Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Diddy's Sapphire Nuzlocke Run

B "Diddy" M

So in the spirit of Predictable Randomness and the lack of me coming here like a should've been (christmas break is hectic!), I have decided to do my own Nuzlocke run! I figured it would be a cool challenge that everyone here relates to so.. yeah. ANYWAY. I can't tell how many people are actually doing runs or not so if not many people are, I will start a Sapphire Nuzlocke (following Nick's rules). No items, nicknames, one pokemon a route, etc. I have never actually played Sapphire so it should be fun.

p.s. I hate i missed your nuzlocke finale nick. I wanted to see that battle with Red!

January 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

B "Diddy" M at January 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM

So in the spirit of Predictable Randomness and the lack of me coming here like a should've been (christmas break is hectic!), I have decided to do my own Nuzlocke run! I figured it would be a cool challenge that everyone here relates to so.. yeah. ANYWAY. I can't tell how many people are actually doing runs or not so if not many people are, I will start a Sapphire Nuzlocke (following Nick's rules). No items, nicknames, one pokemon a route, etc. I have never actually played Sapphire so it should be fun.

p.s. I hate i missed your nuzlocke finale nick. I wanted to see that battle with Red!

Gay Captain Falcon approves this message.

but yeah, no one but me has updated a run of any sort since christmas, and as you know my run has just finished. so you should have the spotlight all to yourself for this one! i can promise you i'll follow it every step of the way, and i'm sure the others here will too.

no worries on missing my finale, i really should've taken more time to make sure it'd fit into more of my friends' schedules. after all, i've done all of my runs as much for PR as i have for myself.

at any rate, i can't wait til you get started on your Sapphire adventure! i wish you the best of luck.

--

The destructor has gone

January 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Here's my first update!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll put my final save data at the end of mine and give ya'll the play by play since my memory isn't the best.

So I start the game with the normal "This is a pokemon!" rant from the local Professor and make the new male pokemon Trainder Diddy. My very own pokemon adventure began! .... in the back of a moving truck. Then Diddy's mom made me set some clocks and introduce myself to the neighbors. I met May, who seems to be a little too happy that I'm her age and on an adventure, and made my way to the professors' lab. Professor Birch isn't there so I try to leave (flash back to Pokemon Red *tear*) and Birch is about to be eaten alive by a Poochyena. Diddy grabs Treecko and saves the dudes life. We go back to his lab and to show he gratfulness for saving his life he lets me keep Treecko and since he looked like the business type, I named him Tea Co. Not very creative I guess, but w/e.

Now the journey actually begins because the professor sends me to find his daughter May. There's a catch they don't tell you though. YOU GO THROUGH TWO ROUTES WITHOUT POKEBALLS. I missed out on Wurmple on route 101 and Poochyena on route 103; Not significant losses I suppose but I might have developed some deep bond with them. Who knows?! Anyway, I find her and she's apparently very agressive because I've only talked to her twice and she wants to battle. She throws out her Torchic and I Pound it into the ground with Tea Co. We run back I get a Pokedex and all is good.

I finally make it to a route where I can catch something now as per Nuzlocke rules, route 102, and it's a freaking Wurmple. No Lotad. No Ralts. A freaking Wurmple. I welcome the not-Ralts pokemon into my party and nickname him Niles. I go to the Pokemon Center, heal, and go back out to Route 102 to level up Niles. Guess who pops up as the first fight?! A LEVEL 4 RALTS. THE POKEMON I WANTED. F YOU SAPPHIRE. I let Niles tackle it to the ground out of spite and continued my grind. (During the grind I battled 2 more Ralts, 1 Surskit, and 3 Lotad.. the Lotad was the 4th fight). Niles evolved into Cascoon at level 7 which is awesome because that means at level 10 he'll evolve into Dustox. Woot!

Or rather he would have.. On route 4 I was wondering around on the beach and encountered a trainer. Niles took out his Seedot very easily and out came the Taillow. The pecks were withering Niles down so I switched to Tea Co. Taillow got a crit hit that took me from full to 2 hp. 2 HP. Niles only had 14. Taillow was near full hp! Was this the end of my Nuzlocke already?! Niles went out and poison stung him for all he was worth. He poisoned the bird and wittled it's hp down to just a sliver of red.. and then a quick attack finished Niles off. The Taillow used growl about 5 times before hitting so it was a strike of luck but Niles took the blow for Tea Co. in the end. It was very tragic to lose Niles and hurt me. About 30 min of grinding lost but he went out like a trooper for his sweet friend Tea Co.

*I played Hurt by Johnn Cash in his honor*

January 10, 2011 at 2:44 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I'm glad you're looking forward to it nick! I'm pretty pumped and have gotten really far. I will post a big update tomorrow morning. I have a question though! In Granite cave, there is Granite Levels 1 /2 and the basements level 1 and 2. Does Granite Cave count as one area to catch pokemon or is the level and basement area seperate?

January 10, 2011 at 4:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Granite Cave as a whole counts as one area, meaning you can only catch the very first thing you see. this is why i had to use repels during my first trip through Union Cave in Crystal so i could capture lapras there later.

however, it's probably a little late for this now, but i've always believed that Nuzlocke rules don't take effect until you gain the ability to catch pokemon. so when i played Emerald, i got pokemon in 101 and 103, i just went by the first thing i encountered after getting pokeballs.

but both of these rules are my interpretation; going back to Nuzlocke's original comic, there are only two rules that are absolutely needed for every Nuzlocke run (only catch the first thing per area, and it's dead it if faints). everything else is up to the player's own discretion. if you follow these two rules and buy every healing item you can and heal like a douche after every battle, it's still a successful Nuzlocke run. i just made my rules based on what i thought was the best way to go and what would get the most out of the challenge. so feel free to alter the rules however you see fit.

and the thing with the ralts just sucks, man. that would seriously piss me off. it looks like the game is laughing at you already...

--

The destructor has gone

January 10, 2011 at 11:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Ah ok. I may go back sometime.. it would have really helped early on to have those pokemon. You think the game was laughing with Ralts? Wait until you read this.

Last Save: Deford Town

Pokemon:
Tea Co. - Level 22

Overpower - Level 22

Ziggs - Level 13

Wobble - Level 7

LOST- Niles

To continue the adventure, Tea Co. and Diddy headed off (now alone after the sacrifice of Niles) to the Petalburg Woods. I avoided the grass on route 104 because I wanted to get a Magikarp from there later on. So far the only things about Sapphie I've learned are Sapphire is out to get me, Magikarp are still fisherman's pokemon of choice (aka they can be fished up), and Team Aqua are posers. Inside of Petalburg Woods, the first pokemon I run into is a Zigzagoon. Normally, I never pick up a normal type pokemon but he was the only pokemon I could catch for the entire zone and I only had one pokemon without him. He instantly made himself useful with his Pick Up ability by not only getting 2 ultra balls BEFORE we left the forest, but also finding a rare candy just as we were going to pick up Rozanne's Gym badge but i digress. We beat the crazy Aqua grunt with the help of Tea Co.'s Absorb (which is priceless in a Nuzlocke run), go a great ball and went on our way. Roxanne was no challeneg at all.

The first thing I did when I made it to Rustboro City (again avoiding all pokemon on route 104 (north)) was ask around to figure out what type pokemon she had. I felt like a little kid again going through pewter town.. especially when one chick said, "My FIRE-type pokemon don't do much against her ROCK-type pokemon." Reminded me of using Charmeleon to take down Brock's Onix on my first playthrough ever of Pokemon Red... ah memories. This time I had a Grass type with a so-so grass move against a bunch of Geodudes. I blew through the trainers for extra hp and go to the boss with no trouble.

ROXANNE:
She leads with he level 14 Geodude. I lead with my level 16 Tea Co. (who had evolved into Grovyle). Absorb hits and takes the Geodude to yellow and Roxy uses Tackle but misses. Next turn, Absorb KOs. Then Roxy throws out her level 15 Nosepass. Platinum had made me slightly terrified of the Nosepass evolutionary line but then I remember this is the ancient version of Sapphire.. you know, before AncientPower and such so Tea Co. Absorbed his guts out while Nosepass missed with every Stone Edge he tried to do. Victory / First badge for Diddy!! WOOT! I gotta say, I wish I had picked Torchic for nostalgia sake but Tea Co was proving to be a great partner. Actually, when I first got ruby for christmas years and years ago, it was the first time I had EVER picked a type other than the resident fire type before beating the game at least once. Treecko has his own nostalgia I suppose..

The Devon corp guy apparently has zero security because the Aqua grunt makes off with some important papers of his. Now, it may just be spite out of protecting the world from Team (blank) since I was 6, but this was getting annoying. I was thinking "He only has one pokemon and it's a Poochyena that Howl spams for 3 turns.. Do you not have any pokemon at all? Not even a Wurmple??" Despite my negativity I go to Route 116 and Rusturf Tunnel. This is where the game suddenly comes back to memory. No, not the whole game, just that god forsaken cave where only Whismur spawns. I wasn't sure if Whismur evolved into Loudred / Exploud in this generation so I didn't even want to catch one of them. But sure enough, the very first encounter of Route 116 was a level 7 Whismur. I was so upset.. A cave full of them and I just lost Route 116 forever. I caught it just so I could finally have 3 Pokemon and went on my way.. Saved a dude's Wingull, got the papers and took a boat to Dewford Town. After talking to all the residents and finding out that Brawly was a Fighting-type gym leader, I wasn't sure what to do. In order to use flash in granite cave I needed to beat him but Tea Co. was the only pokemon that could safely fight considering my other two pokemon where Normal-types. After a lot of deliberation, I went to the Gym.

DEWFORD GYM:
A pretty easy gym minus the actual leader battle. Tea Co. knew Pursuit so Meditites were easy to 1HKO. It also helped that he was level 20 and fighting level 14 pokemon. I decided I'd give Ziggs some xp and did the switch out technique to level him up a bit. Then I got to Brawly...

BRAWLY:
Brawly started with his Level 17 Machop and I had made the mistake of not switcing Ziggs and Tea Co. so Ziggs came out first. My first move was to switch to Tea Co. and have him take a Karate Chop, which he did. Two Absorbs later, Machop was down and Tea Co. was at full. Then, Brawly used his level 18 Makuhita. Tea Co.'s first Absorb hit for about 1/3 of the Makuhita's hp and the Makuhita used Bulk up. That rotation happened one more time and Brawly used a super potion on his 3rd turn. No I was facing a full hp Makuhita with 2 bulk ups. On the 4th turn he began using arm thrust. If his arm thrust hit Tea Co. Three times he was at 1/3, 4 was 1/2, and 5 was almost red (Tea Co. Hp wise). So I had to stall with aborbs and hope to god I could out heal it. Then can a choice that was very difficult to make. Makuhita had been super potioned twice which seems to be the gym leader standard so he wasn't healing anymore. Makuhita was in the yellow and Tea Co. was in the red. Switching out wouldn't do anything because he was arm thrust spamming so Tea Co. had to make a move. I was 3 levels ahead but knew Quick Attack and Pursuit wouldn't do much but Absorb wouldn't 1HKO. I was stuck between using aborb and quick attack. Absorb was the obvious choice so I went with that and brought him down to a SLIVER of hp. I mean, this must've been 1 hp. This is like when you're trying to catch a legendary and get a crit hit and he's brought down to red. You think you kill him but he's still there for some reason. You can't even see the color of the hp bar but there he is. I was terrified. Ziggs was faster and could certainly KO the Makuhita but I would lose Tea Co. Right before the stress overwhelmed me, Arm Thrust only hit twice. Tea Co. has 4 hp left. He was going to get to do one more move! I was overjoyed as I KO'd Brawly and felt my first *real* gym leader battle come to a close.

Here's where the story turns into a big F YOU from Sapphire. I went to Granite Cave and used a Repel and still (forgetting to change as I normally do) had Ziggs at the front of the party. I got to the last basement floor and a battle started. I was thinking "I swear to god if this is a level 12 Zubat I'm going to kill someone" but it was a Sableye! A Dark-Ghost Pokemon was PERFECT for me right now. Considering I had a normal / grass team comp. a Ghost type of any form was welcome. I threw one of my ultra balls and went one thrilled to have a strong pokemon in my party again (Sorry Niles...!). I nicknamed him Overpower because he's going to be my heavy hitting Physical Wall. I know you're thinking "That's pretty awesome.. Why are you upset Brian?" Well I'll tell you. My computer started freaking out while my younger bro was playing Left 4 Dead 2 (I recently got Steam to work again on my cpu, yay) and so I went over to fix it. I asked him to get me out of the cave and to the pokemon center while I did this. So I'm sitting there fixing my computer and he yells, "I CAUGHT AN ABRA!" I was thinking, "OMG AWESOME!!!!! I'M GOING TO BE SAFE NOW!" until I realized he must've caught it in Granite Cave. I had a moment where I literally wanted to Cry. My little bro caught me an Abra, an impressive feat for one regular pokeball thrown just for kicks, and I couldn't use it. I asked him to put it in my PC so I wouldn't be tempted to break the rules. I went over to the PC after I fixed my computer and guess what.. A GENTLE NATURED ABRA WITH A TWISTEDSPOON. I kid you not. I have NEVER found a twisted spoon or an Abra with a decent Nature and here my bro caught an Abra with an amazing Special Wall nature and a Twistedspoon. So not only would he be an amazing Special Wall, he'd be a Special Sweeper. I wanted to quit right there, take that Abra out and put him in party right away. Spencer had even nicknamed the Abra "Finale" because according to him, he "finally caught an Abra but finally is a bad nickname." I leveled up Sableye to match Tea Co.'s level and brought Ziggs up one level before calling it a night..

I leave with these words Sapphire: You wanna screw me over? You want to taunt me at every turn? Well, you're about to be trashed hardcore by Diddy's Pokemon. You'll be begging for me to stop after my pokemon rape and pillage everything you have. The games on, bitch.

January 10, 2011 at 2:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

that hurts. not only was it an abra, but a PERFECT abra. but hey, that sableye is gonna be HUGE for you. no weaknesses, good defenses, not much in the way of a movepool but that's what TMs are for.

that's exactly what happened to me on route 116, so i feel your pain -.- but i do recommend getting two whismurs anyway, you can use one (or both, hell) as death fodder.

hm, maybe i went about Emerald wrong... i started with torchic but absorb does sound really handy. epic battle against brawly btw. i hate him; he really is too strong for that point in the game.

as for going back to routes 101 and 103, the only thing really useful you can get there is zigzagoon, who i see you already got. so unless you need some fodder, it's not worth it.

--

The destructor has gone

January 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I read the Nuzlocke comics today because I felt like I should know some background of the challenge and.. that was some of the funniest stuff I have ever read. I laughed so hard for so long!

Yeah. Sableye is definitely a plus for me. He may not get much game time if I find something better later but it's very comforting to have a solid companion other than Tea Co. I'm actually going to level one Whismur in the hopes of getting Loudred / Exploud I think. After reading the Nuzlocke comics I realized Whismur does evolve so he actually has quite a bit of potential.

Absorb really is amazing. I've never really appreciated it this much until now. I'm doing a complete no item run hopefully so drain effects will be great. Brawly really is OP for his 2nd gym placement. I don't remember a gym setting up moves like Bulk Up until at least the 4th gym. I'll probably skip going back and keep going forward. I don't really need fodder right now.

January 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

exploud is quite versatile; no real stat deficiencies in any area, as a normal-type he's only weak to fighting, and he can learn pretty much whatever TMs you may want to teach him, and has high enough atk and sp.atk to use them well. the drawback is he's a pain in the ass to get to a loudred, much less a lv.40 exploud.

BESs

just a quick brotip... seriously overpower yourself for wattson. level up until you think you're ready, and then go 5 levels higher. he's pretty OP'd too... fortunately, after him, the gym leaders get pretty easy. the thing about this generation is it screws you early... if you can get past the hard stuff at the beginning, it's not so hard to succeed later on.

gahhh this is making me want to try Emerald again now... after you get close to completion, i think i'll see if Hideki can't redeem himself.

--

The destructor has gone

January 10, 2011 at 7:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Short, condensed update since I just beat Wattson.

Save at end of the post.

On Route 110 I went into the grass for some leveling with the hopes I would find a really good pokemon. The Pokemon that appeared first was Gulpin. It was a random Poison type I had never really heard of. I caught it, since it was my only option for the area, nicknamed him Felix and began to raise him. He had an incredible move set (sludge at level 14 was surprising) and was quickly becoming a great addition to my party. I beat all the trainers in the area and he hit 26 and evolved into Swalot. I leveled up Tea Co., Wobble, and Overpower as well so I went to fight Wattson with the following party:
Tea Co. - Level 23

Wobble - Level 23

Overpower - Level 26

Felix - Level 26

WATTSON:

Wattson led with his level 22 Magnemite. I started with Overpower hoping for a quick Night Shade 2HKO. The Magnemite got of a Thunder Wave and Thundershock but Overpower was still in the green. Then came his Voltorb. I feared for the Self-Destruct so I switched to Felix who would have the best chances of KO'ing the voltorb and surviving the SD. Felix used Sludge (brought him down to red) and the Voltorb Self Destructed but didn't do much damage. I was thrilled to have survived both his starters with 4 pokes in the green and 1 paralyzed. Then came the level 23 Magneton.

MAGNETON:

Yes. Genderless gets a section to himself. I switched to Tea Co. knowing Grass could absorb a lot of his Shock Wave and my plan was to Flash him until he could barely hit and then switch back to Felix. T went first and got the flash off. Resulting in a Twave miss. T tried to flash one more time and Magneton hit with Twave. I continued to attempt to Flash but kept missing and he was missing as well. I went to the back up of Quick Attack since Aborb / Pursuit wouldn't do anything and I needed to strike first. I brought him to yellow and he hit with a Sonic Boom that brough T down to 8 hp. I switched to Overpower to take the following Sonicboom (immune) and hopefully Night Shade. Only he didn't use Sonic Boom.. He switched to Shock Wave which did about 30 damage bringing Overpower to 11 hp. I had to make the choice of switching to Wobble or Felix to protect Overpower. Wobble's normal move set wouldn't do much but Felix's main attack (Sludge) can't hit Magneton. I went with Felix decided I could put him to sleep with Yawn, put up Amnesia and Body Slam my way through the tough parts. Magneton went first and hit with Twave, paralyzing Felix but I got Yawn up. On the next turn he used a Shock Wave to bring me to Yellow and I started using Amnesia like crazy since he was full health. After the stacks of Amnesia, Magneton woke up and used shock wave which did like 5 damage and Felix had about 46 hp left. Body Slam took about 1/4 of his hp so I could definitely win a slow, stall match here. However, apparently in this generation Sonicboom is not considered a Special move.. Felix brought the Magneton to yellow and Shock Wave brought Felix to 26 hp (enough to survive a potential Shock Wave crit even) so I went for Yawn knowing if I had a few more turns, Body slam would finish it.. only this time, Watty healed Magneton and on the next turn the Magneton used Sonicboom which took out the rest of Felix's health. I was devastated. Felix had been such a cool pokemon and yet another pokemon to lose right after getting him. I had grown a bond with this dude.. I would have NEVER chosen this pokemon on a normal run through. I would've had Grovyle, Wingull, Makuhita, Kadabra, Aron, and Zizagoon as a HM whore (so far).. I felt a bond with Felix. I kinda felt the same with Wobble but Wobble evolves into Exploud which is a very common pokemon. You never hear about Swalot.. and no he was out. I was PISSED. Not only would I have a much lower chance of beating the gym but I had to let go of Felix. I switched to Wobble and watched Magneton fall asleep. It was Felix's last gift. He sacrificed himself to put the beast asleep to allow Wobble to have a chance. Wobble began using Howl to boost his AP. I knew my only shot (considering the normal move set) was an Attack boosted Uproar and go for it all. Wobble got 3 howls and on the 4th turn I didn't want to risk Magneton waking up and Twaving so Wobble used Uproar.. Uproar took 1/3 the first turn and woke Magenton up. The next turn Magenton MISSED with Twave and uproar brought him down to 1/3 of his max hp. One more turn and that Magneton was done. He went for Shock Wave, brought Wobble from Max hp to 14 hp and Wobble finished it with Uproar. I am so glad I'm done with this gym. I wish I had logged on here and saw your word of warning Nick. Wattson was too intense. I lost Felix and am short and great party member again. In my leveling I lost Route 110 as well because the first poke I saw was Zigzagoon. Not only could no one fill Felix's spot in my head, but I literally could not fill the spot. So here's my save as of now..

MAUVILLE CITY:
3 Badges

Pokemon:

Tea Co. - Level 23

Wobble - Level 23

Overpower - Level 26

Ziggs - Level 13

Lost: Niles and Felix.

I played the Golden Sun theme in Felix's honor since that is where I got his name.

January 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

damn... that was intense, no doubt. you've already bested me though... that magneton destroyed my entire run. i had no idea swalot could be so kickass either! i always kind of hated him... i mean, a stomach pokemon? who wants that??

sonicboom always does 20 damage. it's like a powered-down dragon rage, but at this stage of the game, 20 damage a turn is ridonk unfair especially in a nuzlocke run. i freakin hate this entire gym.

and just by the way... Overpower would've been immune to selfdestruct too, since it's a normal-type move. that's another advantage of having a ghost in a nuzlocke run... totally eliminates the chances of losing a poke to such faggotry and selfdestruct or spammy, OP'd normal-type moves like sonicboom. without a good ground-type up to this point though, really not much you can do about all the t-waves and shock waves =/

i must say you did an excellent job improvising and working your way out of this mess without losing more than just Felix. this shit's gettin' real!

--

The destructor has gone

January 10, 2011 at 11:24 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

wow, i think this is my favorite run so far (no offense to anybody, its just so intense.) RIP Niles & Felix.

--
January 11, 2011 at 3:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Oops. I just re-read my post about the Magneton battle.. Felix was down to 15 hp on the Sonicboom part, not 26. I haven't seen Sonicboom since older games. I thought it was just a base 40/60 normal type move. I have always had a Rock type to storm through the lightning gyms. I am actually learning a lot more with this run.. It's more fun in a way and I'm paying more attention to each trainer / gym individually.

I didn't switch to Overpower for the SD immunity because in the gym, all the trainers had Voltorbs that would used Charge and then Spark. Overpower was Paralyzed and I knew he couldn't take a boosted Spark without a 1HKO. I had to assume the voltorb knew Charge, Spark, SD, and Sonicboom and go for Felix. He did great though.

I'm glad the two of you are enjoying this run! It really is intense.. Especially going into any battle knowing I could suffer a random crit and lose any of my pokemon. I did a small amount of leveling while I looked around for the next place to go (I'll admit, I'm lost with no idea where to go so I just started walking around). I eventually found Team Aqua pick up a meteorite with Team Magma close behind. On the bright side of things, I caught a Numel and Lombre on Route 112/113 respectively (if I'm remembering correctly.. probably need to go check the map). Overpower, Tea Co., and Wobble are level 30 and Sulfur (Numel) and Toad (Lombre.. it remind me of Toad for some reason) are level 16. Ziggs is still level 13 but his pickup ability and HM openess is amazing. I'll continue tonight and post an update tonight or tomorrow.

January 11, 2011 at 10:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

Update!

(Save at end)

I leveled up Sulfur on Route 112, caught a Spinda (named Towelie) on route 113 (Lombre aka Toad was caught on 114), and stopped Team Magma from messing with the volcano. I put Toad in the PC along with Towelie and then I went to the Fire Gym!

The Fire gym was much less stressful than the other gyms. Sulfur knew Magnitude and Dig so the fire types were getting 1HKO'ed all over the place. Sulfur hit 27 before the Gym battle with Flannery.

Team before Flannery:
Tea Co. - Level 32

Wobble - Level 30

Overpower - Level 30

Sulfur - Level 27

Ziggs - Level 13

FLANNERY:
She started with her level 26 Slugma and I sent Sulfur out. Sulfur got Mag. 8 and 1HKO'd the Slugma. She sent out another level 26 Slugma and Sulfur got a Mag 6 crit that finished her 2nd Slugma off. Flannery sent out her last Pokemon, level 28 Torkoal, and went bat shit crazy. Torkoal Body Slammed Sulfur taking him from full hp to 24 (in the yellow) and paralyzed. Sulfur got Mag. 4 and took about 1/8 of his health. At this point I switched to Overpower knowing Flannery would make her Tor. Body Slam one more time and I'd get a free switch. I switched and she did as predicted. On my next turn, Overpower used Night Shade which brought Tork to yellow and she used Overheat which knocked OP down to yellow, at the cost of SP. AP. I was not going to lose anyone else to a freaking gym leader so I switched to Wobble. Wobble took an overheat but it only did 1/3 of his max hp. On the next turn, Wobble used Strength, brought him to yellow, and tork missed with Overheat. Wobble used Stomp the next turn which made Tork flinch and on the final turn, Wobble crit with Strength. Overall it was a huge relief to win a gym battle without panicing or losing someone. 4th badge, woo!

Right after that I had to go to the 5th gym. I had already battled every trainer I could so the only option was to continue the adventure or level off of level 15 pokemon in the wild. I went to fight the dude and leveled a bit from battling all of his trainers.

Team Before Norman:
Tea Co - Level 32

Wobble - Level 31

Overpower - Level 31

Sulfur - Level 28

Ziggs - Level 13

Towelie - Level 15

NORMAN:
Norman leads with his level 28 Slaking. My only option for this battle was Overpower  (I taught him Toxic in attempt to Toxic stall the battle since he is immune to Normal moves). The Slaking was faster and used Yawn (which I thought was a normal move but w/e) and I hit with Toxic. On turn two Slaking slacked and OP hit with Faint Attack / fell asleep. I kept him in thinking nothing of the sleep and Slaking kept trying to use Yawn although I was asleep. This went on for awhile (because Norman used a Hyper Potion) but Slaking went down w/o damaging OP. Normal sent out his level 30 Vigoroth as his next pokemon. Let me tell you.. that dude was a bitch. I only beat him from doing something I personally consider to be kinda cheap. Vigo used Faint Attack and took 1/4 of OP's hp and I got a Toxic. Here's where my strat came in:

Vigo would use Faint Attack as long as OP was out because nothing else would hit him. Faint Attack is just a Dark version of Aierial Ace so it wouldn't do much damage to anything with a good enough defense.. AKA Wobble. So I switched to Wobble and he took a Faint Attack doing about 1/6 of his hp. I didn't know what other attacks this Vigo knew but I had a good feeling they were normal so I switched to OP. As I guessed, Vigo used the normal move Facade and took another turn of Toxic damage. I keep this switch going [ Vigo uses Facade on OP-immune-, Switch to Wobble to take a light hit from Faint attack, back to OP for Facade immune-]. Yes. I stalled Vigo using switches.

Vigo went down and out came the level 31 Slaking. I felt secure about this since I had been doing the Toxic stall for awhile. Only this time, Slaking slacked the first turn.. this screwed my plan over. Why you may ask? Toxic hit and on the next turn Slaking used Encore. Now OP was stuck in a Toxic Encore but I knew he had the next turn off so it'd be safe to do a switch back and forth like I had. But here's how it went down. I switched to Tea Co. for the slack period and back to OP expecting the obvious Facade but he used Faint Attack... and it crit. OP was down to 2 hp. I had to switch to someone that could take the potential Facade but I had lost that option with Wobble being had about 2/3 of his max hp. No one else could take a fully powered Facade and survive. I switched to Tea Co. hoping I could get a quick attack that would either bump him to heal with the last hyper potion or kill him (Toxic was damaging of course). I used Quick attack and brought him to yellow and he MISSED with Facade. I was so happy. I had a free turn! woot! Right? NO. Toxic brought Slak to the last 1/10 of his hp which meant the hyper potion was coming. The hyper pot was used on the slack turn too so he was about to attack. I had to do something urgent but I was stuck. I switched to OP who took the Facade and switched back to Tea Co. on the slack turn. I had a very good feeling he'd Facade again but I didn't want to risk OP because I already saw the Faint Attack crit on a "obvious" switch. I kept Tea Co. in and guess what.. Tea Co survived the FAINT ATTACK. For some reason that I do not know how to justify, he used Faint Attack. I wasn't sure if Facade had run out of PP or if the game somehow *knew* my plan but Tea Co. was alive and Toxic was to the point where it was taking 1/3 a turn. I quick attacked a beat Norman without losing anyone. (TWO GYM STREAK!) 5th badge sealed!

Now comes for a more challenging issue. I just got Surf but have no way to get a decent Pokemon added to the party of be at an area with decent xp for leveling Pokemon. I literally have Tea Co., Overpower, Wobble, and Sulfur (and maybe Kyogre) as my Pokemon for the rest of the game. I could level Toad but it'd take hours to hit 30.. a long time to dedicate when he may be replaced. It'll be touch depending on the next few gyms but one thing I know for sure through all of this: I will NEVER underestimate Whismur or any of it's Evolutionary line again. And on that topic, I will never instantly form an opinion of a pokemon either. It's kinda thrilling in a way to triumph through a gym without knowing you'll 1HKO everything inside.

January 12, 2011 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

EPIC. that norman battle had me at the edge of my seat.

that's a lie, because i'm sitting on a bed, but the sentiment holds true.

as for your surf problem, you can still get a gyara easy. surely there's got to be a patch of water you haven't touched yet, just use the old rod, fish up a karp, then leave him in the daycare and ride around on your bike until he hits 19. then just grind the last level up and you have a biting, surfing gyarados right there. you should be able to get the daycare levelups within an hour, and gyara is GREAT in nuzlocke runs. intimidate can cripple your opponents' physical attackers (you can switch in multiple times to stack intimidates and make their physical attacks virtually useless), it's incredibly specially bulky, and although surf won't do much damage because of gyara's low sp.atk, it still gets stuff like dragon rage, thrash, and hypah beam that makes it an invaluable member of the team. plus, dragon rage is great for guaranteeing you won't get a gay crit on a wild poke you're trying to catch.

--

The destructor has gone

January 12, 2011 at 11:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

wow. just...wow.

I always found Norman's pokes to be a bitch, too. You handled it quite well though. Kudos!

--
January 13, 2011 at 4:05 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

Very very nice Diddy! I just got back and read all your exploits in one go and it has proved to be an amazing piece of work. 

I must say I agree with your statement about never underestimating a pokemon again. nuzlocke breathes so much life into Pokes I would have never guessed were useful and I am glad you are seeing that too. 

Love it, keep it coming.

--

Ask me about my waifus

"I'm happy to report that my inner child is still ageless". James Broughton

January 13, 2011 at 4:03 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

I'm really glad everyone's enjoying this run!

@ Nick- I was actually considering that but wasn't sure about the Daycares position in Nuzlocke. Luckily, I won't need a Gyra.. I'll tell about that soon! I do wish I had Dragon Rage though.. that'd be a nice catching move like you said.

@Ash- Thanks! I'm glad someone else understands!! His pokemon are really overpowered unless you have a Fighting Pokemon that can 1HKO before they attack.

@CJ- I'm glad you're enjoying it and feeling the sentiment towards not discriminating pokemon. In all honesty, the random ones I've caught and trained have pushed my party further than any of the other ones (RIP Felix and thank you Wobble!)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ADVENTURE TIME!

After Norman's gym, I taught Ziggs surf and headed to Fortree City for the 6th badge. I was very careful with repels (Ziggs is a beast with pickup, I've gotten a Rare Candy, Ultra Ball, or Repel on every pickup) and made my way up to the Weather Institute, beat Team Aqua and got Castform. I put him in el PC and began looking any hidden trainers that might give xp. Luckily, Overpower was leading my party (still at level 32) and a level 32 Tentacool popped up! I was so excited! A GOOD water pokemon! I caught him, named him Borealis, and moved on. Now my party consisted of Tea Co. Overpower, Sulfur, Wobble, Borealis, and Ziggs. Everyone except Ziggs and Tea Co. were 32/33. Tea Co, evolved at level 36 from all of the Team Aqua / Trainer battles on route 119. As I went into Fortree I realized something was blocking the entrance of the gym so i went to Route 120.. where you get the Devon Scope and battle Kecleon. I thought when Steven said, "Are you ready for a battle?" he meant vs him but no.. I fought a level 30 Kecleon and caught it since it was only option for route 120. After that, I battled all the trainers on Route 120 and battled some trainers who wanted rematches. Another thing I've learned is that the Pokenav doubles as a VS Seeker.. I was thrilled to hear that! I got the TM for Ice Beam on the Abandoned Ship near slateport and the TM for Sludge Bomb from Dewford so Borealis (who evolved into Tentacruel by this point) had a really nice moveset (Barrier, Sludge Bomb, Ice Beam, and Surf). I went back to Fortree to battle Winona with the following party:

Tea Co. - Level 36

Overpower - Level 33

Sulfur - Level 32

Borealis - Level 35

Wobble - Level 33

Ziggs - Level 13

WINONA and the FLYING GYM:

For the most part, I used Overpower to beat each trainer. I taught OP Shock Wave so I'd have a back up for Borealis and needed to level him so the trainers before Winona were my best bet for xp. Winona led with her level 31 Swellow and used Double Team but OP hit with Shock Wave for a 1HKO crit. She sent out her level 32 Skarmory and I sent out Sulfur to counter it. I had recently taught Sulfur Flamethrower with a TM so I knew it'd be an easy fight. Flamethrower brought her to 1/4 max and Sulfur KO'd on the next turn. She sent out her level 30Pelipper next and I switched to OP. OP was faster and took the Pelipper out with Shock Wave. Next was her level 33 Altaria. I couldn't remember exactly what it was but I *knew* something was odd about that pokemon. I used Shock Wave and not only was it not super effective, it did about 1/8 her max hp.. and she used Earthquake. So OP was in the red and Shock Wave wasn't doing anything. I finally remembered what it was about Altaria however: She's Flying and DRAGON. I sent out Borealis knowing it was my only chance to KO but i knew in the back of my mind EQ would 1HKO him so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Ice Beam did the job and I walked out with my head high, all my pokemon and a new badge. 6th badge aquired!

I left and beat up Team Aqua on MT. Pyre and watch them steal a sub from Capt. Stern. Then I went to their "Secret" base and cleared them out. It was good xp for Wobble (WHO EVOLVED INTO EXPLOUD!!!!!!!!!) and I got the Master Ball. I walked around battling all the trainers who manted rematches again and found Wattson in the middle of Mauvile City. My first though was honestly, "OKAY BITCH. REMATCH RIGHT HERE. YOU TOOK FELIX!!" I guess Wattson saw Sulfur in my party (who was now Camerupt and knew Earthquake) and didn't want the rematch so he sent me to turn off a generator. I did that, regretfully caught a Voltorb (I had found an Electrode named Bom Omb in the team Aqua base) and Wattson gave me to TM for Thunderbolt. Then I decided to go to the 7th gym with the following party:

Tea Co. - Level 40

Wobble - Level 40

Overpower - Level 42

Borealis - Level 40

Sulfur - Level 40

Ziggs - Level 13

TATE&LIZA and the CRAZ---- I mean, PYSCHIC GYM:

I don't know if it's just the fact that they're Pyschic's and can read peoples minds, but they're f'ing crazy. Every Trainer said something about reading my future or levitating something. OP was even getting a little edgey. I cleared them out and went to the Doubles battle with Tate&Liza. I personally think they're should be MORE doubles matches in gyms with maybe even an option to team up with a friend.. OR a level 100 version of the Elite Four where you team up with a partner and try to clear them! That would be so cool.. Until you fought Gary and Red in a doubles match. ANYWAY here's the battle:

Level 42 Solrock / Level 42 Lunatone (vs) Level 42 Overpower / Level 40 Tea Co.

We start the match with OP / Tea Co. being faster than Solrock and Lunatone so a quick Leaf Blade + Shadowball KO Lunatone as Solrock uses Sunny Day. I switch Tea Co. out for Sulfur and have Sulfur stack Amnesia while Overpower uses Shadowball. Luckily, Solrock focuses on Sulfur and Flamethrower does 10 damage and OP KOs on the next turn with Shadowball. Woot! 7th badge! ughhh... this was honestly my least favorite gym. I rolled through it. There was no danger or risk. Overpower wasn't going to go down by any hit and the quick KO a Luna nailed it from turn 1. I do appreciated the Sol / Luna combo though b/c I've been playing Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

After that battle I find Team Aqua in an underwater Cavern and they chase away Kyorge who brings the pain or rain rather (corny pun joke smile here) and I've got to go stop it. So I went to the Cave of Origin, Master Balled Kyogre (CATACLYSM) and went on my merry way. Now it was time for the 8, and final gym battle! WOO! I wasn't very excited however.. Water Gym vs. Tea Co? Wallace, please.

Team before Gym Leader:
Tea Co. - Level 43

Overpower - Level 42

Sulfur - Level 41

Wobble - Level 41

Borealis - Level 40

Cataclysm - Level 45

WALLACE and the WATER-GYM:

I went through the Ice puzzle and fought all of the trainers to level up Tea Co. a bit and got to the Leader in about 5 minutes. Wallace led with his level 40 Luvdisc and I sent out Tea Co. Tea Co. 1HKO'ed with Leaf Blade. Then Wallace sent out his level 40 Sealeo.. and Tea Co. 1HKO'ed with Leaf Blade. Wallace was then going to throw out his level 43 Milotic. Now, I don't know a lot about this Generation but I personally have leveled a Milotic to level 82 once.. and you just don't mess with that chick. She will rape your face. You can be 20 levels higher and still lose to Milotic. So I switched to Cataclysm and started stacking Calm Mind. Milo alternated between Recover and Water Pulse. Between confusion damage and waterpulse damage, Cata was in the yellow before 1HKO'ing Milo with Surf (+5 Calm Mind for those curious). After Milo went down, Wallace went with his level 42 Whiscash and I sent Tea Co. for the quick 1HKO with Leaf Blade. Wallace went for it all with his last Level 42 Seaking who.. was 1HKO'd by Leaf Blade. 8th badge aquired! WOOT!

I'm sorry guys. I've let ya'll down here. There was no real "exciting points" in these battles. This update blows. Sorry... OH WAIT! I forgot the M!@#$!@#!@$! Victory Road. I had my repels and my pokemon all set up ready to go through to Ever Grande City. Between the entrance of the cave through to the end, my pokemon somehow all were in the yellow. Cataclysm was PC'd so I could have Ziggs back and I was in bad shape. I saw the exit though. That Shiny cave door with the words EXIT in bold red letters and.... Wally shows up.

Battle with Wally...:

Luckily Borealis was at the head of my party at level 43 and he led with his level 44 Altaria. Ice Beam 1HKOs and I'm praying to go I have double type advantage for all of this. His next Pokemon was his level 43 Delcatty. Now, there are very few pokemon i am *afraid* of fighting but Delcatty is one of them. Actually, anything with Cute Charm / Attract scare me. For some reason, being immobilized by love happens all the time in any pokemon game I play. It's like permanent paralyzed state except I can still be poisoned and such. I send out Overpower and wear Delcatty down with Shock Wave. I KO with a crit right as OP goes down to 3 hp. I was relieved to be done with that except I had forgotten something.. Wally is the kid you help get Ralts which means he'll have Gardevoir now. I just lost my Pyschic counter. Sableye is one of the slower Ghost types and in no way is faster than Gardevoir. My only chance at surviving that would be a lucky switch.. but I ignored that for now because he sent out his level 41 Magneton and I switched to Sulfur. (A side note- Camerupt and Exploud are two of my favorite pokemon now.. Still haven't bypassed Charizard but they're way up there). Sulfur is immune to the Thunderbolt and I 1HKO I used Amnesia. I know some of ya'll are thinking, "Why not just go with the easy 1HKO Flamethrower?" My plan was to stack Amnesia for a Gardevoir counter.. Pyschic's are terrifying UNLESS you have a huge camel pokemon that knows Earthquake. So I get a few Amnesia's in before the Magneton does any damage (Kept trying to hit with Supersonic and missing) and then it does a HUGE amount of damage with Tri Attack. I was brought down to the red with one attack. I had no idea Tri Attack was so strong.. I went for the Flamethrower on the next turn knowing no one else could take it and Magneton used Tri Attack MISSED and I 1HKO'd with Flamethrower. I pretty messed up at this point.. Borealis, Wobble and Tea Co. were my only fighters left that could survive any hit. And the level 44 Roselia came out. I switched to Borealis and got a very lucky 1HKO Ice Beam crit that ko'd her. Now it was just a matter of dealing with the level 45 Gradevoir. I switched to Tea Co. and used Giga Drain hoping to get some hp and I knocked about 1/3 of it's max hp out and got decent amount back which was good because.. Pyschic knocked Tea co down to 11 hp. I had NO counter left. I had no idea what to do. Nothing could safely take a Pyschic. I didn't know who to use or what to switch to. My first thought was use Ziggs as fodder and go with Wobble for a quick 1HKO shot, but I couldn't.. I don't know why but I just couldn't bring myself to Fodder Ziggs. Toad? Sure, I could Fodder him if he was there but I just couldn't bring myself to Fodder Ziggs so I switched to Wobble. It was risky and until I switched I didn't realize I was actually risking Wobble as Fodder at this point. I've gotten so used to Wobble taking any hit that I didn't even think about the potential 1 shot Psychic. Luckily, Gardevoir used Future Sight. I had one shot at this.. If Gard used any attack the next turn, even if I survived, Future Sight would finish Wobble. I closed my eyes, and attacked with Hyper Beam... Gardevoir used psychic first and brought Wobble from 87 hp to 2. He survived the Psychic and I was so proud. It wasn't until I saw the animation for Hyper Beam begin that I realized I would lose him if he didn't KO with that Hyper Beam. Future Sight doesn't miss or at least, I've never seen it miss. It was a moment of panic where i realized I just gambled Wobble. Hyper Beam hit.. and it KO'd Gardevoir. I literally cheered and was so excited. I had to put down the game and just cool down for a sec. This would've been done a very long time ago had I not made the choice to level Wobble and I knew that but here.. my run would've ended right before the Elite Four if I hadn't KO'd. I felt a huge relieve and new bond with him.. it was incredible. I know I'm no where near ready for the Elite Four right now but I'm there right outside of the Victory Road. I've survived odds I never thought could be overcame with Pokemon I never thought to use. I've made it through all the gyms, all the trainers, Team Aqua's BS, and everything the game has thrown so far and now I face my last two challenges: Leveling for the Elite Four and ultimately beating it.

I have no pokemon that knows Fly either so I'm stuck in VR for leveling.. yes, Sapphire want to laugh at me a little bit they've allowed me to NEVER encounter a flying pokemon.

January 13, 2011 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

B "Diddy" M

So for incorrectly typing "Psychic" some many times. Guess I was still caught up in the Wally battle.

January 13, 2011 at 6:17 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

DUDE

that is the single most... i don't want to use the word epic because i've used it so much already is describing this run.

too... much... pure... WIN...

sorry, i need a minute to catch my breath...

alright, better.

first off, you are absolutely FLYING through this game. except you're not because you didn't get any flying-types. if you left any water routes untouched, maybe you can get a pelipper/wingull?

and then... that Wally battle...

that was just too great for words.

since you're nearing the elite four battle, i meant to ask... would you like to stream your final battle on our tinychat page? all you need is a working webcam, really. i know i'd love to see this happen live.

--

The destructor has gone

January 13, 2011 at 6:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

222 views - 0 comments
216 views - 1 comment
280 views - 4 comments
242 views - 0 comments