Predictable Randomness

Forum

Forum Home > Nuzlocke Runs > Update Thread: Nick's Leafgreen Nuzlocke Run

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

so i finally decided to do this after months of procrastination. there's another thread here that explains the rules i'm following on this run, this is just for me to update you guys and for you to provide me moral support in this grueling process =)

12NOV10

Last save: Celadon City

Party:

GERALD (Venusaur) lv.32

PUDGE (Pidgeotto) lv.30

HELENA (Gyarados) lv.26

ROCHELLE (Golem) lv.25

J-DOG (Jolteon) lv.25

CH'DING (Farfetch'd) lv.15

i'm bringing you all up to speed a little late, so i guess i'll introduce my guys now:

*Gerald- started with bulbasaur because he breaks the first part of the game, was critical to my even making it so far. his name is meaningless, i just wanted to name him Gerald. it's a nice name.

*Pudge- name derives from "pudgy" which sounds like "pidgey." my second attempt at raising a pidgey. my first one died at the hands of a faggy crit by a wild rattata. found this one on route 3, right before mt. moon. which is NOT the route with the pokemon center where i bought Helena. speaking of...

*Helena- the magikarp from the mt. moon pokemon center, now a gyarados. disappointing nature and underwhelming stats but still quite OP'd for where i am in the game. i was going to name her "Rape Train" after Comriku's catchphrase, but she turned out female and it just didn't sound right anymore. so i named her after the song by My Chemical Romance.

*Rochelle- geodude i caught in rock tunnel, was a golem about 30 mins later. named after Ashley's female Golem she uses in Platinum.

*J-Dog- obviously, the eevee you get in celadon, but i evolved him right away because i didn't get a pikachu or voltorb, so this was like my only chance to get an electric-type. named after a member of Hollywood Undead, and because he's a dog whose name starts with J.

*Ch'ding- the farfetch'd you get in vermilion for a spearow. HM whore. nothing more to say.

I have these guys in the PC, may bring them out from time to time:

BUTTERZ (Butterfree) lv.20

BUMPY (Dugtrio) lv.27

Total casualties: 4

now that all that's out of the way, on to the actual update! =D

today i left rock tunnel with my team intact, although i really went through it 1 and a half times because Butterz got poisoned halfway through -.- but i managed to dig out of there and save her life.

did a bit of grinding and evolved Rochelle into a graveler, then immediately hooked up with firered and evolved into golem. this made Bumpy expendable and pushed her out of my regular roster, although she's still a fine backup.

i only caught two things today, both were meowth -.- except i made a dame (read: da-may, for those who don't speak nihongo); i caught the second one on my way to get the fly HM. meaning i cannot capture that snorlax now =/ so i only get one shot at the one on route 12 and he's a bitch. kinda want one for the fight with articuno, but i'm considering just using the master ball on him anyway.

got the eevee in celadon, bought a thunderstone, evolved him, taught him shock wave. yawn.

finally, the battle for the rainbow badge! blew through erika's gym with Pudge's wing attack. erika herself provided a bit of a struggle though. victreebell goes down in 2 hits from Pudge, but gets paralyzed in the process. also 2HKOs tangela but is now too weak for me to let it face vileplume comfortably. but i have a plan. i go to Gerald, planning on putting it to sleep and then setting up leech seed to give Pudge some health back. only i forgot leech seed doesn't work against other grass types. so i sit there, constantly missing sleep powder, trying to figure out what the hell to do since Pudge is my only reliable grass-killer, and i'm about to get Gerald killed as acid is doing a hell of a lot more than i thought it would. i give up on sleep and tackle a few times, it's about halfway but Gerald is on the verge of death. then i remember something =) i switch out to Helena, who finishes it off by FIRIN' HER LAZAH!!! that's right, i taught her hyper beam before the battle to take advantage of her monster ATK stat =) 

A WINRAR IS ME! VICTOLY!

and i didn't lose a single poke, although i coulda lost two.

tomorrow, the rocket hideout and hopefully the completion of my team as i catch a gastly and evolve it into gengar!

November 13, 2010 at 2:21 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

it's likely i'll do some more playing before the day is over, but i've accomplished so much already i wanted to update now. look for another one possibly later tonight.

13NOV10

Last save: Fuchsia City

Party:

Gerald lv.33

Pudge lv.30

Helena lv.30

Rochelle lv.31

J-Dog lv.31

Starwho? (Starmie) lv.30 *NEW*

started the day by blowing through the rocket hideout. i pretty much raped it in the face, nothing much to say there.

lavender tower was next, and i was excited because i wanted my gastly! well... i found it... and it committed suicide -.- i slept it with Gerald's sleep powder, whittled it down, but then it woke up and used curse... while under half HP. HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU????? whatever. i don't even WANT a pokemon that dumb. rival was no issue, and Helena OHKOed everything else in the tower with bite. leveled up nicely at that.

so now that i had the pokeflute, i was free to do whatever i wanted. i chose first to kill the snorlax to the west of celadon, since i couldn't catch it now anyway. made it to fuchsia, caught an exeggcute, paras, and doduo in the safari zone. my fourth was a female nidoran that just didn't want to be caught, whatever. not that i'll use any of the others either...

then i started thinking how screwed i'll be in the next gym if i don't get some sort of competent psychic type. that was the plan for gastly... my only other option was exeggcute, but i didn't want another grass-type. then i remembered one of my competitive battling favorites, starmie! i ran to bulbapedia and looked up the best place to find one... since i considered pallet town to be a non-option because that's where you get your starter, and i can't go to one island for quite some time, i realized i had one chance: staryu has a 40% appearance rate in vermillion city when fishing with a super rod. so i ran to route 12 to get the rod... then i remembered the snorlax in the way. i tried to catch it, but... Rochelle got a crit and killed it -.- so no snorlax for me this runthrough.

anyway, i got the rod and flew to vermillion. i fished about 5 times before i even got a bite. finally, i get my first bite and... FUCK YEAH SEAKING! i mean... fuck yeah staryu. bc that's what popped up! caught it, named it Starwho? (obvious pun), taught it psychic and surf, and grinded (ground?) for about an hour til it got to the level it's at now.

my next goal is obviously koga's gym, but i'm scared to start... i just KNOW i'll lose something to a selfdestruct/explosion or to not being able to get it to a pokecenter fast enough after being poisoned. i'll resume when i build up the courage, or if i get good and drunk tonight.

November 13, 2010 at 7:40 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Cecil-Jacobs

I feel that. I had to partake in my fair share of substances to bother challenging Blue. Lord knows what I'll need before I get the gumption to fight RED.

November 13, 2010 at 8:48 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

i beat koga. DRUNK. without losing ANYONE. so SUCK IT.

13NOV10

Party:

Gerald lv.33

Pudge lv. 31

Helena lv.31

rochelle lv.32

J_doglv.34

Starwho? lv.37

obviously relied on Starwho? quuite a bit but that was the purpose of getting him so whatev. don't trust myself to do anything else atm so i'm saving here and i'll take on silph co. tomorrow. actually, first i'll probably finish going through route 12-13 and killing shit to level up, THEN take silph co. guess i go after articuno soon. still trying to decide if i wanna master ball him or not. only get one shot... and i need reliable ice for the elite four. hopefluuy i beat blaine and all that tomorrow.

November 13, 2010 at 11:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

WOW a lot happened... i won't list my party til the end of the update this time because i don't want to spoil what happens... just... read for yourself...

i started the day exactly as i said i would: by blowing through routes 12-13 to level up. once that was done, it was time to take on the silph co. building. i did that, nothing much happened of note. rival was easy, giovanni was easier. yawn.

beat the fighting dojo for extra level ups for Starwho?, then i took on sabrina's gym. the cronies were total pushovers, but i still refused to underestimate sabrina herself. i was so scared i decided to implement a special strat on her alakazam. i actually went out of my way to go level up J-Dog from 36 to 42 so he'd learn thunder wave. i'd then paralyze it twice (because i knew she'd full heal it the first time), then confuse it with Starwho? and whittle it down with surfs from Starwho? and/or Helena, my two most capable special walls.

so all goes according to plan starting the battle, Helena OHKOs kadabra and mr. mime and Starwho? OHKOs venomoth. then out comes the 'zam, so i switch to J-Dog. it's a good thing i leveled him up so high, because 'zam's first psychic took J-Dog to the red. i got off my t-wave (synchronize paralyzed me too, which i admit i forgot about) but i didn't want to lose J-Dog so i'd have to deal with no paralysis. then i turn to plan B, which was Starwho?'s confuse ray. i kid you not... i confused it three times, it NEVER hit itself, and it snapped out of confusion on the second turn each time. confuse hax hate me both giving AND receiving, apparently. during this time however, she was able to get three calm minds up. meaning not only am i doing no damage to her, but a Calm starmie (Calm lowers ATK but raises Sp.Def) with psychic resistance was taking over half damage from that alakazam's psychic. so it's at about 70% and i am DONE, i have J-Dog in the red and paralyzed, Helena in the red and Starwho? in the red. Gerald and Rochelle would have been OHKOed and slower, and i just went to Ch'ding as death fodder (played Angie by the Rolling Stones as a tribute). so i'm down to a hail mary, i'm in danger of not only losing a poke or two but losing ALL OF THEM. this is the end of my run right here. so i send out Helena one last time... she's slower. so alakazam goes first and... uses Future Sight. giving my beautiful darling Helena one last chance to FIRE HER LAZAH and down it goes in one shot! =D HYPAH BEAM, BITCH!!! Yesh! Yesh! Show me your moves! FUCK YEAH SEAKING! A winrar is me! Every other success meme you can name! EPIC VICTOLY!!!

after this i level up Gerald and J-Dog some more on the water routes. i used repels the whole way so i didn't encounter a wild pokemon, i'll decide what i want to go for later (be it surfing or fishing). matter of fact, i didn't encounter a single wild pokemon all day. all i got was the lapras in silph co. and hitmonlee in saffron.

pokemon mansion and blaine tomorrow (or later tonight, depends on how i feel), then i WILL be taking the optional trek to one island and doing that sidequest for teh experience. my team has like 3 different ways to take fire AND ground, so this should be my last close call in a gym battle. in fact i only anticipate one more potential challenge all game til the elite four, which i'm about to go make another thread for...

14NOV10

Party:

Gerald lv.40

Helena lv.41

Rochelle lv.40

J-Dog lv.43

Starwho? lv.41

Pudge lv.31

Died: Ch'ding lv.15

November 14, 2010 at 6:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

14NOV10

Last save: Viridian City

Gerald lv.40

Helena lv.42

Rochelle lv.41

J-Dog lv.44

Starwho? lv.44

Pudge lv.31

pokemon mansion was a piece of cake, so was blaine and the first three sevii islands. there's really not much detail to go into here. i used repels in berry forest and caught the hypno that was molesting the lost little girl. taught Gerald frenzy plant in case i ever need a mad-strong grass move or something. tomorrow i will rape giovanni in the butt and then try articuno... i'm nervous =/

November 14, 2010 at 11:41 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

Project Articuno is a fail.

15NOV10

Last save: Cinnabar Island

J-Dog lv.44

Helena lv.43

Starwho? lv.47

Angela (Hypno) lv.30

I'mOnAboat (Lapras) lv.25

Moar Birds (Pidgey) lv.16

viridian gym was an absolute joke. hardly even worth mentioning.

with that out of the way, all that's left to do is prepare for the elite four. i figured now was as good a time as any to go for articuno. if you've been following the run, you know i've planned this intensely. i finally made my preparations. i spent about 50000 poke-yen-dollar-money-whatever-things on 50 ultra balls and 20 max repels.

i looked up the numbers. according to bulbapedia, a legendary pokemon paralyzed at nearly no health will be caught in an ultra ball 3.2% of the time, or in 28 tries on average. meaning that with 50 ultra balls, under those circumstances, according to the numbers, i should have caught it not quite one and a half times.

i lead with J-Dog, playing Before I Forget by Slipknot (which is my new favorite epic battle song, btw) who gets his t-wave off and articuno is immediately parahaxed so J-Dog doesn't take a hit. great start so far. i switch to Helena, parahax again. sweet. over the course of the three turns it takes to get off the dragon rages i need, Helena only takes one ice beam which does circa 40% damage. more than i was expecting but whatev. it's too low for me to be comfortable that it has 40 HP left so i switch to I'mOnAboat, my Lapras (bc it's a ferry pokemon... you see what i did there). i whittle it down with body slam, i get a crit but it actually helped because it was doing near nothing as expected. now i'm set up perfectly. i switch to Starwho? who walls it indefinitely because of recover. then comes the ultra ball tossing.

all fifty of them.

out of those fifty ultra balls...

i got three wiggles ONCE.

i tossed my great balls out of desperation, nothing.

i even had 4 pokeballs i threw in greater desperation, and just as his way of saying "fuck you," one of those wiggled three times.

so now i'm stuck facing the decision i didn't wanna make: articuno or mewtwo. articuno will help me beat lance and get through the challenge, mewtwo is basically just to say i did it.

but you know what?

CJ convinced me i don't need articuno's STAB ice beam to beat lance's dragons.

and i was kinda mad at him for breaking out of all 50 of my ultra balls.

so i switched back into J-Dog and i thunderbolted that motherfucker.

now i go grind for coins to buy TM 13 for Starwho?, then, well... i guess it's victory road and leveling up til i'm confident i can do this. it'll be boring til i face off against them so the updates will likely be scarce.

i'm also looking for a high-level sixth now, i'll get back to you on that.

November 15, 2010 at 4:01 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

Looks like a good run so far. Articuno didn't deserve you anyways. <3

--
November 15, 2010 at 10:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

awww thanks ashy <3 heh.

16NOV10

Last save: Victory Road

Gerald lv.42

Helena lv.44

Rochelle lv.43

J-Dog lv.46

Starwho? lv.50

Big Bird (Fearow) lv.40

just leveling up and working my way through victory road. not sure when i'll be ready for the elite four. i'd like to get em closer to 50.

also, i'm still trying to decide how to handle healing items in the elite four. i'll resolve all this soon, i hope

November 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deathpuddle

*rises from coffin* Larry Walker is pleased at your progress, my son. *falls back into coffin*

November 16, 2010 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

thank you for rising from your coffin to tell me that, Williams. i appreciate the encouragement greatly. i needed some right about now...

16NOV10

Last save: Indigo Plateau

Helena lv.50

Rochelle lv.46

J-Dog lv.49

Starwho? lv.51

SUCCESS (Zapdos) lv.50

Big Bird lv.40

Died: Gerald lv.43

alright, i'll get the albatross out of the way now: yes, i did lose Gerald. yes, because hax. i was leveling him up in victory road when i face a lv.46 machoke. i'm bored and tired of this, so i try to frenzy plant it away.

first of all, let me lay this out for you: Gerald's special attack, while i don't remember the exact number, was around 100. frenzy plant is a base 150 grass move, so factoring STAB, it had a power of 225. from a poke with decent sp.atk, to a poke with non-stellar sp.def. and it didn't kill. WHAT THE SHIT.

but even this wouldn't have been a problem. if the damn thing hadn't gotten a crit. but Gerald is hoss; he refuses to die. he hangs on by a thread. unfortunately, frenzy plant requires a turn to recharge. a turn in which you can't do anything, not even switch. so he dies after another attack from machoke.

i did a quick calc in my head and tried to figure out what would kill a machoke the hardest; i decided upon Starwho? using STAB psychic. 270 power, factoring STAB and weakness, coming from a poke with 119 sp.atk. in my imagination, that machoke's brain exploded as if it had taken a military-grade sniper rifle to the head.

but in the end, i had lost my starter, my very first Nuzlocke poke, the very reason i got this far. i never would've beaten brock without his vine whip, same with misty. leech seed stall is the only reason i killed surge's raichu after it'd double teamed six times. he wore down the vileplume that Helena eventually KOed. i gave him my very best tribute song, and then gathered the pieces of my broken party.

this left me with basically four useable pokemon. all lv.50 or close enough, and all very capable of holding their own against the greatest trainers in the land. as i try to figure out what to do, i go around to all the various dungeons, burning off the max repels left over from my failed articuno run, looking for items i missed. because i decided to use ashley's method for item usage in the elite four; more on that later.

the last place i visited was the power plant. at the end, i saw zapdos. then a crazy thought entered my head. i haven't encountered any pokemon here yet because i'm using repels. i have 8 ultra balls left over after of the 10 i bought to take into victory road (two were spent on a worthless geodude). i'm pissed because Gerald died, i'm pissed because articuno wouldn't go into a single one of 50 ultra balls, and i'm taking it out on you, Zapdos. i'll make an honest attempt to capture you, but the minute i run out of balls or the minute i feel like you're about to kill one of my guys, i will fucking break you. let's go, bitch.

i lead with Rochelle who gives it a rock slide to take it to low yellow. it gets an agility off. i switch to J-Dog who takes a thunder wave, i then do the same to him. not really caring, i decide to shadow ball the rest of his HP away. it has a good chance it won't kill, it's not STAB, no weakness to it, and zapdos' sp.def is pretty nice. my gut was right, it didn't kill but it had just a sliver of HP left.

so i threw my ultra balls.

all 8 of them.

the 8th ball caught it.

after doing my best M.Bison impression, i named it SUCCESS because of what an epic win this turned out to be.

i considered going for moltres now, but i realized he's still useless and not worth the effort, even with my team in its current state. so my sixth is a lv.40 fearow i caught on route 23, Big Bird. i taught him hyper beam (which gets STAB) and he has an atk boosting nature, so i figure *maybe* he'll come in handy. though i doubt it.

as i touched on earlier, i've decided to listen to ashley, in part to make our runs more uniform and also because i do think it makes more sense. new rules for the elite four:

1. healing items are allowed and can be used at any time, but ONLY if they were found during your journey. you cannot buy ANY healing items ever. this includes held items, so i have a couple sitrus berries on my guys and i got the leftovers from using itemfinder where the two snorlaxes were too.

2. NO REVIVES EVER.

3. healing mid-battle is allowed. i didn't wanna do this, but i figured if the CPU can, why not me.

a few other notes, as you saw i bought the shadow ball TM from the game corner and taught it to J-Dog; i figure that's how i'll beat agatha's ghosts. i also completely redid Helena's moveset. now she's more like something you'd see competitively. she's got a sub-DD set that i think will wreck lance. i send her in on a dragonair who can't really hurt her, set up a sub, dance til the sub is broken, repeat as needed. lefties will help and i can heal whenever the subbing gets me low. as much as he likes to hyper beam, i should get a few free turns to set up. i kill the dragonairs with EQ and the nite with my own hyper beam.

i start the elite four as soon as i get the courage.

--

The destructor has gone

November 16, 2010 at 8:07 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

I'm sorry about Gerald. He had a good run. You handled it well, though, and congratulations on your Zapdos. I hope you rip their asses apart. 

--
November 16, 2010 at 9:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Deathpuddle

He's in the big hard drive in the sky now :(

November 16, 2010 at 9:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

MasterAshinator

Hopefully he won't get hit on a cyberhighway

--
November 16, 2010 at 10:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

the run is over.

16NOV10

Helena lv.52

Rochelle lv.46

J-Dog lv.51

Starwho? lv.51

SUCCESS lv.50

Big Bird lv.40

lorelei was a pushover. J-Dog wrecked her team with t-bolt. her slowbro yawned me, so i took the opportunity after killing it to switch to Helena to try out my new strat. i took this time to figure out what works and what doesnt, ex. i went for the kill after 3 dances and it didn't work. eventually i get to +6 atk +6 speed and destroy everything.

bruno was just as easy. Starwho? took on the first onix, the hitmonchan and the hitmonlee, but somehow hitmonlee was faster (what the shit) so Starwho? was hurt. i once again went to Helena here. onix breaks my sub after every two hits so it takes me awhile to get +6 +6, but once i do it's just nothing. this strat breaks the game, the CPU isn't advanced enough to know that some moves like lovely kiss and t-wave don't go through a sub. Helena's intimidate further broke things.

however, Agatha proved to be my first true test. Helena's only two damaging attacks are hypah beam and EQ, neither of which affect her haunter or her gengars. so i lead with J-Dog, who 2HKOs the lead gengar with shadow ball. golbat dies to a t-bolt, arbok dies to a psychic from Starwho?, then she goes to her second 'gar. i go to J-Dog again who gets a CRIT, but it takes it down to the red... however, she winds up getting screwed by her own sitrus berry. since it restored juuuust enough to make the CPU think she didn;t need to heal, and i'm faster, i take it out with one more shadow ball! the haunter dies to two more shadow balls after a bit of a struggle, really should've let Starwho? handle that one but w/e.

next up is lance, who, in retrospect, was the easiest of all. gyara dies to a J-Dog t-bolt, then he goes to dragonair who i set up all day long on with Helena. i get +6 +6 and sweep.

finally... the end. the last battle. Gary. MOTHER. FUCKING. Oak.

i look at his team on bulbapedia and realize my only good shot at setting up is to do it against the lead pigeot. so i lead with Helena, get up a sub and four DDs... then he uses whirlwind. FFFUUUUUUUUUUU.

after about 10 minutes i eventually get to where Helena has 3 dances and a sub up, and i kill the pigeot. however, during that time, in between subs, it manages to get two sand-attacks on me. HAAAAAX!!1!!1! well, this makes me miss about half my hypah beams and even an EQ, and if i'd mismanaged this by going lax on the subs or whatever, i very easily could have lost right there, after EVERYTHING. but... i didn't! i managed it perfectly and Helena swept!

meaning... i WON! i beat the elite four! without losing anyone!

now all i have to do is that crap-ass sidequest on the sevii islands and capture mewtwo and my run is... wait... WHAT DO YOU MEAN I NEED TO CAPTURE 60 POKEMON???

that's right. in leafgreen, in order to get the national pokedex and trigger the sevii islands event, you must have captured at least 60 different kinds of pokemon. i have 34. i looked in my PC, and even if i fully evolved every pokemon in there, it'd only give me 10 more. meaning i'd have to somehow find and capture 16 additional pokemon that i haven't had before. and there's no way i left that many areas open.

meaning, i'm forced to end it here. in order to capture mewtwo, i'd have to break the rules. which i cannot do.

i sure wish i'd known that. if i had, i would've master balled articuno... but then...

if i'd captured articuno, i wouldn't have gotten my epic zapdos capture.

might it have affected Gerald's death? i don't know if that's fair to say, but the reason i had lost both of those guys is what made me feel so desperate earlier today.

it's what made me think of ways to improve my shattered team.

it's what made me think of giving Helena a sub-dance set.

the set i relied on to win.

maybe it's an example of a blessing in disguise... maybe articuno broke free of all those balls to save my run. maybe Gerald died to save my run. maybe all those hax were haxing for me all along.

wow. now i feel like i just figured out that Atlas is Fontaine all over again.

--

The destructor has gone

November 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Mitsuo-Dexl

I am happy about your successful journey....

can't you just trade pokes over from the other games?

November 17, 2010 at 1:18 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

no, Del. that would be breaking the rules.

i have another thread that explains the rules i followed. one of them is that you can only trade to evolve something. ex. how i traded my graveler to make it a golem. but that's all that's allowed

--

The destructor has gone

November 17, 2010 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Deathpuddle

You have to trade it back after it evolves, right?

November 18, 2010 at 10:56 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Crimson DESTR0YA
Administrator

well yeah, i mean... that's the point of trading it in the first place.

--

The destructor has gone

November 18, 2010 at 1:47 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

180 views - 0 comments
175 views - 1 comment
237 views - 4 comments
200 views - 0 comments