Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Pokemon > aPokelypse Now!

Mitsuo-Dexl

The reference to Presea makes you a member of the Akai Pens, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

--

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like bananas."

February 25, 2011 at 3:39 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

B "Diddy" M at February 25, 2011 at 2:09 AM

Uhhhhh.... not to blow my own horn here but..

Adding Diddy to anything makes it better. There's a reason people want to wake up in the morning feeling like me.

OT: Another amazing update. I hate to just repeat what I say everytime but I truly think the writing is getting better and better. I love all the unexpected additions such as Vi's character. Speaking of her, she's totally a closet badass. She's got my vote for favorite character right now. She reminds me of a little non-child form locked Presea.. *tear*

very astute comparison, Diddy, Presea was actually the inspiration for Vi's character. then i decided Hideki had enough emotionlessness for the whole party (although he is getting better about that) so i decided to give her back a little of her childhood innocence, while still keeping some of the inexplicable maturity.

--

The destructor has gone

February 25, 2011 at 4:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Oh cool. Well, Presea is always a good person to refer people to! I would name my first born girl Presea is possible. I understand you not wanting to load down the party with emotionless people. Good move.

--

February 27, 2011 at 3:42 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

A very good move. Too little emotion and then the party becomes just as lively as the Zombies outside. Unless this is Dawn of the Dead (The Re-vamped one)

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

February 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Cecil-Jacobs at February 27, 2011 at 3:54 PM

A very good move. Too little emotion and then the party becomes just as lively as the Zombies outside. Unless this is Dawn of the Dead (The Re-vamped one)

you mean this one?

--

The destructor has gone

February 27, 2011 at 6:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I lulzed....

In my pants.

--

Ask me about my waifus

February 27, 2011 at 7:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Antwan I hereby ban you for posting on this thread unless it is a new chapter.

Oh, and I lol'd hard.

--

February 27, 2011 at 11:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Chapter 13

Before even opening his eyes, Hideki was greeted by a sharp, throbbing pain from the back of his head.

"Jackdammit..."

The utterance of his signature swear instantly caught Harmony's attention. She quickly rushed over to his side.

"Hideki, are you alright?"

Finally opening his eyes and seeing the concerned look on Harmony's face, he attempted a weak smile to ease her discomfort. "Yeah... other than I feel like I got hit by a truck..."

"Well, you're almost right," Xerxes said. "Or wait, did you say 'truck' or 'trunk?'"

Hideki turned his head slightly until he could see the base of the tree he had collided into, then, using his middle finger, he expressed his opinion regarding Xerxes' pun.

"Yeah, he's fine, Harmony..." Xerxes said.

"Hideki, really..." she said, still obviously worried, "can you move everything? Are you sure you're alright?"

"Yeah Harm, I feel okay," he said as he attempted to stand. He fell almost instantly, and a nice catch by Harmony was the only thing preventing a second collision with the tree he'd made the acquaintance of earlier.

"Please take it easy!" Harmony half-requested, half-commanded. "You don't need to be exerting yourself right now."

"Yeah but... wherever we are, we gotta get a move on soon, right?"

For the first time, Hideki began to take in his surroundings. As far as places to crash-land in the middle of a zombie outbreak went, this one wasn't half bad. They were in a heavily forested area, but were also surrounded on three sides by a cliff wall. Myon the Mismagius stood guard on their one exposed side.

"We'll be fine for now. Just rest for awhile."

"Oh God, Harmony, what happened there?" Hideki said, indicating a large scratch on her right leg. The wound had been mostly bandaged up, but was still painfully obvious. "Painfully" being the operative word.

"You guys got the worst of the explosion being directly under it... but we all had rough landings, too."

These words struck a chord in Hideki's mind; a horde of questions came flooding to him.

"Wait, where's Vi? Is she alright? What happened to Big Bird, and Success? And... aw man, Harm, Birdo... she's pretty low level, is she-"

The instant and drastic change in Harmony's facial expression led Hideki to immediately regret posing his questions.

"I'll... start with the most important first... Vi is okay, we think. She hasn't regained full consciousness yet but she's been responsive. Looks like she hit her head too. Big Bird, well... hold on a sec..." Harmony stood up and walked a few steps to a place behind Hideki's tree.

Big Bird the Fearow followed her upon her return. Considering the fall they'd taken, and that Big Bird had taken the worst of it, Hideki was shocked to find his Pokemon alive. It was obviously badly hurt; its right eye was swollen shut and sealed with a layer of dried blood. Its torso was entirely bandaged up, its wings tied down underneath the wrappings. Its beak also appeared to be somewhat crooked.

"He's okay, but both of his wings are badly broken," Harmony explained. "We used items to heal him up but no item is gonna fix that..."

"A healing machine like at a Pokemon Center should take care of him," Xerxes explained. He, too, had suddenly reappeared. He held a bottle of water and two white pills, all of which he offered to Hideki. "This'll help the pain... don't... ask where I got em..."

This last line somewhat concerned Hideki, but desperate to be freed of his headache, he quickly downed the pills.

"Is there a Center nearby?" Hideki asked.

Harmony and Xerxes exchanged looks. "To be honest, we have no clue where we are," Harmony said.

"Our best guess is somewhere around Vermillion," Xerxes said, "but as for how far away we are..."

The gravity of the situation finally hit Hideki. "We're gonna have to walk now, aren't we? The skies obviously aren't safe."

"Even if they were, we... can't really fly anymore..." Xerxes said.

"What do you mean?" Hideki asked. "I know Big Bird is down but we have backups, right? Your 'Nite?"

"I still have Flandre, yes... but Remilia..." Xerxes' glance shifted over toward a particularly sharp, blood-stained rock a few paces away from where they gathered.

"Ah, hell..."

"I'm... lucky that wasn't me. I hit the ground just behind that rock. But Remilia..."

"And..." Harmony interjected, "Birdo's hurt badly too. Her injuries are more internal but like Big Bird, if we can't get her to a healing machine soon..."

"That leaves us with Flandre as our only flier left," Xerxes noted. "We cant all four fly."

"Wait a minute, you're forgetting Success, I can-" Hideki froze as he realized he didn't remember ever calling back his Zapdos. "Guys, did he come-"

Xerxes shook his head as Harmony hung hers in sadness. Hideki fumbled around until finally retrieving Success' Ultra Ball from his belt; empty. There was only one explanation for his disappearance: he had been overwhelmed, and turned.

Harmony leaned forward and placed her hand over Hideki's. "I'm sorry for your loss, Hideki... again."

He, in turn, laid his other hand on hers. "Thanks, Harmony... I... don't know which is worse: losing him or knowing there's a zombie Zapdos on the loose now."

Of course, he really did know which was worse. Success was so named because his capture was one of the defining moments in Hideki's first adventure. Very seldom was he used in battle; in fact, Hideki never once used him until his rise to Champion, so his bond to Success wasn't quite what it was with the others. Still, this one hurt. It was a moral blow.

The three trainers talked for a few minutes as Hideki continued to regain his senses. He could stand now, and even ate a light lunch consisting of a baggie of trail mix.

The pills Xerxes had given Hideki were beginning to take effect. He felt lighter, happier in a sense, and the pain from his head was almost unnoticeable now. It was some sort of narcotic, Hideki could tell. He again began to question Xerxes' possession of such a substance.

"I jacked 'em from the Department Store pharmacy... I thought they might come in handy. I was right, wasn't I?"

"Hell yes you were," Hideki said as he embraced Xerxes in what turned out to be a long and uncomfortable hug.

"Um..." said a confused Vi. She was now standing before them, a perplexed and slightly dazed look on her face.

"Vi! You're awake!" Hideki said, as he let go of Xerxes and bent down to hug Vi now.

"Were you guys... really that worried about me?" she asked, strained. Hideki was pressing hard on her small diaphragm.

"We knew you'd be fine..." Xerxes said, "he's just a little... stoned... right now..."

Vi tilted her head in a way that indicated that she had more questions than she could possibly express at once.

"He hit his head pretty hard... I gave him a painkiller... two, actually..."

"Hideki, please let go... you're hurting me..."

Vi had a few minor injuries to deal with, but otherwise she was in good shape. She hadn't taken a blow to the head like Hideki had; she had passed out in shock.

With no way to build a camp at the relatively safe place they were already at, the group collectively decided it was time to leave. And, with no means of determining where they were or even which direction was which, it was agreed that their only option was to pick a direction and walk that way until they encountered a road, a town, or the sea.

After about an hour of walking through the vast forest (annihilating the occasional Rattata or Spearow as they went), the secondary effects of the painkillers Hideki had taken had begun to wear off. It still worked wonders on his aching head, though.

"Why so glum, Hideki?" Harmony asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, you haven't given anyone a hug in, oh... a good fifteen minutes, now."

Hideki shot a scowl back. "I'm NOT high."

"At least he stopped singing Tiny Dancer," Xerxes noted.

"Hey, that's a good song..."

"AH!"

Hideki looked back and noticed that Harmony had collapsed on the ground behind them. She was clutching her injured leg; her bandage was gradually turning redder and redder.

"Shit, thought we tied that up better..." Xerxes said.

"Miss Harmony!?" exclaimed a frightened Vi.

"I-I'm okay..." Harmony said, her voice shaking with pain.

Hideki and Xerxes quickly began re-doctoring the wound.

"How come you didn't tell me it was this bad... this is a deep cut, Harm..."

"I had it sealed before," Xerxes explained, "all this walking must've just been too much for it."

"We have to get you off this leg..."

"Guys, I'll be fine... I'm not gonna slow you down-"

"Don't be stupid, Harmony," Hideki said firmly. "I'll carry you the rest of the way my damn self if I have to."

"I have a better idea, I think..." Xerxes said, pulling a Pokeball off his belt.

March 1, 2011 at 1:25 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

Zombie Zapdos + Zombie Diglett Army = no safe place.

Scary stuff.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

March 1, 2011 at 1:39 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I see a boss fight in the near future....

Epic Update again. I enjoy this story far too much.

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 1, 2011 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

Whether intentional or not, I like the double-meaning of Success having died.

--

March 1, 2011 at 2:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Chapter 14

After a liberal dousing of hydrogen peroxide and a fresh set of wrappings, Hideki and Xerxes finally managed to get Harmony's leg under control. She now rode on the back of Xerxes' Dragonite, Flandre, despite her insistence that she could walk on her own.

"No, Harmony," Hideki said, "you need to stay off that leg."

"What she needs is stitches..." Xerxes added, "although it'd be a miracle if we found a doctor still alive..."

"Is it... really that bad?" Vi asked.

"Guys, please! I'm okay, really..."

"She's going to be fine," Hideki said firmly, almost angrily even. "I won't let her be anything else."

After just a few more minutes of walking, the group finally reached the end of the trees. The landscape changed to a field featuring a well-worn path.

"This has gotta be Route 16..." said Xerxes, "Cycling Road, we're going the right way!"

"There shouldn't be too many wild Pokemon here," Hideki noted, "and the road is elevated enough we should be safe from the water, too. Just watch out for flyers and we should be good til Fuchsia."

They proceeded down the relatively smooth path that was Routes 16 and 17, nicknamed Cycling Road by local Kanto riders due to the fact that it had effectively become the region's premier bike trail. Trainers would gather here to battle Pokemon, though in recent years it was mostly overrun by motorbike gangs with poison-types.

In preparation for any potential aerial attackers, Hideki kept J-Dog by his side. Harmony was of course guarded by Flandre, but as Xerxes had pointed out earlier, his Dragonite's attacks were purely physical, so she released one of her strongest Pokemon, Zaprong the Electabuzz, for protection. Xerxes again went with Myon, as it was his only remaining Pokemon that fought from the non-physical side of the attacking spectrum. Vi, meanwhile, was at a total loss.

"Hm..." Hideki said, examining her team, "None of these guys are really fit to go against flyers..."

"Oh..."

"Just... stay close to me. J-Dog will protect you."

"Okay... Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah, sure."

"How do you like raising a Jolteon?"

"Well... he's super fast, of course. And he uses special attacks really well. That's about it though; he can't do much physically and he's a little frail, so as a trainer you have to be careful to not let him take too many hits."

"Oh, okay..."

"Why, you thinking of what to evolve your Eevee into?"

"Mh-hm."

"Well, you can't go wrong with Jolteon, I can tell you that much. Ultimately though, you need to get what fits the rest of the team. It's also important to know your style. So if you're the kind of trainer who likes to use lots of bulky Pokemon and stall with things like poison... Jolteon's probably not the way to go. Then you'd want to go with Vaporeon or Umbreon, I'd say."

"You sure know a lot about Pokemon, Hideki."

The two kept walking side-by-side in the rear of the group, but neither was sure what to say to the other.

"Hey..." Hideki said, in part to break up the silence, but it was something that had just dawned on him, "That was a brave thing you did, sacrificing your Voltorb like that. I don't know if we could have survived that attack if it weren't for that."

Vi blushed and looked away from Hideki. She said nothing; she didn't know what to say.

Hideki smiled. "You're a shy one, aren't you?"

Vi's face grew redder and Hideki sighed. He'd obviously said the wrong thing.

"It's not a bad thing... You've probably noticed I'm kind of the same way."

"Do you get scared to talk to people too?" the young girl finally asked, still not looking at him.

"I don't get 'scared'... I just... don't like dealing with them. I guess I don't... get them."

"I don't either."

The two walked in silence for a few minutes before Hideki spoke again.

"What was his name?"

"Whose name?"

"Your Voltorb."

"Oh... Voltage."

Hideki reached into his bag and pulled out a pair of earbuds, which he plugged into his phone and handed to Vi.

"When I lose a Pokemon, I like to play it a tribute song. It helps me to remember everything that Pokemon did for me... It helps bring me closure."

Vi let out a small smile as she plugged the buds into her ears. Hideki scrolled through his library until finding an appropriate song: "Candle in the Wind." It seemed fitting, since Voltage's life had been snuffed out so quickly, so randomly, and yet his sacrifice had possibly saved so many lives in the process.

Vi listened for several minutes before speaking.

"This song..." she finally said, "it's really old, isn't it?"

Hideki laughed quietly to himself as he started to take the headphones away from her.

"No, I- I want to finish."

He let her do so, and after another minute or two the song was finished, leaving Vi with a flood of emotions and a conflicted look on her face.

"I know it's hard..." Hideki consoled, "But... Did it help?"

Vi stopped walking. "Can I... have a hug?" As out of character as this request seemed for her, she looked to be on the verge of tears, and it seemed like this request really mattered to her. Hideki too stopped and bent down to embrace the young girl.

"Thank you... and thank you for the song, too." Vi pulled away and smiled. "Now I know why Miss Harmony trusts you so much. You're really sweet when you want to be."

"Hey! Is everything alright?" Xerxes called back, noticing the two had lagged behind.

Hideki looked at Vi, who handed his headphones back to him.

"Come on... I think we're holding them back," she said with a smile before breaking into a sprint towards Xerxes and Harmony.

The path through Cycling Road was totally clear; the party didn't encounter a single wild Pokemon the whole way.

"Well that was pleasant," Hideki noted.

"About as pleasant as things get these days, I'm afraid," added Xerxes. "And look, there's the Fuchsia City gate right there! And a..."

They all froze as the large blob entered their line of vision. A Snorlax lay sleeping directly in front of the building that served as the gate to Fuchsia City.

"Guess they sleep even zombified..." said Xerxes.

The Snorlax was resting, but it wasn't asleep. It let out a mighty roar upon hearing and smelling the fresh meat that had come before him. As the beast rose, a large hole ripped open in its abdomen, causing a large portion of its innards to slide out. Vi instantly vomited upon seeing this grotesque sight.

"What've we got to take on a Snorlax?" Xerxes asked, the tone of concern obvious in his voice.

"We'll just pound him with special attacks," Harmony suggested, "it's all we can-"

Hideki took one step forward and held out his arm, signifying to the rest of the group that they shouldn't follow him.

"Look," he said, calmly, as he pulled a ball from his belt, "the past twenty-four hours, I've seen the man who gave me my very first Pokemon, two members of my championship team, and pretty much every other man, woman, and child in my goddamned home region torn apart by these creatures." Hideki drew the ball to his lips.

"I ain't playin' no more."

At first glance, the Pokeball was solid gold, but on closer inspection it looked like nothing more than a cheap paint job, one that was now several years old. That's exactly what it was; the old fisherman had painted her ball gold to make her seem more worthy of her ¥500 price tag. ¥500. That's what that desperate young trainer paid for the greatest murder machine of his generation.

Hideki threw the ball off the bridge a good ways and into the sea below them; he wanted to be sure the Snorlax was closer to his Gyarados than it was to he and his friends.

"Stay close to the shore, Helena!"

She did just that, swimming in closer to the bridge and the Snorlax, who turned its attention to the now-closer target.

"Helena, use Substitute, then back away a few feet!"

The Gyarados glowed with a red aura, which converged into one spot on the edge of the bridge, forming into what appeared to be a cheap Rhydon Pokedoll. The Snorlax charged after the decoy and began attempting to consume it.

"Nice to know Substitute works on these guys... you know what to do girl, Dance up until the Sub breaks!"

Helena began gyrating her body to a strange rhythm, an ancient dance dragon Pokemon had used for centuries to boost their own power. After a few seconds, the Snorlax had torn its way completely through Helena's substitute.

"Helena, aim for its head! Hyper Beam!"

A ball of brilliant, pure white light began forming in Helena's mouth. The ball grew quickly until it filled the entire cavity, then, with a roar, it shot out in a beam right at the charging Snorlax. She hit its head directly; however, this proved not to be much of a feat as the beam's diameter had spread so wide, when all was said and done the entire upper half of the Snorlax's body had disintegrated into nothingness.

"Helena, stop breathing! Back away from the remains!"

The Gyarados again followed commands to a T, holding her breath and swimming further away from the Snorlax's corpse.

"That's good. Return," Hideki said as he withdrew his prized fighter back into her ball. She hadn't made contact with the beast, nor had she had an opportunity to breathe in any of its air. Hideki decided that if that wasn't enough to save her from contracting the virus, he might as well stop trying to save anyone at all.

March 3, 2011 at 1:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I'm predicting the death of Helena too.

--

March 3, 2011 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I doubt Antwan would do that to her. Not Helena!

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 3, 2011 at 9:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

nothing is off-limits for me. i'm considering every possible fate for all characters and pokemon, no matter how heartbreaking it may be. remember... this is non-canon.

--

The destructor has gone

March 3, 2011 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

NOOOO!! T_T

--

Ask me about my waifus

March 3, 2011 at 10:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

not saying i WILL kill Helena... that would hurt, to be sure. i do have moderately unhealthy feelings for that Gyarados. but i ain't saying i won't either.

--

The destructor has gone

March 3, 2011 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

did everyone like this chapter, though? i personally thought it was one of my best.

--

The destructor has gone

March 3, 2011 at 11:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Captain F. Magic

I really dug it.

Zombie Snorlax was a nice touch, even if he was absolutely obliterated five seconds later.

--

Professional Grumpy Old Man

March 3, 2011 at 11:27 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

It was short, but it was good.  I would have preferred more length...but as they say, too much of a good thing is bad.

--

March 4, 2011 at 8:06 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

180 views - 0 comments
175 views - 1 comment
237 views - 4 comments
200 views - 0 comments