't very many "areas" in XD if you exclude buildings... you'd have a hard time building a whole team unless you did that.

and again though, i really like the idea of making bosses special. like, i think you should get to choose which one you keep from the boss.

can't wait to see!

--

The destructor has gone

July 14, 2011 at 2:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I never played XD but I did play the first one and it was AWESOME. I totally support a nuzlocke of XD! It'd be an interesting read, regardless of how you did the pokemon choice. Keep us updated, plz?

--

July 14, 2011 at 2:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I always wanted to do a Nuzlocke of the Gamecube games, but on SotC it just isn't possible. If anything I figured it could be done in XD. So yeah, I am for it. I believe in you!

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

July 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

yeah, every time i see "XD" typed out here, i automatically see a smily. the internet ruined those letters for me.

--

The destructor has gone

July 14, 2011 at 3:04 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Hey, there. I’m John. Height: Average. Hair: Crazy. Goggles: Check. I live in the Orre region, where wild Pokémon are extremely rare. But at least I have an Eevee, which was given to me by my father, before he... well, let’s not talk about that.

I live in the Pokémon lab run by Professor Krane, since my mom works there. I have a kid sister, Jovi, who is the most annoying person I know. Mom wants to see her right now for something, and of course she’s no where to be found. Guess who has to go find her?

I look around the lab for a good ten minutes before finding a guy that she was playing hide-and-seek with. He suggests that she might have gone to see Dr. Kaminko, an inventor with the creepiest mansion you have ever seen. I tell him he should go get her since he’s the one playing the game, and he tells me that he can’t because Jovi is “it”, so it makes no sense for him to chase her down. Can’t argue with that logic.

It takes me almost no time at all to get to the mansion with my moped. I arrive and I’m almost through the doors when a voice suddenly calls out for me to stop. It’s Chobin, Kaminko’s insane assistant with weird swirly glasses, and he thinks I’m here to rob the place. I try to explain to him that I’m John, and that he’s seen me at least a dozen times in the past month as I have to come here pretty often to fetch my sister, but he’s too busy flipping out to hear a word I say. He sends out a Sunkern, because of course THAT would strike fear into the heart of any burglar, so I send out my Eevee who takes care of the thing with a single critical Bite. This apparently shocks the guy so much that his glasses pop off, and without those things on his face he suddenly recognizes me and lets me in. I find Jovi inside pestering Dr. Kaminko, but she leaves him alone the instant I come in and runs over to bother me instead. I drag her out of the house and, just to get her to stop throwing a tantrum about leaving, I tell her I’m lost and need her to direct me home. She falls for it and I’m finally able to get her back to the lab.

I’m sent on yet another expedition in the lab to find Professor Krane, which takes me at least half an hour. I ask a random old man wandering around if he’s seen him, and he tells me he went downstairs. I’ve already checked there several times, but lo and behold, there he is, apparently having spawned out of thin air after I talked to the old man. He’s been working on something and wants me to try it on. It’s this machine that you wear on your arm that lets you catch other people’s Pokémon. What did he call it again...? A Swag Machine, right? Well, let’s go with that. I equip the swag, and it fits perfectly and looks awesome, like I have a cyborg arm or something. Krane steps out of the room, and while I’m there flexing my arm and showing off my swag, there’s suddenly all these loud noises and someone screams that the Professor is being kidnapped. I run out and see that everyone is standing around, and I figure I’m going to have to go rescue him, because apparently it takes a kid to stand up to criminal organizations. I head outside and, sure enough, these guys in weird white uniforms are dragging Krane to their truck. I rush forward to stop them, and one of them gets in my way and sends out a Teddiursa. I send out my Eevee again, but before I can command it to attack, this weird scanner thing appears over my eye from the Swag Machine, and through it I can see this weird black aura thing surrounding the Pokémon. There’s also a bar in the top of the screen that tells me its power level is 9001, but I’m not sure what that means. Krane sees the scanner thing over my eye and yells out that if the machine is reacting that way, the Teddiursa must be a Shadow Pokémon and that I should catch it. I grab a pokéball, which the machine turns into a Swag Ball, and I catch the thing without weakening it at all. I guess it couldn’t handle all of my swag. Now, normally you would expect villains to give up instantly after being beaten in a Pokémon battle by a kid, but these guys obviously don’t know how to be evil because they take off with Krane anyway. Man, not cool.

I’m not sure exactly how, but after that it was decided that I should go to Gateon Port to get a machine part for something they’re working on in the lab, and I had to bring Jovi because I guess I hadn’t suffered through enough of her company yet. We arrived at Gateon and she’s running around, raving in the third person which is just how she talks for whatever reason, and she manages to crash right into this huge freak that throws a fit about how she messed up his groove or something. But before I take care of him, this old midget guy with two tall people following him walks up and starts lecturing the big guy. One of the tall dudes with him, who is dressed in blue, steps forward and sends him packing with an Alakazam. Jovi thanks the guys as they leave, and the small old fellow turns back and says something cryptic. He seemed like a nice enough guy, but since he’s wearing dark robes, it’s pretty safe to assume he’s actually evil. Anyway, we make it to the store that sells machinery, and a sailor in there tells us that everyone that works there is gone. Of course. We’re about to leave to find them, but the sailor calls me back and offers me a stone that I can use to evolve my Eevee. He has five stones which would all evolve him into something different. Now, I should probably take this time to explain something about myself: I hate choices. I absolutely despise making decisions, so when he held out the stones, I closed my eyes and picked one at random. I ended up with a Moon Shard, which will evolve my Eevee into an Umbreon the next time he levels up. I thank the sailor and we leave to find someone who works there. It doesn’t take too long to find the moody grandson of the shop owner, who takes us back and gives us the part after complaining about how ungrateful his grandpa is for his help. Jovi tags along with me as I explore the town a bit more. I find a bunch of free stuff laying around in the lighthouse, and at the top is this buffed up woman that has to be on some major steroids. She challenges me to a battle and sends out a Zubat and a Poochyena, the latter of which my scanner reacts to again, revealing it to be another Shadow Pokémon. I send out my Eevee and Teddiursa, and while one takes out the Zubat, the other weakens the Poochyena so I can catch it in another Swag Ball. The Poochyena joined my team without any fuss, and while I was exploring the rest of the city, I met someone else with a Shadow Pokémon, this one a Ledyba. Again, this one wasn’t hard to catch, so my team had grown to four by the time I left to go back to the lab to deliver the machine part.

I’m barely at the lab for two minutes before I get landed with another task. This time, I have to go to Agate Village, where I can purify my Shadow Pokémon if they “open the door to their hearts” or some cheesy thing like that. Agate Village is basically a retirement home, so I decide to try to get everything done quickly and get out as soon as possible. I challenge every old geezer I see to a Pokémon battle so my team will open their hearts faster, and before long I had beaten everyone in the Village and evolved my old companion into an Umbreon. I was advised to find someone named Eagun who could lead me to the Relic Stone, which would purify my Pokémon, and while looking for him, I found the Name Rater. I decided it was about time to give my starter Pokémon a name, and spent a good ten minutes thinking about it. It had to be great, a name fit for a king... Huh, actually, that would do nicely. King. It was fitting. I set off with King, and before long finally found Eagun, who led me to the Relic Stone. After all of the battles I had gone through, everyone on my team was ready to open their hearts. I named them all as I purified them, and soon I had Sasha the Teddiursa, Kilroy the Poochyena, and Stella the Ledyba.

I got word that some suspicious guys were seen out in the desert, and so headed there next in case they happened to be the guys that had taken the Professor. I know it sounds like a long shot, but things like that always seemed to work out in the right way. While driving around on my moped, I came across tire tracks in the sand, which led me right to a base in the middle of the desert. Right as I hop off my sweet ride, the door opens and these six guys come charging out. They all look exactly alike and are wearing the same uniform, except in different colors. They start yelling about how they’re sextuplets and how their brotherly love can conquer anything. I go around and methodically beat one after the other, and by the end, they’re all huddled together and weeping while I have six more shadow Pokémon: Seedot, Gulpin, Mareep, Baltoy, Spheal, and Houndour. That was obviously way too much for me to handle, so I picked a pokéball at random and stuffed the others into the PC box from a PC station that had been conveniently placed just inside the base. I released the Pokémon from the ball to find that it was the Baltoy, which I was fine with even though a small part of me had been kind of hoping for the cute Spheal. But I guess I would just have to... Spheal with it. I returned the Baltoy and set off down the hall to find the Professor.

----

Current Team:

King (male Eevee) – Lv. 15. Calm

Sasha (female Teddiursa) – Lv. 14. Naughty

Kilroy (male Poochyena) – Lv. 14. Gentle

Stella (female Ledyba) – Lv. 13. Relaxed

Baltoy (Shadow Pokémon) – Lv. 17. Nature not yet revealed.

Alright, so this is a pretty different style for me. Not sure if I’ll keep it or not. Depending on what you guys think, I can either keep updates like this or go more in-depth. I mostly did this to get the intro stuff out of the way and get on to the actual gameplay.

--

July 14, 2011 at 9:51 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Gah, you made your own Pun! 

To tell the truth, I'm not sure I like this. Do
I dunno if it is just because I haven't played the game or something else, but your story is going so fast it is hard to keep up with, among other things.

I do approve of King though. We could all use more of "The King." Uh-huh.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

July 14, 2011 at 10:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Yeah, I'm not too pleased with how this turned out, honestly. I think I'm going to do future updates more like how I usually write and slow things down. I think this first part is sort of the result of trying out something new combined with trying to hurry through a part of the game that I really don't like (the beginning of XD is sooo freaking slow). I'll put more effort into updates from here on out.

And thanks. At first I was a little dissapointed to get an Umbreon, but so far King is a total bro. He's barely ever gotten his health into even the yellow.

--

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

....I liked the writing style....

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

July 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

man, i disagree. look, XD is total garbage as far as story is concerned, so what do you expect? besides, you went in saying it'd be a "simple journal style narration," and it definitely fits that style description. so the only way i think one can not like it is if they don't like that style. maybe i'm the only one who does like that style (did you ever read Harmony's Pearl? it's just like this, maybe a little more raw) but i do and i was pleased by this first update too.

the problem here (working under the flawed assumption that there is one) is with the story, not the style. the only way you can improve this is to radically alter the story with your own creations. the other games don't have much in the way of stories but enough is left out that you can fill in the holes with your imagination. the downside of XD though is it's a thorough story, it's just bad. it's a hell of a lot of fun to play but you'd have to REALLY work at it to salvage that storyline. but even having ripped the story like i just have, your humor and eloquence more than make up for it in my opinion.

in short, there's nothing wrong with what you have. is it A New Path? no, of course not. but no XD narration ever will be, i don't care if the ghost of Voltaire writes it.

it's fine as it is, Tammy. stick with it until the story gets more interesting. if you still feel blah about it then, reconsider a style change. but give it a little more of a chance as it is.

although... there is one part i'd like to rewrite:

"I released the Pokémon from the ball to find that it was the Baltoy, which I was fine with even though a small part of me had been kind of hoping for the cute Spheal. But I guess I would just have to...

... Spheal with it."

--

The destructor has gone

July 14, 2011 at 11:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Mitsuo-Dexl at July 14, 2011 at 10:58 PM

....I liked the writing style....

for the record, since my last post began with the words "i disagree," i'd like to say i was not disagreeing with this. Mitsuo posted this as i was writing mine and looking up CSI-related .jpgs >.>

--

The destructor has gone

July 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I lol'd.

Okay, I lie.  I rofl'd

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

July 14, 2011 at 11:34 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

[email protected]

I liked it. I've never played the game so I didn't follow it as well as I could have but I think this is definitely worth continuing. If you don't personally like it too much, you could always try writing in a different style every update. Roulette narration ftw?

--

July 14, 2011 at 11:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Alright, glad to hear it was liked. This is my first time writing like this, so I wasn't sure how it would read. Seeing that it's been pretty well-received, I'll keep it like this, maybe just a little bit slower so I can actually explain what's going on. And that CSI thing? I laughed way too hard XD (and that right there was a smilie, just sayin'). I came so close to writing YEEEEAAAAHHH! in parenthesis at that part, so it was just that much more amusing.

By the way, I just played a bit further, and I've found it necessary to add a few emergency rules. I'm not going any further in-game until I update to the point I'm at so you can all yea or nay these rules, though. I'll post them after the next update and you can tell me what you think.

--

July 15, 2011 at 12:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

I didn’t get far before someone dropped from the ceiling and challenged me to a battle. I let the new Baltoy handle it with Stella, and they won without too much trouble. The person that had challenged me looked like she was about to turn tail and run already, but I grabbed hold of her before she could and demanded that she told me who she was working for. She answered me as briefly as she could with as little information as possible, introducing herself as a member of an organization called Cipher that was turning Pokémon into Shadow Pokémon in order to make them perfect fighting tools. She warned me that I was in for a lot of trouble if I messed with them, and I demonstrated how worried that made me by yawning ostentatiously. At that, she tugged out of my grip and ran off, fuming.

I kept the Baltoy at the front of the party so he would battle whenever a Cipher Peon challenged me, and his heart opened up quickly because of that. Pretty soon, I had to make a quick trip back to Agate Village to purify him (er, technically a Baltoy is an “it”, but using “he” to refer to the Pokémon is a lot easier). The shadows left him, allowing him to relearn moves that had before been replaced with powerful Shadow attack moves. I named him Quo and headed back to the Cipher base with the team in tow.

While exploring even further into the base, I stumbled into a room where two scientists were arguing about some Shadow Pokémon called XD001. They were so engrossed with debating how best to make it completely “unpurifyable” that they didn’t notice my presence until I tried to sneak past them to get a Great Ball that was just lying in the room for anyone to take. They moved to stop me and the closest scientist sent out his Pokémon, a Wynaut and a Spinarak. My scanner reacted to the Spinarak, which was another Shadow Pokémon. I sent out King and Sasha to weaken the Spinarak, and only turned my attention back to the Wynaut when I had managed to safely catch the bug Pokémon. I wanted to make sure I took it out in one turn before it could pull off a Counter, so I had King use Tail Whip to lower its defense. I was pretty sure that Sasha’s Lick attack wouldn’t be countered, so after King had used another Tail Whip, I ordered her to use that attack to weaken it a little. It turns out, I was wrong. Sasha’s attack did a ton of damage, but the Wynaut hung on and used Counter. Sasha didn’t stand a chance...

King took it out easily with a Bite on the next turn, and then teamed up with Stella to take on the other scientist. There was a tense moment when the scientist’s Dustox landed a critical Gust on Stella, but she pulled through it and the last scientist was beaten without any more incident. I made a short trip back up to the PC to deposit Sasha in the box that was specially designed to hold deceased Pokémon until they could be properly buried. I said a short goodbye to the Teddiursa that I had barely gotten to know and headed back through the base to continue the search for the Professor.

I snagged a Shadow Numel off of a Cipher Peon not long after heading through some new areas, and sent it to the PC along with the Spinarak. I took yet another elevator in this seemingly unending building, and as I walked out onto another new floor, I almost tripped on a Peon that was on the ground whimpering over his leg. Apparently, he had been waiting on the ceiling like all the other Peons did when he lost his grip and fell, possibly breaking his leg. I didn’t have much sympathy for a guy that had been hanging from the ceiling in the hopes of launching a surprise attack on a kid, but I was still willing to leave him alone if he would let me past. But no, he had to be stubborn and sent out his Pokémon to fight. He sent out an Abra and a Machop, and I sent out the two Pokémon at the head of my party, King and Stella. The Abra threw up a Reflect to protect himself and the Machop just before my Umbreon lunged at it with a Bite attack that only barely left it alive. The Machop charged in with a Karate Chop, which Stella took for King and then retaliated with an Aerial Ace. Both of the Peon’s Pokémon were just barely hanging on, so I called for my own to repeat what they had done. And that’s when the Abra did something that I couldn’t have expected. It used Thunderpunch. That frail, weak looking Pokémon that should only be able to Teleport USED. FUCKING. THUNDERPUNCH. It landed a critical hit on Stella, who dropped from the sky and landed in a smoldering, unmoving heap. King finished it off, and thankfully the Machop used Leer rather than an attacking move that would have done major damage to the Umbreon. Quo finished the Machop off before it could make another move. I recalled all of the Pokémon and made sure to step on the Peon’s injured leg on my way back to the elevator to go back to the PC yet again.

Now that I only had three Pokémon left, I knew I couldn’t afford to let any of them be underleveled. Since I had King on the team and he was so reliable, I hadn’t put much effort into training my Poochyena, Kilroy, but I decided I couldn’t ignore him any longer. And that’s the decision that made my day even worse. The next Cipher Peon I encountered had another Shadow Pokémon, this time a Carvanha, and a Magnemite. I sent out Quo and Kilroy and ordered the Poochyena to Dig, figuring I could kill two birds with one stone by keeping Kilroy out of harm while easily taking out the Magnemite in one hit. What I hadn’t considered was that the Carvanha would be faster. The Carvanha used Shadow Blitz, a powerful move that was Super Effective against everything that wasn’t a Shadow Pokémon, and that one attack took out Kilroy. As I sent out King, I realized with horror that I was down to only two Pokémon. I had entered this building with five, and I was down to two. I couldn’t afford to play around anymore. I took out both of the Peon's Pokémon and didn’t catch the Carvanha. The Peon managed to get away before I could get my hands on him, so I turned to make yet another trip up to the PC.

At long, long last, I managed to find the Professor. He was in an unlocked room with only one guy watching him. Krane was finishing up a lecture on why it was a horrible thing to create Shadow Pokémon, and the Cipher Peon looked like he had fallen asleep behind his visor while listening. Which meant, of course, that Krane could have left at any point. I tried to remind myself that he probably wouldn’t have made it far without being stopped by another Peon, but I was still left wondering if I had gone through so much for nothing. The Peon snorted awake as the Professor greeted me, and once he had recollected his thoughts, he challenged me to a battle. It was not an easy fight, but King and Quo made an amazing team and just managed to pull through together. Cliché as it might sound, seeing their teamwork gave me a bit of hope yet. The last Peon fled, and I took Krane back the way I had come. We took the elevator to the top floor and the exit was in sight when we heard the elevator opening again behind us. A girl with two giant pink pigtails exited the elevator with a muscular Peon right behind here and stood there glaring at me with her arms crossed. She explained to me how she needed the Professor in order to perfect some “XD001” project, in the impatient tone of voice of someone explaining something that should be elementary and universally understood. She asked if I would just go and leave the Professor, and after the long day I had had, I decided to answer yes. Yes, I would just leave Krane. Krane laughed nervously and told me not to joke around, and the Cipher Admin, who had introduced herself as Luvrina, giggled and asked if I really would leave him. Again, I answered yes and got the exact reactions. No matter how often I insisted that I was done, they kept on pressing me until I finally realized this was going nowhere. The next time Luvrina asked me, I said that I wouldn’t leave Krane, making him sigh in relief while the Admin stomped the ground in frustration. And so with only two Pokémon left, I had to take on my hardest opponent yet...

She sent out a Luvdisc and Beautifly, both of which targeted Quo. I focused on taking down the Luvdisc while alternating turns to heal my Baltoy. I was able to take down both Pokémon on the same turn with King biting down on the fish Pokémon and Quo using Rock Tomb on the Beautifly. Luvrina didn’t look too concerned as she withdrew them and sent out a Roselia and Shadow Delcatty. I could tell the Delcatty was powerful enough to give me major trouble, so I had King focus on lowering its accuracy with Sand Attack while Quo used Psybeam on the Roselia. I repeated this a couple of times, but luck was not on my side: the Delcatty kept attacking as if the sand had no affect on it, and attacked Quo with a powerful Shadow Rush that left him barely able to keep his balance. Before he had a chance to attack back, the Roselia finished him off with Mega Drain... It was hard to watch him fall after he had pulled through so much with King against all odds. But even harder to watch was the rest of the hopeless battle. The Roselia planted Leech Seed on King, while the Delcatty finally missed for once. But on the next turn, everything worked against us. Despite all the times it had been hit by Sand Attack, the Delcatty still landed a solid hit on King, leaving him with his health in the low yellow. I still thought he might survive the Roselia’s attack with his high Special Defense, but the plant Pokémon had an attack I hadn’t been expecting: Pin Missle. Which, of COURSE, hit all five times. King was an amazingly tough Pokémon: he survived the attack with 2 HP. Maybe it would have been better if he hadn’t... I closed my eyes so I wouldn’t have to see as the last of his health was sapped by the Leech Seed, but I could still hear his cry when he fell. I stumbled numbly over to the body of the Pokémon that had been by my side for years. The Pokémon that Dad had given me before he died. I sunk to the floor and stared at nothing, barely aware of Luvrina ordering the man with her to haul Professor Krane back to his room. Just before I whited out, one last thought repeated through my head:

...How could I fail so horribly so soon...?

---

RIP:

Sasha (Teddiursa): Lv. 11 – 17

Stella (Ledyba): Lv. 10 – 17

Kilroy (Poochyena): Lv. 10 – 14

Quo (Baltoy): Lv. 17 – 20

King (Umbreon): Lv. 10 – 20

...ALL OF MY RAGE. FFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

Okay, so here’s the deal. I failed pretty badly, but I don’t want to give up. It fits within my rules to go ahead and pick one of the Pokémon from within Cipher’s lab (the RNG very gracefully gave me the Shroomish), but I’m wondering if the full party wipe-out justifies also using a Pokémon from outside the lab, from the area where I picked up the Baltoy. Without at least two Pokémon in my party, I don’t think I’m going any further. The RNG granted me the Gulpin, and I’m thinking I’m going to train these two like there’s no tomorrow and try again. Or, I could go for it with only the Shroomish. I could just try again from the very beginning and try to avoid making the same stupid mistakes, or I could just admit failure and give up. What says you?

EDIT: WHOOPS FORGOT TO INCLUDE CATCHING THE SHADOW SHROOMISH IN THE ACTUAL NARRATION. HAHA I SUCK. WELL, THAT HAPPENED, JUST SO YOU ALL KNOW.

--

July 15, 2011 at 10:15 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

honestly, Tammy, and i really hope this doesn't come across as sounding unsupportive, but i just don't think this is going to work out for you. XD is simply not built to be Nuzlocked (or rather, Nuzlocke is simply not built for XD).

definitely don't continue from there. if you want to keep going, i say start over because you kind of got haxed and maybe you can hope for some better luck on another go. and once you get access to Mt. Battle, you can start grinding and actually DO something to better your situation, whereas where you were, there was no safe way to level up.

another alternative if you really wanna do XD is to just not include the "dying" rule. keep randomly picking your Pokemon through the RNG method, and maybe even institute a rule that forbids you from reviving Pokemon like within a dungeon or something. but as the rules are now, i don't think anyone can expect any different results than what you just got.

overall though, it was a really neat idea and i'm especially glad you embraced my RNG idea as part of it, but i really do think your time is better spent on A New Path or Scipio's Story. of course, i'll read and probably love anything you post, so you still have my support if you do choose to continue.

--

The destructor has gone

July 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Tamoria

Yeah, I think I'm just going to restart this one. And after this, I'm thinking traditional Nuzlocke rules aren't going to go very well. I'm going to keep the RNG rule (and include a couple of minor things, like I have to skip the Poochyena, Ledyba, Baltoy, and Carvanha), but I think I'm going to tone down the rules on things dying. Maybe like I'm allowed to use revives that I find, and otherwise no using Pokemon that faint? I've seen that rule around a couple of times, and I think it will make this doable.

Speaking of Scipio's Story, though, I'm kind of debating dropping that. I hate to say that, as I hate dropping things, but I've already transferred his team to Diamond so most of the ending team is already known. Either that, or I might just hit a few of the more important parts and skip through almost the entire run (in which case, the entire rest of the story would consist of about 10 more chapters). I dunno, but I do have the third chapter almost done, so I'll finish it at some point and see how I feel afterwards.

--

July 15, 2011 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

using Revives is a good idea, though i'm not sure how much it'll help... you likely won't find many at the beginning, where it's most vital. something else to consider might be nothing dies, but you can't use items and if you ever "white out," it's game over. but i'd kind of like to see how your idea goes too.

yeah, i understand about Scipio... if you do drop it though, you have to tell me what happened in the run at least, because i wanna know ^.^

--

The destructor has gone

July 15, 2011 at 6:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

180 views - 0 comments
175 views - 1 comment
237 views - 4 comments
200 views - 0 comments